Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert is refreshing.

Default Roy Hibbert is refreshing.

Just look at his quotes in the new article that popped up on Indystar from today's press conference.

Nothing about making all-star teams, or putting up X stats. Just working hard, doing what the team asks him to do, and being very aware that that includes defense as much as anything. I like what this kid has to say.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../80715056/1088

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is refreshing.

very refreshing hicks....I mean why would he talk about being an all star...he has no hype around him. No one expects him to be a great NBA player or a hall of famer. He is projected to be just that...a role player. So why expect him to say different?
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    very refreshing hicks....I mean why would he talk about being an all star...he has no hype around him. No one expects him to be a great NBA player or a hall of famer. He is projected to be just that...a role player. So why expect him to say different?
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to how Harrison acted after he was drafted. *removed* Demeaning and unnecessary*

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Other than the fact that he played at the same school as Ewing, Mutombo, and Mourning there is little other comparisons to be made between Hibbert and them. Those guys were absolute beasts by comparison.

I like Roy, he's no slouch, and I'm glad the Pacers were able to draft him. It just cracks me up every time I read an article that mentions Hibbert, Georgetown, and their 3 other stud Centers in the same the same sentence.

That said, I think he'll be a major improvement over Harrison and exactly what the Pacers need from a back up center. He could develop into a starter in a season or two.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 07-15-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyPacersLeft View Post
    Expectations didn't stop David Harrison from stating his goal of being an all-star coming in as a rookie. You don't have to look long for a comparison that dressed in blue & gold.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You don't have to look long for a comparison that dressed in blue & gold.
    he probably thought you meant ex-blue & golder JO since he is currently being criticized by PD for talking about returning to "elite" status and "dominating" and "all-star level"
    This is the darkest timeline.

This part means quite a bit:

"Hibbert was the leading scorer (13.4), rebounder (6.4) and shot blocker (2.2) for a team that won the Big East regular-season title and went 28-6."

I don't care what the guy looks like, he delivers at both ends of the floor for a very good team. BTW, foot speed for an NBA center is pretty far down the list of critical skills.

This next part tells me his head is in the right place. It's been a long, long time since anyone wearing the Blue and Gold have vowed to own the paint. I love this part:

"Definitely, I bring size. The paint, the yellow, is my area. Definitely, I want to make sure I keep everything out of there. Offensively, I’m going to find my niche. Whatever they need me to do, I’m going to do.”

mmmmm.....minty!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

"Hibbert was the leading scorer (13.4), rebounder (6.4) and shot blocker (2.2) for a team that won the Big East regular-season title and went 28-6."

I don't care what the guy looks like, he delivers at both ends of the floor for a very good team. BTW, foot speed for an NBA center is pretty far down the list of critical skills.
    The Big East was something of a letdown this year. Green and Thabeet weren't exactly monster challenges for Hibbert. Like the kid, had bigger hopes for him this NCAA season, but if he becomes really solid in the NBA I'll consider it a nice improvement on his part.

To me he's a safe, smart, good kid pick at 17. He's got the size and the personality to become better than his draft position, but right now let's not think of him as a top 5 pick at center.

Hibbert probably will never be a Ewing, Mutombo, or Mourning, but he still came from that same great big man bloodline. Georgetown knows how to develop some solid big man. Yes, there have been some flops too, but I think we have a solid one in Hibbert. He may not be an eye-popping athlete, but his teams win games, and that's the bottomline.

Wow. Cry me a freaking river..Too many softies around here.

Perhaps Hibbert's priority is actually 'winning'. They all say it is, but
    for some (many ?), it's not really at the top of their list.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are two concerns for me regarding Roy. Rebounding and potential foul problems. I think David Harrison is very comparable to Roy on the court, minus the passing ability. But I do think Roy might just have the mental make-up that Harrison didn't to actually fulfill the potential Harrison couldn't.

I know this for certain, Roy won't throw hissy fits everytime he gets called for a foul then go home and roll-up to calm his nerves.

I'm look forward to seeing Roy "The Monitor" Hibbert progress in the league. It will be refreshing rooting for a guy to overcome his perhaps perceived lack of athleticism rather than his pot habit.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was referring to how Harrison acted after he was drafted. *removed* Demeaning and unnecessary*

Referring to the excised comment? Or to David Harrison?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    mmmmm.....minty!
    I thought I noticed a hint of Lymon......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The Big East was something of a letdown this year. Green and Thabeet weren't exactly monster challenges for Hibbert. Like the kid, had bigger hopes for him this NCAA season, but if he becomes really solid in the NBA I'll consider it a nice improvement on his part.

To me he's a safe, smart, good kid pick at 17. He's got the size and the personality to become better than his draft position, but right now let's not think of him as a top 5 pick at center.
    Yes, I don't consider him a top 5 pick....not even during my optimistic moments. BTW, if he were a Ewing or Zo type player, we would have acquired our next franchise player. I really doubt that happened here....but if he ever becomes as valuable in his own way as a Dale Davis or even an Antonio, we will have really done well. The biggest concern I have for him is the pick and roll. Otherwise, he really doesn't have to move that quickly. If the other team has a speedy center in there, Roy is just not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Wow. Cry me a freaking river..Too many softies around here.
    And who is that addressed to, specifically?

So, everyone's talking about who Roy should not be compared to (Ewing, Zo, Mutombo, etc)... does anyone have any opinions on which current/past players you think his game does compare to? To be honest I didn't see him play much in college, only a couple of games, so I'm just curious about his style. Someone want to throw out a "best case/worst case" comparison like they do in the draft?

I definitely like his attitude and demeanor. If he's as hard of a worker as I've heard, it'll definitely be easy to cheer for him.

And I definitely used the word definitely too many times in that sentence. Definitely.

Ilgauskas?

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    does anyone have any opinions on which current/past players you think his game does compare to? And I definitely used the word definitely too many times in that sentence. Definitely.
    Remember how Dale Davis used to say "Def'ily."

Hibbert will be as good as Brad Miller.
    Last edited by Putnam; 07-15-2008 at 09:03 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    So, everyone's talking about who Roy should not be compared to (Ewing, Zo, Mutombo, etc)... does anyone have any opinions on which current/past players you think his game does compare to? To be honest I didn't see him play much in college, only a couple of games, so I'm just curious about his style. Someone want to throw out a "best case/worst case" comparison like they do in the draft?

I definitely like his attitude and demeanor. If he's as hard of a worker as I've heard, it'll definitely be easy to cheer for him.

And I definitely used the word definitely too many times in that sentence. Definitely.
    At worst.....I'm gonna say a much smarter, far more mature and emotionally stable version of the 2007-2008 version of Harrison ( when JO'B was praising him for his defense last season ) that can take up space in the paint, alter shots of players that drive to the hoop while causing problems for opposing Big Men and providing a decent Shotblocking presense.

I know that there were times last season when Harrison was driving most of you crazy....but once Harrison figured out that he can be as effective in the paint by simply planting his feet and raising his hands in the air......there were times when Harrison actually did a very good job of defending the paint while filling in as the "Big Man" off the bench.

Keep in mind...this is worst case scenario that I'm talking about....I'm hoping for a Patrick Ewing best case scenario.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

What is similar between Ewing and Hibbert? I wasn't watching (much) in Ewing's hay-day.

Sports Logo

I believe I've compared him to a bigger Chris Webber before, because of his passing ability out of the post and double team. He's got some nice moves out of the post as well. He loves that hook shot.