Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Official I can't ****ing wait for The Dark Knight Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Official I can't ****ing wait for The Dark Knight Thread

I'm right there with you UB. It's like some expect a movie to be so based in reality, and anything outside of that reality gets picked over with a fine tooth comb.

If every little detail needs to be answered, like what happened to the Joker after the party scene when Batman and Rachel fall, the movie would take forever. It's almost like it should be done like Vantage Point, and every minute of the action needs to be shown by each character's view so everything will be covered.

I'm sorry, but I go to a movie to be entertained, not informed on every detail. Next thing I know there will be outrage because they don't show them eating or even going to the bathroom.

Obviously there will be holes in every single movie, especially one based on a comic book.

After a while complaints just turn petty, IMHO. Who really cares if the voice Batman uses is too husky for you, or whatever?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm right there with you UB. It's like some expect a movie to be so based in reality, and anything outside of that reality gets picked over with a fine tooth comb.

If every little detail needs to be answered, like what happened to the Joker after the party scene when Batman and Rachel fall, the movie would take forever. It's almost like it should be done like Vantage Point, and every minute of the action needs to be shown by each character's view so everything will be covered.

I'm sorry, but I go to a movie to be entertained, not informed on every detail. Next thing I know there will be outrage because they don't show them eating or even going to the bathroom.

Obviously there will be holes in every single movie, especially one based on a comic book.

After a while complaints just turn petty, IMHO. Who really cares if the voice Batman uses is too husky for you, or whatever?
    "The internet has given everyone in America a voice. And apparently, everyone has chosen to use that voice to ***** about movies."

Well the thing I don't get is that some are arguing the movie provides too much information, and treats the audience like they are "dumb", and now people are complaining that the movie doesn't give enough information I.E. Joker after the party scene.

Honestly, which is it? To me the point was the scene was over once the Batman saves Rachel. Why does the Joker need to show us how he leaves? It's perfectly reasonable that he left the same way he came in. Do you really think anyone was going to stand in his way?

The movie had it's flaws, but some of you are just nitpicking IMO. Criticizing them for not showing how the Joker left is plain stupid. At the point you start criticizing a movie for something like that you are just looking for a reason not to like the movie and to ***** about it.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-30-2008 at 02:20 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I have no problem with many of the negative things about the movie that is being talked about in this thread. Certainly "Dark Knight" is not perfect - but the good parts of the movie and the good things about the movie were so good - I don't understand how anyone could say anything other than it was a great movie overall.
    Hey, that's how I feel.

The movie was very good IMO, I like how there was zero cartoon/animation like they keep filling these superhero films with. The only thing that bothered me a bit was Batman's voice and when the Joker's Posse spoke during the bank robbery it seemed like they acted, then laid to voice over the acting (didn't actually speak during the acting pre-recorded). Other then that it was very good. I didn't mind the ending, kind of figured it would end like that and it leaves the possibility of the Joker returning, Heath set the bar high so the nice actor better be good.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

As far as realism and perfect accuracy, Im kind of against it in a batman movie anyway.

I like me some over the top theatrics myself. I think Batman (89) provides no shortage of this, and Dark Knight takes itself a tad too seriously.

That said, I really think Nolan's movies bring a new deeper element to the batman franchise... A more important Alfred and Gordon is an interesting bit. for example.

The *perfect* batman movie lies somewhere in between. Of course the perfect movie will never be made. If I have to pick? I like the theatrical over the top take a little better, Give me a comic book movie that feels a bit like a comic book.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Indy, I think you are confused about the main complaint. I could care less if the action were completely realistic or a cartoon or set in outer space with spaceship sounds even though sounds don't travel through space.

I'm not asking for more realism, I'm asking for continuity.

And the party scene wasn't the only time people just disappeared without a trace or a moment of recognition or that things just didn't seem plausible.

Here's a few more:

Spoiler Spoiler:

This was a fantastic looking movie, the action was great, Ledger and Oldman were great. And finally, we got an action movie that was almost entirely done "in camera". Mucho cool.

I enjoyed it very much.

But when Richard Roper declared that it should be nominated for a best picture oscar, I almost threw something across the room.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Spoiler Spoiler:

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

LA,
    I agree with Indy on #4... He BUCKLED his seatbelt. That then actually makes tons of sense.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I assume this is the thread where we post a little more detail w/all kind of spoilers and stuff.

Liked TDK quite a bit - lot of action, one of the best villains IMO that has ever been put together - a guy whose next move you really couldn't predict - and pretty decent performances by everyone except Maggie Gyllenhaal. And I LOVED the way they flipped the semi over.

My knocks - would have liked a bit of background on the Joker. I know others will disagree. This is just personal pref. Not having it added to the mystery, having it might have made him a bit more of a sympathetic villain.

Yes, it's fiction but how the flock can the Joker rig pretty much any building, boat or structure he feels like in Gotham to blow up? Remember, we're using dozens of barrels of accelerant and he's putting them in large boats which always have people in them and hospitals - places with security and a process which took hours and involved moving semi loads of stuff. You telling me nobody would notice dozens of barrels loaded into a Ferry's hold or in a hospital, or that the people loading it spent hours wiring it up? Let's keep it at least sort of believable. Sometimes these movies just go a little too far with dramatic license - why not a detonator rigged to blow the Ferry's fuel tanks or a hospital's O2 tanks?

I got sick of the white/dark knight theme. They introduced it early and kept pounding at it. It's a good theme but they wore it out. By the time they reached the final scenes I was so sick of it that Batman's sacrifice didn't matter all that much to me.

But good movie - enjoyed it, lots of action, most of the performances were solid and there were some great effects.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 08-01-2008 at 07:11 AM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I assume this is the thread where we post a little more detail w/all kind of spoilers and stuff.

Liked TDK quite a bit - lot of action, one of the best villains IMO that has ever been put together - a guy whose next move you really couldn't predict - and pretty decent performances by everyone except Maggie Gyllenhaal. And I LOVED the way they flipped the semi over.

My knocks - would have liked a bit of background on the Joker. I know others will disagree. This is just personal pref. Not having it added to the mystery, having it might have made him a bit more of a sympathetic villain.

Yes, it's fiction but how the flock can the Joker rig pretty much any building, boat or structure he feels like in Gotham to blow up? Remember, we're using dozens of barrels of accelerant and he's putting them in large boats which always have people in them and hospitals - places with security and a process which took hours and involved moving semi loads of stuff. You telling me nobody would notice dozens of barrels loaded into a Ferry's hold or in a hospital, or that the people loading it spent hours wiring it up? Let's keep it at least sort of believable. Sometimes these movies just go a little too far with dramatic license - why not a detonator rigged to blow the Ferry's fuel tanks or a hospital's O2 tanks?

I got sick of the white/dark knight theme. They introduced it early and kept pounding at it. It's a good theme but they wore it out. By the time they reached the final scenes I was so sick of it that Batman's sacrifice didn't matter all that much to me.

But good movie - enjoyed it, lots of action, most of the performances were solid and there were some great effects.
    Isn't it kind of clear that he can bribe whomever he wants and if they don't comply, he kills them? And I think the movie overkills because the Joker overkills. It is befitting of his character to have barrels of accelerant rather than say, C4, or just a detonator somewhere.

I think if I had to pick one thing that bugged me it would be Harvey Dent's immediate transformation into two-face. It takes a lot to transform a good guy into a serial killer. It was even more egregious compared to Bruce Wayne's lack of reaction to Rachel's death.

Lastly, I just want to say that this movie is not given a lot of slack that others are because everyone has seen it and it's so popular. If we were to overanalyze Burton's Batman then we could dissect it like a frog but we don't because it's 1989 Batman and it's not the biggest movie of all time.

I don't think it's the best Super-Hero movie of all time, that's probably Iron Man, Batman Begins or X2. The reason is that TDK doesn't really play out like a superhero movie so I can't classify it as such. It is much more than that. It's better than all three of the aforementioned movies but judging it as a superhero movie is incorrect, I think. It would be like judging the Matrix as a simple sci-fi movie.

I think this is a valid criticism of the film. Some of the themes could have been handled more subtlely. In addition to your example, there was the chaos/order dialectic that was expressed with blunt force trauma, particularly in the dialogue near the end. In a way, this handling is not unlike my other major critique from my previous post-the overdone back and forth, twist and turn towards the conclusion. Of course, the way it was brought to a close also added to it being too long for me. I felt it could have been concluded successfully in about 15 minutes less.

As I stated before, I liked the visual feel of the film, the acting was great, there were some terrific scenes, and I appreciated the continued emphasis on Batman's/BW's struggle as an ambilvalent hero. By no means a waste of my cinema dollars. Enjoyable but not outstanding. I'd give it three stars.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Isn't it kind of clear that he can bribe whomever he wants and if they don't comply, he kills them? And I think the movie overkills because the Joker overkills. It is befitting of his character to have barrels of accelerant rather than say, C4, or just a detonator somewhere.
    An entire hospital staff as well as patients & visitors wouldn't notice when he set charges to blow up in every room? And ferries are always moving other than when they're dry-docked for maintenance.

I think if I had to pick one thing that bugged me it would be Harvey Dent's immediate transformation into two-face. It takes a lot to transform a good guy into a serial killer. It was even more egregious compared to Bruce Wayne's lack of reaction to Rachel's death.
    I agree except if they were going to fit that into the movie they sort of had to - it was already 2.5 hours. Just didn't have a lot of time to do anything else with it. I suppose if you asked anyone they'd have said he was suffering from PTSD which drove him temporarily insane.

I agree except if they were going to fit that into the movie they sort of had to - it was already 2.5 hours. Just didn't have a lot of time to do anything else with it. I suppose if you asked anyone they'd have said he was suffering from PTSD which drove him temporarily insane.
    It was good for "trying to fit it in one movie." I just wasn't expecting Dent to become Two-Face in this movie. It caught me completely off guard.

It was good for "trying to fit it in one movie." I just wasn't expecting Dent to become Two-Face in this movie. It caught me completely off guard.
    I'm with you - that was my initial thought (along with probably half the folks who saw it) that they'd found their villain for the next one.

There's still Dr. Crane though. Can't see him as The Riddler or Penguin but he's sufficiently creepy.

I htought Dr. Crane was the Scarecrow?

I haven't seen this movie yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I htought Dr. Crane was the Scarecrow?

I haven't seen this movie yet.....
    You might want to stay out of this thread then...

You might want to stay out of this thread then...
    Ditto, though I think if they did decide to use Crane giving him the moniker "The Scarecrow" would be a bit too obvious. They'd have to call him Captain Phlegm or something. And Crane wouldn't fit the physical embodiment of carnage like the Joker - he'd have to be more of the evil mastermind type.

I imagine they'll come up with someone new though. They set The Joker up at the end of Begins but I didn't notice that they did the same after TDK. It pretty much has to be a redemption theme, at least for part of it.

Ditto, though I think if they did decide to use Crane giving him the moniker "The Scarecrow" would be a bit too obvious. They'd have to call him Captain Phlegm or something. And Crane wouldn't fit the physical embodiment of carnage like the Joker - he'd have to be more of the evil mastermind type.

I imagine they'll come up with someone new though. They set The Joker up at the end of Begins but I didn't notice that they did the same after TDK. It pretty much has to be a redemption theme, at least for part of it.
    You should watch Batman Begins.

Plus, Scarecrow was in the opening sequence of The Dark Knight.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I'm kinda confused by what you're saying...they already had Crane as Scarecrow...

I think the 3rd if Nolan makes it will be loosely based off of dark victory like TDK was loosely based on Long Halloween. I'm guessing it will be a gang war between "super" villains lead by Two-face and the Gotham mob.

I watched the animated Gotham Knights which takes place between the two movies it gave the origin of Killer Croc:
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

I'm kinda confused by what you're saying...they already had Crane as Scarecrow...
    Part of the whole "ideal villain" thing involves mysterious carnage happening from an unknown source. If some schmuck gets captured and tells Batman/Gordon "It's the Scarecrow" you take a bunch of mystery out of it. Plus IIRC, Scarecrow was the mob guy's name for him from Begins - I don't recall Crane using it to describe himself. Have to go re-check from when he got tased.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    You should watch Batman Begins.
    You should read my post - the one you quoted.

Plus, Scarecrow was in the opening sequence of The Dark Knight.

Crane was, mask and all. I don't remember him referring to himself as Scarecrow. Besides, are you saying criminals don't ever alter their identities? Is it somehow beyond all conception he might just call himself something else?

You should read my post - the one you quoted.

Crane was, mask and all. I don't remember him referring to himself as Scarecrow. Besides, are you saying criminals don't ever alter their identities? Is it somehow beyond all conception he might just call himself something else?
    At the end of Begins, Crane rides up to Rachel on a horse and she says "Crane?" and he corrects her: "No, SCARECROW!" And then she shoots him in the face with a Taser. From that moment on, he is officially Scarecrow in this Batman universe.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/2...780450500.html

The Dark Knight is now up to 394 million dollars in the USA.

Expected to at least at 100 million more.