Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calloway

Default Calloway

I know it's only summer league. I know Diener has a contract. I know it's only 2 games, but I really like what Calloway could bring to the table as our 3rd PG spot. Particularly on the defensive end. His shot seems to have gotten better since college as well. Anybody have thoughts on Calloway? Granted a 3rd string PG is nothing to jump up and down about, but it's slow and what else is there to talk about?

Default Re: Calloway

I don't expect anyone on the summer league to make this team.

Maybe Calloway is good enough for the NBA I don't know. I don't expect him to be on the Pacers next season though. We have 5 million reasons to keep Travis Diener and just brought in two other point guards. We don't need another one.

Mood

I really like Calloway as well, but we are just too stocked at the PG spot. I hope he catches on with another team. He is a good kid that deserves a chance.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think people are quick to dismiss what Diener did for the team last year. I think he presents JOB an option of the bench that is very different from Jack and who can hit the open 3PTer when left open. He also brings energy and comes to play every day and has a year of experience with JOB's offense.

Calloway may make it somewhere, but I don't expect the Pacers to cut a guaranteed contract for a different 3rd string PG.

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he presents JOB an option of the bench that is very different from Jack and who can hit the open 3PTer when left open.
    Jack is a SIGNIFICANTLY better shooter than Diener.

I don't understand why people keep thinking Diener's a shooter. He's not.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    How did he get into the NBA then?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Compromising pictures of high ranking NBA personnel.

[QUOTE=iPACER;754583]I think people are quick to dismiss what Diener did for the team last year. I think he presents JOB an option of the bench that is very different from Jack and who can hit the open 3PTer when left open. He also brings energy and comes to play every day and has a year of experience with JOB's offense.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    He reminded Larry Bird of Mark Price.

You remember Larry Bird... his previous PG signing was Sarunas.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yes, and a significantly better player. I think people are going to be really surprised....shocked in fact. This guy is very capable of scoring in double figures for us and can defend. Diener can do Niener...er, Neither. ...and Jack is only 24 years old.

With that said, Diener is a decent backup PG. That's just how far we've come with these trades. We have been so PG poor for so long it's not even funny. IMO, Ford is clearly better than Tinsley...and I think considering defense, Jack is just as good overall unless Tinsley is having a great game...which is about 10% of the time he even plays.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the biggest asset Diener brings to the team is his leadership and great locker-room presence... he was very much a glue / high chemistry guy for his teammates... and when he is on the floor he has a great assists to turnover ratio... so what else more can you ask from your 3rd string pg?
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Diener put up more 3PTers than Jack in half the amount of playing time last year. So he's a shooter. Didn't hit as many as we'd like, but he came out his rookie season shooting over 40% on 3PTers. Plus, he shot very well behind the arc in college.

I'm not going to argue with you if you're stating that Jack is a better shooter on average from every place on the court, though. Those stats would back your statement nicely.

And I'm sure not going to argue on the athleticism or defense... but if I needed a 3 PTer at the end of the game, I'd go with Travis over Jarrett.
    Last edited by MyFavMartin; 07-09-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Like the original poster started out with.. It was only the D-League but Calloway had a solid close to the season with the Mad Ants shooting over 40% from 3PT land and averaging 22 pts a game over the last 27. It would be nice to see him limit his turnovers in the last couple of summer league games if he continues to get as much run as he has in the first two. It seems like he would fit the Pacers system, and if we didn't have Diener I could see him sticking on as the 3rd PG possibly.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i went to the Bucks game towards the end of the season.. the Pacers were down by 10 i believe and Diener pretty much single-handedly brought us back and won the game by hitting all those threes. so yes, he is a shooter. and he consistantly provides a good assist-TO ratio. he's sure not a starter but i am very happy to have someone of his caliber as our #3. i don't see any reason to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    i went to the Bucks game towards the end of the season.. the Pacers were down by 10 i believe and Diener pretty much single-handedly brought us back and won the game by hitting all those threes. so yes, he is a shooter. and he consistantly provides a good assist-TO ratio. he's sure not a starter but i am very happy to have someone of his caliber as our #3. i don't see any reason to change that.

AMEN

people STILL dont get the fact that this last season was pretty much Diener's rookie season by all accounts....

Crap... what do you people expect?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
    Cause his technically rookie season with Orlando , he maybe played in a number of games you could probably count on your hands....

What more could you ask out of a guy playing his real first season.... when he was thrown to the wolves so to speak and forced into it by situtaion for us last year...???
    In which I think he done a pretty decent job considering the above... and the team we had to work with out on the floor ...

If Diener was given the PT that Jack has gotten over the last few years... It would be him and TJ Ford runnin the point and we wouldnt have Jack on our team....

IT kinda makes me upset in all honesty about us getting Jack , cause I wanted Trav to be our primary backup pg and develop LIKE HE SHOULD...

I hope like hell he doesn't ride the pine this year or I am going to be upset...

As much as it bothers me to say this... I hope that if he gets blackballed and dont get any minutes with us .. that we at very LEAST do him the courtesy of trading him to a team that will play him...
    Because if that happens I will instantly be a fan of whatever team he goes to... cause I think if a team lets him develop and play at minimum 20 minutes a game.. he WILL become the Mark Price of this generation of NBA players...
    The Hell with what some ofyou naysayers think...
    Last edited by Kemo; 07-09-2008 at 06:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    AMEN

people STILL dont get the fact that this last season was pretty much Diener's rookie season by all accounts....

Cause his technically rookie season with Orlando , he maybe played in a number of games you could probably count on your hands....

What more could you ask out of a guy playing his real first season.... when he was thrown to the wolves so to speak and forced into it by situtaion for us last year...???
    In which I think he done a pretty decent job considering the above... and the team we had to work with out on the floor ...

If Diener was given the PT that Jack has gotten over the last few years... It would be him and TJ Ford runnin the point and we wouldnt have Jack on our team....

IT kinda makes me upset in all honesty about us getting Jack , cause I wanted Trav to be our primary backup pg and develop LIKE HE SHOULD...

I hope like hell he doesn't ride the pine this year or I am going to be upset...

As much as it bothers me to say this... I hope that if he gets blackballed and dont get any minutes with us .. that we at very LEAST do him the courtesy of trading him to a team that will play him...
    Because if that happens I will instantly be a fan of whatever team he goes to... cause I think if a team lets him develop and play at minimum 20 minutes a game.. he WILL become the Mark Price of this generation of NBA players...
    Travis Diener is just not going to be the next Mark Price. Quote me on that.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    AMEN

Mark Price?

Hey Diener is that you?

You have got to be kidding, D. Rose and B. Westbrook would have torched Diener in the summer league or in a reg. season game if you ask me. Travis is a DEFENSIVE LIABILITY. Say it with me one more time a DEFENSIVE LIABILITY. And his offense, well anyone can come down the court and Jack three's in O'Brien's offense. You put him under a Carlisle and we will see if you are still singing the Diener song.

Calloway outplayed and more than held his own against two of the better rookie pgs in the draft. There is no way that Diener should get a sniff over Calloway. Calloway is much much faster and his defensive prescense on the court was uncanny in the two summer league games. If Calloway does make a mistake in the o, he can make up for his mistake with speed, as it was seen the games that he has played in so far. I firmly believe that you should have a pg that can score, because that just makes our team that much better. You dont know if the point guard is going to pass or shoot the rock, that is hard to defend. With Diener you know what you are getting, a slow, three chucking, DEFENSIVE LIABILITY, pg that cant create on his own.

Not a personal jab to the Diener lovers er Wiener lovers, but Calloway is hands down better than Diener.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    Travis Diener is just not going to be the next Mark Price. Quote me on that.
    Wow! Way to go out on a limb
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    Wow! Way to go out on a limb
    Sometimes it's best to take the safe route.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Diener put up more 3PTers than Jack in half the amount of playing time last year. So he's a shooter. Didn't hit as many as we'd like. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    i went to the Bucks game towards the end of the season.. the Pacers were down by 10 i believe and Diener pretty much single-handedly brought us back and won the game by hitting all those threes. so yes, he is a shooter.
    He's a shooter if Stephen Jackson's a shooter. He's a chucker with poor shot selection and FGA. Sure, some games he's lights out. But usually he's even worse, and those good games bring his FGA up.... to 31%.

iPac and crunk, do you guys consider Stephen Jackson to be a shooter?

Enjoy your time at PD!

I agree that Calloway won't make the team, but only because Diener has a guaranteed contract. If they were both coming in off the street, I'd say I'd rather have Calloway for the 3rd PG spot with his speed/ability to push the ball and ability to put ball pressure on the defensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukins View Post
    Not a personal jab to the Diener lovers, but Calloway is hands down better than Diener.
    Well, it is summer league. I wouldn't be able to say for sure until we get into an NBA season/preseason.

But if he keeps this up he's earned a camp invite at the very least.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

Tinsley is having a great game...which is about 10% of the time he even plays.
    That statement should have read "when he even played."

Diener did have an impressive ast/to ratio this past season, but still I'm not a fan of giving him the contract we did. You can find serviceable PGs like Diener in the D-league and undrafted and acquire them for the minimum.

Mood

Well, it is summer league. I wouldn't be able to say for sure until we get into an NBA season/preseason.

But if he keeps this up he's earned a camp invite at the very least.

I agree it is summer league play but, you would think with the experience that diener has had in the nba that he would look alot better than a straight off the street rookie.

I hope he does make it to camp, because at this point im thinking he is expendable. I dont think the 3rd pg will get much, if any playing time in the regular season anyway. It will be a good insurance policy to have another defensive minded pg that can create his own shot if need be.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS