Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Harrison speaks

Default David Harrison speaks

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ts/?printer=1/

Ex-CU player Harrison interested in joining Nuggets
    By Chris Tomasson

Monday, July 7, 2008

David Harrison has been spared the cost of taking out an ad.

"If you write something about me, maybe the Nuggets will see it and get interested," Harrison joked Monday.

Actually, a source said the Nuggets are looking at Harrison, a free-agent center who played for the University of Colorado. But they were not said to be one of the most interested teams.

Maybe that will change when they hear of Harrison wanting to play for Denver.

"I chose to play at Colorado, and that's an area that I love," said Harrison, who averaged 4.2 points and 2.2 rebounds last season for Indiana and five and 2.9 in his first four seasons with the Pacers. "I love the fans. I think I could help (the Nuggets) win some games."

But what might the most interesting aspect for the luxury-tax strapped Nuggets? Harrison is willing to work cheap.

"I would take a minimum deal if I would play a lot," Harrison said of the $854,957 minimum for a four-year player. "Obviously, I would love to get a lot of money, but I used to play for free."

For now, Harrison's primary concern is resurrecting a career that has included being suspended in January for five games for violating the NBA's substance-abuse policy. The Pacers did not pick up his $2 million qualifying offer for next season, making him an unrestricted free agent.

The 7-foot Harrison believes the Pacers have interest in re-signing him at a lower price, and he worked out last week for Boston. He's trying to show teams he has grown up after an underwhelming start to his career.

"My first four years in the NBA, I was very childish," Harrison said. "I thought I was still in college. But I've got to put that behind me and be a man."

Harrison called it a "wake-up" call when he was suspended.

"I don't know if I can say what it was," he said of the drug involved. "But it wasn't anything hard."

Now, Harrison is concerned with having a hard body. Harrison, who said he weighed 310 pounds when drafted in 2004 and was more than 270 last season, said he's down to 265 and has been working out regularly in Houston. If that is a further lure for the Nuggets, they know where to find Harrison.

Default Re: David Harrison speaks

Well...this is the first time I've seen "unrestricted" free agent in print. It's a shame that neither the Pacers nor Harrison could figure out a way to control the beast inside and get to the talent that I think is there. I did think he looked leaner and more physically fit each year, but he never got more sensible.

I have nothing against the guy, so I hope he catches on...somewhere else.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Harrison is another one of the guys that has been snake-bit from the fallout of the Brawl. Of course he was crazy before then but both he and the Pacers need a fresh start.

He has potential but I doubt he ever puts it all together and ever cracks a 9-man rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude's connection is in Boulder.

Sounds like he's willing to work for a dime... er... nickel... er...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well if he's really got his act together and saw the suspension as a wake up call I'd assume the Pacers brass was aware of the change and still has interest in him.

Otherwise it's pretty empty talk. He had time post-suspension to show attention in meetings and practice and to make JOB/Bird believe in his sincerity. Maybe they do simply want to lower the price below the qualifier (which would be the smart choice), but if I were another team I'd wonder why the Pacers don't want him at the minimum if it goes that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Dude's connection is in Boulder.

Sounds like he's willing to work for a dime... er... nickel... er...
    Nice

One way or another, Harrison will fit in well in the Mile High City.

If the Pacers keep Harrison, I will

Last edited by Putnam; 07-08-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

"David Harrison speaks"

A great accomplishment in any child's development.

I recall someone asking him once in an interview if he'd mind playing for the Nuggets someday since he's a UofC grad and he rebuffed them. And now suddenly he's interested...

Harrison was our best post defender last season when Jermaine was not in the lineup. I do not wish David any harm and hope he find a niche in the league next year. The guy is a seven footer who is very strong and able to score the ball in the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    "David Harrison speaks"

A great accomplishment in any child's development.

lol

Part of the problem was that he spoke too much before using his brain.

My impression has always sort of been that he isn't really a "natural"
    basketball talent - just a really big tall guy that got dragged into
    being a basketball player because of his size.

Anyway, good tidings to him wherever he ends up.

I think David needs a fresh start somewhere else, and preferably not Denver. It'd be too tempting to start up his old antics again. I really think Boston would have been a good fit, or somewhere where the leadership and team atmosphere is air-tight. He needs to know to put himself in a positions to succeed, as the big money will come later if he does that.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I wonder if he missed his calling by not following his father's footsteps.

Can you imagine the dude rushing a quarterback with all that crazy violent temper?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Can you imagine the dude rushing a quarterback with all that crazy violent temper?
    Great point, but I think the D lineman ship sailed when he shot up to 7'. If he would've stayed around the 6'6" range, I have no doubt that he'd be wearing a helmet and shoulder pads to work.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

Or how about even becoming a pro wrestler and going into the WWF...

I could see Hulk delivering a thumb-thrust to the throat of someone
    Ernie Ladd style ...

The guy would be devestating!

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    Great point, but I think the D lineman ship sailed when he shot up to 7'. If he would've stayed around the 6'6" range, I have no doubt that he'd be wearing a helmet and shoulder pads to work.
    How tall was the Cowboys great "D" player Too Tall Jones? 6'10"?

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post

Ed Jones was 6'9". Harrison is probably alittle below 7'.

His mentality would have been great for a nose tackle. He could take plays off, use aggresion to his advantage, and would not stick out when complaining since it would be through a helmet.

I pray another team makes a mistake on him so that the Pacers can shoot free throws while he complains about the call.

Thanks, UB, for bringing this article to the board. I've been curious as to what a 7' guy with no pay check is thinking. I wish David well but on some other team, any other team. His 'pot is OK' attitude, his lack of work ethic and his chronic injuries plumb wore me out. Let some other franchise take over the baby sitting assignment. it's time the Pacers moved on (and I think they have).

Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    his lack of work ethic and his chronic injuries
    I'm not sad to see him go, but I don't think this is fair. The dude worked hard... just look at a picture of him now vs. when he was drafted.

As for "chronic" () injuries, his two biggest ones were major concussions due to getting hit in the head. Nothing he can do about that!

I'm not sorry to see him go... I'm ready for more mature players. But his problem isn't a lack of work or conditioning.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

... and crickets chirp...

Anthem, how you can possibly say David Harrison had a good work ethic? That was the knock on him coming into the draft and nothing changed. He never got better. He was prone to foul, lost his temper way too frequently and never mastered the art of blocking out. His defense was sub-par the whole time he was a Pacer. That's work ethic, too. Work ethic is more than just losing weight. And, yes, he was chronically injured. In fact he missed 139 games over 4 years.

His biggest problem is a distinct lack of self control. He may have the body and desire to be a pro, but he does not seem to have the head for it, maybe a change of scenery and a program with fewer distractions can help him. I don't care, I am not sad to see him leave, good luck and good bye big guy.

they need to get david harrison out bcause this is

Anthem, how you can possibly say David Harrison had a good work ethic? That was the knock on him coming into the draft and nothing changed. He never got better. He was prone to foul, lost his temper way too frequently and never mastered the art of blocking out. His defense was sub-par the whole time he was a Pacer. That's work ethic, too. Work ethic is more than just losing weight. And, yes, he was chronically injured. In fact he missed 139 games over 4 years.
    How many of the 139 games was he suspended or DNP Coaches Decision?

David Harrison defense was not sub-par. He looks Like Dennis Rodman compared to Troy Murphy defending the post!

He did foul and lose his head but do not knock him for not hustling.

Anthem, how you can possibly say David Harrison had a good work ethic? That was the knock on him coming into the draft and nothing changed.
    Go find a picture of him on draft night. Dude had a spare tire. Look at him now... he's in very good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by madison
    He was prone to foul, lost his temper way too frequently and never mastered the art of blocking out.
    I can't disagree with this. But none of it is related to his work ethic.

His defense was sub-par the whole time he was a Pacer.
    Compared to what? His team D was poor; he'd get lost in the schemes. But he defended in the post as well as anyone we had.

And, yes, he was chronically injured. In fact he missed 139 games over 4 years.
    And a big chunk of those were from stuff that doesn't count as "chronically injured." Two nasty concussions account for a lot, and didn't he break an arm or something? I'm not sure where to find the best NBA injury histories; if somebody gives me a link I'll go look them up.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think you are both partially correct. I think his work ethic got better but his biggest issue with his "attitude". Only time will tell is that has improved and if a fresh start is all he needs.