Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is next to go this summer?

Default Who is next to go this summer?

Larry might be done, but I don't think so. So this is a bit of speculation on who would be traded next.

I think they will try to move Tinsley as soon as anyone bites, but there would have to be something to sweeten it. I look at our roster and the only guy I can see who would sweeten the deal is Shawne. He is cheap, with tons of potential.

I can also see him being packaged with Dunleavy Tinsley or Jeff, maybe Murph, but no one wants Murph's contract. It has to be one of the worst out there.

Now, this isn't neccesarily what I think we should do, I don't want them to give up on Shawne yet. I also think he could play the 4 for us very well if he keeps nose clean and gets a bit more experience.

A lineup of
    TJ
    Rush
    Granger
    Shawne
    Hibbert

Looks like a good young core to me. I also like our vets alot too, having Dun to help Rush along would be very nice. Having Jeff here as an anchor for Shawne and Hibbert. Murph isnt really that bad, its just he has the worst contract in the league pretty much, he can help the young guys along as well.

I just don't see anyone taking Junior, Murph or Tins without adding one of those guys or a few future 1st rounders or us taking back just as horrible contracts as we ship out.

I think I would rather just start with this group minus Tins, and give Shawne another chance this year.

Default Re: Who is next to go this summer?

I really hope he can package Jeff and Shawne with Tinsley to get him off the roster without a buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really hope he can package Jeff and Shawne with Tinsley to get him off the roster without a buyout.
    Yeah, but I think that is giving up an awful lot, of course it depends on who we can get back. But Shawne is tons of potential, and might be the best PF we could get in a few years.

Jeff is our anchor, and with all these new guys and kids, I think we are really gonna need him.

I can't really think of any guy we could reasonbly trade these guys for that I would rather have right now. No one is gonna trade a star for those guys.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd trade Tinsley for a donut at this point if that meant getting rid of him.

I would bet that Quis is the next to go.

I don't see us being able to unload JT...although we could probably throw in Shawne and someone might bite. It would be good to get rid of JT, Shawne and David Harrison this summer...I would be fine if we could get rid of two of them.

I would also like to see MDJ traded, but I doubt it. If baby Rush is good as advertised, Dun becomes immediately expendable. Maybe we could get quality for quantity somehow.

Until some of these new players show some worth, I would not trade Foster. He is still our best big until another man steps forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I would bet that Quis is the next to go.

I don't see us being able to unload JT...although we could probably throw in Shawne and someone might bite. It would be good to get rid of JT, Shawne and David Harrison this summer...I would be fine if we could get rid of two of them.

I would also like to see MDJ traded, but I doubt it. If baby Rush is good as advertised, Dun becomes immediately expendable. Maybe we could get quality for quantity somehow.

Until some of these new players show some worth, I would not trade Foster. He is still our best big until another man steps forward.
    I think that one of our swingmen has to go. I hope it will be Daniels, but who knows. To me there is no way to keep Danny, Shawn, Rush, Marquis, and Mike all happy with playing time. If we can somehow package one of them with one of our bigs to get a quality PF or package one with Tinsley to get out from under his contract it will only be a good thing. Surely, as an expiring contract Daniels has to have some value. It would be nice to keep him to get that cap relief here, but I have to think that he is the odd man out in that group as far as playing time.

I don't see Rush in our starting lineup, but that's besides the point. (I should note, you mentioned moving Dunleavy)

Guys I want here to start the season: Granger, Dunleavy, Foster, Ford, B. Rush, Nesto, Hibbert, Jack

Guys I wouldn't mind parting with as part of a deal: Diener, Williams, Murphy, Baston

Guys I'd be shopping heavily: Daniels, K. Rush, Murray, Graham, Owens

Guys I'd like to see shipped for any value at all: Harrison, Tinsley, McRoberts

The next guy to go might be one of our free agents, but I'd like to see us work a deal to strengthen our front court. My guess is either Marquis Daniels or Shawn Williams will be the next guy sent out via a front office move.

Quis or Williams.

My preferrence would be Quis. I don't really see a place for him on this team now.

I don't see any GM taking on Tinjury's contract or problems.

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    I don't see Rush in our starting lineup, but that's besides the point. (I should note, you mentioned moving Dunleavy)

Guys I want here to start the season: Granger, Dunleavy, Foster, Ford, B. Rush, Nesto, Hibbert, Jack

Guys I wouldn't mind parting with as part of a deal: Diener, Williams, Murphy, Baston

Guys I'd be shopping heavily: Daniels, K. Rush, Murray, Graham, Owens

Guys I'd like to see shipped for any value at all: Harrison, Tinsley, McRoberts

The next guy to go might be one of our free agents, but I'd like to see us work a deal to strengthen our front court. My guess is either Marquis Daniels or Shawn Williams will be the next guy sent out via a front office move.
    kareem rush, harrison, murray, and owens are all not on the team i believe

Figure out how to rid ourselves of Tinsley I would think. Can someone explain the cap implications if we just buy him out? I'd hate to have to give up a prospect just to get rid of him.

Then I'd probably look to get rid of Marquis. There won't be many minutes for him, and I think we'd be better off signing Kareem to another short contract to help his brothers transition to the NBA. I'd say he fits JOB's offense better also. Not sure if Kareem would be into it, but if so I would like to have him back.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLeeroy View Post
    Figure out how to rid ourselves of Tinsley I would think. Can someone explain the cap implications if we just buy him out? I'd hate to have to give up a prospect just to get rid of him.

Then I'd probably look to get rid of Marquis. There won't be many minutes for him, and I think we'd be better off signing Kareem to another short contract to help his brothers transition to the NBA. I'd say he fits JOB's offense better also. Not sure if Kareem would be into it, but if so I would like to have him back.
    I think that if Tinsley agrees to a buyout, the total amount is divided among the number of years remaining on his contract as far as the salary cap is concerned. So there would be only very, very minor benefit to the salary cap to buy him out as opposed to keeping him. Obviously, the benefit is he is not around to be a cancerous tumor to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post
    kareem rush, harrison, murray, and owens are all not on the team i believe
    A valid point, but I wanted to include everybody, even the FAs.

To my detriment, I didn't count Lorbek or da' Stank.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tinsley HAS to go, I dont really want to part with Jeff he would be great to have....but if it came down to a playoff team needing that final piece for their run...and we could make out on the trade for the better then i think id have to take it.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I'd trade Tinsley for a donut at this point if that meant getting rid of him.

I like this idea, I read a couple months back where a minor league (baseball) player was traded for 10 wooden baseball bats. Maybe we could trade Tinsley for something similar.

As of July 9th, the Pacers will have 16 players under contract (assuming they sign Hibbert and Rush):

PG: Ford, Jack, Diener, Tinsley
    SG: Dunleavy, B. Rush, Daniels
    SF: Granger, Williams, Graham
    PF: Murphy, McRoberts, Baston
    C: Rasho, Foster, Hibbert

I was under the impression that McRoberts had a one year deal with Portland last season, which makes me wonder if part of the deal with Portland is that he will sign another one year deal as part of the trade? I'm sure we'll hear more in the next few weeks.

With that said, Rush, Harrison, Owens and Murray are NOT under contract for next season and I question who, if any, of them would be back, especially given the Pacers salary cap right now.

I would expect Tinsley and Daniels to be the next to go. Daniels is in the last year of his deal and could be attractive to a team looking to shed salary and we might be able to get them to take Tinsley too.

I doubt the Pacers look to deal Foster as they just started a marketing campaign with him and he's in the last year of his deal too. Besides, the Pacers will be shedding about 26.5 million in salary after next season as Foster, Daniels, Rasho, Baston, Jack, McRoberts and Graham are all free agents. ***This will be partially off-set by Granger's extension.

My guess is that Larry may look for a two for one with Tinsley and Daniels. Otherwise, I could see Daniels being dealt and Tinsley simply bought out if no suitors are available.

Doesn't Harrison's contract end on Tuesday, July 1? He'll be the next to go. The Pacers would have to sign him in order to trade him, and they'd have to do it in the next day.

Or am I mistaken?
    Last edited by Putnam; 06-30-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

At this point, I don't believe the Pacers are concerned about the cap as it pertains to Tinsley.

He has to go, but they probably won't give up anyone that fits into their plans in order to get rid of him... not unless they can get another player in return that can fill a need.

And, they will try for a while to make that happen. So, I don't look for Tinsley to be gone until training camp, when the Pacers finally give up and just buy him out.

Seems like I read that they have a week to decide whether to retain Graham. So the verdict on him should be coming up very soon.

Beyond that, I would think that an offer will be extended to KRush and that a deal will be worked out involving Williams.
    Last edited by beast23; 06-28-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Foster is the last guy I want to see go. But he turns 32 this coming
    season. He's probably at a point where he's about as attractive to a
    playoff team as a missing, complimentary piece as he's ever going to
    get.

Unless he's interested in signing a 2-yr deal for less than he's making
    now to stick around in Indy and Bird wants to keep him for reasons
    beyond the court, I'll be pretty surprised if he's still here when
    next season ends.

It'd be fun to see him here to enjoy a revival in the next couple years.
    But it makes good sense to use his value to either help unload someone
    else or try and acquire a future 1st round pick.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I don't see any GM taking on Tinjury's contract or problems.
    People said the same thing about J.O. before the Toronto trade came along. I think someone will bite eventually. The problem is at what cost is the question.

Pacers already picked up the option on Graham 6 weeks ago per pacers.com:
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/graha...on_080512.html

Star obviously missed this before the article ran this morning.

Makes no sense to trade Foster or Quis unless we have to.

Both are expiring contracts who can be dealt at the deadline.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Makes no sense to trade Foster or Quis unless we have to.

Both are expiring contracts who can be dealt at the deadline.
    I think the expiring contracts or team options on players next summer that we don't have to pick up and that may be the biggest bargaining asset we have to make a trade next February.

Nesterovic 8.4M, Daniels 6.86M, Foster 5.5M, Baston 1.98M, Graham 0.83M, McRoberts 0.71M

That gives us over 24M in expiring contracts. That seems like a lot of flexibility to help acquire another decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster View Post
    People said the same thing about J.O. before the Toronto trade came along. I think someone will bite eventually. The problem is at what cost is the question.
    Just for fun.

Contract-wise, you move Tinsley the same way Toronto moved Ford. You trade a 3-year contract and a 1-year contract for a 2-year contract. Both sides can say they improved their cap situation.

Tinsley makes 6.75, Quis makes 6.8, Foster makes 5.5, and Rasho makes 8.4. Figure on Shawne as a throw-in. So you're looking at a possible range of 13.75 to 16.65 for the outgoing salary. That means an incoming package can be anywhere from 10.9 to 22.3mil.

A quick perusal of NBA salaries on ShamSports reveals the perfect candidate: Ben Wallace. Foster/Tinsley/Shawne for Ben Wallace and a future first. What do you think?

It would also work for:
    Erick Dampier - Probably not. Rick loves Foster, and Cubes might eat Tinsley's contract, but they need Damp.
    Marcus Camby+tiny filler - Nope. I wish.
    Al Harrington+tiny filler - Makes you wonder. If B-Diddy splits, this could be something to come back to. I'm not in love with Baby Al, but I like him better than Tinsley.
    Miller/Cardinal - Hard to say. Memphis doesn't need another PG, but they're all about the bottom line and this would save them money while netting a hometown prospect.
    Michael Redd - In my fantasy world
    Dalembert - Never a believer in Dalembert, but Philly doesn't do this.
    Shaq - Nope.
    Brad Miller - Dunno. They're pretty desperate for a PG... actually I have no idea what they're trying to do as a franchise.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-28-2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I'd do any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtrem Redneck View Post
    Now, this isn't neccesarily what I think we should do, I don't want them to give up on Shawne yet. I also think he could play the 4 for us very well if he keeps nose clean and gets a bit more experience.
    I think Shawne could easily be a 4. He scored on almost every postup he had last year. For a skinny guy, he really powers the ball to the basket.

Unfortunately, he seems to be gone. I don't see why we don't give him a chance, save Larry knowing something we don't.

Why else bring Perkins in as dir. of player development? Don't think Rush and Hibbert have a maturity issue.