Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And this is the part where I get confused.

I didn't think anything in my post was mean or insulting. (EDIT: After a third read-through, I could see somebody being upset by the Trek line. I can explain my reasoning, but I personally don't see liking Star Trek as anything shameful, although I'm more than a little behind on the lore myself. Other than that, it looks fine to me). It was apparently inaccurate, but none of those things were, by themselves, insulting. If somebody had posted that about me (either somebody brand-new to the forum, or an old-timer) I'd have laughed.

I guess maybe you could say that it's mean or insulting to try and figure out who people are based on their posting styles, but what exactly was it that you guys found so offensive?
    I just thought that it was unfair to basically label the guy as a bandwagon fan (since I am annoyed by bandwagon fans I may find this more offensive than someone who doesn't give a rats *** about bandwagon fans). And you basically called him dumb by saying his articles weren't "well-read." My philosophy is that if you think what someone has written is terribly off base than you should dissect it point by point rather than my saying what he wrote was just dumb. But I think I tend to be more sensitive than some people on this board. There are just different kinds of people on here. If Duke Dynamite or myself would have been subject to what you said, either of us probably would have been offended. If it was JayRedd, he probably would have laughed. I am just that way I guess and will try to develop thicker skin around here.

I didn't mean to insult you and I don't think you took it that way, but yea.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan
    I just thought that it was unfair to basically label the guy as a bandwagon fan
    Fair enough. But in my defense, never in my wildest dreams did I think that anybody could be a JJ Redick fan without being a bandwagon Duke fan. I honestly have always seen those two things as necessarily linked. I don't see how you could look at the kid as an NBA player and think "future Hall-of-Famer" unless you're drinking the Duke/Vitale Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    And you basically called him dumb by saying his articles weren't "well-read."
    Wait, what? What does the readership of his article on ballhype.com have to do with his intelligence? There are plenty of guys on ESPN.com that have huge numbers of people read their articles, but that doesn't mean they're intelligent. The two subjects aren't related at all.

I think perhaps you've misunderstood what I was saying. If I said it wasn't well-written, you could read that as an attack on his intelligence (maybe... although plenty of smart people aren't good writers). But saying it's not well-read just means that not a lot of people have read the article. How often do YOU go to ballhype.com to read analysis?

My philosophy is that if you think what someone has written is terribly off base than you should dissect it point by point rather than my saying what he wrote was just dumb.
    Like this?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...7&postcount=24

I wasn't even remotely insulted. And I still don't think I've insulted anyone.
    Last edited by Anthem; 07-18-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I just thought that it was unfair to basically label the guy as a bandwagon fan (since I am annoyed by bandwagon fans I may find this more offensive than someone who doesn't give a rats *** about bandwagon fans). And you basically called him dumb by saying his articles weren't "well-read." My philosophy is that if you think what someone has written is terribly off base than you should dissect it point by point rather than my saying what he wrote was just dumb. But I think I tend to be more sensitive than some people on this board. There are just different kinds of people on here. If Duke Dynamite or myself would have been subject to what you said, either of us probably would have been offended. If it was JayRedd, he probably would have laughed. I am just that way I guess and will try to develop thicker skin around here.

Whatever, the guy acted like a jerk and got called out on it. You don't need to apologize, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    Whatever, the guy acted like a jerk
    Sorry you feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam
    You don't need to apologize, period.
    Finally, something we can agree on.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think perhaps you've misunderstood what I was saying. If I said it wasn't well-written, you could read that as an attack on his intelligence (maybe... although plenty of smart people aren't good writers). But saying it's not well-read just means that not a lot of people have read the article. How often do YOU go to ballhype.com to read analysis?
    Yeah I thought you meant well-read in a completely different sense. I thought you meant such as "Tom failed out of North Carolina State after one semester, therefore he isn't very well-read." As opposed to what you really meant, an example which would be "dcpacersfan posts his articles on JayRedd's blog, which isn't well-read because no one knows the url."
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Banned

Sorry you feel that way.

Finally, something we can agree on.
    I clearly wasn't talking to you when I said that. You should apologize for the insults you posted instead of hiding behind a false ignorance of your own behavior.

I clearly wasn't talking to you when I said that. You should apologize for the insults you posted instead of hiding behind a false ignorance of your own behavior.

Quit being an oversensitive cry baby. Mods have already stated it wasn't a problem, so let it go.

Seems to be a problem with the mods then if I got an infraction for less. Favoritism at its best/worst.

I agree.

Anthem's post was kind of sarcastic ... but that has become his style of late.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Banned

Thumbs up Re: J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

but, since I'm here.....

Ferengi Miller = Dream Team Patrick Ewing

Anthem = Dream Team Christian Laettner

and

Cobol Sam = Jackie Chan

(Jackie "Cobol Sam" Chan is confused by the actions of others to a stranger)

(so Jackie takes his clothes off, and takes care of business)

(With Ferengi under his wing, he puts on a tuxedo and parties)
    Last edited by FerengiMiller; 07-19-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Ok, I think it's fair to say that this thread has now gone far enough off topic that we are now in a free fall.

I am going to agree with the CPR poster from above, it's time to move on.

With that in mind.