Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

  1. #1

    Default ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Just saw this on ESPNEWS.

    No other players are listed so far. Are the Clippers sending Kaman to Denver? Or are they planning on starting a Camby/Kaman frontcourt?

    EDIT: ESPN.com has a story up:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3491156

    Sources: Nuggets agree to trade Camby to Clippers for second-round pick
    By Marc Stein

    The Los Angeles Clippers have agreed in principal on a trade with the Denver Nuggets to acquire center Marcus Camby as their replacement for Elton Brand, according to NBA front-office sources.

    Sources told ESPN.com that the Clippers will only have to surrender a second-round pick to acquire Camby, who is being jettisoned by the Nuggets purely for payroll relief.
    -----

    A 2nd round pick?? Are you kidding me?
    Last edited by Aw Heck; 07-15-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Surely Kaman is going to Denver. What else could they give up to land Camby?

    In other news, I guess Denver decided they didn't suck enough on D yet, so they pulled the trigger.

  3. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,040

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    A second round pick?!?!?!?!?! Holy crap.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. #4
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    HOLY CRAP. JUST FOR A SECOND ROUND PICK. Unbelievable. I hate trades based purely on money issues. RIDICULOUS.

  5. #5
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Did anybody listen to Bill Simmons podcast where he argued that losing Elton Brand might be good for the Clips, who needed a defensive shot-blocker and rebounder more than anything. He suggested Okafor but I think Camby will do.

  6. #6
    Thank you, Danny. Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,333

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    This is insane. What is Denver thinking?

    Are they trying not to make the playoffs or what?

    From the Clippers perspective, probably couldn't do much better with replacing Brand. Especially with what they gave up.

    Camby
    Kaman
    Thorton
    Gordon
    B Diddy

    Playoffs? I think so.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Denver has one of the highest team salaries in the league and the owner wanted them to cut costs.

  8. #8
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,283

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    you know, it was rumored that donnie walsh turned down a similar deal where zach randolph goes to the clips for a 2nd round pick. knicks fans must be rioting by now.

    and there you have the value of cap space. it's not so great for signing free agents (teams invariably overpay to attract free agents), but it's a great asset in the luxury tax era for taking on other teams' problem contracts.

  9. #9
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    So does Denver also get the mother of all TEs now?

  10. #10

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Can you say, salary dump?

  11. #11
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Didn't we have a thread not too long ago where everyone tried to argue that 2nd round picks are VERY valuable even though a full 65% of them never play in the NBA? Maybe Denver's GM took their advice.

    In all seriousness, the league should look into deals like this. While technically there's nothing wrong with these deals in terms of the CBA, they basically GAVE Camby away for a pick that might never play in the NBA.

  12. #12

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Take a look at the Nuggets payroll and you'll see why they did the deal. Next season they have the following obligations:

    AI: 22 million
    Melo: 14.4 million
    K-mart: 14.2 million
    Nene: 9.7 million
    Camby: 8 million
    Hunter 3.4 million
    Atkins: 3.4 milion
    Kleiza: 1.8 million

    That's a good 76-77 million tied up between 8 players with no bench. Plus, AI is a free agent after the season.

    Don't forget the NBA is still a business.

  13. #13
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,283

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Denver has one of the highest team salaries in the league and the owner wanted them to cut costs.
    yeah. it was a given that nuggets were going to dump one of kenyon, nene, and camby, and camby is definitely the easiest to move.

  14. #14
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yeah. it was a given that nuggets were going to dump one of kenyon, nene, and camby, and camby is definitely the easiest to move.
    But don't you think they could have gotten more for Camby? A conditional 1st rounder? Two seconds instead of one at least? An expiring contract? Something that doesn't give you the image of Denver's GM bent over a table? I mean, Camby isn't exactly a stiff. He's one of the best shot blockers and rebounders in the league.
    Last edited by travmil; 07-15-2008 at 09:51 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    omgy y diint the pacerssz du thes?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But don't you think they could have gotten more for Camby? A conditional 1st rounder? Two seconds instead of one at least? An expiring contract? Something that doesn't give you the image of Denver's GM bent over a table?
    In this case, the Clips are the ones with leverage. This is the equivalent of the Suns giving the Sonics 2 1st round picks and Kurt Thomas in exchange for 2 2nd round picks.

    Basically, the Clips knew the Nugz want to dump salary and DUMP SALARY NOW. In other words, the Nugz just wanted to cut salary starting this season, not next season, so not even an expiring contract would have done.

    Most teams in the league are over the cap. The few that are under the cap and are willing to absorb the additional salary are the only ones Denver had to deal with, so they are in no position to dictate what to ask for in return.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    omgy y diint the pacerssz du thes?
    Because the Pacers are over the cap (and don't have a large enough trade exception to take on Camby's deal).

    The Nugz just wanted to lop off Camby's contract starting THIS SEASON. They didn't want a matching expiring contract that they would have to wait to expire next year. They wanted instant salary relief. The only way to do that is to deal with a team far enough under the cap.
    Last edited by d_c; 07-15-2008 at 09:56 PM.

  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and there you have the value of cap space. it's not so great for signing free agents (teams invariably overpay to attract free agents), but it's a great asset in the luxury tax era for taking on other teams' problem contracts.
    Absolutely. Good call.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    And that's why the moves we've made so far are going to come to our advantage eventually.

  20. #20
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In this case, the Clips are the ones with leverage. This is the equivalent of the Suns giving the Sonics 2 1st round picks and Kurt Thomas in exchange for 2 2nd round picks.

    Basically, the Clips knew the Nugz want to dump salary and DUMP SALARY NOW. In other words, the Nugz just wanted to cut salary starting this season, not next season, so not even an expiring contract would have done.

    Most teams in the league are over the cap. The few that are under the cap and are willing to absorb the additional salary are the only ones Denver had to deal with, so they are in no position to dictate what to ask for in return.
    I understand all of that, but should it be allowed under the CBA? If Denver's management is so inept that the only way they can keep their salary under the cap is to GIVE away their players shouldn't they be held accountable for that by being forced to pay those salaries and not allowing these types of trades? What does this do for the value of the rest of the players in the league knowing that good veteran players like Camby can be had for a stale bag of chips under the right circumstances?

  21. #21
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    So if we gut the team down to being at least 8mm under the cap, we might get a 34 year old center. Can't wait!

  22. #22
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In all seriousness, the league should look into deals like this.
    What is there to look into?

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While technically there's nothing wrong with these deals in terms of the CBA, they basically GAVE Camby away for a pick that might never play in the NBA.
    Um, yes. So?

    Here's the great thing about economies, barter or otherwise. Nobody makes a trade unless both teams come out ahead (or at least think they do). The Nuggets felt that their team would be in a better position with a 2nd-round pick than with Marcus Camby.

    I know this: if the Clips offered the same deal for Tinsley, I'd take it in a second.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  23. #23

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Gosh, I just wanted to beat the newbies and Shade to the punch. Didn't think anyone would actually take that seriously. My bad.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand all of that, but should it be allowed under the CBA? If Denver's management is so inept that the only way they can keep their salary under the cap is to GIVE away their players shouldn't they be held accountable for that by being forced to pay those salaries and not allowing these types of trades? What does this do for the value of the rest of the players in the league knowing that good players like Camby can be had for a stale bag of chips under the right circumstances?
    *shrug*

    You can give away all the players you want as long as you meet the minimum salary floor (around $35M IIRC).

    You can't hold anyone accountable for bad salary cap management that forces these kinds of deals (see Knicks). Players don't really care about their trade value around the league as long as they're getting paid.

  25. #25

    Default Re: ESPNEWS - Clippers agree in principle to trade for Marcus Camby

    Do draft choices have a monetary value assigned to them to make trades equitable? I know player-for-player trades have to meet certain criteria, but what about player-for-draft choice swaps?

Similar Threads

  1. The Biggest reason I love this trade.
    By CompACE in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 06:30 PM
  2. Sheridan talks superstar trades
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 08:13 PM
  3. The trade almost one year later
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 01:54 PM
  4. PERFECT NJN/IND TRADE!!!!!
    By croz24 in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •