Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Official I can't ****ing wait for The Dark Knight Thread

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: The Official I can't ****ing wait for The Dark Knight Thread

that list is a list of what hollywood movies young, male computer nerds like.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that list is a list of what hollywood movies young, male computer nerds like.

That's generalizing a bit, don'tcha think?

It's definitely skewed towards "awesome" flicks, but Casablanca is #10, Dr. Stranglove is 24, It's a Wonderful Life is 33, Amelie is 42, To Kill a Mockingbird is 46, The Third Man is 47, Double Indemnity is 54, The Pianist is 57 and River Kwai is 63.

Of course things like all three LOTRs in the Top 31, Se7en at 35, Leon at 39, The Departed at 44 and Sin City at 83 are absurd. And obviously, Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Gone With the Wind would be in the Top 5 on any critics list, but a precise, accurate numerical ranking isn't really the point.

Films #107-#238 literally differ by 0.2 in all-time ranking. So it's not like the exact numerical placement is all that significant.

The basis to go on here is that 1-250 are the best movies that appeal to a wide number of people and that 250-500 are slightly below that and will likely include all the truly "great" achievements in cinema history. It's an inexact science that is presented as more precise than it really is due to the 1/10ths of a point in the rankings.

But it's pretty useful, however, when you're looking for what you want to put next on your Netflix queue. If a movie is ranked as a 6 or under, probably don't waste your time. If it's 8 or above, it's probably something you should have seen from a pop culture standpoint and, even if you don't love it, you probably won't outright dislike it. Or shouldn't anyway.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Well, it's taken a while, but I've finally accepted the fact that I'm an elitist.

I think democratic polling is what gives American Idol winners more Grammys, and this list isn't much different than that.

The only statistic you should be following is the # of votes. If the # of voters is above the mean, it's position on the list is inflated in direct proportion.

If a billion people go see a blockbuster and declare some of the assinine things you hear every year about a mega-blockbusters (See: James Cameron movies, The Dark Knight, and - oh yeah, I'm going here, Cloverfield, which was once on this list) then you have way too many kiddie fan-boys weighting the ranking with "10/10 best moovee evar!" votes.

I like long sentences.

I enjoyed this movie. But at the very base - at the script level - it was completely flawed.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Well, it's taken a while, but I've finally accepted the fact that I'm an elitist.

I think democratic polling is what gives American Idol winners more Grammys, and this list isn't much different than that.

The only statistic you should be following is the # of votes. If the # of voters is above the mean, it's position on the list is inflated in direct proportion.

If a billion people go see a blockbuster and declare some of the assinine things you hear every year about a mega-blockbusters (See: James Cameron movies, The Dark Knight, and - oh yeah, I'm going here, Cloverfield, which was once on this list) then you have way too many kiddie fan-boys weighting the ranking with "10/10 best moovee evar!" votes.

I like long sentences.

I enjoyed this movie. But at the very base - at the script level - it was completely flawed.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    There were a lot of little flaws with this movie. It's not Nolan's best - I enjoyed the Prestige and Memento more - and I think it's a solid 9 but not a 10.

I've no problem calling the list a ranking of movies people enjoy. I don't think there is anyway though you can argue that is a list of the best movies made in regards to importance and artistic achievement. And I don't think anyone is trying to say that.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I've no problem calling the list a ranking of movies people enjoy. I don't think there is anyway though you can argue that is a list of the best movies made in regards to importance and artistic achievement. And I don't think anyone is trying to say that.
    I suppose I should have used the much kinder words you've offered.

"Top Ranked Crowd Pleasers." is a reasonable categorization.

I like long sentences.

I hear ya. No one hates democracy more than I.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    This was another of flaws I forgot about before I posted my earlier criticisms. Good point.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Spoiler Spoiler:

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

They do slow down, just not enough to scream it at the audience. I admit the first time I thought that too.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 07-29-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Nolan bas been nominated for an Oscar for screen writing for Momento, a crime drama. I don't know how that translate to not having enough talent to pull it off. He is a perfectly capable director and screen writer.

It is a comic book movie. In accepting the premise that one man puts on a mask and takes down crime in a city, certain elements such as realistic dialogue and physics fall under the suspension of disbelief category.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 07-29-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

The Show, Don't Tell mantra is seriously annoying. I understand what you're getting at, infinite, but it just bugs me how that phrase is batted around like it means anything anymore.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Nolan bas been nominated for an Oscar for screen writing for Momento, a crime drama. I don't know how that translate to not having enough talent to pull it off. He is a perfectly capable director and screen writer.

It is a comic book movie. In accepting the premise that one man puts on a mask and takes down crime in a city, certain elements such as realistic dialogue and physics fall under the suspension of disbelief category.
    Never saw momento or the prestige for that matter, so my only real opinions of him are based on the bat movies. He is a talented director, I just don't care for his style in some aspects. Especially in how he paces his movies. He still puts a pretty good visual product on screen.

As far as the bat movies are concerned, I am not super impressed with his writing overall. It was definatly better in Dark Knight than Begins though.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Exactly. And I'm more than willing to do that.

It's the weird plot quirks and odd feeling of "wait...what? why did that happen?" that bothered me. I just feel that in a 2 1/2 hour action movie, I shouldn't ever feel like anything wasn't explained well enough in terms of logistics.

Memento, while also great, was sort of similar. Everything seems great until you start thinking about the logistics and then you're like "wait..that couldn't have happened like that in that order."
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I can accept that. While realism and Nolan get tossed around together a lot I don't think that really is his aim. He wants to put together gritty, atmospheric pieces. Can it really happen and does it makes sense come secondary, in my opinion, to his goal of creating a mood and feeling during the viewing.

My only expectations in a movie like this is to be entertained and then inspired to jump off rooftops on to purse snatchers afterwards. At some point you have to accept that you ordered steak at Applebee's.

I'm pretty excited for TheEditingRoom script of this.

The new Indy one was the best in a while.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/indianajones4.html
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I don't have a lot of say on the really old movies like from the 50s, I assume they belong. Besides that, I don't think the Lord of the Rings movies belong anywhere near the top 50. They could maybe go top 100, they were great achievements, as far as filming something thought to be unfilmable and making it good, but... much like Dark Knight had their share of flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    There were a lot of little flaws with this movie. It's not Nolan's best - I enjoyed the Prestige and Memento more - and I think it's a solid 9 but not a 10.
    Memento is Nolan's best movie, IMO.

Spoiler Spoiler:

The Prestige is very good as well.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Memento, while also great, was sort of similar. Everything seems great until you start thinking about the logistics and then you're like "wait..that couldn't have happened like that in that order."
    it works though in memento because

Spoiler Spoiler:
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    it works though in memento because

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    It's actually nothing like that at all. But thanks for playing.

Interesting, atc. Hadn't thought that through. Either way, there are other flaws which I won't go into that I believe are legit sequential problems with the entire premise though. I'll bring it up in the movie thread after I watch it again with the totally unreliable narrator backdrop.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Maybe it's just me but Dark Knight was another example amongst what I perceive as some movies that go too overboard trying to have plot twists in the latter stages. Another recent film that comes to mind that fell into this was Gone Baby Gone for example.

Now I really like an unexpected twist (or two) if they are well done and well placed. I did not think that happened in Dark Knight. This also contributed to the film's length. I think it could have been as effective or better in at least 15 minutes less.

Now, not to just ***** and moan, the movie had good aspects, too. Really liked the acting, dark tone/feel, and the fact that they stayed true to a non-happy sell out story.

It would be worth noting here that I don't recall be overly impressed by the Prestige, although my recollection is not so good. Memento, on the other hand, I thought was a pretty good film. A difference I'd suggest between that and DK is that Memento's narrative set out to be fragmented and puzzle-like with the unreliable narrator as pointed out. DK's was primarily set up to be linear (IMO) with elements of the non-sequential. Obviously, the suspension of disbelief is necessary to enjoy either.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Interesting, atc. Hadn't thought that through. Either way, there are other flaws which I won't go into that I believe are legit sequential problems with the entire premise though. I'll bring it up in the movie thread after I watch it again with the totally unreliable narrator backdrop.
    Please do - I'd be interested to see what you think those moments are. After my third or fourth viewing, I began to think of it like atc says so nothing ever registered as "incorrect" to me.

That's why I said "a little." You have to look at it as if the Joker were narrating, though.

I have no problem with many of the negative things about the movie that is being talked about in this thread. Certainly "Dark Knight" is not perfect - but the good parts of the movie and the good things about the movie were so good - I don't understand how anyone could say anything other than it was a great movie overall.