Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Simmons annual post draft article - always a classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmons annual post draft article - always a classic

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/080626

Introducing the comedic stylings of the Lopez twins!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Bill Simmons
    Page 2

Hold on to your seats, it's time for Draft Diary XII! We're joined by ESPN's team of Stu Scott, Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson and Jay Bilas, four guys who might not have a ton of length, but they do have a high ceiling with loads of upside. Four highlights from the pre-draft show:

1. Andy Katz breathlessly reports Chicago will definitely take Derrick Rose first. Love when that happens. I can't wait for him to report later that Bill Simmons is going to wake up tomorrow, put on his glasses and make a pot of coffee.

2. Bilas praises Beasley for having "second jumpability." That's a great name for either a rock band or a fantasy team.

3. Dick Vitale's only concern with Beasley going to Miami is the "temptation of South Beach." Lemme tell you something ... if ESPN.com's "The Rookie" ever leads to a full-length documentary about Beasley's first season, I demand that it be called "The Temptation of South Beach." Repeat: I demand it.

4. Bilas calls Rose a "special, special talent," followed by Van Gundy calling Michael Beasley a "special talent" and Mark Jackson calling O.J. Mayo a "special basketball player," and then Bilas agreeing that Beasley is a "special talent." That's why Rose went ahead of Beasley and Mayo -- he's more than a special basketball player and a special talent, he's a special, special talent. Anyway, that was a special sequence.

When you see this photo from 1984, you realize we have spent 25 years with the Commish.
    4:31 p.m. PT: Stu introduces David Stern by reminding us it's our 25th straight draft with the Commish. Couldn't Stern have brought back his '84 mustache for old times sake? By the way, every time I see Stern in public now, I keep expecting him to point to a helicopter hovering above, like Sosa did to impress Tony in "Scarface," followed by the sight of a beaten-up Tim Donaghy being pushed out of the copter in midair.

4:33: Stu successfully uses the word "bevy."

4:37: Chicago takes Rose first, followed by the requisite super-awkward shot of the Bulls' war room applauding like someone just gave a bad best man's speech. Why don't the people in draft war rooms ever know how to properly celebrate a great pick? They're even worse at celebrating than PGA golfers and their caddies.

Meanwhile, Bilas tells us Rose is a "world-class athlete." For God's sake, let's hope so -- he's the first pick of the NBA draft. Does this mean Kosta Koufos is a North American-class athlete?

4:40: Our first glimpse of Stephen A. Smith, who has been given interview duties for the night. Frankly, I'm beside myself with excitement. We just learned that (A) Rose's nickname is "Pooh," and (B) Rose has a "Poohdini" tattoo on his shoulder.

4:41: My buddy House e-mails me to say, "I'm glad I put my Poohdini tattoo on my lower back."

4:42: Dramatic moment of the night: Stern announcing Miami's pick ... and ... it's ... Michael Beasley! Get ready, South Beach, here he comes! Stern greets him on stage with one of his patented, "Look, I might be smiling right now, but lemme tell you something, if I call you into my office at any point over the next 12 years, I will NOT be f------ smiling!" looks. He's the best. Smart pick by Miami. Beasley had the most value there.

Note: Poohdini tattoo not pictured.
    4:43: Bilas tells us Beasley "knows how to operate in a crowd." You mean, like Suge Knight knows how to operate in a crowd? I need more information. This seems like a good time to mention that ...

A. On the ESPN draft special Wednesday, Bilas compared Beasley to Derrick Coleman and Roy Tarpley in the same breath ... and meant it as a compliment.

B. Kansas State listed Beasley at 6-foot-10 all season, but Beasley measured a paltry 6-foot-7 at the pre-draft camps.

(And you wondered why Miami was desperately trying to shop the No. 2 pick all week. Can you ever feel totally safe with a guy who reminds draft experts of Coleman and Tarpley, fudges his height and openly admits he'd love to play in South Beach, even when he's putting up 24 and 11 every night? I say no.)

4:46: Doris Burke becomes the first announcer to provide color for a second-round NBA playoff game and a WNBA game and draw Mom Interview Duty during the NBA draft within a two-month span. You'll be telling your grandkids about that trifecta. You will.

4:48: Minnesota takes Ovinton J'Anthony Mayo at No. 3 as Bilas tells us Mayo is "NBA-ready." You mean, from a fertility standpoint? Nope, he means "ready to step in and play right away." Got it. Maybe Mayo was the most talented prospect available (note: I argued Mayo's strengths in my back-and-forth with Marissa Cooper's Dad on Tuesday), but poor Mayo and his entourage look like they're consoling each other at a wake right now. Bad sign.

Hey, did I tell you Mayo's nickname is "The Juice." So our No. 2 pick reminds Jay Bilas of Derrick Coleman and Roy Tarpley, our No. 3 pick goes by the same nickname as the most disgraced superstar of the past 40 years, and between them, they went to approximately 78 high schools in four years. I'm setting the over/under of "Beyond the Glory" episodes involving members of the 2008 draft class at 4.5.

4:50: Normally, Mayo is disarmingly winsome and charming in interviews, to the point that part of me wants to legally adopt him. (I wish I had thought of this 10 years ago.) Not right now, not when he's coming to the realization he will be spending the next five years shoveling snow in Minnesota. Even Stephen A. can't get a rise out of him. Is it too early to list O.J. as the top free agent of the summer of 2013?

4:52: In a video-phone interview, Pat Riley explains the Beasley pick by saying, "I don't think there was any question on our part, we love Michael." Well, except for when we brought in Mayo and Bayless at the last second to work them out. Where does Riley rank on the "Most Shameless and Prolific Liars of the Past Century" list? Top 20? Top 50?"

4:54: Andy Katz tells us Seattle is keeping the No. 4 pick. Unfortunately, Seattle isn't keeping its team. Anyway, the Sonics pull a minor shocker by taking Russell Westbrook. Loved his potential, loved him all season ... but even I can't defend that one. "Who would have thought last year at this time that Russell Westbrook would have been the fourth pick in this draft?" Bilas asks. Last year? What about last week? What about five minutes ago? How does Seattle pass on Kevin Love there?

4:58: I mean, you just knew the Sprite commercial where the basketball court turns into a pool was coming, didn't you?

Kevin Love to Memphis? Yes, it did make too much sense to be true.
    5:01 And now, the most exciting words in sports: "Chris Wallace is on the clock!" Anything's possible for Memphis here -- he could take Candace Parker and I wouldn't be surprised. I'm prepared for anything. Hold on, here's Stern ... and Memphis takes ... Kevin Love!

(Searching for an insult ...)

(Gulping ...)

Did Chris Wallace just make a good draft pick? I think he did! The Grizzlies have good point guards and athletes who can run the floor, now they have a great rebounder and outlet passer ... I mean, they have some stuff going. Plus, Bilas loves his "pick and popability." So there's that.

5:04: Say what you want about the Kevin Love pick, but it did lead to some old ABA and NBA highlights of his Dad, as well as our first Dad interview of the night! Before the draft, I put down $200 on the over of "2.5 Dad Interviews." Two more Dads to go. Come on.

5:05: Mark Jackson thinks the Knicks "should take the best available guy." I don't know, that seems pretty risky. Now the crowd is roaring ... Stern is stepping to the podium ... the tension is mounting ... and the pick is ... Danilo Gallinari, aka the Italian Guy ...

5:05: "Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!"

5:05: As much as I love that pick for New York, with the name "Danilo Gallinari," he sounds like a better bet to win a Formula One race than an NBA title. We're going to have to jump some major "weird-sounding name for a successful NBA player" hurdles here. I'm not saying it can't happen, just saying it's a red flag, that's all.

5:06: The Sports Gal's take: "Why did they boo him? He's really cute!"

5:06: More from the Sports Gal: "He played for Armani Jeans? Armani Jeans has its own team?"

5:07: Just made her leave. Meanwhile, 'Nilo is being interviewed by the one guy who can drown out the sound of booing Knicks fans, Mr. Stephen A. Smith. Come on, Knicks fans, how can you not like the Italian Guy? He sounds exactly like Arnold Schwarzenegger! I keep expecting him to yell at Stephen A., "Look out behind you!" or "Get down!"

5:11: Here come the Clippers at No. 7, ready to ruin yet another promising career. And the lucky loser is ... Eric Gordon! Logical pick. I can't say a bad thing about it. Right spot for him, right team, and I look forward to watching the hope get sucked out of him over these next few years.

5:12: This seems like a good time to mention that (A) Gordon is dressed like one of the waiters at Johnny Rockets, and (B) Stephen A. mistakenly thought he was a point guard before Gordon corrected him. Let's just move on.

5:15: Wendi Nix interviews new Knicks GM Donnie Walsh, one of those guys you find yourself staring at and trying to figure out how many cigarettes he has smoked over the past 40 years. (My guess: 85,450.) He's like a cross between Johnny Sack and Joe Pesci. I mean, of course he was going to take the Italian guy! "He's an unusual package," Walsh tells Nix about Gallinari, right before trying to smoke her right hand.

5:17: A Van Gundy/Jackson debate about the Knicks leads to Van Gundy saying, "I still think Stephon Marbury is a very, very good point guard." Sure, in Haiti.

5:18: Milwaukee takes Joe Alexander with the eighth pick, a good idea because Bilas thinks he's a "freak of an athlete" and has "freakish athleticism." And if that's not enough, he was born in Taiwan and speaks Mandarin. I like what I'm doing as the new Bucks GM -- I stole Richard Jefferson for a broken-down Bobby Simmons and the Chairman, Yi Jianlian, and I drafted a proven college player with freakish athleticism who speaks Mandarin and gives the state of Wisconsin a white guy to rally around. I'm 2-for-2! YES WE CAN!

(By the way, for what the Nets "got" in that trade, they should just buy out Simmons, then use the extra money to erect a 50-foot billboard across the street from LeBron's house that says, "We have loads of cap space in 2010!" with the Nets logo in the corner. Because that could be the only explanation.)

5:23: Just took a quick look through reader e-mails from the past hour and everyone seems to agree: We're all excited for the Gay-Love Era in Memphis.

5:24: Our first stunner of the night: Charlotte reaching for D.J. Augustin at No. 9, followed by a shot of a devastated Brook Lopez in the stands. Hey, any time you have a chance to grab a career backup with the ninth pick, you gotta do it.

(Do you think Charlotte's war room is located on the ninth hole at MJ's golf course? Like, it's basically him on his cell phone and two other guys on Treos trying to rush the pick in before they sneak in nine more holes? The Bobcats might be the worst-run franchise in the league. And that's saying something. If MJ's Bulls career was like Ted Danson's run on "Cheers," then his Wizards comeback was "Becker," and this current Bobcats debacle is definitely "Help Me Help You.")

5:26: Stu explains Augustin is only 5-foot-11, but he has the wingspan of someone who's 6-3½. Well, that changes everything! At the very least, he's wearing the most interesting outfit tonight: a gray suit with a purple shirt and a pink tie. That will be a good look for him when he's Charlotte's 13th man next season.

5:28: New Jersey happily and graciously takes Brook Lopez with the 10th pick. Brook? Not so happy. He's still reeling from the past seven picks.

(Come on, Brook, look at the bright side -- you get to kick Chairman Yi's butt in practice every day for the next five years, and if that's not enough, you can learn how to fake injuries from Vince Carter and become teammates with LeBron James in two years. Things are looking up, buddy.)

5:31: Best sequence of the night: Doris Burke's bizarre interview with Brook's twin brother, Robin, followed by Stephen A. attempting to interact with Brook and his Andre the Giant voice. I know the Lopez Brothers are 19, but couldn't MTV book their next birthday party for a special "My Super Sweet 16" episode? It would definitely take place at an amusement park, there would definitely be comic-book heroes on hand, and there's an outside chance the father of the Lopez brothers would be Wooderson from "Dazed and Confused."

5:34: I don't know how Jerryd Bayless just fell to the Pacers at No. 11, but it happened. Oh, wait, I know -- the Bobcats took a backup point guard at No. 9. That's right. This seems like a good time to mention Bayless is dressed like Mr. Roarke. Smiles, everyone, smiles! Except for O.J. Mayo and Brook Lopez, of course.

5:37: E-mail of the night so far, courtesy of Duke in Pasadena, Calif.: "After hearing that Joe Alexander was born in Taiwan, I'm really upset about the Nets trade. How sweet would it have been to have a native Chinese player on the same team with a "native" Taiwanese player? Who would have played the role of the U.S. on the Bucks? Would Alexander claim independence from Yi, only to have Yi go to team management and tell them that there'll be trouble if Alexander tries to move his locker away? This is a missed opportunity for a real-life sitcom ... and this would have never happened if you were the GM, Simmons." Hey, maybe there's still time. Can we get Alexander on the Nets somehow?

5:41: The Kings take Jason Thompson 12th, which would have been fine if this were the second round. Stern sums the pick up best: "Jason is not here." There's a 75 percent chance that the Maloofs made that pick after downing three bottles of Patron shots at the their VIP table at Rain.

5:46: Portland lucks into Brandon Rush at No. 13. Unbelievable. Perfect role player for the Blazers. They're like the anti-Hornets -- now that they know how to spend Paul Allen's money, they're unstoppable. Within about two more years, they'll be acting like one of those obnoxious Monopoly competitors who has more money and property than everyone else, giggles every time you land on their hotels and says things like, "Here's $200, will you roll the dice for me?" You can't blame them, but at the same time, you want to punch them in the face. That's where we're headed.

5:47: I don't mean to nitpick, but every time Van Gundy talks in the second person, ESPN should be throwing up a "Copyright: Hubie Brown, 1972" graphic.

5:49: Andy Katz tells us the Kings loved Thompson because "he was the best player they worked out." That's always smart -- ignore four years of his college games and concentrate on his two workouts. By the way, does anyone else enjoy the Andy Katz Experience in HD? He has the same delighted twinkle in his eyes that Bill Hader and Seth Rogan had in "Superbad" when they were letting McLovin' drink beers and use one of their guns.

5:50: Anthony Randolph goes at No. 14 to the Warriors, keeping their streak of "athletic, super-raw lefty power forwards who might not pan out for a couple of years" alive. "He's painfully thin," Bilas tells us. Somebody needs to show him a picture of Kate Bosworth.

5:56: Well, folks, we just made history -- Dick Vitale broke his own personal record and talked uninterrupted for 164 seconds straight. Also, my cable box just caught fire.

5:57: Robin Lopez to Phoenix. Logical pick for the Suns. Like it. They needed an energy/rebounding guy, as well as someone with crazy hair who would laugh at Shaq's jokes. We're now down to exactly three-and-a-half guys on the board who will definitely play in an NBA nine-man rotation some day: Roy Hibbert, Darrell Arthur, Chris Douglas-Roberts and maybe Mario Chalmers.

Thanks to Robin Lopez for spicing up the middle of the night.
    5:59: There's comedy, there's high comedy, there's transcendent comedy, and then there's Robin Lopez giving an interview with an undersized Suns hat stuffed on top of his Anderson Varejao-esque permfro. In the words of Jim Nantz, what a moment! I never thought anyone would top Oscar Gamble's 1976 Topps card, but that came damned close. The Robin Lopez Era is only two minutes long and I'm already loving it. We're headed for great things.

6:02: Marreese Speights goes No. 16 (to Philly) and gets the dreaded "Must improve: Conditioning" graphic. Get that man a treadmill.

6:07: Ladies and gentleman, the luckiest man on the planet, the Basketball Jesus, Mr. Larry Bird! With the No. 11 and 17 picks, he somehow just landed a top-eight guy (Bayless) and a top-12 guy (Hibbert). Crazy.

6:11: Really funny Brook Lopez during-the-draft montage. I am ready to change my name to Lopez at this point. Can we rent them for parties? Also, Washington picked JaVale McGee with No. 18 -- according to Stu, he's the first son of a WNBA player to get picked in the first round of the NBA draft. I wouldn't want to be his ACLs right now.

(Important note: I had 27 better jokes than the one you just read, including one that included the words "turkey baster." Sadly, only the one above could run. Alas.)

6:14: Our first draft-night deal: The Pacers agree to trade Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu to the Blazers for Brandon Rush, Josh McRoberts and Jarrett Jack. (Look, I can't blaspheme Larry Legend -- it's just not in me -- so we'll have to rely on this e-mail that came 15 minutes later from Jay in Indy: "A lifelong Pacers fan, I just watched Larry Bird give away a miracle pick at 11 for Brandon Rush and a bag of peanuts. Was there ever a moment in your life when you lost complete and utter hope of your favorite team doing anything with a shred of competence? Is there some place I can go to get help?") Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speed bag. Meanwhile, Katz scores an interview with a rattled Rush, who forgot to take off his Blazers hat and has a "Man, this sucks, I was excited to play video games with Greg Oden" look on his face. Weirdest moment of the night that didn't involve a Lopez brother.

6:19: We might get through the night without a single argument among Van Gundy, Jackson and Bilas. These guys make "Tirico and Van Pelt" seem combative and hostile by comparison. Meanwhile, Cleveland selects J.J. Hickson with the 19th pick. Great porn name! It's almost like they're trying to drive LeBron away at this point.

Poor Darrell Arthur had to follow in Rashard Lewis' footsteps.
    6:23: The bad news for Darrell Arthur? Nobody picked him yet. The good news? He won two awards Thursday night: The Rashard Lewis Memorial "Last Guy In The Green Room" Award, as well as the Deron Williams Award, given annually to the rookie who spells his name one way but pronounces it another way.

6:25: Charlotte takes French center Alexis Ajinca, quickly followed by Fran Fraschilla getting yanked away from the men's room to give his thoughts. You're not gonna believe this, but Fran likes Ajinca's 7-foot-8 wingspan. That leads to the new best e-mail of the night, from Jon in Maine: "Since when did Nathan Lane become an expert on international basketball?"

6:29: Katz interviews a somber Bayless, who's still wearing a Pacers hat. We might have broken the record for most somber/rattled/depressed/devastated first-round picks this year. Right after that, New Jersey takes my second-round sleeper, Ryan Anderson. Unfortunately, the Nets took him at No. 21. But still ... I'd like to put $500 down on Brook Lopez and Anderson becoming good friends and possibly seeing a few movies together.

6:38: Orlando nabs underrated gunner Courtney Lee at 22. I like that pick. He might make it, or he might have a storied career in Belgium. Either way, something will happen. Meanwhile, between Robin Lopez, Brook Lopez, Alexis Ajinca and Courtney Lee, it's hard to tell if this is the NBA draft or the roll call for the 2009 S.I. swimsuit issue. Let's waive the six-month waiting period and stick all four of them on the Lindsey Hunter All-Stars right now.

6:39: If I were Stu Scott, my first question to Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe (on video-phone right now) would either be, "Kiki, how the hell did you get a job again after you drafted Nikoloz Tskitishvili over Amare Stoudemire and paid Kenyon Martin $91 million?" or "When you traded the best player on your team for Chairman Yi and a washed-up Bobby Simmons, were you proactively trying to get your fans to riot?"

6:42: Well, Kosta Koufos was sitting there at No. 23 in his unadulterated, clumsy Caucasian glory and Utah jumped all over him. You'll see Spencer and Heidi turn down a staged photo opportunity before you see the Jazz pass up a stiff center, especially if he's a white stiff center. That would have been the least surprising sports moment of the week if we didn't have "Dodgers place Scott Proctor (elbow) on DL" Wednesday.

(Note: I'm still reeling from the fact that I didn't know Kosta was American. That might have been enough of a ***** to single-handedly swing Mock Draft Showdown II to Chad Ford earlier this week, a tougher loss for me than "Giants 17, Patriots 14." By the way, is Koufos even good enough to be the namesake for the Kosta Koufos All-Stars for American athletes who sound like they're foreign? Should we even dignify his career that way? I say no.)

6:49: True or false: Serge Ibaka is (A) a famous celebrity trainer, (B) an acclaimed indie director, (C) a famous celebrity photographer, (D) a third-world dictator, or (E) the 24th pick of the 2008 NBA draft?

Time! Seattle just took him because he was the best guy from Congo still on its board. That leads to this sequence: Fran Fraschilla telling us he likes this pick "three or four years from now"; Stu Scott telling us Serge has 17 siblings; and Jeff Van Gundy seeing Serge's "Must Improve: Experience" graphic and wondering, "How do you improve experience?"

6:54: Depressing interview with Darrell Arthur, followed by an entertaining interview between Jeff Van Gundy and his brother, Ron Jeremy, then Houston taking "The French Guy With a Heart Problem," or as he's known in other circles, Nicolas Batum. For a boring draft, there's sure a lot happening. I can barely keep up.

6:58: Wendi Nix interviews Mike D'Antoni, who's wearing a bright orange shirt and one of those "Come on, you can't blame me, they offered a crapload of money" looks on his face. This seems like a good time to mention, during the week in New Orleans leading up to Super Bowl XXXVI, my buddy J-Bug hit on her at Pat O'Brien's and she threw his game like a young Dikembe Mutombo. I think she even gave him the finger wag afterward. I've been meaning to put this in a column for six years. There you go.

7:01: San Antonio takes George Hill from IUPUI. Not only do I know nothing about him, I don't even know what the acronym "IUPUI" stands for. On the bright side, I just realized the world champion Boston Celtics are four picks away and Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur and Chris Douglas-Roberts are still on the board. Time to call my Dad to see if he's excited.

7:02: Dad's take: "I fell asleep. What pick is it?" Well, then.

7:08: Darrell Arthur and his kidneys go 27th to the Blazers, drawing a huge cheer from the crowd and a gushing monologue about the kindness of New York fans from Stu. I'll spare you the resulting debate about the rumors of Arthur's kidney problems causing him to slip out of the lottery. Should we really worry about Darrell Arthur's kidneys when we just sent Michael Beasley's liver to South Beach?

7:13: With the 28th pick acquired from Los Angeles, Memphis takes Donte Greene, followed by Bilas saying, "He's got a lot of tools, he just needs to find the key to the toolbox." The Pau Gasol trade just gets better and better, doesn't it?

By the way, I'm torn on DeAndre Jordan for the Celtics at No. 30 -- a lottery talent with no heart at all, but someone who might be redeemed by going to Kevin Garnett College and getting a double major in woofing and chest-pounding. He's like the gift nobody wants to end up with in a $25 Yankee Christmas swap: A potential keeper until you realize you also have to pay for $20 worth of batteries to make the gift work, so you're better off just passing it to someone else. Did that even make sense? I feel like that made sense. I need to wrap this up soon.

7:20: Detroit spruces up its D-League team with D.J. White at No. 29. He could end up being the Mel Daniels of the D-League before everything's said and done. Please, Lord, let the Celtics take Chalmers or Douglas-Roberts to finish off the luckiest year in Celtics history? Please.

7:23: Stu inadvertently mentions Isiah Thomas, followed by the crowd lustily booing. Let's hope that becomes a yearly tradition.

7:30: You know, David Stern makes me mad sometimes. He screwed the Celtics by making them keep Reggie Lewis on their cap for three years when the poor guy was dead; he nearly screwed them over by not annulling the Gasol trade; and now, he didn't even give us the satisfaction of hearing him say, "With the 30th pick of the 2008 NBA draft, the WORLD CHAMPION Boston Celtics take?" Nope, he just said, "Boston Celtics." I'm done with you, Stern. That's the final straw. I'm throwing my support behind Adam Silver in the November election.

Anyway, the world champs took New Mexico scorer J.R. Giddens, one of those guys who bounced around and even draws "difficult to deal with" and "he's had some issues" comments from Bilas. So much for Ubuntu. That led to the following exchange with my confused Dad:

Dad: "When they showed the [Giddens] highlights, he reminded me of Gerald Green."

Me: "That's not a good thing?"

Dad: "No. I also don't like that he's difficult to deal with."

Me: "Well, maybe he'll be good -- I mean, you can't question Danny Ainge, the architect for the 2008 world champion Boston Celtics!"

Dad (suddenly happy): "Yeah, you're right."

Ladies and gentleman, your 2008 world champion Boston Celtics!

(I mean, somebody had to say it tonight. Right?)

Bill Simmons is a columnist for Page 2 and ESPN The Magazine. For every Simmons column, as well as podcasts, videos, favorite links and more, check out the revamped Sports Guy's World.

Re: Simmons annual post draft article - always a classic

Well, since nobody else has commented yet,

Wow! That sure is one lonnng post!

Great read though - thanks UB

Comment

Relevant points:

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
      5:34: I don't know how Jerryd Bayless just fell to the Pacers at No. 11, but it happened. Oh, wait, I know -- the Bobcats took a backup point guard at No. 9. That's right. This seems like a good time to mention Bayless is dressed like Mr. Roarke. Smiles, everyone, smiles! Except for O.J. Mayo and Brook Lopez, of course.

6:07: Ladies and gentleman, the luckiest man on the planet, the Basketball Jesus, Mr. Larry Bird! With the No. 11 and 17 picks, he somehow just landed a top-eight guy (Bayless) and a top-12 guy (Hibbert). Crazy.

6:14: Our first draft-night deal: The Pacers agree to trade Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu to the Blazers for Brandon Rush, Josh McRoberts and Jarrett Jack. (Look, I can't blaspheme Larry Legend -- it's just not in me -- so we'll have to rely on this e-mail that came 15 minutes later from Jay in Indy: "A lifelong Pacers fan, I just watched Larry Bird give away a miracle pick at 11 for Brandon Rush and a bag of peanuts. Was there ever a moment in your life when you lost complete and utter hope of your favorite team doing anything with a shred of competence? Is there some place I can go to get help?") Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speed bag. Meanwhile, Katz scores an interview with a rattled Rush, who forgot to take off his Blazers hat and has a "Man, this sucks, I was excited to play video games with Greg Oden" look on his face. Weirdest moment of the night that didn't involve a Lopez brother.
      Yeah. I'm the crazy one for thinking we made a bad trade.
      This space for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthem View Post
        Relevant points:

Who has called you crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthem View Post
          Relevant points:

You win the debate because of an email Simmons posted?

Comment

Was that JayRedd sending an email to Bill Simmons about the trade?
            Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

A lifelong Pacers fan, I just watched Larry Bird give away a miracle pick at 11 for Brandon Rush and a bag of peanuts. Was there ever a moment in your life when you lost complete and utter hope of your favorite team doing anything with a shred of competence? Is there some place I can go to get help?

I didn't send the e-mail, but this was my exact thought-process after I heard about the trade.

Comment

5:06: The Sports Gal's take: "Why did they boo him? He's really cute!"

5:06: More from the Sports Gal: "He played for Armani Jeans? Armani Jeans has its own team?"

5:07: Just made her leave.
                I thought that was pretty funny, I said the exact same thing. "Armani Jean's has its own team?"
                "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG" - Carol "The Walking Dead"

Comment

Nope.
                  Read my Pacers blog:
                  8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

That was my original reaction too, but then I thought about it for awhile and let the shock wear off and we made a good deal that improves us now and in the future.

Comment

Also...This post roundtable is much better.

http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2008/0...dialogues.html
                      Read my Pacers blog:
                      8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

Carter Blanchard: Is he shouting more because of the booing or because he thinks foreigners only understand retard-speak?

By the way, I'm starting to see a pattern here. The same people that *****ed about the Stanko pick are lamenting our Bayless-Rush trade this year. Didn't they learn their lesson?

Comment

My favorite two:

Billups: Come on McHale. Trade the pick to Ainge for Scalabrine and tickets to Ice-T and Body Count reunion show at the [Boston club] Middle East.
                          Krolik: I'm rooting for Love to get some serious ink work before his rookie contract is up
                          Read my Pacers blog:
                          8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Comment

Working...
                          X