Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 08 Draft Post-Mortem: Thoughts?

streets ahead

Default 08 Draft Post-Mortem: Thoughts?

Just thought I would create a thread where people could post their overall reactions to the entire night. I'll be posting my own in a few (I know, the anticipation is killing you.)
    This is the darkest timeline.

Default Re: 08 Draft Post-Mortem: Thoughts?

It's difficult to say until all the dust settles this summer, and we see what the Ps have when the season gets ready to start. So far, it's OK. Lot of work left to do, though.

The trade I'm so-so on. Don't think it's the end of the world. Would have liked to get a bit more out of the Blazers in terms of their plethora of picks.

I hope Hibbert can be as effective as some people seem to think. I understand his a fundamentally sound player and has the size. What concerns me is his ability to be beneficial in the uptempo system. He looks awful slow to me.

I think however you slice it, though, we have to be better than we were last year without JO and Tins. Hoping there are some further moves on the way. I am please in the sense that I thought it was important to obtain two solid PG options this offseason and that has happened.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd say after all these trades we are officially in a rebuilding period. No matter how you slice it.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For me, I'm just a little shaky on Hibbert. This kid has potential. Let's just hope he isn't another Ike Diogu.

Other than that, I feel that we got out of the draft a lot better than we came in. We honestly have to had put some new life into this team for the better.

I can't believe the Nets got CDR and B. Lopez. Wow.

Yi / Lopez / Sean Williams is one hell of a frontcourt.

It is unfair to rate a draft for several years. I am pretty meh!? on it so far, this team needs a lot of work. I am at least pleased that it seems The Larry is starting a major overhaul.

Mood

I was really hoping we could snag Hibbert at 18 (thanks for swiping him)but hey at least we didn't get Koufos!!!!!!!

I liked Bill Walker at 47. If he was healthy wwe could have the steal of the draft, if not he doesn't cost a dime. Instead we get cash....really helps us fans
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I am glad that all our perimeter positions are locked up w/ solid players. Ford and Jack will play every PG minute, and Granger/Dun/Rush will play all the SG/SF minutes. Not a whole lot to dislike there.

We have got serious beef at C for the first time in forever. Our PF position is so bad that we are practically begging Murphy for a breakout year.

Last year our weakness was everything and anything involving the perimeter (okay, that's an exaggeration, but still). It's going to be the opposite this year, as Hibbert learns the game and Murphy chucks threes.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzYh4CGAbCU&feature=related

How did this guy not get drafted? Best shooter not currently in the NBA.

I let the hype get to me and got excited when a projected top-five pick fell to us. Readily admit I freaked out when we traded him. Started to relax and appreciate the actual players we got for him - and how they may fit into the team. Still wish we would have worked more current or future picks out of the deal. The Hibbert pick I don't mind. He was the second realistic big (behind Speights) that I was hoping the pacers would get.

Not really that upset anymore, actually more intrigued by the team rebuild. I do believe the P's could have leveraged more out of Bayless (then again, I still think they could have leveraged more out of Chuck Person and Michael Williams), but it doesn't sound like they did, and it's not the end of the world.

Realistically, if you look at the "Who do you want at 11 and 17" thread, before the draft it seemed the majority would have been happy with Rush and Hibbert. We got those two players along with a backup point guard in Jack. I guess that's not a bad haul for one night.

Still will cheer like heck for the Pacers from down south (now) and look forward to see what other moves will be made this summer and over the next couple of years.

I can't remember who said it, but I'm of the camp that at least Bird and Morway are trying to do something and make changes to the team.

I think it went really well. The Pacers should have a really good deep team next season. If we could upgrade the PF position somehow, I could see us winning a lot of games, but that's a big if.

We basically filled three needs tonight: big man, point guard, shooting guard.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me, I'm just a little shaky on Hibbert. This kid has potential. Let's just hope he isn't another Ike Diogu.
    Duke, Ike could only dream of being 7'2". Now if he kept getting chubbier he would get close to Hibbert's weight of 280.

I just think Bird saw someone who could bang with the Shaqs and Odens of the world. The main thing is the guy is very coachable and his work ethic unlike our Colorado failure is unquestioned.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

streets ahead

Here are my thoughts...

1) PORTLAND TRADE: We were Pritch-slapped

I am left nauseated by the Portland deal. Contrary to popular wisdom, this isn't for any particular love of Jerryd Bayless or hatred of Brandon Rush. I hate this deal because I think we could have and should have gotten more for Bayless. Why couldn't we snag the pick they bought from the Hornets or at the very least one of their early second rounders? Why was a guy like McRoberts (who can't even seem to cut it in the D League) considered sweetener? If we had ended up with the #27 or 33 & 36 i would have felt much better about the deal. instead we handed Portland a top 5 talent and our only remaining post player (Ike) for a mid-first talent in rush, a career backup PG in Jack and a joke in McRoberts.

Ultimately I'm disappointed because while some players (like JO, Tinsley, Murphy, etc.) we should just understand we won't get full value, we didn't have to just simply hand Bayless to the Blazers. Wouldn't Rush, Arthur and Jack look a lot better than Rush, McRoberts and Jack? I think Bayless is talented enough where we could have had the #27 but chose McRoberts instead. Even the rights to a guy like Kopponen would have been light years ahead of McRoberts.

2) BIG ROY: Hibbertchi

I can't say I'm thrilled but who else were we going to pick here? Both Speights and Thompson were taken and so was Robin Lopez. Hibbert seems like an acceptable choice for the spot. Besides it gave me some amount of sick joy that my friend who is a Wizards fan, had Rush and Hibbert as his top two choices for #18. Hibbert is certainly big and can play defense; decent passer; robot on offense. We'll see.

3) SECOND ROUND: Sigh

If we didn't get Speights, I was really hoping we could pick up a guy like Hendrix in the second round. At least someone who is capable of post-offense. A shooter like Shan Foster would have been nice too. But alas.

4) THE FALLOUT: Packin' Bags

Jamaal Tinsley, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here. Jamaal is definitely gone. Seems like with the selection of a true center, Foster is probably on his way out too. I'm not sure where for either, I just hope we don't sell Foster for $0.60 on the dollar. For Tinsley, I'd love to be able to sell him for at least $0.60 on the dollar. Shawne is on thin ice, so we'll see what happens.

As of this moment we have 16 players.

FORD / JACK / TINSLEY / DIENER
    DUNLEAVY / B.RUSH / GRAHAM
    GRANGER / DANIELS / WILLIAMS
    MURPHY / BASTON / MCROBERTS
    RASHO / FOSTER / HIBBERT
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 06-27-2008 at 12:54 AM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Before the Bayless trade, I thought it was a phenomenal draft.

Now, I'm just numb.

Our PF rotation is a horrible, horrible joke. And our center spot isn't much better.

I hope to God there are more trades (let me rephrase; more GOOD trades) on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Before the Bayless trade, I thought it was a phenomenal draft.

Now, I'm just numb.
    But are you comfortable?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

So.
    PG- Ford,Jack,Diener (assuming Tins is gone)
    SG - Dunleavy, Daniels, Rush, Rush, Graham, Murray
    SF - Granger or Dunleavy, Williams
    PF - Murphy or Foster, Baston,
    C - Foster, Nesterovic, Hibbert

is that our roster so far? just trying to map it out
    [SIGPIC]Dun Dun shooting form![/SIGPIC]

I was extremely upset when we traded Bayless. I watched a lot of him during the season and I believe he is the real deal.

However, we are certainly a better defensive team, there is no doubt about that. Rush is an excellent defender and can be a guy we can use to defend the dominant scorers at the wing positions (something Granger proved we can't count on him to do).

Jarrett Jack is a good defender from the PG position and provides us with an excellent backup to T.J. Ford. We now have one of the best point guard rotations in the NBA, which is a serious positive.

Jamaal Tinsley and Shawne Williams are most likely on their way out, so we are not finished seeing changes to this roster.

Obviously, we have to pick up a power forward with Diogu and Jermaine leaving.

Hibbert was an excellent pick, despite all the complaining I saw. He is who I wanted from the 17 spot. He has legit low post skills as a 7'2" center and is a solid defender from that spot also. He is our first real center in a long time (Smits.) I can't say it enough: You guys are going to be very pleasantly surprised by Roy Hibbert. He is a very good player that will produce for us right away.

While it will hurt to see Bayless make all-star teams and put up moster numbers in Portland, I think we did make a move that will bring us a championship faster than drafting Bayless and keeping him would have.
    Last edited by Isaac; 06-27-2008 at 01:39 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chalmers > Jack

Couldn't we have at least gotten Portland's #33 out of the deal?

Mood

Wizards took a blood test when Arthur worked out with them, said it came up fine.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    But are you comfortable?
    His hands feel just like two balloons...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Chalmers > Jack

Couldn't we have at least gotten Portland's #33 out of the deal?
    I disagree, I think Chalmers upside is Jack. I'm pleased with that pickup.

At the same time, I agree that we should have been able to snag one of Portland's second rounders.

At the very least I wish we could keep Jawai.

Not unlike the 49ers draft this year for me.

Meh. Team needed an infusion of excitement but you look up and we got 3 interior Linemen and a tweener DB.

Maybe it works out in the long run but you don't wanna have to force yourself to think that in the present.

We will also be a better team next year than we were this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperVisor View Post
    Not unlike the 49ers draft this year for me.

Meh. Team needed an infusion of excitement but you look up and we got 3 interior Linemen and a tweener DB.
    Repeat after me: Patrick Willis. Patrick Willis. Patrick Willis.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs