Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

Banned

Post J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

Written By: Brent Jonathan Beck

In a past interview with the Charlotte Observer , J.J. Redick said, “I think I'll be a role player like 80 percent of the players in the league are.” J.J. continued to say that he doesn’t “expect to be a star,” and he is just going to “shoot,” and “be a team player,” seems to fit the mold of the type of player Herb Simon, Larry Bird, and Jim O’Brien are looking for in their attempt to change the culture, chemistry, and style of the Indiana Pacers.

Since Redick was selected 11th overall by the Orlando Magic in the 2006 NBA Draft, J.J. was correct about one of his predictions, he hasn’t become a star. Redick not becoming a star isn’t a result of a lack in effort, injuries, or a bad attitude, but it’s a result of his head coaches Brian Hill (2006-07) and Stan Van Gundy (2007-08) never letting him play. In Redick’s first two years in the NBA, the Orlando Magic haven’t allowed the arguable best shooter in the history of college basketball the opportunity to shoot the ball, so the notion that Redick can’t play in the NBA is absurd because nobody really knows. Since Redick publicly demanded a trade for the second time in his young career Pacers fans can only hope Larry Bird sees the potential in J.J. Redick and attempts to package a deal to bring J.J. to the Indiana Pacers, just look at the career turnaround the last Duke player Bird brought to the Pacers had, Mike Dunleavy Junior.

To put Redick’s playing time with the Orlando Magic into perspective Flip Murray joined the Pacers for their final 23 games and played 529 minutes. In the same season (2007-08) with the Orlando Magic, out of the 82 regular season games Redick was only given the opportunity to play in 34 games, playing 276 minutes. Even 27 year old Andre Owens of the Indiana Pacers received more playing time (392 minutes) in comparison to Redick. In knowing Owens is technically a point guard and Redick a shooting guard, I still believe that with the Pacers currently rebuilding, having Redick on the Pacers roster and giving him 15-20 minutes a game would not only fill up more seats but with Redick’s upside he could ultimately end up a legitimate scoring threat, I know we just got Brandon Rush but Redick has been in the league for 2 years he is young and even more ready to step in and hell the Bulls had Michael Jordan but that didn't stop them from bringing Steve Kerr in for 20 minutes a night, good players find time and Redick would find time on our roster. Redick still has unknown potential and with hardly playing the last two years the Pacers could get Redick at a discount.

When first hired by the Indiana Pacers Jim O'Brien said the Pacers need to add shooters because he likes the 3-point shot. In shooting the three-ball his first season at a franchise record setting pace, JOB proved to the fans that he sincerely is committed to the three-ball, but as he said on an online chat transcript with fans on Pacers.com, "We don't want to take bad three-point shots, our definition of a good three is when we have a standstill open three-pointer." When asked who he believed were 3-point threats, JOB mentioned Granger, Dunleavy, Williams, Murphy, and Tinsley. With Tinsley likely out of the Pacers future plans, it is obvious that a 12 man active roster with a system and coaching style built around the three-ball needs more than a third of the players with three-ball capabilities. Now that T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack are goign to be running the show, that will open up even more open shots for Redick, especially with Ford's lighting fast speed and ability to run the floor like no other!

In 2004, Dick Vitale called Redick the best pure shooter in college basketball since Chris Mullin was at St. John's in the early 1980s and Pacers fans surely haven’t forgotten about the impact Mullin had on the Pacers when acquired from Golden State for center Eric Dampier (Mullin helped the Pacers to the 2000 NBA Finals). In reference to Redick, former AP National Coach of the Year Matt Doherty said, "If you were to teach a young man how to shoot, you would show him video of J.J. Redick because his form is textbook." During his playing days in college, no shooter received more attention from defenses than Redick, and that pool of players included the likes of Chris Paul, Ben Gordon, and Rashad McCants. With Paul averaging over 37 minutes per game, Gordon 31, and McCants 27 in the 2007-08 NBA season it makes no sense whatsoever that Redick averaged only 8 minutes per game with the Orlando Magic.

Many of the NBA experts projected Redick in the worst case scenario to end up in a similar role as Steve Kerr had during his 5 year stint with the Chicago Bulls. During his time in Chicago, Kerr averaged 23 minutes per game, shot 47 3P%, averaged 8 points per game, and helped the Bulls to three NBA championships (and two more later in his career with the San Antonio Spurs in a diminished role). One of the main arguments against Redick is that he is too small. With Kerr being 6-1 and 180 lb he was undoubtedly successful and useful in a pure shooter role player off the bench for Chicago, so why couldn’t the 6-4 190 lb Redick do the same for a team in the NBA like the Pacers? In his career at Duke, Redick made 457 three pointers, ranking number one in NCAA and ACC history. It is obvious that Redick can shoot the three-ball and the Pacers need more three point threats. With the chance of getting Redick for someone like similarly under utilized (and over glorified) Jeff Foster who is on the downside of his career, who many teams, including the Orlando Magic, need the strengthen their up front players (had talks with Magic fans who said they would be sad to see Redick go, but are fully open to the trade of Foster for Redick to help them win now) Pacers fans can only hope Larry Bird at least calls Magic GM Otis Thorpe about Redick. Redick is now stuck behind 3 other shooting guards as the Magic and Stan Van Gundy continue to screw this young man over, bring him to JOB and Larry, they will find him a place and he will thrive in Indy!

Awards Redick Won at Duke

James Sullivan Award
    John R. Wooden Award
    James Naismith Award
    Adolph F. Rupp Trophy (Repeat)
    Senior CLASS Award
    Consensus All-American (Repeat)
    AP National Player of the Year
    NABC Co-Player of the Year
    USBWA Co-Player of the Year
    ESPN National Player of the Year
    Sporting News National Player of the Year
    Basketball Times National POY
    ACC Player of the Year (Repeat)
    ACC Tournament MVP (Repeat)

Quotes About Redick

"I'm glad he's on our side because we still have a chance as long as we have him."

"He's off the charts with focus and commitment. Nobody has had more or done it better here...He's one of the truly great players to play in this conference. Of all time, this kid's a treasure. That's part of learning every year and not being satisfied with where you're at. He's a believer."

Duke Blue Devils Head, Coach Mike Krzyzewski

"He's more than just a shooter. He's tough and knows how to play."

Boston Celtics Head Coach, Doc Rivers

"I saw [J.J.] against Texas, and he shot the lights out. I saw him against Memphis, and he shot the lights out. Those are two fairly athletic teams. The ACC is filled with athletes who tried to shut him down, and he set the all-time scoring record."

Portland Trail Blazers GM John Nash

"He's the best shooter in the college game by far. His footwork, finish, rotation. It's flawless; it really is."

NBA shooting coach Dave Hopla
    Last edited by FerengiMiller; 07-18-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Default Re: J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

Sadly, I think I've actually seen people spell ridiculous that way, and they weren't trying to be clever.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Well, is he any good?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Any evidence of Larry Bird actually being interested?

Banned

All I know is when he was in the draft, he was one of Birds top targets and Bird wanted to trade up and get him, but we stayed put and ended up landing Granger (who Bird thought would be gone before Redick)... All I know is HoopsHype has said that the Redick trade rumors are starting back up again and they think he is on the open market... they are totally screwing the guy over, supposedly he works his *** off... he would be soo fun to bring into Indianapolis!!! I would love it, with the secrecy Bird and Jimmy M keep with their trade ideas and leads we will never know but I hope to god they are at least thinking about it.... imagine bringing him into our offense!!! The threes we shoot, its like the best scenerio of all time!!!!!

JJ Reddick was taken in the draft where we took Shawne Williams at 17.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a one dimensional player. All he does is shoot. He does it well, when he's open and set. He doesn't shoot off of screens at all. And unfortunately for JJ, the NBA is not filled with defenders shorter than he is. When you only do one thing it doesn't take long for NBA defenses to take it away. You can get away with being a one dimensional shooter in this league if you're 6'8" or taller, but he isn't.
    Last edited by travmil; 07-18-2008 at 12:59 AM.

Banned

He's a one dimensional player. All he does is shoot. He does it well, when he's open and set. He doesn't shoot offf of screens at all. And unfortunately for JJ, the NBA is not filled with defenders shorter than he is. When you only do one thing it doesn't take long for NBA defenses to take it away.
    Tell that to STEVE KERR babbbbyyy, coming outttaaaa ZONA everyone was saying the same thing... 3 rings with the bulls, 1 with the Spurs, he is a ptper and he is 3 inches shorterr than redick, keep hating on the kid, hes a hard worker, he knows his time will come I love thee.. Im living the American dream here, I know it might not happen but I know its going too, he might be one dimensional, but thats our main dimension baby, they said they same thing about Reggie, they said the same thing about Thunder Dan Marjle, they said it about Ray Allen, they said it about Rip Hamilton, let the kid on the court, let the kid shoot baby hes a PTPer who brings his lunch box to work

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sheesh , I thought this topic was about James Jones.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by FerengiMiller View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell that to STEVE KERR babbbbyyy, coming outttaaaa ZONA everyone was saying the same thing... 3 rings with the bulls, 1 with the Spurs...
    Yep, the Bulls won because of Steve Kerr. The rest of the NBA teams need to recognize they are just a JJ Reddick away from 4 rings. How silly of me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Every time I hear his name, I think of this picture:

But anyways, I don't see Redick contributing here at all. Diener is basically the same thing, but he can actually run the point effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    He's a one dimensional player. All he does is shoot. He does it well, when he's open and set. He doesn't shoot off of screens at all. And unfortunately for JJ, the NBA is not filled with defenders shorter than he is. When you only do one thing it doesn't take long for NBA defenses to take it away. You can get away with being a one dimensional shooter in this league if you're 6'8" or taller, but he isn't.
    i agree. All JJ can do is shoot the ball. Hes not a good defender, doesnt come off screens, doesnt rebound well, and cant attack the rim that well. Hes basically a one dimentional shooter. We dont need him on the Pacers. We have enough swingmen as it is. With Granger, Dunleavy, Rush, Daniels and Shawne Williams, there are you going to find time for JJ?

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Yep, the Bulls won because of Steve Kerr. The rest of the NBA teams need to recognize they are just a JJ Reddick away from 4 rings. How silly of me.
    [yt]QOCcd-iAljI[/yt]
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

Hey FerengiMiller, I know your new here, but one of the big rules is when you post an article like you did above, you have to prvide a link for it and post it along with it. The admins here watch that like hawks. They'll ask you to fix it and delete the whole thread if you don't.

Banned

Red face Re: J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

JJ Reddick was taken in the draft where we took Shawne Williams at 17.
    Wowsa... brain freezee..... youre totally right.. its late im retarded haha..

Banned

Exclamation Re: J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

Hey FerengiMiller, I know your new here, but one of the big rules is when you post an article like you did above, you have to prvide a link for it and post it along with it. The admins here watch that like hawks. They'll ask you to fix it and delete the whole thread if you don't.
    I wrote the article, I am Brent Beck, I dont think that is necessary, it is all my work brassiffff, I posted in on Indy Cornrows earlier in the summer and updated it to post on here tonight.... bada bing bada boom..... you know??

I think that settlees it arooggaaa

Heres the link: http://ballhype.com/story/j_j_to_the...ulous_thought/
    (keep in mind I updated it, so it includes the notion of JO stayin, etc. etc. yada yada hoopla, im a ptp author baaaby!!!!)
    Last edited by FerengiMiller; 07-18-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Mood

Hehe I was not aware of that. That DOES change things.

I'd love him in a pacers uni but he wouldn't get minutes..

Sports Logo

Redick said that he's pretty much a roleplayer. Although it's nice to have a roleplayer that can do it all.....a roleplayer is supposed to be brought in for limited minutes to do a few things great. In Reddick's case....fulfill the role of simply getting open, waiting for the wide open look and hitting a 3pt shoot for the few minutes that any roleplayer would get.

If we didn't have Stephen...I would consider getting Reddick just to see if he can fulfill the same type of role that Brent Barry did for the Spurs.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Hehe I was not aware of that. That DOES change things.
    Haha cool, glad we got that off the plate... now who are we trading for JJ babby Ill give them the trade exception ill give em Foster Ill give em anybdoy but the core, give em Diener, give em Jeff, givem Rasho, give em Marquis, give em whatever it takes baby! JJ is a PTPer, he is big time, he is america, hes clutch, hes got the shot, hes got the heart, bring em to Indy, give him a chance Larry, this kid went to school for the long run, he already won over the hearts of the NCAA, now let him take a shot at the NBA baby!

Banned

I would consider getting Reddick just to see if he can fulfill the same type of role that Brent Barry did for the Spurs.
    Get Graham outta here!!! He couldnt be Brent barry if his life depended on it baby, Redick could, redick would, Redick would be drainin them from downtown all night baby, give the kida shot.... Im looking bigger than brent barry im talking ginobli... actually thats pushin it... lets stick to brent barry baby!!! The kids got heart, the kid can shoot the lights out, he would be perfect!!!!

Sports Logo

I'm not feeling JJ Reddick. What can he do that Dunleavy can't? I basically see him as a poor poor man's Dunleavy.

We have enough wings. Yes, O'Brien said he would like more 3 point shooters. He also said he would like more defense since it was "horrible" last year. JJ won't fill that need.

I see it this way, he couldn't beat out Keith Bogans and Keyon Dooling for time. I believe this means, Van Gundy saw him play defense in practice against these guys and his mentality was "OK so JJ can give me 10-15 points a game but what good does that do me when he gives up 20-25 on the other end? " I'll pass. We don't need anymore defense liabilities.

The Dick Vitale thing is getting old.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

You're obviously in love, so I'll be gentle.

Not in a million years.

Quote Originally Posted by FerengiMiller View Post
    Redick not becoming a star isn’t a result of a lack in effort, injuries, or a bad attitude, but it’s a lack of talent and athleticism.
    There, I fixed that typo for you.

Since Redick publicly demanded a trade for the second time in his young career
    Right, because that just SCREAMS team player.

Pacers fans can only hope Larry Bird sees the potential in J.J. Redick and attempts to package a deal to bring J.J. to the Indiana Pacers, just look at the career turnaround the last Duke player Bird brought to the Pacers had, Mike Dunleavy Junior.
    Work out a deal for Tinsley and we're interested. Otherwise, what are we going to do with him?

Even 27 year old Andre Owens of the Indiana Pacers received more playing time (392 minutes) in comparison to Redick.
    That's a really telling point, but I don't think it says what you want it to say. I will agree, though, if you're saying that Andre Owens is more likely to be useful to an NBA team than JJ Redick.

having Redick on the Pacers roster and giving him 15-20 minutes a game
    You're on drugs. He's not going to get minutes over Rush or Dunleavy, and I'd rather play Danny, Shawne, Quis, or Graham at the 2 than JJ. Apparently, so would every other coach in the league. There's no way on earth JJ gets 20 minutes a game on the Pacers, and they're not a very good team.

It is obvious that Redick can shoot the three-ball and the Pacers need more three point threats.
    No, they don't. They have plenty of 3-point threats. What they need is somebody who can create off the dribble and lock down their man. JJ can't do either of those things.

With the chance of getting Redick for someone like similarly under utilized Jeff Foster

many teams, including the Orlando Magic, need the strengthen their up front players (had talks with Magic fans who said they would be sad to see Reidkc go, but are fully open to the trade of Foster for Redick to help them win now)
    Understatement of the year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

I completely agree with Anthem.

I'm sorry I don't see the logic in trading a big for a wing, when we already have too many wings and not enough bigs.(especially Jeff Foster)

This Reddick thing just isn't going to work. We need toughness!!