Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official I can't ****ing wait for The Dark Knight Thread

Default Re: The Official I can't ****ing wait for The Dark Knight Thread

I thought it was awesome but I think I liked Batman Begins a little better. The whole becoming Batman was just a great story. I liked this one enough to see it twice already though.

Well I just got back from seeing the film.

It was good, but frankly I just didn't think it was this end of all time classics that obviously some of you do.

I thought it was 1 million times better than Batman Begins but frankly I just didn't like that film.

To me the best performance was by Aaron Echart as Harvy Dent. His two face was good as well, but I actually thought his performance as Dent was beyond good.

Well here is where I damn myself to hell for all of eternity I suppose with most of you.

I was not that impressed with Ledgers performance of the Joker.

It was ok don't get me wrong I'm not saying it sucked or anything, I just thought it was ok and could have been pulled off by about a dozen other actors just as well if not better.

But that is just one mans opinion on this.

Overall it was a good movie and I'm glad I saw it and I would recommend anyone seeing it once.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to admit I don't get it. I started checking my watch at about the 1:30 mark. The first one was disposable but at least it was fairly lean popcorn fare. I guess when some of these directors get enough pull the ability of the studios to do necessary editing just goes out the window. How could anyone possibly enjoy sitting through that twice, let alone in the same weekend?

It would have been much much better if they would have just kept it to a sort of character triangle between Dent, B-man and Joker. I'm sorry Ledger is dead and all but no one could honestly compare that one note performance with what he did in Brokeback Mountain. They completely drove the moral actors vs. irrational actors bit into the ground with about 3-4 too many speeches and about the same number too many characters. It just played like a overly long version of Law and Order with special effects. The whole boat thing actually had me chuckling with it's self-congratulatory earnestness.
    What you're saying is true, but what comic book movies have you seen that wasn't heavy-handed in that way? I'm not an expert on the genre (never really read comic books in the first place), but it seems like most tend to overplay the big moral conundrums. Didn't really get in the way of me enjoying the movie, even if
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have to admit I don't get it. I started checking my watch at about the 1:30 mark. The first one was disposable but at least it was fairly lean popcorn fare. I guess when some of these directors get enough pull the ability of the studios to do necessary editing just goes out the window. How could anyone possibly enjoy sitting through that twice, let alone in the same weekend?

Even better the second time around.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still haven't been able to see it a second time. I'm going to try to see it in IMAX on Tuesday night.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Well I just got back from seeing the film.

It was good, but frankly I just didn't think it was this end of all time classics that obviously some of you do.

I thought it was 1 million times better than Batman Begins but frankly I just didn't like that film.

To me the best performance was by Aaron Echart as Harvy Dent. His two face was good as well, but I actually thought his performance as Dent was beyond good.

Well here is where I damn myself to hell for all of eternity I suppose with most of you.

I was not that impressed with Ledgers performance of the Joker.

It was ok don't get me wrong I'm not saying it sucked or anything, I just thought it was ok and could have been pulled off by about a dozen other actors just as well if not better.

But that is just one mans opinion on this.

Overall it was a good movie and I'm glad I saw it and I would recommend anyone seeing it once.
    I posted a couple of my complaints about the movie and for those reasons I've already mentioned - Dark Knight will not make it into my top 10 movies of alltime - although it is close to being that.

Heath's performance was beyond amazing - and the Joker I thought was the best villian I have ever seen. There were times in the movie where I was rooting for him.

There were several pro's in my book. As Peck pointed out, Eckhardt (sp?) was really, really good and Bale continues to be a good choice for Batman. Caine and Freeman are always good and I would have liked to have seen more of them. I'm usually not that big on staged action scenes but the one in the middle was actually one of the high points of the film, for me.

I just thought they tried to pile on way too many plot twists (with diminishing returns) at about 2/3rds of the way into the movie.

I just thought they tried to pile on way too many plot twists (with diminishing returns) at about 2/3rds of the way into the movie.
    Yeah, that is my biggest complaint about the movie - sometimes less is better and I think it would have been for this movie. But the good aspects of the film were soooo good, that overall it was a great movie. And certainly I would much rather a movie try too hard than not to try at all - so I can forgive the movie for having too much plot (especially when most movie plots are terrible nowadays)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It would have been much much better if they would have just kept it to a sort of character triangle between Dent, B-man and Joker. I'm sorry Ledger is dead and all but no one could honestly compare that one note performance with what he did in Brokeback Mountain. They completely drove the moral actors vs. irrational actors bit into the ground with about 3-4 too many speeches and about the same number too many characters. It just played like a overly long version of Law and Order with special effects. The whole boat thing actually had me chuckling with it's self-congratulatory earnestness.
    This coming from a man with Hellboy as his avatar.

[Btw, is Hellboy 2 any good? The first one was okay, nothing amazing, but interesting enough to make me consider seeing the new one.]

The movie is not perfect (no movie is), but I have no doubt in my mind that it is the best Batman flick to date (and I hold the '89 Burton film in high regard). It didn't feel at all to me like there was too much going on, unlike in Spider-Man 3, Batman and Robin, or Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. I was able to follow everything without any confusion as to what was going on, and none of the major characters seemed to have throw-away appearances, even though
    Spoiler Spoiler:

If there was one thing that underwhelmed me about the movie, it was the ending. It seemed a little rushed to me.

Sports Logo

I was thinking of the next villian that Nolan would likely cast...and the only ones that I can really think would make sense....based purely on the direction that he has been going with these movies in an attempt to "ground" them in reality...are villians that don't truly have "superpowers"...but are just people that are smart enough and psycho enough to be a few notch above the common street thug or Organized Crime boss. Charecters like the Scarecrow, R'As al Gaul, the Joker and Two-Face are nothing more then people that have transformed themselves into something different...not through some spiderbite or a dose of gamma radiation...but through their own smarts, cunning and their own ability.

That's why I would hope that Nolan would stay away from the type of villians that have some really comic-book/superpower like Killer Croc, Mr.Freeze or even Bane.....they just seem too outlandish to me given the direction that Nolan is taking this movie.

As for Catwoman....the way that she is portrayed in the 2nd Batman movie isn't really like the way she is portrayed in the Comic Book ( not that they have to be ). She's basically the female equivelant of Batman ( in terms of skill and cunning ) that walks on both sides of the proverbial Train Track. As mentioned....the Riddler could make some sense since he's all brain with no real superpowers. As for how either of these charecters could be introduced into the film...I don't know.....I just hope that the charecter makes sense. Although it maybe near impossible to do it....I really hope that Nolan sticks to his guns and continue to do the movie the way he wants to do it.....we have seen how bad a 3rd installment in a comic Book movie can be after the success of the sequel ( yes, I'm referring to the frickin people who put together the steaming pile called Spiderman 3 )....which is something that I can totally see the WB Execs doing now that TDK has made much $$$$.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If there was one thing that underwhelmed me about the movie, it was the ending. It seemed a little rushed to me.
    I sort of agree here......many people have pointed out that this movie just kept on going....that's the sense that I got from the ending.

They could have ended it a little bit more cleanly and left the Harvey Dent/Two-Face plotline dangling for the next movie. If anything....although I can understand why Nolan went with that direction with the Harvey Dent charecter and the way that he was portrayed ( to portray him as the "White Knight" compared to Wayne's Dark Knight )....I'm a little disappointed with the way the Harvey Dent charecter was eventually fleshed out.

The ending just seemed more "tacked" on then not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You guys have written really good reviews. I'm impressed. Believe it or not it's already available over here on DVD.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Bane isn't exactly "super-powered." He's basically a super-intelligent, drug-addicted bodybuilder with some slightly superhuman strength when he's fully hopped-up on venom (think "adrenaline rush"). Definitely a challenge, but not an unbeatable foe.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm excited, I'm going to go see it again tonight at IMAX. You think I'll still get tickets if I get there 45min-1hr before start time?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    The law firm I'm working at in NY rented an entire theater to play this movie for their employees - BEFORE MIDNIGHT. And what am I doing? That's right, I'm working way past midnight.

Guess I'll see it when I get my life back next week.

:
    how many freaking jobs do you have?

i just saw TDK last night and i'm still trying to process my thoughts but here is a quick run-down

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
    not gonna happen. at least while Nolan (and i assume Bale) are around. if you were going to do it yeah you might go to him but they won't be.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    I just saw the film this evening and let me say that I agree with the accolades thrown it's way. I also believe Ledger's Joker was great.

That said, a couple of comments I'd like to make. Some of you are clamoring for a 3rd Batman movie in this series. I think this one was so genre defining that they should let it stand alone. It's going to be hard to top this one with these same people involved IMHO (and obviously Ledger won't be able to recreate his role so you can't truly expand on that). The first one was good, this one was better... but it was almost too good. If I was making comic book movies I'd realize I'd just made my masterpiece for the genre and find something else to do.

Dent:
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Dent:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

actually now that you mention that
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    This is the darkest timeline.

I saw it again today, and