Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shawne Williams in the Summer League

Default Shawne Williams in the Summer League

Shawne played today in the summer league. He put up decent numbers, but I heard that the announcers were making fun of me him. Calling him lazy and seems like he doesnt have too much interest in the game He put up decent numbers though. In 20 mins, he score 13 points and shot 5/10 from the feild (and 1/2 from beyond the arch) and 2 steals. He also got 6 fouls...

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Shawne Williams in the Summer League

I think that the numbers should never be an issue in summer league. And maturity is hard to gauge in that enviroment.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that the numbers should never be an issue in summer league. And maturity is hard to gauge in that enviroment.
    i agree. Did anyone actually see the game? How did Shawne look out there? Did he really look lazy and not interested? With Hibbert and Rush not playing in the summer league, the only player that Im watching is really Shawne Williams

Well, kinda. The announcers started by repeatedly bagging on him, saying he'd be the next Pacer arrested, etc. Eventually, though, they looked up his list of heinous crimes and one said "Wait, all he's done is miss a court date? That's really not fair to him, then... he hasn't done anything to warrant that."

I missed the 4q, so I don't know if they started in again.

Worst announcers ever, though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    i agree. Did anyone actually see the game? How did Shawne look out there? Did he really look lazy and not interested?
    I didn't think so, but then it's hard to tell w/ that feed.

He was playing PF, though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I didn't think so, but then it's hard to tell w/ that feed.

He was playing PF, though.
    ya i noticed that too. I dont like him at PF (or Granger)...I think they'll be more effective at SF

is there anywhere we could look at highlights? I checked youtube, they didnt have anythign

ya i noticed that too. I dont like him at PF (or Granger)...I think they'll be more effective at SF
    If we can transition and develop Shawne into a PF and he works on his post-up game and rebounding, I'd be very happy.

I can't disagree with that.

But the team doesn't need 5 SFs. Shawne's going to need to play some PF if he wants minutes this year.

Or get moved to a team that needs a SF.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I can't disagree with that.

But the team doesn't need 5 SFs. Shawne's going to need to play some PF if he wants minutes this year.

Or get moved to a team that needs a SF.
    Or we could move someone like Dunleavy for a decent PF and move Shawne to the SF spot (if he shows improvement)

Shawne is not a PF...and it's doubtful it will ever be his natural position. It's probably time to ship him out.

I remember in the 90's (when we had good teams) our PF's could snap Shawne in half with one hand tied behind their backs. Even Derrick McKey was taller. Look who won the championship...AGAIN...a team with size (Kendrick Perkins and Kevin Garnett). Small ball does not work. Just ask Shaq and Timmy...

Or we could move someone like Dunleavy for a decent PF and move Shawne to the SF spot (if he shows improvement)
    Or we could move Dun for a PF... and then still move Shawne. Since Granger's already got the 3 spot locked down.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Or we could move Dun for a PF... and then still move Shawne. Since Granger's already got the 3 spot locked down.
    I really like that idea. We have the PG spot locked down, and probably well enough at C with Foster, Hibbert and Rasho. Brandon Rush, Graham and Quis can play SF in addition to Granger....so SF would still be covered. What we could use is a deadeye shooter (e.g. Mike Miller) and someone who can post-up. I suppose Hibbert can post-up, but who knows?

Edit: Dun is a pretty good shooter, so we are not doing that poorly. However, when he's in there he is not good at guarding the 2 spot. He's simply not quick enough....and Granger should be at SF. JMHO.

Edit: The more I think about the moves TPTB have taken, the more I like them. A perimeter shooter is what we needed and Rush is supposed to provide that. We also desperately needed a real man or two to help Foster in the middle. We got that done too. Kudos to them...
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 07-08-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Today the Pacers play the Bulls, and it will be interesting to see how Shawne does against Noah and Thomas. Both have NBA experience. He had best grab more than 3 rebs and not foul out.

Anyone know what time the game starts today?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I really like that idea. We have the PG spot locked down, and probably well enough at C with Foster, Hibbert and Rasho. Brandon Rush, Graham and Quis can play SF in addition to Granger....so SF would still be covered. What we could use is a deadeye shooter (e.g. Mike Miller) and someone who can post-up. I suppose Hibbert can post-up, but who knows?

Edit: Dun is a pretty good shooter, so we are not doing that poorly. However, when he's in there he is not good at guarding the 2 spot. He's simply not quick enough....and Granger should be at SF. JMHO.
    With Quis' contract having a team option next year, it should be easier to move him than Dun with his contract. My preferrence is keeping Dun this year, and then trading him next year when his contract becomes more easily tradeable. Right now Dun's the 2nd best scorer, and w/o knowing how any of the other new players are going to play I believe it's best to keep him. If other players step up where he can be traded, then he can be traded b4 the tradeline. I'd rather see Quis and Shawne traded b4 Dun. JMOAA

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    With Quis' contract having a team option next year, it should be easier to move him than Dun with his contract. My preferrence is keeping Dun this year, and then trading him next year when his contract becomes more easily tradeable. Right now Dun's the 2nd best scorer, and w/o knowing how any of the other new players are going to play I believe it's best to keep him. If other players step up where he can be traded, then he can be traded b4 the tradeline. I'd rather see Quis and Shawne traded b4 Dun. JMOAA
    I can see that. Quis is probably gone anyway. Also, I seriously doubt the Pacers are going to trade Dunleavy at this point. He has been too productive for them and the risk is too high. At some point though, they will need to move him...because both he and Granger are far better as SF's....and when Granger gets his payday we will have 30M going for the SF position. Now, if Rush really becomes the answer at SG, Dunleavy will have to go.

With all these talks of Shawne being traded...you guys have to remember that Bird came up publically and bashed his stock, stating that Shawne is on "thin ice"...by saying that, Bird only put Shawne's stock lower than it already is. No GM would come out publically and say that about on of their players and then try to trade him after...that just makes no sense for Bird to drop his stock and receive less

What I heard about Williams, from one of the radio stations (don't remember which one), was that he looked like he had trouble getting into the flow of the game until later, and by then he was already in foul trouble.

The bright spot of the game? Earl "The Pearl" Calloway. 16 points, 5-6 FG, 1-1 3PT, 5-6 FT, 7 Ast, 4 Reb, 4 TO. He mainly played opposite Westbrook.

Well, kinda. The announcers started by repeatedly bagging on him, saying he'd be the next Pacer arrested, etc. Eventually, though, they looked up his list of heinous crimes and one said "Wait, all he's done is miss a court date? That's really not fair to him, then... he hasn't done anything to warrant that."

I missed the 4q, so I don't know if they started in again.

Worst announcers ever, though.
    Yeah, they were bozos...but I imagine that's what me and my friends would sound like if we were mic'd up...(though with a few F-bombs dropped in). However, did you catch it when they were joking about OKC's name? On the sound check prior, they joked about switching from name to name to name. During the broadcast, they kept bouncing from Panthers to Outlaws to Ostriches...but two or three times, they said "Bombers". I don't think they got what they were saying, because they may have gotten it from one of the e-mailers, but, still...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Today the Pacers play the Bulls, and it will be interesting to see how Shawne does against Noah and Thomas. Both have NBA experience. He had best grab more than 3 rebs and not foul out.

Anyone know what time the game starts today?
    7-ish.

Back to Shawne...he played OK...took a spill early on a drive that was scary. If a guy like Shawne looks horrible (a la Jonathan Bender) I worry, but other than that, it's hard to take away a lot from the Summer League games. I think Shawne (and Stephen) were fine, but you've got too many people competing for jobs to get a real sense of how people will play once the real stuff starts. I mostly worry about guys getting hurt. That's why I'm not particularly heartbroken about the fact that Rush and Hibbert couldn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    What I heard about Williams, from one of the radio stations (don't remember which one), was that he looked like he had trouble getting into the flow of the game until later, and by then he was already in foul trouble.

The bright spot of the game? Earl "The Pearl" Calloway. 16 points, 5-6 FG, 1-1 3PT, 5-6 FT, 7 Ast, 4 Reb, 4 TO. He mainly played opposite Westbrook.
    We need to make a spot for Calloway. We are now officially stacked at PG...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

These games do have awful flow and it does seem to trip up even solid players. You want to see a player look smooth in whatever he does, you'd like to see some hustle plays, and you wouldn't mind seeing Shawne play with confidence.

But the strategy is typically a mess in these things so you can't really make good use of any actual NBA awareness. Artest played well in summer ball as a vet coming off suspension, but he didn't crush guys and go on a scoring rampage either.

It would help to know if a player was asked to specifically work on something with no regard to other aspects. Not unlike a spring training pitcher just trying to locate his fastball all game long for practice, even if he's getting shelled by not mixing it up.

Shawne with the team - he's a SF that swings more to PF than Danny does. He's a better defender than Dun. He's got the potential to be an equal 3pt threat. So ultimately he becomes your #2 SF and Dun needs to go in order to move your cash into the SG or true PF position...of course moving Troy would have this effect too, but you can't get equal value with him like you might with Dun right now.

It's not even a knock on Dun, it's the fact that he played well and raised his value back up that I'd like to see him moved now while you can. As said, when you extended Danny that's going to be a lot of cash going into the SF position.

With all these talks of Shawne being traded...you guys have to remember that Bird came up publically and bashed his stock, stating that Shawne is on "thin ice"...by saying that, Bird only put Shawne's stock lower than it already is. No GM would come out publically and say that about on of their players and then try to trade him after...that just makes no sense for Bird to drop his stock and receive less
    Williams value isn't that high to begin with, so what Bird said isn't going to hurt Williams' value as a filler on a trade. He's got 2 years of NBA under his belt, and he really hasn't done anything in those 2 years to make other GM's drool and fall over themselves to get him.

Bird said how he felt, now it's time for William's to mature and produce. If he doesn't, he knows he's history. He knows right up front what the score is. The ball is in Williams' court to stay a Pacer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Wait, all he's done is miss a court date? That's really not fair to him, then... he hasn't done anything to warrant that."
    I've been saying this for a long time now.

And Shawne shouldn't even be playing in the summer league.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I can see that. Quis is probably gone anyway. Also, I seriously doubt the Pacers are going to trade Dunleavy at this point. He has been too productive for them and the risk is too high. At some point though, they will need to move him...because both he and Granger are far better as SF's....and when Granger gets his payday we will have 30M going for the SF position. Now, if Rush really becomes the answer at SG, Dunleavy will have to go.
    You know, I really don't get the argument that Dunleavy is better at SF. The best statistical and productive year he's ever had came at shooting guard. There's not much reason to suspect he'd be that much better at the 3 spot.

Who were these announcers and who hired them? Sounds like they need to be replaced for lack of professionalism.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.