Thread: Report: Favre formally asks for release.

Default Report: Favre formally asks for release.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3483521
    HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

The letter was sent by Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, via overnight mail on Thursday and arrived at the Packers facility Friday morning.

Cook, on behalf of Favre, expressed a desire to have an amicable parting, as the Packers have been reluctant to embrace his return. Favre announced his retirement in early March.

During a conference call on Tuesday that included Packers general manager Ted Thompson, Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Favre and Cook, sources say that the quarterback stated emphatically that he wanted to play again.

When Favre was reminded by the Packers' brass that it was in March when the quarterback said publicly and privately that he wasn't 100 percent committed to football, sources said. Favre acknowledged his state of mind at the time, but added that he never felt he was a 100 percent committed in March of previous years, either. Favre felt he had to make a decision to retire because the Packers were pressing him for an answer, a source said.

During the same conference call on Tuesday, neither Thompson nor McCarthy were openly receptive or enthused about Favre's desire to un-retire, the sources said, prompting Favre to direct Cook to request his release from the Packers. Favre has three years remaining on his contract for a total of $39 million. He currently is on the reserve-retired list.

Favre wants a mutual parting rather than having to force the Packers' hand by writing a letter to request his reinstatement to the active 80-man roster. Under league policy, the team would have to comply or release him.

Cook's letter did suggest that Favre's accomplishments for the franchise merited the team honoring his request to be released, also asking that the action be taken "with no strings attached." Favre does not want to be traded, sources said, because he wants the freedom of choice to play for any other franchise.

Favre has been in communication with McCarthy during the past month about his desire to play but until this week had not spoken with Thompson.

Neither Thompson nor McCarthy were available for comment on Friday.

Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation when approached while working out Friday morning at a local high school in Hattiesburg. He appeared to be in excellent physical condition and threw the ball with ease, even throwing a football 50 yards "on a rope" with high school receivers. He has been throwing and running with the team for more than a month.

Favre was relaxed and in a positive frame of mind, joking and telling stories about himself, former teammates and coaches. He planned to continue working out next week.
    This is about as surprising as Travis Henry testing positive for Marijuana again. I could see him landing in Minnesota/Chicago very easily if the Pack actually release him.
    Last edited by Moses; 07-11-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Report: Favre formally asks for release.

I get so freaking tired of this crap.

RETIRE already.

No question - this ends well for everyone involved.

I am not thinking it ended so well for all the Green Bay fans.

No question - sarcasm is the new dead serious.

They need to sit down with him and come up with a mutually acceptable list of teams and then trade him.

They can't just let him go - can you imagine Chicago with a real live, living, breathing quarterback?

And for them, its Rodgers' turn and they used a 2nd rd pick on Brohm who has some potential.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is acting like a 16 year old girl.

I have always liked and respected Farve. I understand that he feels rushed, the fans wanted to know, the media wanted to know, and from what he is saying (and I believe it) the team was bugging the **** out of him to get a answer.

With that said, you made a decision, now live by it. I can see the Packers reinstating him to the active roster, but I don't see them cutting him or trading him. There is not a damned thing he can do if they bring him back but just let him sit on the bench behind Rogers.

I personally think he should just lay low for a while and then in two or three years come back as a quarterback coach or something of that sort.

Here is what will happen if they don't trade him.

Farve will sit the bench for the first 2 games then Rodgers will suck it up so bad that they will bring Farve as the starter.

No question the Packers are better with Farve than without.

Favre in Chicago? lol, he would get killed. I don't think Brett is looking for a deal with a team that has no offensive line, a questionable running game and no playmakers at WR (outside of Hester).

If he is going to stay in the division, it has to be Minnesota. They actually have a pretty good collection of talent overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is what will happen if they don't trade him.

Farve will sit the bench for the first 2 games then Rodgers will suck it up so bad that they will bring Farve as the starter.

No question the Packers are better with Farve than without.
    I'm not so sure about that. Rodgers looked pretty good when he played last year..it would also allow the Pack to install a lot more bootleg and screen plays seeing as how Rodgers has 15x the mobility of Favre.

If your a Green Bay fan how can you be fine with not taking Favre back to develope Aaron Rodgers. Thats like the Pacers not taking Reggie back, so they can concentrate on developing Shawne Williams.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think both sides are at fault here. I think the Packers rushed Farve and I think Farve should have said something if he felt being rushed. Maybe Farve is trying to play his cards so the fans scream foul.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If your a Green Bay fan how can you be fine with not taking Favre back to develope Aaron Rodgers. Thats like the Pacers not taking Reggie back, so they can concentrate on developing Shawne Williams.
    Depends on if you're a Favre/Reggie fan or a Packers/Pacers fan.

Favre made his call. I'm sorry he felt pressured - boo-hoo. What is he - 14? The team drafted 2 QB's and Rodgers has spent the past 4 months figuring on being the starter. It's much more in GB's interest to keep Rodgers happy than it is to keep Favre happy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

depends upon who is telling the truth.

We know Favre has talked of retiring 3 or so years in a row. They apparently asked him to make up his mind earlier this time so that Rogers can prepare more and that they could pursue backups in the draft. If Favre had a problem with that time frame, he didn't have to follow it. Nobody put a gun to his head to have that press conference.

Then if we are to believe Green Bay, he expressed regrets a week or two later, they were OK with that, then he flip-flopped AGAIN and said "I retire" once more. You can only put up with so much indecisiveness, if that chronology is correct.

I think it's in Green Bay's best interests to do what they are doing-- not release him, try to trade him to an AFC team to get something. Letting him walk to the Vikings or Bears would be STUPID.

If no trade takers emerge, then I guess you swallow the contract or put him on the "did not report" list if he doesn't show up to be a backup/tutor.

Harsh, but this is a business.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 07-15-2008 at 09:17 AM.