Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest snippet on T-Mac from the Orlando Sentinel

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Latest snippet on T-Mac from the Orlando Sentinel

The orlando sentinel thinks mcgrady will probably ask to be traded to a playoff team, that's the latest from them this morning, http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

Playoff teams:
    East
    1. Indiana- Most likely target- McGrady for Bender, Jones, Pollard, Pippen and the #3 is the rumor
    2. Detroit- a possbility, but would TMac want to go to a team that just won the championship and risk not winning it next year. Too much of a risk.
    3. New Jersey- TMac for Kmart is interesting, but do you want to build around KMart
    4. Miami- I don't think they'd move Wade and they have nothing else worth considering
    5. New Orleans- unless you want Mashburn, I don't see this happening
    6. Milwaukee- nothing of value here
    7. New York- A distinct possibility if New York is willing to move Marbury
    8. Boston- Ainge won't sacrifice their future to become Orlando, they are better than Orlando. Plus TMac and Doc? I don't think so
    West
    1. Minesota- There is nothing here unless maybe Szczerbiak interests you.
    2. The Lakers- I guess if Orlando is where Kobe wants to go, it could work.
    3. San Antonio- Interesting. Lots of possibilities Ginoboli and 2 number ones could get it done
    4. Sacramento- Peja anyone?
    5. Dallas- A resigned Nash and Marquis Daniels would be fair
    6. Memphis- Like San Antonio, many possibilities, and I bet West already has an offer on the table
    7. Houston- Steve Francis in Orlando? I can see it now, the biching the migaines, the plantar fascieitis, the selfishness
    8. Denver- I would do a deal for the Nuggets young guys like Skita and Nene. Carmelo is a possibility.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

PacerStud

Default Re: Latest snippet on T-Mac from the Orlando Sentinel

That's quite a package they're talking about form the Pacers. Evidently, we have already traded Al to the Bulls. Almost interesting. Almost.

I would make that trade in a heartbeat, and i think im benders biggest fan.

i would just become a tiny magic fan as well.. honestly they become an instantly promising team if they do that deal.

Okafor or Howard
    gooden/juwon
    bender
    freddie/deshawn
    livingston or harris

not to mention their 3 second rounders. one of them has to turn out to be useable.

that is a team with a bright future. lose another 60 games and they can get a high draft pick next year too to get a real center. Or draft okafor or howard and pavel this year. or if the clippers do take livingston, take okafor and howard. i just think that trade would give them so many options.

sweabs

That's quite a package they're talking about form the Pacers. Evidently, we have already traded Al to the Bulls. Almost interesting. Almost.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. However, I still don't see it happening. Just in my dreams

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Took the words out of my mouth. I guess Al Harrington will be a done deal here.

It looks like Bulls: Pippen & #3

Pacers: Harrington

ANd then we trade those players and the number 3 for T-Mac. I like the deal. We are giving up alot to get a superstar. I think its worth it though.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

We will have a heck of a starting five. Of course, they will have to play 48 minutes a night.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Assuming Primoz is taken in the expansion draft:

C - Foster/???
    PF - O'Neal/Croshere
    SF - Artest/JJones
    SG - McGrady/Miller
    PG - Tinsley/Johnson/Brewer

That leaves us with NO BENCH. If we pick up some decent role-players, though, I'm okay with it.

Btw, what happens if TMac opts out at the end of the season? :

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Btw, what happens if TMac opts out at the end of the season? :
    Obviously, any team trading for TMac would need certain "assurances" that TMac would sign an extension.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

sweabs

Like Shade pointed out - that trade would severely deplete our bench. Either Larry and DW would have to do one hell of a job drafting some promising players, or we cannot afford to lose all those guys.

Took the words out of my mouth. I guess Al Harrington will be a done deal here.

It looks like Bulls: Pippen & #3

Pacers: Harrington

ANd then we trade those players and the number 3 for T-Mac. I like the deal. We are giving up alot to get a superstar. I think its worth it though.
    The first part: I like it.
    The second part: I hate it.

Why not just keep the #3 and Pip?

Assuming Primoz is taken in the expansion draft:

C - Foster/???
    PF - O'Neal/Croshere
    SF - Artest/JJones
    SG - McGrady/Miller
    PG - Tinsley/Johnson/Brewer

That leaves us with NO BENCH. If we pick up some decent role-players, though, I'm okay with it.
    Exactly.

I think that if Indiana could get T-Mac to tell Orlanod, trade me to Indiana for say Harrington/Pollard/Future 1rst Round Pick or i'll walk after playing here.

But if we were to lost our bench i'm sure we would fill it up and its not like we need the deepest bench or the best bench in the league, just ask Detroit.

If we ketp Brewer, Reggie stays [Still should get another guard for insurance there], we sign a couple of solid players. [Brian Cardinal played well last season, from Purdue.] Also Indiana would still need another center, one to backup Foster, He would have to be pretty cheap too. Chris Anderson? Not very good but solid I guess.

sweabs

Why not just keep the #3 and Pip?

Personally, I think it would be a little risky. The draft is not very strong - so I don't see why we would trade a guy like Harrington for a #3 pick who may or may not turn out to be a good player. I'd rather work towards getting a proven SG.

Its odd the Bulls would leave Pippen unprotected if they had plans to trade him.

Wow, this is big, and for some reason I think this has a chance of happening, has a better chance of not happening, but Ii think there is a chance.

No team would have a big three as good as T-Mac, J.O and Artest. 2 top ten players and a top 15 player.

Can those three work together, can Artest sacrifice some of his offense, and can T-Mac do the same

That is pretty amazing that they would say such a thing. However, I would be VERY concerned about our bench. As we saw from this year, you can't just put great people in the starting lineup and expect to win a title (ala Lakers). Then again, we are better than them.

But the bench thing really worries me. I think we need another real good bench player. I think we may give up too much here. If we can keep Fred, that would be better.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

That is pretty amazing that they would say such a thing. However, I would be VERY concerned about our bench. As we saw from this year, you can't just put great people in the starting lineup and expect to win a title (ala Lakers). Then again, we are better than them.

But the bench thing really worries me. I think we need another real good bench player. I think we may give up too much here. If we can keep Fred, that would be better.
    Our bench would be very weak. We'd definitely need to pick up a solid FA or two. And I agree that I would like to keep Freddie if at all possible, but then again, with Tmac getting 40+ minutes [not to mention Reggie] and Tins and AJ getting all the PG time, where would he play?
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Al to the Bulls for the 3 and Pippen isn't gonna happen. If Chicago was interested in doing that trade they would have protected Pippen in the expansion draft.

Our bench would be very weak. We'd definitely need to pick up a solid FA or two. And I agree that I would like to keep Freddie if at all possible, but then again, with Tmac getting 40+ minutes [not to mention Reggie] and Tins and AJ getting all the PG time, where would he play?
    I don't know if it would work, but let Freddie play some PG too. I think Reggie and AJ can move aside a little.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I don't know if it would work, but let Freddie play some PG too. I think Reggie and AJ can move aside a little.
    If we make the deal without Freddie included, at least it will give us a solid bencher, regardless of position. AJ and Cro aren't going to scare many people coming off the bench. Rick's proven [to me,anyway] that if you play well enough, he'll find a way to get you on the court.

Let this be true. This would kick such ***.

I absolutely love Bender. That said, this is the only trade involving him I'd be okay with.

Some thoughts:
    -UB's right. That's the best threesome since the '80's. Really, the only worry is if Ron would behave himself (what else is new?)
    -Besides that, the bench is a concern. However, there are a number of veteran role-players available as FA's this year. If we were to somehow swing this, I think a number of them would be lining up to sign here.
    -Also, as Detroit has shown (along with LA, for that matter), you can win without a bench.
    -One fear with trading JB and Al somewhere is they'll finally live up to their potential and make us look bad. Here, this is somewhat mitigated because they'll be going to separate teams.
    -Lastly, I don't care who we have to give up. If you can get TMac without giving up either one of your All-Stars, you do it!!!

Okay, between this and Chad Ford having us losing JJ instead of PB in his mock expansion draft, this is just too much hopeful thinking for me to handle. Must...not...get...too...excited.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I don't think we'll lose anyone in the expansion draft....

I'm registered with Orlando Sentinel online, so I'll go fetch the articles and post them for those who aren't.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Do the Pacers still have the Danny Ferry trade exemption? Can that figure in this equation?
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Tmac news article

Magic unsure of McGrady's future

GM John Weisbrod says Orlando is leaning toward making the top pick.

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted June 15, 2004

The Orlando Magic expect to know "pretty soon" whether superstar Tracy McGrady is in their future, but everybody else may be left guessing for some time.

"I don't know when the resolution will be made public, but we'll have it pretty soon," Magic General Manager John Weisbrod said Monday.

Frustrated after a 21-61 season, McGrady can opt out of his seven-year contract after next season, but the Magic have been pushing for an answer since this season ended.

Magic owner Rich DeVos will come to Orlando this week in hopes of speaking to T-Mac, who has said he is "90 percent certain" what he will do.

Magic President Bob Vander Weide told the Sentinel recently that he and DeVos want to know "whether Tracy is in or whether he's out."

In other news, Weisbrod said Monday that the Magic, who have the No. 1 pick in the June 24 NBA draft, "were of the mind to make the pick."

He said no team has swept them off their feet with a trade proposal in which the Magic could receive veteran players, a deal that might help McGrady win games and persuade him to stay.

Weisbrod said several teams who don't have lottery picks have called to inquire. He admitted "nothing is set in stone," and that normally the serious dealing doesn't occur until close to draft day.

A league source, however, said Monday that the Magic are trying to trade the No. 1 pick and that two teams -- one a non-lottery team -- are aggressively pursuing the pick.

But looking "at the value of the players involved," Weisbrod said he feels it's better to keep the top selection -- whether it's Emeka Okafor or Dwight Howard.

Okafor will work out for the Magic Friday morning. Howard will arrive Friday night with his parents and, according to his agent, Aaron Goodwin, will work out sometime Saturday "after the Magic have had a chance to digest Okafor's workout."

McGrady has scoffed at the available draft prospects and said he did not want to be part of a rebuilding project. He has lobbied the club to trade their draft pick for veterans.

If McGrady wants out, the Magic want to be able to trade him and receive compensation in the form of players or draft picks.

Weisbrod has said he has a "sense" of what McGrady will do, but neither McGrady nor McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem, have publicly announced their intentions.

It appears McGrady is ready to ask the Magic to trade him to a playoff team, and the silence of all parties may indicate that a deal already may be in the works.

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.
    [hr]

Shaq/Tmac article

Shaq gives advice to McGrady

Ex-Magic star tells friend to relax before deciding future

By Jerry Brewer | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted June 15, 2004

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Shaquille O'Neal has been there before. He has been Tracy McGrady, a frustrated Orlando Magic superstar pondering an escape.

With the Magic again at catastrophe's welcome mat, it is only proper to ask the Big Fella to opine.

"I talk to him all the time," said O'Neal, a close friend of McGrady who has become a sounding board in this stay-or-go dilemma. "I really can't tell you what we talk about, but I just tell him to take it easy and just sit back and see how things are going to go."

O'Neal has chosen to respect McGrady's privacy and offered no insight into which way his buddy is leaning. But he did defend McGrady, who has been criticized for harsh comments to reporters about his team and fantasizing over trade scenarios.

"T-Mac is a very emotional guy," O'Neal said. "He has a lot on his shoulders, and sometimes he speaks out of emotion."

Recapping the McGrady/Magic dilemma: Owner Rich DeVos and team president Bob Vander Weide expect to meet with their superstar Friday. They want to look him in the eye and try to get a glimpse at his heart.

McGrady has three more years on his Magic contract, but he can opt out after next season. General Manager John Weisbrod has said the team wants him to sign a contract extension before the season begins.

Otherwise, the Magic would trade McGrady out of fear that he would bolt and leave them with nothing in return.

Eight years ago, O'Neal left the Magic for the Los Angeles Lakers as a free agent. The organization lost a transcendent figure at center, received no compensation and had to start over. Four years later, it signed McGrady, who has blossomed into Orlando's second superstar.

"Shaqitis," a condition that causes the Magic and their fans to think in the past, prompted this panic over McGrady. It is overblown to say the meeting Friday will decide McGrady's fate, but it has become apparent McGrady is getting close to taking up the Magic on that trade.

"I always tell him, from experience, just to sit back and relax," O'Neal said. "Whatever happens, happens."

His mind is on the NBA Finals, but sources in Los Angeles say O'Neal has reason for an even greater interest in the McGrady situation. Reports are true that O'Neal, who returns to his Isleworth home every summer, has envisioned an Orlando reunion some day. It's a long shot, though, and some say he only mentions it out of his frustration with the dysfunctional Lakers. Chances are the Magic would have to retain McGrady to welcome back O'Neal.

O'Neal has two more years left on his Lakers contract, but he can opt out after next season, too. He has declared he'd like to buy the Magic franchise once he retires. Teammate Horace Grant, another former Magic player, said O'Neal mentions Orlando often and keeps up with Magic happenings.

It's a big jump from curiosity to homecoming, though. Besides, if McGrady leaves, the place might be barren.