Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: couple of mike wells' articles on tinsley, trading

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default couple of mike wells' articles on tinsley, trading

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1062/SPORTS04

Pacers aren't done with trade market
    Team hopes to gain power forward, deal Tinsley before next season

By Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers began introducing new players Tuesday.

Team president Larry Bird said he isn't finished remaking the roster, however.

Bird said he hopes to trade for or sign a power forward and is confident he can trade point guard Jamaal Tinsley.

"As we made deals, we knew we were probably going to have an area that we needed to still address, and right now it's a power forward that can score down low," Bird said after Roy Hibbert and Brandon Rush -- two of the seven players the team acquired through trade -- were introduced. "Hopefully we're not done this summer."

The Pacers have 16 players under contract -- one over the maximum allowed during the season. Team officials said they can fill the hole at power forward through a trade because the Pacers have expiring contracts and a $2.7 million trade exception to offer teams. The Pacers also have their mid-level exception, which is about $5.9 million, to spend on a free agent. Bird said he will probably use only part of the exception if the Pacers use it at all.

"There's different ways we can take care of our needs," general manager David Morway said. "I think at this point, we're looking at the trade market at the moment."

The Pacers tried to solve both issues in one deal by offering Tinsley to Miami for power forward Udonis Haslem, but the Heat are reluctant to give up Haslem.

"We're talking to some teams, but it depends on if they are going to make the decision or not," Bird said. "We'll see where it goes."

Pacers officials said they expect to be able to trade Tinsley because 10 or 12 teams need a point guard. How soon that happens might depend on whether the Memphis Grizzlies trade one of their three young point guards -- Mike Conley Jr., Kyle Lowry or Javaris Crittenton.

Teams looking for a point guard might prefer to acquire one of the young Grizzlies.

Bird said Tinsley has lost weight and has passed physical tests by team trainers.

"It was obvious after the trades they made that they are trying to reshape the team, and we understand that," Tinsley's agent, Raymond Brothers, said. "We have a lot of respect for Larry Bird and David Morway because they have treated (Tinsley) well. David continues to check on him on a weekly basis."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Default Re: couple of mike wells' articles on tinsley, trading

If Bird could have pulled off the JT for Haslem trade, I would have never criticized Bird ever again for as long as I lived.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...oing_over.html

Not going over the luxury tax
    Posted by Mike Wells

I had a chance to catch up with Pacers Larry Bird about a couple things after the press conference Tuesday afternoon.

Bird said he doesn't expect the Pacers to go over the $71.150 million luxury tax.

The Pacers are in the midst of trying to trade point guard Jamaal Tinsley and acquire a power forward while also watching their money.

"We're up around $69 million right now and we don't want to go over the tax," Bird said. "You always like to save some money, but the thing is, our owners are not going to save money and not have a productive team out there, especially when we did the deals we did this summer. I think it's being able to move some pieces to get the type of player we want at (power forward)."

What the Pacers have in their favor is that there are several teams that need a point guard. Miami, Golden State and Cleveland are teams that come to mind right away. It's just a matter if those teams are willing to take on the remaining three years of Tinsley's contract and his injury problems.

Bird and general manager David Morway are actively working the phones trying to make a deal, but Bird said they aren't willing to give up any of their core players.

"We're not going to compromise some of our good players or our future," he said. "I can't say our roster is set because there are some things we're trying to do. "
    all i can say is, bird and morway both seem very confident they can move tinsley.

and i don't think any pf we can acquire with the pieces we're offering will be very good. haslem isn't too bad though, but i guess the heat aren't that desperate yet.
    Last edited by wintermute; 07-16-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would welcome a Tinsley for Haslem trade. And then Riley would be welcomed into his new home in the insane asylum.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...oing_over.html

all i can say is, bird and morway both seem very confident they can move tinsley.

and i don't think any pf we can acquire with the pieces we're offering will be very good. haslem isn't too bad though, but i guess the heat aren't that desperate yet.
    I think Crit from the Grizzz will go to Miami. Theyre seriously considering a trade for him. But if we can package a deal for Haslem, that would be amazing:

Ford/Jack
    Dunleavy/Rush
    Granger/Williams
    Haslem/Rasho
    Murphy/Hibbert

looks good

Holy crap yeah, Tinsley for Haslem would be great. Do it, LB

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    Tinsley + 2nd rounder for Haslem...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...4~11&te=&cash=

they make the same about of money but Haslem has one year less on his contract

Bird said Tinsley has lost weight and has passed physical tests by team trainers.
    Ok, this could be a flat-out lie... but I doubt it.

So... to everyone who gave me crap about not believing Tinsley had gained 40 pounds and was done with basketball... your thoughts?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    The problem isn't that Bird won't do it. The problem is that Miami won't.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

So... to everyone who gave me crap about not believing Tinsley had gained 40 pounds and was done with basketball... your thoughts?
    Now he's only up 38 lbs.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Even if they have no offers and trading prospects are dim, at least they're sticking to trading JT vs. buying him out, which is great if they ever hope to actually trade him.

That sounds redundant, but it makes a world of difference.

i think those were just speculations. For sure he didnt gain and lose 40 pounds already. I dont know who said that Tinsley gained 40 lbs but the only place I read it was here. If Bird says he passed physicals then i guess its true, hes the most crediable source.

Bottom line, Tinsley isnt going to be a Pacers this season. If this means a trade or a buyout....hes gone

2.7 trade exception, helpful.

Mid level exception helpful.

expiring contracts helpful.

He does have the makings of a trade there, so its not inconceiveable. I'd rather use Marquis expiring contract, if any, at this moment.

You could also us Maceos contract as expiring with the 2.7 exception and take on a player for around 5 million.

If they really can move Tinsley they'd still be under the luxury, or if they buy him out, I still think they would be JUST under it.

I've changed my mind on moving Foster, I want him to retire a Pacer. He is everything you want as a Pacer.

What low post type player can you get? I really can't think of any off the top of my head.

The problem isn't that Bird won't do it. The problem is that Miami won't.
    Oh, I know... but Bird needs to be aggressive with it. If that means advertising Tins to be a point God, he's gotta do it.

He gained wait from April until _____, and is now getting rid of it.

Also, no one said 40 pounds, and if they did, they're lying. It was supposedly 25lbs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I used to really hate Bird and thought he was an idiot. Now I'm really not so sure at all and after DW retired I was ready to give him a clean slate.

He finally traded JO which was something that needed to happen for oh, just about DW's last three years with the team. And Bird was able to pull it off right at the start of his first offseason in control when JO's value was lower than it was any time during DW's tenure. I also thought that the Rush trade was probably a great deal for our team as well. It was something very aggressive that Donnie would not have done.

I am not a big fan of Udonis Haslem but if Bird traded Tinsley for Haslem, then I'd have full confidence in him as our President.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

You could also us Maceos contract as expiring with the 2.7 exception and take on a player for around 5 million.
    If I remember correctly (from the days of the Peja/Harrington deals) you cannot combine as exception with a player.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

"It was obvious after the trades they made that they are trying to reshape the team, and we understand that," Tinsley's agent, Raymond Brothers, said. "We have a lot of respect for Larry Bird and David Morway because they have treated (Tinsley) well. David continues to check on him on a weekly basis."
    Whosawhat?? Brother(s), you just blew my mind.

In other words, Bird CONFIRMS the Tinsley weight rumors. What's he losing weight for if he didn't put any on? And if it's being mentioned then I'd say it was more than just regular summer weight but rather an issue Bird thought needed to be addressed when discussing Tinsley's value.

For example, you don't read "Bird said Tinsley has been working on his 3pt shot" or "Bird said Tinsley has gained some muscle" or "Bird said Tinsley has been working on agility drills". What freaking player needs to lose weight and pass physical tests just to be tradable?
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-16-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    If I remember correctly (from the days of the Peja/Harrington deals) you cannot combine as exception with a player.
    That's been my understanding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    What freaking player needs to lose weight and pass physical tests just to be tradable?
    Players coming off of a knee injury?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I'm encouraged to read Bird is STILL looking for a POWER FORWARD. Hopefully, he will find one, b/c Williams, Baston, or McDud aren't the type of PF the Pacers need to go along with Murphy/Foster.

Is the MLE a tradeable asset?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'm encouraged to read Bird is STILL looking for a POWER FORWARD. Hopefully, he will find one, b/c Williams, Baston, or McDud aren't the type of PF the Pacers need to go along with Murphy/Foster.
    Yeah, it's encouraging to hear Bird say this. I mean, we have PFs. We have 3 guys that are primarily PFs (McBob, Murphy and Baston) and three guys that can swing to the 4 (Danny, Shawne and Jeff). Obviously we have quantity. We lack quality...and Bird recognizes that, something that we've been saying this organization needs to recognize.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

40 and done with basketball is not the same as Wells/JMV talking about him putting on 25, maybe 30 with no confirmation as to why he gained that or any weight.

The "why" was always speculation and plenty of us saying the weight part was real WERE NOT giving reasons for why. Ultimately who cares why, putting on a bunch of weight would affect his value regardless of the reason.

If he put on 25 and has lost 10 then not one thing said so far by anyone reasonable is out of place. Bird's telling the truth and the hints of his true weight gain also remain true.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Physical test yes, but you lose weight because you gained weight. And it gets mentioned because it's significant enough to affect his perceived value.

If we are saying he put on weight because of the knee injury then I'm NOT disagreeing. That sure could be why.

The argument Anthem has going is that Tinsley didn't gain a bunch of weight because Bird said he has lost weight. Frankly I think that logic has a flaw.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-16-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Yeah but we "know" that doesn't apply with Tinsley.

Also, if we could get Haslem for JT, I'd crown Bird GM of the year. I'd even make the crown with my bare hands and place it on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!