Thread: News of the Odd: Magnum PC? The Rockford Boot Files?

Threaded View

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default News of the Odd: Magnum PC? The Rockford Boot Files?

She walked into my office and my life like a queen walks into a public bathroom...something smelled, and she didn't like it. That red dress stopped about the same height from the floor that my jaw dropped to...and the legs went as far up as my prices to fix a simple spyware infection....

New Computer Repair Law Affects Both Company Owners and Consumers
    Every repair technician in Texas must have private investigator's license
    Licenses are obtained with criminal justice degree or 3 year apprenticeship
    Violators can face up to a 4K fine and 1 year in jail

by Pelpina Trip, KDAF33 News at Nine Intern

June 26, 2008

A new Texas law requires every computer repair technician to obtain a private investigator's license. Violators can face a $4,000 fine and one year in jail, as well as a $10,000 civil penalty.

Unlicensed computer shops will have to close down until they obtain a private investigator's license.

A private investigator's license can be obtained by acquiring a criminal justice degree or by getting a three-year apprenticeship under a licensed private investigator.

The new law also impacts consumers. Consumers who knowingly take computers to an unlicensed company for repair can face the same penalties.

Many computer forensics companies in big cities like Dallas and Houston employ licensed investigators. They provide litigation support to large law firms. However, many independent repair companies in other areas do not have a license.

If small computer repair companies are not allowed to repair computers, rural residents may have to ship their computers for repairs at computer forensics companies.
    Copyright © 2008, KDAF
    Last edited by kester99; 07-01-2008 at 09:33 PM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!