Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The free agent list.

Default Re: The free agent list.

They are hoping McRoberts helps sell a few tickets being frrom Indy. They did the same thing with Bailey in "94

Sports Logo

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/200...nandtrade.html

NJ Nets agree to sign-and-trade for Keyon Dooling
    by Dave D'Alessandro/The Star-Ledger
    Friday July 18, 2008, 9:29 PM

Rod Thorn is about to fill his most glaring vacancy, and now all he have to do is wait for Orlando to do some clerical work. The Nets have an agreement in principle to make a sign-and-trade deal for free agent Keyon Dooling, a combo guard they have pursued for years, and he'll fit right in as a reserve for starters Vince Carter and Devin Harris.
    "I'm hopeful ... that we can make a trade," was Thorn's closest statement resembling a confirmation Friday night.

An eight-year veteran, Dooling would be acquired by making use of a $3.3 million trade exception the Nets obtained in the Jason Kidd deal last February. That will now be transferred to the Magic, who will prepare a two-year contract that calls for a $3.3 million salary next year and a $3.5 million salary for 2009-10, with a partially-guaranteed third season that will pay him a pittance.

The process is expected to be completed by mid-week, after Orlando prepares the contract and the Nets give the 6-foot-3 Dooling his physical. But the process won't begin until the teams run the trade past the league Monday morning.

The trade gives the Nets a solid backcourt trio, with a feisty, long-armed third guard who can defend both spots effectively. But it also gives them 16 guaranteed contracts, so they have stepped up their efforts to move point guard Marcus Williams, who now becomes the odd man out again.

The most logical landing spot for Williams might be one of the many teams who have their own trade exceptions -- Seattle has two, in fact -- and wouldn't mind taking a chance on a work in progress with a $1.2 million price tag.

"I have no problems with going to 16 contracts," Thorn said. "We've got other things to do. Even if this does happen, we have work to do,and we have a lot of time to do it in."

Dooling, a 28-year-old Floridian who made $3.5 million last year -- he averaged 8.1 points and 1.8 assists in 72 games -- was looking like the odd man out in this free agent market until the Nets came calling. The Magic had offered him the biannual exception, which calls for a mere $4.1 million for two seasons. His agent, Rob Pelinka, rejected the offer, and Dooling himself called it an insult.

"I don't even know why they offered that bi-annual because I rejected it right away. I don't know if they were trying to devalue me or whatever the case may be, but that wasn't acceptable," Dooling told Florida Today. "It's ridiculous. That's not a suitable offer for someone who was a good player on a good team. It wasn't a market value offer and that's the bottom line."

The Nets had no such misgivings, and they had no other immediate plans anyway for the trade exception, which expires in February.
    I remember there was talk on here in another thread about who would be impacted by the signing of Anthony Johnson in Orlando. Looks like Dooling is on his way out to New Jersey and Marcus Williams needs a new home. How much does this affect Tinsley's stock now with Williams on the market?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andre Brown of Memphis. He's restricted but I think he can be had.

Austin Croshere, solid vet & locker room guy, Unrestricted that could come cheap. Not my first chose, just an option until we find our guy.

Nenad Krstic, restricted out of New Jersey. Looks to be the odd man out. Put up great numbers before his injury. If the knees good, he would be a steal.

Carl Landry, restricted from Houston. Enough has been said on here about him. Nice fit.

Brian Skinner, unrestricted from Phoenix. A surprise option here. Solid vet that could fill the void until we get the upgrade we need.
    With the exception of Landry, none of these guys are dramatically better third-stringers than Maceo Baston. And none of them would beat out Foster/Murph for the second string. And that doesn't include the possibility of Shawne/Granger getting minutes at the 4.

I just don't see what adding these guys would do for us.
    Last edited by Anthem; 07-19-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember there was talk on here in another thread about who would be impacted by the signing of Anthony Johnson in Orlando. Looks like Dooling is on his way out to New Jersey and Marcus Williams needs a new home. How much does this affect Tinsley's stock now with Williams on the market?
    Just another competitor for us in our efforts to ditch Tins. However, this one's merchandise would be younger, much more economical, and expire quickly. Combine that with some of these also ran or near also ran types like a Jason Williams still floating around and, when it's all said and done, I think we'll still have to wind up trying the buyout route despite all our best efforts to the contrary. I suppose I should never underestimate some unfortunate team's desperation though. Hope springs eternal?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata