Thread: Bird likes new look of Pacers

Default Bird likes new look of Pacers

The makeover isn't complete, but Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird sees the two recent trades that became official Wednesday as major steps toward rebuilding a team that missed the playoffs the past two seasons.

In Bird's view, the seven players the Pacers acquired add speed, flexibility, defense in the post, the chance for a young group to grow together and salary-cap space in the near future.

And, Bird acknowledged, the moves signal the end of the Jamaal Tinsley era.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said the point guard spot was solidified with the mix of newcomers T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack and second-year Pacer Travis Diener. There was no mention of Tinsley, who has played an average of just 49 games for the team the past five seasons because of various injuries.

"We're trying to do some things to see what's out there for Jamaal and hopefully we can get something done," Bird said. "Jamaal's been great for us. Unfortunately, he's been injured from time to time. He's still a great basketball player, but Jimmy's right. We're probably going in a different direction."

Wednesday was the first day the Pacers were allowed to comment on the trades because of NBA restrictions.

Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic forward Maceo Baston and Georgetown center Roy Hibbert, the 17th draft pick, come to the Pacers from Toronto in the Jermaine O'Neal trade, made shortly before the June 26 draft. The Raptors also get the Pacers' second-round pick, Nathan Jawai.

In a draft-day deal, the Pacers received Jack, forward Josh McRoberts of Carmel High School and No. 13 pick Brandon Rush of Kansas from Portland for No. 11 pick Jerryd Bayless, a freshman guard from Arizona.

Tinsley, with three years and $21 million left on his contract, became expendable.

"We're bringing in players that we feel fit in not only with the team, but with the community," Bird said. "The best thing about it, they can play. We feel we have a nucleus of players that can help us continue to get better and hopefully in the near future get back to where we want to be."
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Default Re: Bird likes new look of Pacers

They talk about the Portland trade a few times in the article, but they never once mention Ike Diogu in the trade. Thats really weird. He has been traded http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ike_diogu/. One other thing; im really happy with what Bird is doing. He talked about getting another pick in this trade and he made it happen. He also talked about fixing the PG situation in Indy and he did that. Now in this article he says "the makeover is not complete", which is really good to hear. We still need to work on our front court

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They talk about the Portland trade a few times in the article, but they never once mention Ike Diogu in the trade. Thats really weird.
    Not at all. He was only there for salary considerations... I doubt he even makes the team.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Not at all. He was only there for salary considerations... I doubt he even makes the team.
    i would find that weird. What would happen to his $2,912,823 salary next season? Im sure another team would pick him up, if the Blazers wave him

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    i would find that weird. What would happen to his $2,912,823 salary next season? Im sure another team would pick him up, if the Blazers wave him
    I think they'll waive him. If another team picks him up off waivers, they'll pay his salary. If not, Portland will.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has there ever been a more elementary article title?

"Bird likes new look of Pacers"

Well dear God I hope so, I'd be pretty worried if the article read...

"Bird hates directionless Pacers, Wonders what idiot is running this team"

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

The same can be said about McRoberts.

I disagree about Ike not making the team. I find it hard to believe Portland made this trade with the idea they would let Ike go and have to pay him 2.9 mil. It's more likely if they don't want him, they will trade him. If he's let go, Portland is responsible for his salary just like the Pacers were for White's salary.

Ike is one of those kids who shows just enough of a glimmer
    to entice the 'next team' to think they'll be the ones to make
    him a fit and get him to fulfill his potential. Assuming he sticks
    around in the league, I'll bet this won't be the last time he's
    traded. He's that perfect 'extra piece' to fill out a deal centered
    around other assets.