Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foxsports.com Pacers Draft Report Card: D

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Foxsports.com Pacers Draft Report Card: D

Indiana Pacers

First round: Brandon Rush, G-F, 6-6, 210, Kansas (trade)
    First round: Roy Hibbert, C, 7-2, 280, Georgetown

Larry Legend did not start off his GM tenure in Indiana very well. Unloading Jermaine O'Neal and his 2-year $40-million deal was necessary, but he didn't get enough in return as T.J. Ford, like O'Neal, is injury prone and could be more trouble than he's worth. He also has yet to prove that he can be an elite-level point guard. Their draft philosophy makes sense for a team that's close to contending, adding Rush and Hibbert a couple of NBA ready players with not a lot of upside. Unfortunately the Pacers are in rebuilding mode and don't have the talent in place to make "solid" picks. Rush's career took a big turn for the worse when he was informed that he was being traded to Indiana instead of playing for Portland. The expectations and role that the Pacers have in mind for him will make it difficult for him to succeed. He is a defensive standout with solid shooting ability, but asking him to be more than that is asking for trouble. Taking Hibbert at 17 was also a mistake as he's limited athletically, and will be nothing more than a solid center. While these picks might look solid in a year, they likely won't appear so solid in 4-5 years when other players they could have taken (like Bayless and McGee) potentially become standouts. Grade: D.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8...ft-report-card

I really don't care too much for this assessment.

Default Re: Foxsports.com Pacers Draft Report Card: D

The Bird and the Pacers don't have 4-5 years to wait for "potentially" standouts.

This is why no one watches Foxnews or Foxsports...

Sports Logo

I agree his assessment is valid IF the Pacers are looking 2-3 years down the road.....but TPTB want to rebuild now while putting together a team that can compete and make a return to the LEastern Conference Playoffs.

It's possible that getting Bayless could have gotten us there as well....but I doubt that McGee would have gotten us anything other then having a Bench Warmer for the next 2 seasons.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Yeah isn't fox in general known to be a bad place for news of any kind. For example, "the weather today will be sunny and 90." .............Look outside, thunderstorm.

Is it possible to put a warning in the title to Shade to not open this thread?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Hate on Fox all you want (they certainly deserve it)...This assessment might be painfully correct in 18 months.

Mood

I do go to Fox for my NASCAR news and information before I go anywhere else, but they are always slow and not a very "fully-informational" source.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hate on Fox all you want (they certainly deserve it)...This assessment might be painfully correct in 18 months.
    Please explain.

It seems most draft assessments are either very positive or very negative. No gray area. Kinda like this board... So, it's obviously not very clear cut about how well the Pacers did. No one really knows for sure and we won't know until the season picks up.

But as JayRedd said, in 18 months this assessment could be painfully correct. Or it could be hilariously wrong.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Please explain.
    He means that there is nothing to say that Bayless/McGee don't turn into the next Arenas and Bynum with a full season under their belts and Rush/Hibbert only turns out to be okay...but not spectacular.

We don't know either way since none of the players have played a single minute in the NBA.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

ESPN had a tv/radio poll on which NBA team had the best draft night, including trades. We were first with 28% of the vote. The Nets were second with 25% of the vote.

It's hard to take it too seriously when it says we didn't get enough in return for JO. We didn't take on worse contracts and we setup some cap flexibility. We got another 1st round pick. Ford has insurance on his contract. We weren't getting a better deal than this.

JO carried a lot of baggage himself including his own injury history, a bio that will always include the "Brawl", a grande contract, and questions about his output vs that contract (or even 1/2 that contract).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It's hard to take it too seriously when it says we didn't get enough in return for JO. We didn't take on worse contracts and we setup some cap flexibility. We got another 1st round pick. Ford has insurance on his contract. We weren't getting a better deal than this.

JO carried a lot of baggage himself including his own injury history, a bio that will always include the "Brawl", a grande contract, and questions about his output vs that contract (or even 1/2 that contract).
    Yeah, we also have another insurance policy on TJ Ford at the moment...

Jarrett Jack

I remember seeing this the day after the draft. The main sports sites I check regularly (like ESPN, SI, Yahoo) all gave us very good grades, except Fox.

The only team with a worse grade than the Pacers on Fox was New Orleans, who sold their pick.

Let me recheck our grades...

ESPN: A
    FoxSports: D
    SI: B+
    Yahoo (Dwyer): 10 out of 10
    Yahoo (Draft Express): B+

ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...tGrades-080627
    Spoiler Spoiler:

SI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...des/index.html
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Yahoo (Dwyer): http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...?urn=nba,90778
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Yahoo (Draft Express): http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
    Spoiler Spoiler:

My guess is that the FoxSports guys were in the PD draft thread.
    Last edited by maragin; 06-30-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Trying to add spoiler tags

I tried to find this guys grades for last years draft... removed from his website!

As a Pacer fan I hope things turn out great. I'm not too upset at the picks because in a so-so draft I don't expect to get great players out of the 11th and 17th picks. I think Rush will be serviceable and Hibbert, well, there is always a place for big men. However, I don't share the optimism that we found our future starting SG and C for years to come. TJ is meh. While certainly better than Jack given price, attitude, and where we are at as a franchise I'd prefer to see Jack as our starter.

I think the excite, while certainly justifiable, is more about who isn't going to be in a Pacer uni rather than who is.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Indiana Pacers

First round: Brandon Rush, G-F, 6-6, 210, Kansas (trade)
    First round: Roy Hibbert, C, 7-2, 280, Georgetown

Larry Legend did not start off his GM tenure in Indiana very well. Unloading Jermaine O'Neal and his 2-year $40-million deal was necessary, but he didn't get enough in return as T.J. Ford, like O'Neal, is injury prone and could be more trouble than he's worth. He also has yet to prove that he can be an elite-level point guard. Their draft philosophy makes sense for a team that's close to contending, adding Rush and Hibbert a couple of NBA ready players with not a lot of upside. Unfortunately the Pacers are in rebuilding mode and don't have the talent in place to make "solid" picks. Rush's career took a big turn for the worse when he was informed that he was being traded to Indiana instead of playing for Portland. The expectations and role that the Pacers have in mind for him will make it difficult for him to succeed. He is a defensive standout with solid shooting ability, but asking him to be more than that is asking for trouble. Taking Hibbert at 17 was also a mistake as he's limited athletically, and will be nothing more than a solid center. While these picks might look solid in a year, they likely won't appear so solid in 4-5 years when other players they could have taken (like Bayless and McGee) potentially become standouts. Grade: D.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8...ft-report-card

I really don't care too much for this assessment.
    I am more than happy to criticize if it's warranted. It's not warranted.

Not sure how someone who is a defensive standout with solid shooting ability can be bad to add to the team...particularly the leading scorer on the national champion. Maybe he wants us to pick up a scrub with poor shooting ability...so the expectations are kept lower.

Also, he says Hibbert "will be nothing more than a solid center" so it was a mistake to pick him at #17. I will take a solid center at #17, thank you very much!

What is this guy thinking? Oh yes, he's not thinking at all.

Edit: One more thing. Unless JO had a miraculous recovery this season and we trade him one year from now, this is about the best deal we could get for him. It's hard enough to unload his fat contract when he's proven himself to be a part-time player with degrading abilities. Good luck getting a much better deal. Maybe we could have got Lebron...LOL.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 06-30-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I am more than happy to criticize if it's warranted. It's not warranted.

Not sure how someone who is a defensive standout with solid shooting ability can be bad to add to the team...particularly the leading scorer on the national champion. Maybe he wants us to pick up a scrub with poor shooting ability...so the expectations are kept lower.

Also, he says Hibbert "will be nothing more than a solid center" so it was a mistake to pick him at #17. I will take a solid center at #17, thank you very much!

What is this guy thinking? Oh yes, he's not thinking at all.

Edit: One more thing. Unless JO had a miraculous recovery this season and we trade him one year from now, this is about the best deal we could get for him. It's hard enough to unload his fat contract when he's proven himself to be a part-time player with degrading abilities. Good luck getting a much better deal. Maybe we could have got Lebron...LOL.
    This would have been great for the comments section on that page.

Most of those guys, however, do not know what they are talking about. BlueNGold, you would be out of place! We'll keep you here.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by microwave_oven View Post
    This is why no one watches Foxnews or Foxsports...
    LOL - you do realize how ridiculous this statement looks when the two have nothing to do with each other right?

Clearly the FOX Sports guys didn't assess the needs of the Pacers or what this does for their future in terms of cap room. For the first time in the past 5 years, I believe the P's are finally headed in the right direction. I could be wrong, but I think this FOX Sports report card could come back to bite them in the arse.

Mood

This is what is expected of Fox Sports.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I needed a good laugh. Honestly, I expected this kind of grade from Kravitz, but was shocked to see it not come from him.

As far as fox sports goes...pst
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

The "wayback" machine has an archive. So why not see how Aran Smith graded teams last year after the draft.

http://web.archive.org/web/200707031...tgrades001.asp

I would encourage you to review the grades on the Knicks,(A) Celtics (F)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    He means that there is nothing to say that Bayless/McGee don't turn into the next Arenas and Bynum with a full season under their belts and Rush/Hibbert only turns out to be okay...but not spectacular.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This is what is expected of Fox Sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I needed a good laugh. Honestly, I expected this kind of grade from Kravitz, but was shocked to see it not come from him.

As far as fox sports goes...pst
    I just had to post it since it had to do with the team. It steamed me a little, too...