Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's kind of wierd that this thread came up. Late last night, after reading all the doom and gloom about the draft night trade, I decided to post what I had learned about Brandon Rush after traveling to Austin/San Antonio and watching him the NCAA finals.

Folks might take exception at the gall of a rookie even mentioning his name in the same sentence with the name of Reggie Miller, especially a Pacer fan.

But I suspect that Rush realizes that there are a lot of similarities between important aspects of his offensive game and that of Reggie Miller.

Because quite frankly, except maybe for maybe the young Reggie's ego and boldness in expressing that ego, whereas Rush is much more humble, I'd say that the two are very similar in their offensive approach to the game.

And I believe that Rush is totally capable of being a mini-Reggie. He's certainly capable of hitting every shot that Reggie ever hit throughout his career.

It all comes down to whether he is willing to work as hard as Reggie did and whether he develops the mental toughness that Reggie was able to muster.

His offensive skill set is certainly comparable, except for maybe Reggie's floater.

But what I like is that he has publicly challenged himself. He made the statement, it didn't come from anyone else.

HE wants to be the next Reggie Miller. To me that is a very bold statement. Reggie's dedication to preparation is certainly very well known to anyone who has followed basketball over the last 20 years. So to me, Rush's statement has to mean that he is absolutely willing to work his butt off to become the best player he is capable of being.

A promise of such dedication is a very strong statement and its a promise by which he will certainly be measured.

Bayless or Rush? You guys can b!tch about that for the next 5 years.

But I'm liking what I'm hearing from Brandon Rush.
    Well said.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let him try it. This kid has potential.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Beast,

Don't forget, Reggie didn't have the floater until he'd been in the league for a couple of years.

He's got something that Chuck Person, Byron Scott, and Reggie had, but very few other NBA Pacers have had - he steps up his game in pressure situations.

I'd rather have "that" guy for pressure situations than an all-star or MVP candidate that disappears.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Wings: Dun, Granger, Daniels, Graham, Brandan Rush, and Williams
    Actual shooting guards out of that group: B. Rush

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Didn't David Harrison also say he wanted to be an all-star?
    Hulk predicted that he'd be an All-Star before the end of his rookie contract.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Man..

I wasn't really high on the trade at first.. but I'm beginning to love this kid. Rush and Granger a few years down the road. Scary thought.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

^ good video.
    i am very excited to see how he can contribute this year
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Hulk predicted that he'd be an All-Star before the end of his rookie contract.
    And then he got high...and then he got high...and then he got hiii-iigh
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

His J is beautiful. Release is a little slow though.

Stephen Jackson said the same thing...
    I don't remember that. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I doubt he did because that would be pretty assinine while Reggie was still HERE when he came on board.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    And then he got high...and then he got high...and then he got hiii-iigh

Well played sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't remember that. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I doubt he did because that would be pretty assinine while Reggie was still HERE when he came on board.
    I remember it. It was after Reggie retired, Jack was talking about how he wanted to fill the 2 guard position as well as Reggie did. I believe it was the same interview where he said they would win the ring the next year and mail one to Reggie.

So he didn't say it when he got here, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So he didn't say it when he got here, then?
    Not that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    I remember it. It was after Reggie retired, Jack was talking about how he wanted to fill the 2 guard position as well as Reggie did. I believe it was the same interview where he said they would win the ring the next year and mail one to Reggie.
    Glad to know I'm not imagining things. I had no idea how I was going to find that interview to prove myself right.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was looking through some old VHS tapes I had and i came across Reggie's last game. I can't imagine this fan base having that much emotion towards another player like we did for Reggie.

Hm..Is there somewhere I could download Reggie's last game? I'm worthless and have nothing to do on a friday night so that would keep me entertained for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan View Post
    I was looking through some old VHS tapes I had and i came across Reggie's last game. I can't imagine this fan base having that much emotion towards another player like we did for Reggie.
    that last game came after 18 years of blood, sweat, tears, and that stupid spinning dance he did in game 6 that year after he shoved MJ off and busted a 3 in his face.

you can't put that on B Rush just yet...give the kid time. At least he's got a good target to shoot for. If this team starts to come back together, you might see Reggie in the fieldhouse showing him a thing or two.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    His J is beautiful. Release is a little slow though.
    I read several scouting reports that said he had a quick release. But watching various videos it didn't look all that fast to me either.

Maybe they mean in traffic and when coming off screens because he seems to be able to catch, turn, and elevate fairly smoothly.. In mid-range traffic he looks to throw up his floaters with a bit of a shot put. So I called his release "funky", but he does seem to find a way to get it off. And he makes a lot of them.

He does elevate decently on his spot jumper. So maybe his release is fast enough. It'll be more important to hit a good percentage then worry about getting it off. I think he's smart and athletic enough to get open.
    Last edited by OpenWheel; 06-27-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

you guys are making me miss Reggie again

I'm very excited for the Brandon Rush era. There is nothing bad about getting a shooter who is a winner, defender and steps up in the clutch. I'm on the bandwagon.

It was a shocking trade but I'm starting to like it.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Go to the prospect thread and page back a few weeks ago to find the video of Rush, CDR and a couple of other guys going through workouts. Rush was clearly the quickest into his shot, the best dribbler, the smoothest at receiving a pass. He just plays high quality ball.

Having said that, remove all "Reggie" expectations. I think Beast is even taking that too far. He plays great off the ball, but he's not the saavy scorer Reggie was, even early on. He's not the pure shooter Reggie was either.

Rush is the all-around guy, not the Reggie guy. Some Byron Scott variation of Derrick McKey. He understands the floor on both ends and doesn't need the ball or need the ball with his man to be engaged in the play. So you don't run the Reggie screens just for him as much, but you do count on him using screens and spacing to improve his situation and that of his teammates.

I'm much more curious to see what becomes of Hibbert. I wanted no part of him, but he is a great kid and someone I can respect and root for. I hope he finds more game or a better niche at the NBA level.

I read several scouting reports that said he had a quick release. But watching various videos it didn't look all that fast to me either.
    I agree. He's not Kareem any more than he's Reggie. He won't come off a screen for a super quick catch and shoot. But if you leave him he'll make you pay, and that includes moving to a more favorable spot on the court to receive a pass and increase the close out space for his defender.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-27-2008 at 11:23 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Glad to know I'm not imagining things. I had no idea how I was going to find that interview to prove myself right.
    No, you were right. I think even when he first got here he was talking about the privilege to back up Reggie and eventual take his spot, etc. But you know me, I think Jack had his heart in the right place and was sincere.

Brandon Rush is in the Paul Pierce/Mike Finley slow-release club. These are the type of players who really need to step in and got through his whole motion to be uber-effective and accurate from deep. Pierce especially is just deadly when he's open and can do his whole catch/gather/dip/step/stroke routine as he's shooting. These guys shoot from "below the hip" and have a long motion, using everything from toe to fingertip.

These guys are in stark contrast to Michael Redd, Gilbert or Nash -- all of which can fire about as fast as humanly possible and start their motion "above the shoulder." Redd especially is unreal. He's the modern Doc Holiday and other than maybe Dell Curry, Drazen and Dale Ellis, I can't really think of anyone quicker. Reggie, Mitch Richmond and Ray Ray are all absurd too.

Luckilly, JO'B's system gets a lot of wide open looks, so his slightly slower loading time shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is whether he has true NBA range. He was very effective from 3 in college, and seemed capable of drilling em a few feet back, but it's really a crap shoot as to who might struggle with the transition and who won't.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 06-28-2008 at 02:30 AM.