Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy out of Tinsley's contract...best thing for the pacers to do ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question Buy out of Tinsley's contract...best thing for the pacers to do ?

so rumor has it the Pacers are going to buy out Tinsley's contact if we cant trade him. Is that the best thing to do ?

I hear New York is looking for a point guard...would donnie help us out by taking him ?
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-30-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Default Re: Buy out of Tinsley's contact...best thing for the pacers to do ?

I'm sure Donnie hates him as much as we do. Oh man, can you imagine the trouble he could get into in the Big Apple?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donnie won't take him.. He doesn't love us anymore.. He's now a Knick.

And.. I think a buyout would be a bad idea.. But if they seriously can't trade him for ANYTHING.. I'm not really sure what else they can do.. He is probably a cancer in the locker room.

Mood

yeah Donnie has crossed over to the dark side...the Knicks
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

if thats what it takes to get tinsley off the team and away from this franchise then yes it it.

The problem is, the Pacers have pretty much come out and said they will buy him out. Now every other team is just going to wait until that happens. They aren't going to take his horrible contract, and his alleged extra 30 lbs since the season ended, when they can pick him up as a free agent to a much more cap friendly deal after the Pacers cut him. And Donnie has already said that he doesn't want to take on any contracts that last longer than the 09-10 season because he wants to be a player in the Lebron sweepstakes. We'll probably pay Tinsley about $10 million just to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadR11 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'll probably pay Tinsley about $10 million just to go away.
    Are you kidding? That would be a no-brainer. If we buy him out, we'll pay Tinsley 23mil to go away.

I continue to think he's movable. The 30 pounds has to be a rumor... if he was going to start packing on the pounds he'd have started earlier, and he didn't look super heavy during the season.

I'd much rather not buy him out.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Are you kidding? That would be a no-brainer. If we buy him out, we'll pay Tinsley 23mil to go away.

I continue to think he's movable. The 30 pounds has to be a rumor... if he was going to start packing on the pounds he'd have started earlier, and he didn't look super heavy during the season.

Ya, that must be a rumor.. The only way its even close to being possible if he had been working out non stop, which is the exact opposite of what people think when they hear a guy gains 30 lbs... But unless he is on roids (actually wouldn't surprise me) then there is no way he gained that much so quickly.

Buying him out is far preferable to giving up somebody good along with him to offset his negative trade value.

the negatives: the buyout counts against the cap for the remainder of his existing contract, looks bad that you couldn't pull off some kind of deal somewhere, the ownership has to fork over a lot of cash at once, he can play for a rival at a very low salary and the Pacers can't control where he goes

positives: he's gone!, no need to take a bad salary in return along with giving up a good player (Shawne?), reduction in roster size is required

all in all, I'm fine with the buyout if ownership is fine with forking it over

There always some GM out there who thinks he can change any player into an all-star; I'd be surprised if one of them didn't deal for Tinsley.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How do you know he didn't start during the season? After all, it's not like he played or anything. And suits are pretty damn good at giving folks a slimmer appearance.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    There always some GM out there who thinks he can change any player into an all-star; I'd be surprised if one of them didn't deal for Tinsley.
    The difference is... Those GM's are not going to pay what is owed on Jamaal's contract to do that. After the buyout, a GM will probably look into doing what you speak of, but not a second before.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Ya, that must be a rumor.. The only way its even close to being possible if he had been working out non stop, which is the exact opposite of what people think when they hear a guy gains 30 lbs... But unless he is on roids (actually wouldn't surprise me) then there is no way he gained that much so quickly.
    I just read another thread where he's supposedly gained 40 pounds. It's fun to watch a rumor grow.

By the beginning of the season he'll be a candidate for stomach stapling.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I just read another thread where he's supposedly gained 40 pounds. It's fun to watch a rumor grow.

By the beginning of the season he'll be a candidate for stomach stapling.
    Pretty soon, Tinsley will also be 7'2" like Jon Bender.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Donnie won't take him.. He doesn't love us anymore.. He's now a Knick.

And.. I think a buyout would be a bad idea.. But if they seriously can't trade him for ANYTHING.. I'm not really sure what else they can do.. He is probably a cancer in the locker room.
    Why do you feel a buyout would be a bad idea?

I guess Mike Wells is spreading rumors, then. He said it on JMV recently. Since April, Tinsley has put on at least 20 pounds, according to Wells. That's why you didn't notice; our season was already over.

I would give up something good to get rid of his bad contract. Tin and Williams together is about 8m I believe. If there was someone out there that had a bad 1yr 8m contract.

If we bought out Tinsley and the buy out counts against the cap can we somehow use Tinsley bought out contract in a trade? ( I know stupid question)

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    I would give up something good to get rid of his bad contract. Tin and Williams together is about 8m I believe. If there was someone out there that had a bad 1yr 8m contract.
    There is no such thing as a bad 1yr 8m contract...especially when you are taking back $21 mil.

If the Kings were potentially interested....I would offer up Tinsley+$3mil in cash for Kenny Thomas. The $2mil in cash is to make the total Guaranteed $$ match ( Tinsley is owed $21 mil and Thomas is owed $17 mil ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    If we bought out Tinsley and the buy out counts against the cap can we somehow use Tinsley bought out contract in a trade? ( I know stupid question)
    I could be wrong...but I don't think so.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

No, a buyout is not the best thing...but it's not bad either.

The best realistic possibility is to unload him and take on a shorter contract. So, the first order of business is to find any team at all that would be even remotely interested in him...and just try to cut a year off the deal. Whatever they can do to save some money at this point IMO. If they can't save a year of his contract, no point in doing anything at all...

Mood

I'd prefer not a buyout myself. Surely if we add a sweetener in the deal like Shawne or Quis and his expiring someone will take the chance as long as we are taking a servicable PF in the process. Marion comes to mind the most for a good JOB fit.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I could be wrong...but I don't think so.
    Whats the difference then between a player who is bought out and a player who is retired. I seem to remember that a few retired players contracts were included in trades (Like the Pau Gasol deal).

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    not really a stupid question. but i'm pretty sure the answer is no. the buyout money counts against the cap, but the contractual obligation between tinsley and the pacers would have ended (i.e. he can sign with another team). so there's no contract to trade.

chadr11 is right though, now that other gm's now that the pacers are considering a tinsley buyout, they won't trade for him any more... unless they have problem contracts of their own that they want to ditch.

You really think we will pay him the full salary due?

Buyouts are usually somewhere between 50-75% of what's due.

If he has gained that much weight, then hopefully he can somehow be suspended and placed in the physically unable to perform category. Then the negotiations for a buyout can begin.

And, "I'd much rather not HAVE to buy him out." But if that's what it comes down to as camp progresses, then so be it.