Thread: My Formula is Broke

Default My Formula is Broke

This Pistons team is really screwing me up. I thought I had it figured out.

To win an NBA title you needed:

1. A very good post game. Remember, the Bulls didn't start winning titles until Michael Jordan took his game into the block

2. A perimeter player who could flat-out break down defenses and get his own shot whenever he needed to

3. Defense. Not necessarily the best in the league but it had to be top ten. Even the Lakers in their title seasons, while their regular season D wasn't much, titghtened up in the postseason.

4. Solid role players

So here are the Pistons. They don't have 1. Rasheed can be and was last night but not usually.

They don't have 2. Rip and Chauncey can both make plays but they aren't in Kobe's or Michael's league.

They sure have 3. And they also have a whole team of 4's.

I need to re-think my formula.

They also have multiple scoring options which helps but I don't consider a requirement (see the Bulls, Lakers, Spurs - two-man teams all)

Have I mentioned that Larry Brown's defensive schemes have been brilliant?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re: My Formula is Broke

I think this just means you have to have a little of all 4, and a lot of any 2.

This Pistons team is really screwing me up. I thought I had it figured out.

To win an NBA title you needed:

1. A very good post game. Remember, the Bulls didn't start winning titles until Michael Jordan took his game into the block

2. A perimeter player who could flat-out break down defenses and get his own shot whenever he needed to

3. Defense. Not necessarily the best in the league but it had to be top ten. Even the Lakers in their title seasons, while their regular season D wasn't much, titghtened up in the postseason.

4. Solid role players

So here are the Pistons. They don't have 1. Rasheed can be and was last night but not usually.

They don't have 2. Rip and Chauncey can both make plays but they aren't in Kobe's or Michael's league.

They sure have 3. And they also have a whole team of 4's.

I need to re-think my formula.

They also have multiple scoring options which helps but I don't consider a requirement (see the Bulls, Lakers, Spurs - two-man teams all)

Have I mentioned that Larry Brown's defensive schemes have been brilliant?

I agree with your formula, but the Pistons are braking the mold.

In our defense, the rule changes of a few years ago, has changed the game. Now it is easier to defend against a great player

capaman

Well its all really about match ups, I mean New Jersey took Detroit to 7, It will be interesting to see if the Lakers can take Detroit to 6. Of course my point is....Do you really think NJ could have beat the Lakers in the finals at all?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A TREMENDOUS GROUP OF BASKETBALL PLAYERS CALLED THE DETROIT PISTONS.

AN INCREDIBLE TEAM.

I want to be the first to CONGRATULATE them.

GREAT JOB!

istons: =
    eak:

I'm scared.........

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Since when have the Lakers been a "team"? ed:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

so the pistons are plowing through the finals only because the west representative is so weak?

but of course the pistons did get through the pacers