Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absolutely ridiculous

woman without a team

Default Re: Absolutely ridiculous

Sucks doesn't begin to describe how terrible she is. This is harder to take than the first year when wins were a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    26 point loss. Totally unacceptable. Something has to be done.
    The opportunity was there to do something during the Olympics. It wasn't so why should I care if TPTB don't. I think this whole season has been a serious blow to this franchise.

Way to answer the bell everyone.
    Last edited by ABADays; 08-29-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, this is the best thing that can happen because watching them make a run only justifies Lin Dunn keeping her job. On the other hand, this only increases empathy with an already thin fan base.

Is this franchise going to make it?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Is this franchise going to make it?
    No.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    The opportunity was there to do something during the Olympics. It wasn't so why should I care if TPTB don't. I think this whole season has been a serious blow to this franchise.

Way to answer the bell everyone.
    I really don't think it's directly the players' fault. The talent is there, it just isn't being utilized like last year.

Shame on Lin Dunn.

Woot 2 game winning streak!

woman without a team

Somehow Lin still has her job. There's a Q&A with her on the Fever website. I couldn't make myself read past the second question. The typo was too much to take.

http://www.wnba.com/fever/news/dunn_..._1_081020.html

FeverBasketball.com: Lets start with the hard question first how do you answer the critics who say the Fever underachieved?
    Lin Dunn: We expect to challenge for the Eastern Conference championship every season. If we are not playing for the championship I am disappointed! It is very hard to clearly evaluate what we achieved this season. We had no idea going into the 2008 season how Catch's injury and recovery from Achilles surgery would affect us. We were not sure how the trade and having nine new players would impact us. We did not know Douglas would finish the season with a knee injury or how the Olympic break would impact us, in particular Tully leaving early and missing the last four games before the break. We won 17 games, won the series against all our East opponents except Detroit, made the playoffs and took Detroit (the eventual World Champion) to three games. We have much to be proud of and much to build on for the 2009 season!

FB: Were the expectations for the 2008 season set to high?
    LD: We ALWAYS set expectations high for the Fever. As I said before, we expect to play for championships.

FB: You never had the benefit of a consistent lineup. What is the prognosis for injury situations with Tamika Catchings and Katie Douglas?
    LD: We also never had the benefit of consistent time to practice together, in particular with nine new players and a new system we were trying to implement. I believe we had a total of five practices the entire season where all five starters were available the entire practice. We do expect both Katie and Catch to be fully recovered from their injuries for 2009 and we are looking forward to everyone being healthy and not having an Olympic break.

FB: One month removed from the season and knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently?
    LD: I would have found a way to heal Catchings quicker and figured out a way for Tully not to leave for the Olympic break early! I also would not have let Douglas hurt her knee in the Phoenix game before the Olympic break. I would have had at least one starter in training camp.

FB: This was your first head coaching venture since your time with Seattle from 2000-02. What was different for you?
    LD: The main challenge is adjusting back to being in charge, making the decisions versus giving suggestions as you do as an assistant. A big difference here in Indiana is that we have much more talent now than we did when we were building an expansion team from nothing in 2000. There is no greater challenge in any sport than building an expansion team.

FB: What are key areas that you think Indiana needs to improve for 2009?
    LD: We must continue to improve our rebounding; we must improve our scoring. We need to average 78-80 points a game and improved shooting, both from the floor and the free throw line, will help--as will continuing to "push" the ball. We need to continue to implement the style and system offensively and defensively that we would like to play. And we must improve our overall team defense. I thought our defense slipped in 2008 and I know having nine new players was a factor. However, defense will always be our foundation.

FB: What are a couple of things that you thought the Fever did well in 2008?
    LD: I thought we started the season extremely well--we had to over-achieve early without Catch being available. Several of our players improved their overall play, particularly Ebony Hoffman. Catchings' shooting percentage from 3-pt line improved dramatically, and she finished third overall in the league. Tan White was in double figures 13 of the 15 times she started. We faced a lot of adversity, injuries etc., yet we finished the season winning six of our last nine games and won the series over all of our east opponents except Detroit.

FB: Which is more significant for Fever success in 2009 trade/free agency, or the college draft?
    LD: I think they all are very important. We need to keep our core and build our system. We had a great deal of change in 08. We need stability now and we need to add a key player from the draft. We should be able to do that with the seventh pick. I also think, perhaps, one trade may also help us. I don't anticipate many changes in 2009.

FB: Can you identify two specific needs to be addressed via either trade, free agency or the draft?
    LD: I will recommend to Kelly Krauskopf that we evaluate our point guard position and our plan for the future at that spot. I will also recommend we improve our depth in the post. Those would be my two areas to address first.

FB: How will the dynamics of the team be changed from last season?
    LD: I don't think there will be any major dynamic changes. We will continue to grow our system and get more comfortable with our new group, players as well as staff. And we will build on what we accomplished in 2008.

FB: What is a benchmark for success in 2009?
    LD: We expect to play for championships! We will always set our goals and expectations very high. We expect to improve in all areas from 2008!

FB: Does the Fever need to become more physical to compete with the likes of East rival Detroit?
    LD: I think the Eastern conference is more physical than the west and yes, I think we need to be more physical, tougher. We have some finesse players, but we also have players that can match other teams physicalness. I would like to have a few more.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like Lynch at IU, the Fever will remain listless until Dunn is gone.