Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Favre reinstated in the NFL

  1. #1

    Default Favre reinstated in the NFL

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219


    Updated: August 3, 2008, 11:23 AM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstated Brett Favre on Sunday, the three-time MVP told ESPN's Ed Werder.

    The Packers couldn't confirm the reinstatement, and said because it wasn't an offical business day for the league it wasn't possible Sunday.

    Nevertheless, Favre was prepared Sunday to fly to Green Bay.

    ESPN's Wendi Nix reported from Green Bay that Favre's plane was scheduled to touch down at 6:30 ET, though he didn't plan to attend the sold-out Packers Family Night at Lambeau Field, which more than 60,000 fans were expected to attend.

    Packers officials planned to greet Favre upon his arrival to Green Bay. Favre was expected to report to training camp Monday by 1 p.m. ET, when the Packers say they will be prepared to make a roster move.


    On Saturday, Goodell said he hoped the situation would be resolved by Monday, by which team and league sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix that he was expected to act on the reinstatement.

    Goodell visited the Cincinnati Bengals' training camp on Saturday before heading north to Canton, Ohio, for the weekend's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

    "I'm not trying to interject myself," Goodell said in Georgetown, Ky., according to The Associated Press. "I was interjected into it because there was a tampering charge initially. I'm not looking for things to interject myself to. It's an issue that needs to be addressed because of the competing interests. You want to make sure it's done properly and within our rules. This is an issue that ultimately has to be decided between Brett and the Packers."

    The Packers hold Favre's rights until his current contract expires after the 2010 season.


    NFC North

    ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

    Blog network: NFL Nation
    Tensions have built between Favre and the team over the past several weeks.

    Packers coach Mike McCarthy again praised his players for not allowing the Favre situation to distract them.

    "What's going on between Brett and the organization is something that the players and coaches, we cannot handle," McCarthy said Saturday. "We're not involved in it. I think they did a good job from a responsibility standpoint dealing with it for about two days, but the focus has been on improving."

    Earlier this week, Favre sent a letter to Goodell requesting to be reinstated from the team's reserve/retired list. But Goodell has held off approving the request, hoping the two sides could resolve their differences.

    "Primarily, it starts with the fact, does Brett want to play football?" Goodell said. "The second is, do the Packers want him to play for the Packers. Those are the two principal points that have to be resolved. And only two parties can make that determination, not me."

    Goodell said both parties are being "reasonable."

    "They're difficult, emotional issues," Goodell said. "They're important to the future of both of them."
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 08-03-2008 at 11:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: Favre to take the money

    This whole situation has been incredibly stupid and horribly mismanaged on both sides.

  3. #3
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Report: Favre to take the money

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This whole situation has been incredibly stupid and horribly mismanaged on both sides.
    Ditto.

  4. #4
    The Dude Abides MrSparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Re: Report: Favre to take the money

    All this poor man ever wanted to do was play another season of FOOTBALL!


    Any chance him/agent/family knew this was a possibility from the beginning?
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

  5. #5

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Good for Brett.

  6. #6
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    And now there's talk of him being allowed to compete for the starting job, which is the right choice, IMO.

  7. #7
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And now there's talk of him being allowed to compete for the starting job, which is the right choice, IMO.
    Yeah it's gonna be a real competitive battle I'll give you 3 guesses who wins the starting position. It's all smoke and mirrors now by the Packers. Everyone knows who the Starting QB will be. All it's going to be is a media circus and I'm sure people won't be interested for long.

    I'm already bored with the Packers/Farve Drama.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And now there's talk of him being allowed to compete for the starting job, which is the right choice, IMO.
    Brett one. GM 0

    He will thank Brett later.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Even Hitler is sick of Favre

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7lFGuW7_s

  10. #10
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    That was one of the shortest retirements ever.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Aaron Rogers is lucky Farve is going to play.

    Had Farve not been allowed to play or if he were to go to another team Aaron would be screwed. No matter how well we played it wouldn't be good enough.

    I just wish someone would offer me 20 million to retire.

  12. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    What's more absurd; that the Packers offered Favre $20 million to stay retired, or that Favre turned it down?

  13. #13
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    I agree with rommie. If Farve goes down with an injury or just stinks it up then Rogers comes in with no pressure on him.

    It would be interesting to know how their teammates really feel about the whole situation.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's more absurd; that the Packers offered Favre $20 million to stay retired, or that Favre turned it down?
    You are looking at it as a poor man getting rich for nothing.

    Like I said if Peyton did the same thing many die hard colts fan would want him back over a recently new GM's pride.

  15. #15
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    I just don't really understand why GB is so adverse to letting Favre come back. He still played at a high level last season, and their best shot at a SB is with him right now.

  16. #16
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    I think it's all silly personally. Unless Favre is injured , no way in hell does Rodgers start for GB. The fans would probably riot if that happened. Favre is GB's best chance to get to the Playoffs.

  17. #17
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't really understand why GB is so adverse to letting Favre come back. He still played at a high level last season, and their best shot at a SB is with him right now.

    Because they've been grooming Aaron as his replacement. I believe his contract is up after this year, and they've really taken a dump on him now. You want the guy you've tagged as the replacement pissed off going into free agency?

    Also, there's the question was it Favre that stepped up his play last year or did the team finally make strides? His numbers the few years prior were low.

    Then you get into the fact that sometimes looking towards the future, as opposed to right now is the smarter thing to do. Get Rodgers feet wet while they're fine tuning those around him, and look at next year to make another big jump in competitiveness.

    Not to mention Favre has been doing the whole Clemens' "do I want to play, do I not want to play," schtick now for three seasons. There comes a time when enough is enough. Before he announced his retirement GB officials flew down to his home and try to talk him out of retirement. He didn't want any of it, then a month later he changes his mind?

    What do you do if he does it again, and then again. He still has two years left on his contract after this year.



    The whole point is sometimes enough is enough and you've got to be concerned about the franchises future. Green Bay was there before Brett Favre and it will be after. He isn't the Packers, his just one part of their history. He shouldn't be able to hold 52 other players hostage, along with the rest of the franchise and their fanbase, week in and week out. He's been completely selfish this entire time.

    Did the Pack do everything right? No, not even close. But they tried talking him out of it from the beginning and he told them there was no way he wanted to play and was going forward with the retirement process. They then moved forward and gave the green light to Aaron Rodgers.

    I'm so sick of this whole thing and just wish he would go away.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Rodgers has two years left on his contract - but your point is still entirely valid.

  19. #19
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,770

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's more absurd; that the Packers offered Favre $20 million to stay retired, or that Favre turned it down?
    neither really.

    brett wants to play so it is worth giving up the $20mil.

    and the packers offering the $20mil deal now looks a bit foolish but it was rumored to be in the works when brett announced his retirement. it isn't unlike the deal the dolphins gave to marino when he retired.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  20. #20
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,586

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Favre reinstated in the NFL

    Why would Favre take the $20M buyout offer if he could coast through three more seasons and make almsot twice that?

Similar Threads

  1. Random, Scattered Disturbed Thoughts
    By Twes in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 5619
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 09:52 AM
  2. Report: Packers have Favre's phone records
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 01:09 PM
  3. Report: Favre formally asks for release.
    By Moses in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 09:14 AM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  5. The PD NBA Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •