Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

Default Re: Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Kareem is willing to be our third string SG and take a back-seat to his younger brother, I'd love to have him back. Do you know how much Kareem would make his younger bro? I don't know if any if you guys have siblings, but playing against my older brother, made me a lot better. If anyone knows Kareem's weaknesses, it's his brothers. The drive to be better, and the fact that he'll be battling his brother in practice could really accelerate Brandon's learning curve. It would be like Granger and Artest battling in practice, except these two know each other much better.

We should get rid of Marquis Daniels.
    In regards to playing with your brother......I averaged 18 per game when i was a junior and my bro was a senior. When he left, I dropped to 14 per game. I ended up playing for Purdues womens practice squad, but it was fun. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Brandon Rush is in the Paul Pierce/Mike Finley slow-release club. These are the type of players who really need to step in and got through his whole motion to be uber-effective and accurate from deep. Pierce especially is just deadly when he's open and can do his whole catch/gather/dip/step/stroke routine as he's shooting. These guys shoot from "below the hip" and have a long motion, using everything from toe to fingertip.

These guys are in stark contrast to Michael Redd, Gilbert or Nash -- all of which can fire about as fast as humanly possible and start their motion "above the shoulder." Redd especially is unreal. He's the modern Doc Holiday and other than maybe Dell Curry, Drazen and Dale Ellis, I can't really think of anyone quicker. Reggie, Mitch Richmond and Ray Ray are all absurd too.

Luckilly, JO'B's system gets a lot of wide open looks, so his slightly slower loading time shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is whether he has true NBA range. He was very effective from 3 in college, and seemed capable of drilling em a few feet back, but it's really a crap shoot as to who might struggle with the transition and who won't.
    I read somewhere yesterday that his release was quick because he was already bending his knees for the shot before he caught the ball. It said a lot of other players have to gather themselves and square up and he doesn't.

Brandon Rush is in the Paul Pierce/Mike Finley slow-release club. These are the type of players who really need to step in and got through his whole motion to be uber-effective and accurate from deep. Pierce especially is just deadly when he's open and can do his whole catch/gather/dip/step/stroke routine as he's shooting. These guys shoot from "below the hip" and have a long motion, using everything from toe to fingertip.
    That's exactly what I saw. Admittedly I haven't seen Rush a lot but a video I watched the other day I saw him catch the ball, bring it to just above his bellybutton, and it stayed rather low while he elevated and only then came up. Plus the final release was more in front of him them straight up and high. Solid form, if you have time, but I sort of groaned "oh man, one of those..." because I could see how a defender could be a couple steps off and anticipate in time to get a piece of it if they were athletic enough. They'd have to be able to sky though. But in the NBA they are there...

I also was thinking that if he brings the ball there (waist/belly high) just to think about whether he has room to go up for a shot some savvy and quick defenders may strip the ball. I always like a higher ball position.

But actually I'm not worried. I have a feeling if Rush needs to improve his technique in those areas, he will. He just hasn't needed to since he hasn't yet been playing against NBA talent most games.
    Last edited by OpenWheel; 06-28-2008 at 05:08 AM.

It's really no big deal.

Some guys just have longer motions. And most, if they're gonna be good pros, shorten them up or quicken them as the situation calls for it. Even Peja and Redd take plenty of time and exaggerate their motion and dip a little lower in the cases where they find themselves wide-open. And you'll notice that when they do that, they are about 70% from three.

And it's not like Paul Pierce has ever failed to have the time to get off a shot. Finley either. Neither is quite the dead-eye of the quicker guys I'm talking about, but they really only use their very long shot when wide-open too. When there's a defender close, they rush a little, quicken up and get it off fine -- Sure, their percentage drops a little bit, but whose doesn't when they're closely guarded? But with Paul (maybe Finley...I'm just more familiar with Paul), I think it might actually help him take better shots. You really shouldn't be shooting closely guarded threes no matter who you are (save the very few Pejas, Redds, Reggies and Ray Rays) so I think it has sort of psychologically taught him to only take more open threes as he's gotten older.

That's not a bad think for Brandon...especially in his rookie year. Learning what is and what is not a good jump shot to take is one of the most important parts of playing in the NBA with its 24 shot clock. And I'm not just talking about not forcing bad shots...It hurts your team maybe even more when young players pass up good open shots since that look is probably the only good one the offense will see in the 15 seconds it has the ball in the front court.

This response got a little longer than expected...But bottom line is that how long you shot takes isn't really significant. It's just different.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 06-28-2008 at 02:21 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I've seen him play a lot in college.
    The best word describing his college play would be "efficiency".

He always seems doing the right things on both end of the floors. He never forces on the offense. If he is open he will knock the 3 consistently. If he is not open, he usually makes a very quick side pass or passes to the post. He is very unselfish player.

Especially his ballhandling and decision making skills improved quite a bit later in his college career. When he sees a space, (and/or smaller/slower defender) he will take it to the hoop. It doesn't happen very often though. When his teams needs him in the offense, he steps up, other than that he sticks to the gameplan (which was inside scoring in Kansas) He still needs to work on his ballhandling. When he drives, he is not very quick with the ball. Off the ball, he is smart and uses the screens efficiently. He understands the game and plays team basketball. He is also very quick at fastbreaks...

He has a very good wingspan for his position. He improved his defense a lot and became an elite perimeter defender on the college level. Considering his wingspan, I think he can be a Josh Howard type of defender.

He is already 23 but I think he can still improve and elevate his game. I ranked him as the 8th best player in the draft and I believe he will be very solid. I've heard that people compares him to Eddie Jones and it seems like a fair comparasion. My only concern is he is more of a 3 than a 2. Actually he seems like a very natural 3 so I can only hope that he will adapt his play to the shooting guard position.

This was posted in draftexpress forums a year ago:

Quote Originally Posted by ecuhus View Post
    I'm "biggin'" up Brandon Rush this morning.

He's a two-time All-Big-XII 1st-teamer and has all the tools to be a starting NBA SG. His 6'6.5", 210lb size coupled with his 6'11 wingspan and outstanding leaping ability give him a formidable presence on both sides of the ball. He held Nick Young AND Jared Dudley to their worst performances of the year, and locked down Corey Brewer and Richard Roby, too. Say what you want about Durant; the truth is this. In the two games he played KU, Julian Wright guarded him in the 1st half; if memory serves, he scored 25 in the 1st half of both games. Rush was on him in the 2nd halves of both games, where he scored 7 and 12 points.

Misconception #1: He shot an awful % once defenses realized he needed to be guarded this year - It's true that his %'s dipped from last year, and he's admitted that the added pressure of being a 1st-Team Pre-Season All-American put an even bigger target on his back. But shooting 44% from the field and 43% from 3-point land is nothing to sneeze at. And if you look more closely, he did'nt really suffer from the "sophomore slump"; quite the opposite. Offensively, his first few games were lukewarm, capped off by a rock-bottom performance @ Depaul. After that point, his numbers were back to his normal productivity, and in the NCAA tournament, he spearheaded the Jayhawk attack to the Elite Eight with 62%FG and 9/11 (82%!) from 3-point land.

Misconception #2: He's not really a good rebounder, he's just on a sucky rebounding team - Well, considering KU was 2nd in the nation in rebounds, and 6th in rebounding average, we can all consider this argument rubbish. They didn't have any one double-digit carom-crazy guy, but everyone was solid at cleaning the glass. As any scout can tell you, rebounding outside of your footprint is a key indication of how well you will rebound in the NBAm something that Rush does EXTREMELY well. He's far and away the best rebounding guard in this year's draft, a fact that goes often overlooked, but is a hallmark of many winning teams.

I hope this sheds some light on one of the more promising recruits i nthis year's draft.

Three write-ups on Brandon I found

First one is from the Lakes forum
    http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=1775766

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@LG
    11. *Portland Jerryd Bayless 6-3 204 SG Ariz. Fr.
    Jerryd Bayless 6' 1.75" 6' 3" 204 6' 3.5" 8' 1" 4.7 31 38 10 11.26 3.07 NA 4

Don't ask for D or playmaking. He's a straight up 1 on 1 gunner. Utilizes footspeed and dribble to create space like Iverson, for a pull up J. Not a standstill type gunner like Eddie House. Got drafted right where should have. When he's on, he can have defenses on their heels.

13. *Indiana Brandon Rush 6-6 210 SF Kansas Jr.
    Brandon Rush - 2005 6' 5" 6' 6.5" 211 6' 11.25" 8' 8.5"

Easily one of my favorite players of the draft. James Posey with Battier-like hoop IQ and Odom-like unselfishness. Weak handle. Great 3pt. spot up shooter. Not a one-on-one player. Defends 4 positions at the NCAA level, should be 2 positions at the NBA level. I'd place him at SG despite the weak handle, just for the spot up shooting and off-the-ball movement. Great 2-way player who could use some strength and would fit in very well with 2 primary options ahead of him.
    Second one is from CollegeHoops from last years draft. They had him as the top shooting guard in 07 (ahead of Corey Brewer).
    http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/b..._analysis40815

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Siegel
    1) Brandon Rush - Kansas - Yesterday, I wrote how Mike Conley blew through my weak expectations of him. Rush is basically just the opposite. I thought this kid was going to be a superstar. Yet, here I am putting him atop the shooting guard list.. am I just being suckered in again? Perhaps. I know a pair of seasons around 14 ppg wont blow anybody away, and the fact he slightly dropped in fg, 3-pt, and ft %'s wont help either. But there's still something about this kid's game that oozes quality. At 6-6, he's got an ideal body for an off guard, has a consistent and good looking jumper, and range from downtown. I know he has flaws.. not the best defender (though I think he'll be fine in this respect), a lack of ability to create shots and get into the lane, and has never proven to be a go-to clutch player. But I'm only comparing him to the other guys on this list. Rush is no NBA all-star, but he's one of only two guys (along with Brewer) who could be a consistent NBA starter. It will come down to work-ethic and motivation.
    Third one is from cleaveland.com. Not much here, other than he was the 2nd rated SG behind Mayo.
    http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/200...on_for_nb.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Schmitt Boyer
    2. Brandon Rush, 6-6, 210, junior, Kansas, 22

Third time he has been an early entry candidate for the draft. First Kansas freshman in history to lead the Jayhawks in scoring (13.5 points per game) and rebounding (5.9 per game).
    Pacers!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brandon's spot-up jumpshot form reminds me of Allan Houston back in the day. They are even extremely similar in build, both being 6-6 or 6-7 and 205-210 lbs. Similar build. They were both drafted in the 11-13 range.

Similarities aside, Brandon also seems to have an impressive above-the-rim game to compliment his offense. He seems more than adequate in the transition game, whether it's finishing or finding the teammate in the best position to score.

He seems to have a head for rebounding, which can't hurt. His passing and handling don't look near as bad as you might read... he's a SG, not a PG. His handle seems adequate enough, although I certainly wouldn't reject improvement in that category.

He just seems to have a very well-rounded game for the SG position. The more I read and watch this guy, the better I feel about the trade to get him. Bayless was intriguing especially when you watch his dunk high-light reels... but I get the impression Bayless has as many mental shortcomings as he does physical blessings. You get little indication of his fundamentals or his ability to work within an offense... more of a 1-on-1 player... you get the impression he's immature. His team didn't have a good record, and were ousted in the 1st round. Most of his highlights are Bayless himself operating by himself, going 1-on-4. He's not much of an offense orchestrator --- he's just a scorer at the PG position. It's not something I want for the Pacers. I pretty much just described Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis. Those types of players don't usually translate into post-season success. I get the feeling there was a reason he slid to #11 after being projected as a top 5 by a lot of people. I would not be surprised though if Bayless makes an earlier splash in the NBA than Rush, much like Tinsley did in his rookie season. I think long-term, however, Rush will prove to be the better player. I think Rush is the better player now, to be honest...

Rush seems like a professional and he seems mature in his interviews. He's well-versed, seems confident. Rush is more athletic than his brother Kareem, Reggie, and Allan Houston, while possessing some of the strengths shared by those guys. He's a rookie... his game is going to continue to improve beyond the already impressive state that it's in. I'd love to see him develop some mid-range weapons, such as a Reggie floater. His game looks very fundamentally sound, and yet he also seems to have that ability to improvise... he's not robotic.

The only concern I have is that his numbers stayed consistent throughout his college career... worse than even his brother Kareem's college stats. In fact, they went down slightly every year. It's a little alarming to see that. You'd expect a little bit of stat production increased every year. Is he going to translate into a better NBA player than his brother? At first glance, you'd think so, but Kareem seemed to be starter material coming out of college and look how that worked out. But the key thing on Brandon's side is that he was one of the focal points on an extremely impressive team last year that won a national championship, and that says a lot. And there was a lot of talent on that team that might take away from Brandon's individual stats.

I'm excited to see what this kid can do in a few years. I still don't know how they're going to share minutes between the two Rush brothers and Dunleavy, although it could be a foregone conclusion that Kareem won't be a Pacer this next season.

Could definitely create some family tension if Brandon puts Kareem out of a job, lol.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 06-30-2008 at 04:26 PM.

If he wants to be the next Reggie let's get them together somehow so #31 can teach him how to be Reggie.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I wonder if he wants to be the next old school Reggie or the next Uncle Reggie?

Either way he's going to need to schedule some otoplasty.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice work. Funny.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I'd love to see him develop some mid-range weapons, such as a Reggie floater.
    I saw a couple of videos of him on youtube where he showed a beautiful floater, in traffic, over bigger guys. It reminded me of Reggie. I think if he's showing promise in that area already, he's a step ahead of where Reggie was when he entered the league.

I'm excited about this kid, I feel like he can contribute and make this team better from the word "go".

Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    I've seen him play a lot in college.
    The best word describing his college play would be "efficiency".

He always seems doing the right things on both end of the floors. He never forces on the offense. If he is open he will knock the 3 consistently. If he is not open, he usually makes a very quick side pass or passes to the post. He is very unselfish player.
    :

And for us really old guys this is a nice description of Hersey Hawkins. And not to be confused, that's a good thing.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Great to see Magic Rat back to his old ways.....

yeah, maybe taller version of Hersey
    But offensively Rush is more diverse player IMO. In terms of defense, Hersey was a good one; shorter but quicker and he didn't have the wingspan that Rush has. I think Rush will have trouble guarding some of the quick SG's in the NBA. But I think we have enough versatility in our roster so that we can match him with the right player most of the time...

This time I really feel like we have a young "core" at Granger-Rush-Hibbert which is very exciting. I think all 3 of them will be long time Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I wonder if he wants to be the next old school Reggie or the next Uncle Reggie?

Either way he's going to need to schedule some otoplasty.......
    Those pics eerily look like Jonathan Bender..

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ecuhus via Placebo
    Say what you want about Durant; the truth is this. In the two games he played KU, Julian Wright guarded him in the 1st half; if memory serves, he scored 25 in the 1st half of both games. Rush was on him in the 2nd halves of both games, where he scored 7 and 12 points.
    And against Davidson in the tourney this happened again, Curry went off and Rush drew the 2nd half assignment and he went bye-bye. Curry burned him early using a back and forth move across a screen to get open and it was like Rush realized this and changed strategy after that. Everything about how he plays and the choices he makes in games says "smart".

The 2 knocks on him are - sometimes passive on offense (McKey), not great handles (Granger).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@LG via LAPacer
    Easily one of my favorite players of the draft. James Posey with Battier-like hoop IQ and Odom-like unselfishness. Weak handle. Great 3pt. spot up shooter. Not a one-on-one player. Defends 4 positions at the NCAA level, should be 2 positions at the NBA level. I'd place him at SG despite the weak handle, just for the spot up shooting and off-the-ball movement. Great 2-way player who could use some strength and would fit in very well with 2 primary options ahead of him.
    That write up is scary close to how I felt all year on BRush. I mean the stuff I say is seriously based on just seeing him play about 10-12 times. But then I go read other reports and think "I guess I'm not crazy".

Go over to the Rush highlight thread and look at that clip vs KY. Hard ball fake, draws his own man off jumping the double, then dribbles right for more space, makes the pass from the hip off a dribble to a lane cutter. Textbook pairing of skills and strategy that doesn't require blow-you-away talent, though he's pretty talented.

Talk about not teaching height, you don't teach those kinds of playmaking instincts either. That takes years of playing and a player willing and capable of learning from what he experiences. It's how Tinsley got to the NBA if you'll pardon the otherwise awful comparison. I don't think we'd view Tinsley as "coachable", so it's just not as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    Those pics eerily look like Jonathan Bender..
    That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them.

Very nice job though, MR.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GiRL View Post
    That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them.

Very nice job though, MR.

It does...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BTW, speaking of his rebouding and the KS approach in general, to me Mario Chalmers was one of the best rebounding PGs in this draft. Maybe the best. It really was a shared task as mentioned in one of those evaluations.

but I get the impression Bayless has as many mental shortcomings as he does physical blessings. You get little indication of his fundamentals or his ability to work within an offense... more of a 1-on-1 player... you get the impression he's immature.
    I think there is some truth to this. Bayless and Budinger were on my early radar because both were highly rated as prospects early on. The Pac-10 was very competitive so that was part of it, but still you couldn't help but feel the nagging of their consistant under performance. I think Bayless will be fine, he's got good NBA skills, but I don't think it's wrong to see Rush as more of a team oriented player than Bayless.

I would have been thrilled if they kept Bayless and I never knew about this deal. And I'm thrilled with the results of this trade. To me either way you go the Pacers just gave themselves a nice chance to improve via the draft. ANY pick can flop, including Rush and Bayless. The only question here is what works best for this roster and what are the needs I need to TRY to address.

The intent of the trade is solid, regardless of whether it works out in the end or not.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-01-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

These guys are in stark contrast to Michael Redd, Gilbert or Nash -- all of which can fire about as fast as humanly possible and start their motion "above the shoulder." Redd especially is unreal. He's the modern Doc Holiday and other than maybe Dell Curry, Drazen and Dale Ellis, I can't really think of anyone quicker. Reggie, Mitch Richmond and Ray Ray are all absurd too.
    Chris Jackson was as quick as Dell and Petro. Trent Tucker as well - remember, the 0.3 seconds rule is named after him.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Wow.

Yeah...Mahmoud might be the quickest ever. Forgot all about him. Talk about one of the most underrated players of all time.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Trent Tucker as well - remember, the 0.3 seconds rule is named after him.
    Also...And this is completely random/amazing, basketbawlful did it's "Word of the Day" on The Trent Tucker Rule today and put a YouTube video up of Jason Kapono hitting a shot in .22 seconds.

It's pretty sweet. You should watch it.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

I saw that on SportsScience.

The two fastest releases I've seen: Dell Curry and Kapano.

Ray Allen and Michael Redd are quick also.

What made Reggie so great - he didn't have to be squared up to hit his shots - that hs why he was so great running off screens

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Also...And this is completely random/amazing, basketbawlful did it's "Word of the Day" on The Trent Tucker Rule today and put a YouTube video up of Jason Kapono hitting a shot in .22 seconds.

It's pretty sweet. You should watch it.
    Really? I was digging around trying to find Trent Tucker's shot on YouTube. I couldn't find it - it was quick, but not 0.1 quick. And similar to Reggie, IIRC Tucker wasn't square when he made that shot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you