Default Re: The Official I can't ****ing wait for The Dark Knight Thread

Spoiler Spoiler:

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went to se it on IMAX yesterday and it blew me away - it is without a doubt worth the 12.50 to see it on IMAX. It was noticeable to me when the IMAX kicked in, not only did the picture get more vivid and much larger but most of the best scenes were in IMAX. My favorite scene - the part that strted in the underground part - was all in IMAX.

OK, if you can't or don't want to go to an IMAX, then please go see it at a digital theater. - Which to my knowlege is only available at Rave in Plainfeild, in Castlton and at the new IMAX Hamilton theater - digital is much better than regular - (then of course IMAX is much better than digital) I felt so spoiled now.

Let me say a few things about the movie itself - hate to do this, but I want to start with the only negative thing. I read one review that said something to the effect thatit seemed as though every scene was a climax scene. You might be saying well that was what made it incredible - I agree. But for my taste there wasn't enough bult up, enough susense, enough anticipation. (I often feel that way about most movies however, so maybe it is just me.

Having said that - I still loved it. Can't describe my favorite scenes without giving too much away. But any scene that the joker was in was was incredible. He stole every scene he was in, he stole the movie, and his acting was s good as I have ever seen - and there are a large number of great actors in this movie.

Go see it in IMAX, you won't regret it. Or at least see it on a digital screen that makes a big difference
    I couldn't agree more. As good as TDK is, it's even better on the IMAX screen. I've seen the six-minute prologue plenty of times, including in HD, but it was breathtaking watching it in it's full IMAX glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I couldn't agree more. As good as TDK is, it's even better on the IMAX screen. I've seen the six-minute prologue plenty of times, including in HD, but it was breathtaking watching it in it's full IMAX glory.
    Yeah, I don't think I could see it again unless I was watching IMAX. I had no idea that IMAX also meant a more vivid picture -I knew it was bigger.

Shade did you go to IMAX Hamilton 16 or whatever it is called.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I could see it again unless I was watching IMAX. I had no idea that IMAX also meant a more vivid picture -I knew it was bigger.

Shade did you go to IMAX Hamilton 16 or whatever it is called.
    I went to the IMAX off of 31/South East Street, near Meridian. I think the Hamilton 16 is in Noblesville, IIRC. I've been to that one too, when I saw Hancock.

How far is the IMAX on Meridian from downtown? And how far is the IMAX in Noblesville from I-69?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Rght along I-69 - you cannot miss it at exit 10. Or if you are coming from the west just take 146th street.

The other one is at the I-465 and 31 exit, visible from I-465.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    How far is the IMAX on Meridian from downtown? And how far is the IMAX in Noblesville from I-69?
    The Noblesville IMAX is right off the US-238 exit on 69, I believe exit 11. You see it from the freeway.

I agree with Suave's comment about tension. I was scared to death about what Nolan was going to do with the big moral choice in the climax.

As truly great as the film was, I don't know if it's something I'm gonna want to see again any time soon. It was just too dark and depressing. Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan, albeit to a lesser extent. I wasn't shellshocked coming out of this movie.

Everyone talks about wanting comic book material to be treated seriously, and that's fine. But I prefer something a little more enjoyable and a little less nerve-wracking.

Lastly, I honestly cannot believe this film is PG-13. Yes, the language isn't too bad, and there's no gore or nudity, but damn. Can you imagine somebody letting off a couple 13 year olds to go see the movie on their own. Or someone bringing in kids even younger, as I saw myself. Eh, I shouldn't complain, people took their kids to see Passion of the Christ. Still, either Warners paid somebody a ton of money to take it easy, or, more likely, the MPAA has no ****ing clue what they're doing.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    The Noblesville IMAX is right off the US-238 exit on 69, I believe exit 11. You see it from the freeway.

I agree with Suave's comment about tension. I was scared to death about what Nolan was going to do with the big moral choice in the climax.

As truly great as the film was, I don't know if it's something I'm gonna want to see again any time soon. It was just too dark and depressing. Reminds me of Saving Private Ryan, albeit to a lesser extent. I wasn't shellshocked coming out of this movie.

Everyone talks about wanting comic book material to be treated seriously, and that's fine. But I prefer something a little more enjoyable and a little less nerve-wracking.

Lastly, I honestly cannot believe this film is PG-13. Yes, the language isn't too bad, and there's no gore or nudity, but damn. Can you imagine somebody letting off a couple 13 year olds to go see the movie on their own. Or someone bringing in kids even younger, as I saw myself. Eh, I shouldn't complain, people took their kids to see Passion of the Christ. Still, either Warners paid somebody a ton of money to take it easy, or, more likely, the MPAA has no ****ing clue what they're doing.

There was a family at the showing I went to, three kids and mom and dad. One kid looked to be 13 or 14, but the other two were under 10 - one of them looked to be 7 or 8......way too young to see this movie.

(Keg, I loved Saving Private Ryan - saw it three times in the theater.

Good movies never depress me - no matter what the subject matter is - bad movies do depress me - especially Michal Bay movies
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-20-2008 at 12:29 AM.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sorry, I meant to ask how long would it take from downtown to the Meridian theatre, and how long from I-69/465 to the Noblesville one?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post

I'm surprised a BSG fan said this. Glad you liked it, though.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm usually the first to avoid these types of movies with superheroes and whatnot, but my best friend will be dragging me to see this so I'll be curious to see if it's a legitimately great film or just a great accomplishment in the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Sorry, I meant to ask how long would it take from downtown to the Meridian theatre, and how long from I-69/465 to the Noblesville one?
    The Meridian theater on the south side will be much closer. Probably 15 minutes vs 35 minutes - (and that is assuming no traffic on 69

Mood

How much do IMAX tickets cost?

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I saw it twice Saturday. Once in West Lafayette, the second time in Greenwood. I found it even more engrossing the second time around. I can't add to anything already said; it's just an excellent film. No distinction as "superhero film" is necessary.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

I almost went right back in when I saw it Friday. Your comments make me wish more that I did. How far apart were the showings for you?

It doesn't seem like I'll go today, but sometime this week I'll go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

I think it was 12.50 when I looked. I think I'm going to go see it Monday or Tuesday, hopefully at an IMAX (if I can convince my friend....)

12.50, but it's worth it.

Yeah, 12.50 and that is no matter what time you see it. I saw it at 9:15 Friday morning and it was sold out, but for that showing you could walk up and get tickets.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/ente...20/Box.Office/

Dark Knight' sets weekend record with $155.34M

In this image released by Warner Bros., Heath Ledger starring as The Joker, is shown in a ...

Sun Jul 20, 1:24 PM EDT
    Batman has sent Spidey packing as king of Hollywood's box-office superheroes.

"The Dark Knight" took in a record $155.34 million in its first weekend, topping the previous best of $151.1 million for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007 and pacing Hollywood to its biggest weekend ever, according to studio estimates Sunday.

"We knew it would be big, but we never expected to dominate the marketplace like we did," said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros., which released "The Dark Knight." The movie should shoot past the $200 million mark by the end of the week, he said.

Hollywood set an overall revenue record of $253 million for a three-day weekend, beating the $218.4 million haul over the weekend of July 7, 2006, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

"This weekend is such a juggernaut," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal, whose musical "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 2 with $27.6 million.

Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight."

At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets.

Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday.

The movie's release was preceded by months of buzz and speculation over the performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, Batman's nemesis. Ledger, who died in January from an accidental prescription-drug overdose, played the Joker as a demonic presence, his performance prompting predictions that the role might earn him a posthumous Academy Award nomination.

"The average opening gross of the last five `Batman' movies is $47 million. This tripled that, and for a reason," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. "A big part of that was the Heath Ledger mystique and a phenomenal performance that absolutely deserves the excitement surrounding it."

"The Dark Knight" reunites director Christopher Nolan with his "Batman Begins" star Christian Bale, whose vigilante crime-fighter is taunted and tested by Ledger's Joker as the villain unleashes violence and chaos on the city of Gotham.

Overseas, "The Dark Knight" added $40 million in 20 countries where it began opening Wednesday, including Australia, Mexico and Brazil. The film opens in Great Britain this weekend and rolls out to most of the rest of the world over the next few weeks.

"The Dark Knight," which cost $185 million to make, also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.

"Every single show is sold out," said Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president. "We're adding shows as much as we can, but we're at 100 percent capacity."

On opening day Friday, "The Dark Knight" also took in more money than previously counted, Fellman said. The film pulled in a record $67.85 million, up nearly $1.5 million from the studio's estimates a day earlier.

The previous opening-day record also had been held by "Spider-Man 3" with $59.8 million.

Women accounted for most of the audience for "Mamma Mia!", which Universal opened as counter-programming to the male-dominated audience for "The Dark Knight."

"With the crowded summer, we knew we would have to find the right weekend, and this seemed like the perfect one considering three-quarters of our audience was female," Rocco said.

Based on the stage musical set to the tunes of ABBA, "Mamma Mia!" features Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski.

The weekend's other new wide release, 20th Century Fox's animated family flick "Space Chimps," opened at No. 7 with $7.4 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Dark Knight," $155.34 million.

2. "Mamma Mia!", $27.6 million.

3. "Hancock," $14 million.

4. "Journey to the Center of the Earth," $11.9 million.

5. "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," $10 million.

6. "WALL-E," $9.8 million.

7. "Space Chimps," $7.4 million.

8. "Wanted," $5.1 million.

9. "Get Smart," $4.1 million.

10. "Kung Fu Panda," $1.8 million.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I read the EW review of the movie and I think their criticism was well placed. Basically they said it had too much plot, too many twists and turns and it probably would have been even better with a slighly less ambitious plot - focusing more on Batman vs Joker. I would tend to agree with that. It was almost too much to digest and that is making me think it might be beter the second time around
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I almost went right back in when I saw it Friday. Your comments make me wish more that I did. How far apart were the showings for you?

It doesn't seem like I'll go today, but sometime this week I'll go back.
    My first viewing was at 12:40, the second at 6:15. (I drove down to Greenwood between shows... yes, I'm crazy.) The closeness of viewings helped cement actions and dialogue with themes of the film. I'm happy I did it as I believe my experience was enhanced from watching it just once.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Awesome. Best superhero movie yet?

Spoiler Spoiler:
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

This post will sound a lot like what Hicks said, but I have to reiterate some of his thoughts. I was super pumped and excited to see this movie. Mainly, because I absolutely loved Batman Begins. However, I went to the movie theater completely expecting to be let down as I was with Spiderman 3, the last two Matrix movies, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, the Phantom Menace, and pretty much most other movies that are hyped up and I get excited to see. I also completely expected Heath Ledger's performance to be wildly overrated because it was his final performance.

Wow, was I wrong. I am so glad I was wrong. I was completely blown away by the movie. Heath Ledger completely stole every scene he was in and left me wanting more. The movie had good special effects, but the plot and the performances of the actors made the movie -- the way I feel it should be. Needless to say, I am going back for another screening tonight. I think I'm even more excited to see it a second time to catch elements I didn't catch the first time. My wife thinks I'm nuts for seeing it twice in two days - but I don't care, I suggested she just go see Sex and the City instead.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Going again to see it tonight at 10PM EST.

Can't wait as always.

Bought a new shirt today.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/sto...46&PID=1992680

I have to admit I don't get it. I started checking my watch at about the 1:30 mark. The first one was disposable but at least it was fairly lean popcorn fare. I guess when some of these directors get enough pull the ability of the studios to do necessary editing just goes out the window. How could anyone possibly enjoy sitting through that twice, let alone in the same weekend?

It would have been much much better if they would have just kept it to a sort of character triangle between Dent, B-man and Joker. I'm sorry Ledger is dead and all but no one could honestly compare that one note performance with what he did in Brokeback Mountain. They completely drove the moral actors vs. irrational actors bit into the ground with about 3-4 too many speeches and about the same number too many characters. It just played like a overly long version of Law and Order with special effects. The whole boat thing actually had me chuckling with it's self-congratulatory earnestness.
    Last edited by McClintic Sphere; 07-20-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: I like editing