Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O'Neal seeks championship in Toronto

Default O'Neal seeks championship in Toronto

INDIANAPOLIS - Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen provided the blueprint for what Jermaine O'Neal hopes to accomplish as a Toronto Raptor.

O'Neal, a six-time All-Star who has said he's being traded from the Indiana Pacers to Toronto, said he watched as Garnett and Allen sacrificed personal statistics to win their first championships after being traded to Boston last summer. By taking the same approach, O'Neal hopes to shake the drama that followed him as a Pacer and win his first ring.

"I think you've got to be able to do whatever you need to do to make the team successful," O'Neal told the AP in a telephone interview, admitting he was a bit jealous of the Boston stars. "I watched Kevin and watched Paul (Pierce) and watched Ray win a championship, and it's probably the most emotional I've ever been watching a game in my career. I felt the burden being lifted off their shoulders."

O'Neal still carries the burden of having a solid individual career that lacks the ultimate team accomplishment. He was third in the MVP balloting in 2003-04, when he averaged 20.1 points, 10 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game. He averaged a career-high 24.3 points per game in 2004-05, then averaged 20.1 and 19.4 points the next two seasons.

Critics say O'Neal is too old to return to top form. He'll be 30 before the season starts, and he's missed 122 regular-season games the past four years, mostly due to injuries.

O'Neal hears the doubters, and hopes to prove them wrong.

"If I dominate and do things I'm supposed to do, and it's at an All-Star level _ that's what matters," he said. "Get in the locker room, get guys ready, bring an emotional presence, a defensive presence that I'm supposed to bring. If I can bring those things and the bitterness that I have right now _ because I am bitter _ I know where I need to get back to, I know who I am. I know I'm focused on this."

O'Neal is excited about playing next to Chris Bosh, an All-Star forward who averaged 22.3 points and 8.7 rebounds per game last season. He likes point guard Jose Calderon, a pass-first court general who emerged last season.

Mostly, he's looking forward to playing for a contender in front of loud, loyal fans, things he had as a Pacer before the November 2004 brawl between Indiana players and Detroit Pistons fans. In the fallout, most of the key elements to the team _ Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson and now O'Neal _ were sent elsewhere.

Off-the-court problems involving other Pacers further tarnished the team's image, and the once popular franchise ended last season with the lowest attendance in the league.

"The support just wasn't there," O'Neal said. "As a player, you want that stuff to be there, and rightfully so, it shouldn't have been there. The negativity should have been there, the perception should have been there because we didn't give ourselves a chance to look any differently."

The Pacers had an NBA-best 61-21 record in 2003-04, the year before the brawl. The past two seasons, they failed to make the playoffs.

"That probably was the hardest part for me, to go from talking about what we need to do to win a championship to coming into a situation where we're talking about what we need to do to make the playoffs," he said. "It's hard to watch some of my peers win championships every year."

Though he missed 53 games in the past two seasons to injury, O'Neal was popular with Pacers fans when he could play. He was third in fan balloting for the franchise's 40-year anniversary team, trailing only Reggie Miller and Mel Daniels.

He hopes fans don't forget his better days.

"Hopefully, at the end of the day, I can one day be looked at as one of the all-time greats to play for the Pacers."

O'Neal said he thinks the Pacers did well with trade, which brings them point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic and the rights to the No. 17 overall draft pick, center Roy Hibbert of Georgetown.

His departure leaves Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy, both coming off career years, as Indiana's new leaders.

"Those guys understand now how to carry a team," O'Neal said.

For O'Neal, however, this time is about a fresh start.

"I'm going to be back next year, and whatever happens, hopefully it makes the city of Toronto and the country of Canada really happy," he said.
    Yehhh. umm, not sure about this. His a really nice guy, but i dont think Raps will win a championship anytime soon. But if he thinks so, good on him.

Some real good quotes there.
    Last edited by granger33; 07-05-2008 at 12:09 AM.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Default Re: O'Neal seeks championship in Toronto

he needs to seek a knee surgent in TO

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The guy is pure class. Without a doubt one of the most genuine interviews in the NBA.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I know it probably isn't as funny as I find it, but now instead of having just Indiana on his back, JO has all of Canada. Even though it is not very popular..

But he was always a class act and I for one will miss him.

When will Toronto be trading for Kevin Garnett?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice story and all but JO will have to have quite the impact next year for Toronto to even get to the ECF.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's J.O.'s typical summer I'm better , I'll do better , I'll prove people wrong....Speech.

I'll put JO's over under for games played at 50.

The difference is . . he's not a Pacer. The ACC Will be loud as hell for him. Imagine J.O. playing every home game like how he played in GS last year before he got hurt. . .That is a dangerous Jermaine O'neal
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by granger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yehhh. umm, not sure about this. His a really nice guy, but i dont think Raps will win a championship anytime soon. But if he thinks so, good on him.

Some real good quotes there.
    i feel that the day the Rapters when a championship is the Year the Former Sonics comeout the Western Confrence.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best of luck, JO. I'll be rootin' for 'ya.

I hope he has a great comeback year. Will be weird seeing him in a Raptors jersey though. Make us proud JO, make us proud.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    The guy is pure class. Without a doubt one of the most genuine interviews in the NBA.
    Genuinely delusional.

Nothing has changed. Still talking big.

I am swearing to myself that at some point in time I am just going to have to walk away from all of this and not point these things out.....

But today is not that day.

I give you the pure wisdom of Jermaine O'Neal.

O'Neal, a six-time All-Star who has said he's being traded from the Indiana Pacers to Toronto, said he watched as Garnett and Allen sacrificed personal statistics to win their first championships after being traded to Boston last summer. By taking the same approach, O'Neal hopes to shake the drama that followed him as a Pacer and win his first ring.

Followed up by

"If I dominate and do things I'm supposed to do, and it's at an All-Star level _ that's what matters"

He doesn't get it, he never got it and my guess is he will never get it.

As I said over and over when he was here, I truely hope he is saying stuff like this because he thinks that is what his fans want to hear.

Oh I know a slew of people will be coming on here to tell me I'm wrong or am taking things out of context or telling me that I have convenieantly left out the second half of his quote where he talks about locker rooms, leadership and defense.

It doesn't matter, I've heard this speech before. I heard it the first day he was introduced to the fans as a member of our team and I've heard it every single time he has talked about making a comeback.

However I will give him credit for one thing, actually I will give him a lot of credit for this.

Not once did he say that the fans in Indiana were wrong. In fact he stated they we were right.

So kudos for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I am swearing to myself that at some point in time I am just going to have to walk away from all of this and not point these things out.....

But today is not that day.

I give you the pure wisdom of Jermaine O'Neal.

Followed up by

"If I dominate and do things I'm supposed to do, and it's at an All-Star level _ that's what matters"

He doesn't get it, he never got it and my guess is he will never get it.

As I said over and over when he was here, I truely hope he is saying stuff like this because he thinks that is what his fans want to hear.

Oh I know a slew of people will be coming on here to tell me I'm wrong or am taking things out of context or telling me that I have convenieantly left out the second half of his quote where he talks about locker rooms, leadership and defense.

It doesn't matter, I've heard this speech before. I heard it the first day he was introduced to the fans as a member of our team and I've heard it every single time he has talked about making a comeback.

However I will give him credit for one thing, actually I will give him a lot of credit for this.

Not once did he say that the fans in Indiana were wrong. In fact he stated they we were right.

So kudos for that.
    I think you make a valid point here.

I'm just curious if Jermaniac has his Raptors gear by now.

I do think Jermaine tries to say the right things but truly doesn't know what it takes.

He had me until he used the words ,'All-Star'. Same old J.O. I won't be
    rooting for him and I won't be rooting against him. I'm ambivalent.
    I just don't care.

If we're not gonna take the east, I can't think of another team to root for.
    If this is indeed they're starting line-up:
    J.O.
    Bosh
    Kapono
    Parker
    Calderon

I can't say whether or not this team looks like it could do something.

I hope they don't put him down as "center".

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

"Centre" he's in Canada.

Next stop June 2015

Yes, there's still some talk left in him. JO means well, but I'm glad that mouth is now out of the country. Yes, he typically does a good job with PR, but the dominating comment is so out of place it's not funny. He is not going to be the best player on that team and he should be talking about supporting Bosh. He also should be talking about staying on the court for a full season or at least 70 games. IOW, he should be considering how many games it took Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce to play in to win it all.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I agree. I thought he handled all this pretty well.
    "The support just wasn't there," O'Neal said. "As a player, you want that stuff to be there, and rightfully so, it shouldn't have been there. The negativity should have been there, the perception should have been there because we didn't give ourselves a chance to look any differently."
    Sounds really reasonable to me, and not even sports speak cliches to hide behind.

Good for him, go win the title, I could seriously get behind seeing a Bosh-JO team from Canada break through way more than I could DET-BOS-MIA. And if he does become an all-star and win the title, no pain here because clearly the Pacers weren't going to put him in that same position.

Unlike Kravitz this wasn't about blowing it up to me, it was too late for that. This was about adjusting finances and shifting the talent distribution on the roster in preparation for steps 2 and 3 the next 2 seasons, hopefully ending with a team finally ready to start making runs at it again.

If Hibbert or Ford fail it's just par for the course's risk. 17 was a good pick to get, getting size there was smart, getting Ford back gives you a fair shot at a quality PG. At least it was the correct attempt.

To be like Boston, they need three really good players, none of them 42% shooters, and who can play a full season. They do have Bosh.

Will Jermaine ever accept the type of Antonio McDyess 6th man role, 20-25 min/g, that his broken -down body demands?

I think his ego will never allow it, so it's best that he continues his self-deception elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to J.O.'s comeback making 'the country of
    Canada' happy. Apparently, he hasn't heard about the game
    of hockey. Once that season gets rolling, outside of a handful
    of folks in Toronto, Canadians have about as much interest in
    the NBA up there as they do the price of tea in China. In fact,
    I'll bet you could poll 1000 folks outside Toronto and you'd be
    lucky to find 5 who'd ever heard of J.O.

???

People are bashing him for wanting to play at an all-star level like once did? Tough crowd. Perhaps he should say "You gave up a pick, expiring and TJ. I hope I can come off the bench and spell Bosh for bit. Hopefully we will get to the second round."
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."