Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

Default Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/681550.html

------------------------------

KU’s Rush winds up with Indiana at NBA draft
    By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

NEW YORK | Brandon Rush walked around the TV interview room, feeling a bit lost with a Portland Trail Blazers cap on his head.

“This is pretty weird,” Rush said. “I hope there aren’t any Indiana people around here.”

It just wouldn’t be right for Rush’s draft night to go off without a hitch. When it comes to getting to the NBA, Rush only knows unforeseen twists and turns. On Thursday, the script flipped again when the Portland Trail Blazers picked Rush 13th overall and then traded him to the Indiana Pacers in a package for No. 11 pick Jerryd Bayless.

Ten minutes after the trade was announced, Rush was still looking for a Pacers cap. The trade hadn’t been officially passed by league officials, but Rush didn’t care.

“I might have to switch with Bayless,” Rush said.

All awkwardness aside, Rush’s night couldn’t have gone much better. A year after tearing his ACL and wondering whether he would ever be the same player again, Rush, a Kansas City native, was selected in the draft lottery.

“People doubted I would be the same player,” Rush said.

Yet, here he was on Thursday morning, hanging out with his relatively small entourage in the lobby of the Westin Times Square, looking corporate already with a white dress shirt and black slacks.

“It didn’t really hit me until I woke up this morning, like, today is the day my dream comes true,” Rush said. “It was taking forever for a while.”

When Rush says forever, he means it. Remember, he wanted to turn pro out of high school but eventually decided to go to college. He wanted to go after his sophomore year at Kansas, but the most fortuitous injury in KU history occurred and Rush was forced to hang around for one more year. Rush has no regrets. But it still felt like forever.

“I think it was better I did it this way,” Rush said. “If I would have come out of high school, my freshman year or sophomore year, I don’t think I would have been in the green room. I don’t think I was that type of player that would be in the green room.”

Rush found out that he was invited to the green room on Sunday. That was the first tangible sign that he had moved himself into prime position during his tour of workouts over the last two months, the first sign that he had indeed made it.

On Thursday morning, that made Rush think about all the doubters back in his hometown, like a principal at Westport High School who predicted that the youngest of the three Rush brothers would “amount to nothing,” according to Rush.

“She’s wrong,” Rush said. “Big time.

“I think this will be a nice thing to go back and slap everybody in the face for doubting me.”

Rush was accompanied by his brother, Kareem; his best friend from KC, Tim Blackwell; and an uncle. Blackwell, who played with Rush as a kid and went to UMKC, said he was speechless about being in the Big Apple with his childhood buddy.

“Anytime someone makes it like this that you know, it’s just amazing,” Blackwell said. “I’m just happy for him.”

Kareem Rush knew what it was like for Brandon, growing up in his and JaRon Rush’s shadow.

“People looked at him under a microscope,” Kareem said. “Brandon has accomplished more than me and JaRon both accomplished in our college careers. I’m proud of him.”

Rush arrived in the green room — it is actually not a room, but a closed-off area that everybody in the WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden could see very clearly — about an hour before the draft. He sat around and sent text messages on his iPhone.

“I just can’t wait for this to be over,” Rush said.

The last few months have been a whirlwind. Rush moved to Chicago and worked out with renowned basketball trainer Tim Grover and a physical therapist. He worked out in front of 10 teams — a very large number — and tried to leave everything he had on the court each time.

“It’s a lot of pressure,” Rush said. “You don’t know what teams are really interested in you. Everything, I did to the extreme. I hustled every time I stepped on the court.”

Rush’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, said Rush impressed the Pacers from the beginning. Actually, he impressed everybody, it seemed.

“Literally, as much as anybody in this draft,” Bartelstein said, “everywhere he’s gone, he’s done extremely well.”

Bartelstein got the news of the planned pick-and-trade deal with Portland and Indiana and relayed it to Rush. It was Rush’s job to field questions as if he knew nothing of the trade, which also included a swap of Indiana’s Ike Diogu and Portland’s Jarrett Jack. Rush handled the task admirably, talking about Portland’s young talent and great organization.

When Rush was picked, he walked through a throng of fans, all trying to give him five or share pounds of the fist. Yells of “Rock Chalk!” were mixed in with pleas for the attention of “B-Rush!”

Before long, Rush would put on a different cap. Rush had already made the connection that being a Pacer meant possibly playing on the same team with Kareem, who is a free agent and could re-sign with Indiana.

“Nothing like a little sibling rivalry,” Kareem said.

Brandon wasn’t too worried about a possible battle with Kareem for playing time. He was thinking bigger. Much bigger.

“Reggie Miller,” Rush said. “I want to try to be the next Reggie Miller. That’s my whole take.”

Default Re: Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"

Can't fault a guy for setting lofty goals. LOL

i think Brandon Rush is going to be one of top 3 players of the draft.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lets make it happen. I like this kid, and you know he can't totally hate the state cause IU was his second choice after KU.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I'd be OK with him being the next Danny Granger.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i think Brandon Rush is going to be one of top 3 players of the draft.
    I have no doubt in my mind he'll be Top 6. The only problem, of course, is if Bayless is Top 3.

Regardless, we got ourselves a good one.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I think Kareem needs to move on. I'm worried as hell about the two of them being on the same team.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully he can learn to kick his legs out on 3s.

Hopefully, he'll be a much better defender and not just be described as "pesky".

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I think Kareem needs to move on. I'm worried as hell about the two of them being on the same team.

Given the size of our current roster, I would say the chances of Kareem resigning with the Pacers is pretty close to zero unless Larry does a 3 for 1 trade with somebody.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Think he already has as the writing is on the wall and he's no longer under contract and the Pacers will probably not even bother offering one with a full roster and having picked up Graham's option.

Wings: Dun, Granger, Daniels, Graham, Brandan Rush, and Williams

That's six and more than enough. Kareem is a good talent and needs to find a team that will offer minutes.

I like that he's gone through a little adversity and moving to Chicago to work with trainer Tim Grover is a great move by him

Conversely, we may be able to sign Kareem to another, cheap one-year deal if having his brother here would an incentive for him to stick around.

We probably don't need him, but if he'll stick around for $1.5 million, you might as well hang onto him as an asset. We're probably gonna be active in February with a few of these expirings and anyone who wants Foster or Rasho as a Playoff big would probably see a chearp, three-point shooter like Kareem as at least a mild sweetener.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It takes big feet to fill the shoes of the Knick Killer. It'll be awesome if he can do it though.
    Pacers,baby!

If Kareem is willing to be our third string SG and take a back-seat to his younger brother, I'd love to have him back. Do you know how much Kareem would make his younger bro? I don't know if any if you guys have siblings, but playing against my older brother, made me a lot better. If anyone knows Kareem's weaknesses, it's his brothers. The drive to be better, and the fact that he'll be battling his brother in practice could really accelerate Brandon's learning curve. It would be like Granger and Artest battling in practice, except these two know each other much better.

We should get rid of Marquis Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    “Reggie Miller,” Rush said. “I want to try to be the next Reggie Miller. That’s my whole take.”
    Stephen Jackson said the same thing...

Regardless, I do like Rush. He's no Bayless, but he is what I've been wanting for a while: a prototype shooting guard instead of a 3 playing as a 2.

He should be the best pure SG in this year's draft. Again, I'd much rather have Bayless, but I'm happy that Rush is here.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

he wont be the "next reggie miller" no one will EVER be that, however hard they try they will not be that. He needs to be Brandon Rush....and make himself a legacy rather then trying to be Reggie.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Stephen Jackson said the same thing...

Regardless, I do like Rush. He's no Bayless, but he is what I've been wanting for a while: a prototype shooting guard instead of a 3 playing as a 2.

He should be the best pure SG in this year's draft. Again, I'd much rather have Bayless, but I'm happy that Rush is here.

This hits on something, I've thought of. They have gotten guys who are actually sized for a position in the last 3 days, its awesome.

Rush 2
    Jack 1
    Ford 1
    Nesto 5
    Hibbert 5

and even the bench fodder

Maceo 4
    McRoberts 4

I like this it feels more comfortable to me.

Atleast the guy has confidence
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Reggie Miller...
    I just want the guy to be better then his older brothers to start with. That in itself may be a challenge.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

ive liked Rush since last year's draft, last year i had him going into top 10, then that injury occured, the only big knock about him is his assertiveness.. he got skills, he is long for his size and he can shoot, its just his assertiveness.

When we picked Bayless at 11, i was hoping that Rush would go down to 17th pick to be chosen by Toronto For us, but as it turned out, it never needed to do that. Bird already got his eyes on Rush the whole time. Bayless is a talent tho, i think of him as the unorthodox point guard or shooting guard, but with rush, we are getting a SG that can defend and shoot
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

If I find any JPN girl wearing his jersey I'd change my avatar.

Actually, I can see both Rush boys being here.

Kareem plays at the 2-Guard and Brandon has been listed as a 3 (SF). IF Shawn does get traded, I can see Brandon sliding over to backup Granger/Dunleavy and Bird retaining Kareem. Frankly, when the Toranto trade was announced yet no additional player was mentioned, I was hoping we'd get Joey Graham. But having the Rush boys wouldn't be bad either.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Kareem is an unrestricted FA and we have 16 people under contract right now. He's good as gone.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

It's kind of wierd that this thread came up. Late last night, after reading all the doom and gloom about the draft night trade, I decided to post what I had learned about Brandon Rush after traveling to Austin/San Antonio and watching him the NCAA finals.

A Renewal of Faith and the Re-Birth of a Fan

...All I can say about Rush is that if one can accept the fact that there will only be one and only one Reggie Miller, then you should be able to appreciate Brandon Rush… because coming out of college he is about as similar to Reggie in the way that he approaches offense as you are going to get.

He didn’t create many of his own shots, but like Reggie he definitely grasps how to effectively use screens or even an opposing player to rub off his man. He gets his shot off quicker than Reggie and his form is much better. He was the fan favorite of most of the Kansas fans, and after focusing on him off-and-on for 2 games, I’m definitely a fan.

As rookie, we’ll get on him about his defense, but we will definitely appreciate his offensive contributions. He’s got a lot of offensive smarts. The confidence and willingness to take “the shot” is not going to be a problem with Rush, at any range and at any time during the game. Sounds a lot like Reggie, doesn’t it?...
    Folks might take exception at the gall of a rookie even mentioning his name in the same sentence with the name of Reggie Miller, especially a Pacer fan.

But I suspect that Rush realizes that there are a lot of similarities between important aspects of his offensive game and that of Reggie Miller.

Because quite frankly, except maybe for maybe the young Reggie's ego and boldness in expressing that ego, whereas Rush is much more humble, I'd say that the two are very similar in their offensive approach to the game.

And I believe that Rush is totally capable of being a mini-Reggie. He's certainly capable of hitting every shot that Reggie ever hit throughout his career.

It all comes down to whether he is willing to work as hard as Reggie did and whether he develops the mental toughness that Reggie was able to muster.

His offensive skill set is certainly comparable, except for maybe Reggie's floater.

But what I like is that he has publicly challenged himself. He made the statement, it didn't come from anyone else.

HE wants to be the next Reggie Miller. To me that is a very bold statement. Reggie's dedication to preparation is certainly very well known to anyone who has followed basketball over the last 20 years. So to me, Rush's statement has to mean that he is absolutely willing to work his butt off to become the best player he is capable of being.

A promise of such dedication is a very strong statement and its a promise by which he will certainly be measured.

Bayless or Rush? You guys can b!tch about that for the next 5 years.

But I'm liking what I'm hearing from Brandon Rush.
    Last edited by beast23; 06-27-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Didn't David Harrison also say he wanted to be an all-star?

As a player, you can say anything you want. I won't be impressed until he backs it up.