Thread: Jacksonville Jaguar Matt Jones faces felony drug charge

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jacksonville Jaguar Matt Jones faces felony drug charge

With Jacksonville, can you expect any less?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3481361

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones faces a felony drug charge in his former college town after police say officers found him cutting up cocaine with a credit card Thursday morning.
    Jones

The 25-year-old Jones and two other men were inside a Toyota SUV in Fayetteville just after 12:40 a.m. Thursday when officers approached. Officers saw a card covered in a white powder in Jones' lap as he used a credit card to scrape it, a police report said.

Officers opened the door and ordered Jones to put his hands in the air. According to the report, Jones kept his left hand out of view, forcing at least one officer to draw his handgun.

Jones, 25-year-old Jared Hicks and 26-year-old Benjamin Cook were arrested. Officers say they searched the vehicle and found a plastic bag filled with a white substance that tested positive for cocaine and a jar with possible marijuana residue.

Officers questioned Jones and he acknowledged the white powder was cocaine, the report said.

Hicks and Cook were arrested on misdemeanor drug charges. Jones was being held Thursday at the Washington County jail on a charge of felony possession of a controlled substance, and is scheduled to be arraigned Friday.

The team was waiting to learn details of the case before commenting.
    "We're trying to investigate that now," Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver said of Jones' arrest. "We don't have all the facts. We will comment on that once we have all the facts."

Officers say Hicks had a small plastic straw coated with suspected cocaine behind his ear. Both Cook and Hicks face misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia. Neither was in jail Thursday morning, officials said.

Jones was a star quarterback at Arkansas, throwing for 5,857 yards and running for 2,535. He was a first-round draft pick in 2005, but failed to develop into the go-to receiver Jacksonville thought he could be.
    Jones caught 77 passes for 1,075 yards and nine touchdowns in his first two pro seasons, but struggled in 2007. Coach Jack Del Rio became increasingly frustrated with Jones' demeanor and work ethic last season, making him inactive for three games.

In the offseason, the Jaguars signed free agent Jerry Porter and traded for former first-round pick Troy Williamson.
    Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Really, I thought this guy was always pretty solid for the Jags. Well, I couldn't care less if they moved that franchise to Vegas, so a plague on them, I guess.

Default Re: Jacksonville Jaguar Matt Jones faces felony drug charge

He will get Cut. He might have anyway but with the stricter policy and the fact Jacksonville already has had their off field incidents he is gone. I think the Colts should take a look at him if Marvin is out for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really, I thought this guy was always pretty solid for the Jags. Well, I couldn't care less if they moved that franchise to Vegas, so a plague on them, I guess.
    Nope. He's been a huge bust that Jags fans have looong given up on.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Nope. He's been a huge bust that Jags fans have looong given up on.
    Exactly and why would we want him now, after this?

No way we even look at him. If Marvin isn't going to be healthy, we'll use Gonzalez, I thought. But I have a feeling Marvin will be fine this season.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I still have a hard time believing Marvin will be healthy.

But not once in a million years would I take Jones over Gonzo. Gonzo will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Exactly and why would we want him now, after this?

No way we even look at him. If Marvin isn't going to be healthy, we'll use Gonzalez, I thought. But I have a feeling Marvin will be fine this season.
    The only reason we take a look at him is because of his size and speed. The guy is/was a fantastic athlete. I hope Marvin is healthy but if not, our organization must take a look at all options.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The only reason we take a look at him is because of his size and speed. The guy is/was a fantastic athlete. I hope Marvin is healthy but if not, our organization must take a look at all options.
    I'd be fine with it, but I don't want any more negative publicity than the little we already have.

This guy apparently has character issues, and that's why I don't think the Colts will take a very serious look at him. Besides, I think Gonzo is going to be great for us. Already been talks of him having one of the best chances to have a break-out season this coming fall.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He will get Cut. He might have anyway but with the stricter policy and the fact Jacksonville already has had their off field incidents he is gone. I think the Colts should take a look at him if Marvin is out for the season.
    First of all, Dungy has already gone on record that Marvin and Freeney are both fine medically and will be ready for the season. He also said that in his conversations with the Philly PD, Marv doesn't apear to be a suspect in the shooting case from earlier this year.

Second of all, Jones is facing FELONY drug charges, that while not likely to produce jail time, will certainly draw an 8 game suspension from the league with the Chris Henry precedent. It's not like they have to prove it either because Jones told the officers during the search that it was cocaine.

The Colts and every other NFL team should avoid him like the plague. I agree that every team should consider every option, I just don't consider Jones to be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    First of all, Dungy has already gone on record that Marvin and Freeney are both fine medically and will be ready for the season. He also said that in his conversations with the Philly PD, Marv doesn't apear to be a suspect in the shooting case from earlier this year.

Second of all, Jones is facing FELONY drug charges, that while not likely to produce jail time, will certainly draw an 8 game suspension from the league with the Chris Henry precedent. It's not like they have to prove it either because Jones told the officers during the search that it was cocaine.

The Colts and every other NFL team should avoid him like the plague. I agree that every team should consider every option, I just don't consider Jones to be an option.
    I do not know how many time Jones has been in trouble with the law. The Jaguars have a long history of arrests on par with the Bengals. I do not know the laws in every state some are more liberal on offenders w/ first time drug offenses.
    The whole thing with the Colts organization is they have a history of being very tight lipped in regards to injuries. Last year after the knee injury Marvin was listed out due to a knee bruise. I just feel in order to get over the New England's & San Diego's we have to do what it takes to win. Jones is a big WR, Very tough, former College QB, & Great Athlete that can return kicks and punts if necessary. If Adam Jones can join Dallas, a team might want Jones.

Jones is very tough? I must have missed that one.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Jones is very tough? I must have missed that one.
    How is he not tough? The guy is 6'6 238lbs and does not shy away from Contact.

Jones is a bust and will be blackballed by the league after this arrest. I think it will be at least a year before a team even thinks about bringing him in for a workout.

How is he not tough? The guy is 6'6 238lbs and does not shy away from Contact.
    He is constantly made fun of by his own fans for being one of the softest player to ever put pads on.

Craphonso Thorpe > Matt Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    He is constantly made fun of by his own fans for being one of the softest player to ever put pads on.

Craphonso Thorpe > Matt Jones
    Jones did not suit up in many games last year but he scored 3 TD's in the last four games. He is a big play threat everytime he touches the ball.

And also made fun of for his poor work ethic and oftentimes taking plays off. He has never once struck me as tough.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    And also made fun of for his poor work ethic and oftentimes taking plays off. He has never once struck me as tough.
    Did you watch him in college?

Jones did not suit up in many games last year but he scored 3 TD's in the last four games. He is a big play threat everytime he touches the ball.
    Because he was suspended during the season by Del Rio for performance issues.

Did you watch him in college?
    Did you? He was a QB, who got drafted because of his size and speed so they thought he could be converted into a wideout.

Just because you're big doesn't mean you're tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Because he was suspended during the season by Del Rio for performance issues.

Did you? He was a QB, who got drafted because of his size and speed so they thought he could be converted into a wideout.

Just because you're big doesn't mean you're tough.
    Yes, I did.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jones is a big WR, Very tough...
    Hehe you lost me chief. Jones is about as tough as a wet sheet of that cheap one ply toilet paper in the school john. Seriously, you are the only person I have ever seen refer to Jones as tough. He doesn't take a hit worth a crap, he refuses to block for his teammates downfield, and goes down to avoid contact. That's fine if you're 5'10" and 185 lbs like Marvin, but if you're Jones' size you should be running people over like a Mack truck. He doesn't do that and isn't tough by any stretch of the imagination.

I think he'll get a look from a team or two after his suspension from this drug arrest is over (like I said look for 8 games), but the Colts with their embarrassment of riches at wideout won't be one of them.

The only reason I feel Matt Jones is tough is b/c he was the Starting QB for an SEC Team (The best conference in football) The SEC does not produce starting QB's that are not tough!

I bet you people were rooting for Josh Hamilton in the Home Run Derby last night, People deserve second Chances. Criticize Matt JOnes all you want but if he comes back stronger from this you will be rooting for him as well.

There's quite a bit of difference from someone who's hit rock bottom, built their life up and made it back than someone who was just busted for it and apologizes.

As someone with a coke addict for a brother, I wouldn't believe anything a recovering addict says for atleast a year of proveable soberity. Addicts will do anything to fed their disease.

No, I'm not saying Jones is, but he should be treated like one. They can be clean for months at a time then start bingeing, sober up, and repeat the cycle. The way it affects your brain and thought processes is the biggest point.

Make sure they're living a clean life first, then take the chance. Not the other way around.

You people should not be such haters. Matt Jones is having a better season than Marvin Harrison.

The Colts would never pick him up, you can count on that. They cut their best DT for misdemeanor marijuana posession.

The ironic thing is he was a big reason the Jags beat us this year. I hope we can shut them down next time.