Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Call O'Neal Trade \"Speculation\"

Default Raptors Call O'Neal Trade \"Speculation\"

Raptors Call O'Neal Trade \"Speculation\"

http://sports.excite.com/news/06262008/v3255.html
    Jun 26, 12:51 PM (ET)

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -The Indiana Pacers denied on Thursday reports of a deal to trade six-time All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal to the Toronto Raptors for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic, the 17th pick in the draft and a player to be named. The deal was reported by Yahoo, citing an unidentified NBA executive, and The Indianapolis Star, which cited a person familiar with the talks that it did not name.

Pacers spokesman David Benner said those reports were premature.

"There is no trade to announce. It is all speculation," Benner told The Associated Press.
    Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that he was in the midst of "four or five" conversations with teams involving Ford and a combination of Toronto's No. 17 pick and/or other Raptors players leading up to Thursday night's draft.

A deal can't be finalized until July 1, when Ford's base-year compensation tag comes off the books, and Yahoo and the Star both said O'Neal and Ford must still pass physicals.

The Associated Press left messages seeking comment Thursday for O'Neal's agent, Arn Tellem.
    O'Neal, who will turn 30 before entering his 13th season, has a contract paying him more than $44 million over the next two seasons.

The trade would leave the Pacers without their most-prominent player since Reggie Miller retired three years ago. It would, however, give them another first-round draft pick to go with their No. 11 selection as they look to rebuild after missing the playoffs two consecutive years.

Acquiring Ford also would give them a possible replacement at point guard for Jamaal Tinsley, who is unpopular with fans and has missed much time with injuries in recent seasons.

Ford has his own health problems, including being diagnosed in 2001 with spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the openings of the vertebra the spinal cord runs through. He suffered a neck injury in February 2004 and was sidelined until the 2005-06 season.
    Ford averaged a career-high 14 points and 7.9 assists in 2006-07 as the Raptors won the Atlantic Division. Last season, Ford missed 24 games after hitting his head on the court during a December game and ended up averaging 12.1 points and 6.1 assists.

O'Neal averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 42 games last season, missing 33 games in midseason because of pain and swelling from an injured left knee. He tore meniscus cartilage in his left knee during the 2006-07 season and had surgery in April 2007, but it hadn't healed fully by last fall's training camp.

O'Neal and the Pacers have struggled since 2003-04 when the team had the NBA's best record at 61-21 and he finished third in the MVP voting after averaging 20.1 points and 10 rebounds. He was suspended the following season for 15 games for his role in the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans. He has missed 122 games the past four seasons.

Nesterovic, a 7-footer from Slovenia, averaged 7.8 points and 4.8 rebounds last season in his ninth NBA season.
    ----------------

Maybe the trade depends on whether a certain player is available to the Pacers at 17, who knows?
    Last edited by Will Galen; 06-26-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Default Re: Raptors Call O'Neal Trade \"Speculation\"

Please tell me this isn't gonna drag on forever
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this doesn't go through, I'm gonna seriously consider going PFFL. Well not really, but still this would suck majorly, and I'd get blamed for it lol.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Benner says, "There is no trade to announce."

We already knew the medical checks and July 1 had to roll around before the announcement.

No worries.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well I think part of this trade banks on who the Pacers want at 17 and if they're available.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I'd get blamed for it lol.
    Damn straight.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yes, there is no deal to announce, the league has not approved it so there isn't a trade. The teams however have agrred to it, their lawyers and cap people say it will work.

So the deal is agred to, but can't be announced until July 9th.

But it will get done, don't worry about the teams denial, they have to do that

As I said in my post, I wasn't sure this was a done deal. Seemed kind of sketchy to be out stating a trade as a fact.

This will be a true black eye for the STAR if this proves to be false. Meaning they followed the lead of an internet news service and reported something as fact based on the conversation of someone close to the source.

I have a feeling that where there is smoke there is fire, but I am also afraid this may have been premature.

Let's just hope for everyones sake that this actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes, there is no deal to announce, the league has not approved it so there isn't a trade. The teams however have agrred to it, their lawyers and cap people say it will work.

Is this your view of the situation, do you have inside info, or am I missing something that was written and confirmed somewhere?

So, will pick 41 be the clue we're looking for that says this is real?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Meh, this is just legal-speak.

Mood

Remember all, the league has rules against talking about this sort of stuff until it's official... so what else do you expect the teams to say/do???
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Is this your view of the situation, do you have inside info, or am I missing something that was written and confirmed somewhere?
    No inside info, but every year during the moritorium (july 1st through whenever the signings start) there are always agreed to signings, agreed to trades that cannot be announced until the moritorium is lifted.

Having said that sure, something could happen, players might not pass physicals, or who knows. But a lot of things could happen. Earthquake could hit Indianapolis and we all die - but that isn't going to happen. I firmly believe the trade as reported will take place. One thing I'm 100% sure about, don't pay any atention to what The pacers and raptors say on this because they cannot confirm the trade right now.

Bottom line is somehting drastic would have to happen for the trade not to take place

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No inside info, but every year during the moritorium (july 1st through whenever the signings start) there are always agreed to signings, agreed to trades that cannot be announced until the moritorium is lifted.

Having said that sure, something could happen, players might not pass physicals, or who knows. But a lot of things could happen. Earthquake could hit Indianapolis and we all die - but that isn't going to happen. I firmly believe the trade as reported will take place. One thing I'm 100% sure about, don't pay any atention to what The pacers and raptors say on this because they cannot confirm the trade right now.

Bottom line is somehting drastic would have to happen for the trade not to take place
    Wanna bet?

woman without a team

A trade isn't a trade until all the paper work is signed. You are all setting yourselves up for weeks of ulcers waiting for this to happen.

I wouldn't want to be Indy and Shade if JO and Jamaal are still here in November.

I already put a disclaimer in my thread.

Even if JO Is here this fall, I'm just gonna pretend he isn't.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Raptors Call O'Neal Trade "Speculation"

Pacers spokesman David Benner said those reports were premature.

"There is no trade to announce. It is all speculation," Benner told The Associated Press.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

(He got traded too...Shhh...)

Mood

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Wanna bet?
    Either way you win!

Yeah, whateva. Speculation my ***
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

NBA.com has it reported as an agreement based on physicals.

Sports Logo

In relation to this thread.....this little blurb in the already-posted article by Hollinger sticks out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...altrade-080625

The trade can't be completed until July 9, however, because Ford is a base-year compensation player until the first day that next season's cap rules kick in (July 1), and so the trade won't work under the cap until then. From then until July 9, the league has a moratorium on trades and signings. Given all that, the trade won't be official for a fortnight.

Instead, this will be the trade that everybody knows about but nobody acknowledges publicly. There will be no announcements or news conferences and it might mess with some summer-league plans. But the teams are exchanging medical information, and right now everything appears to be a go.

By the way, this delay also means there are still two weeks for other teams to get in on this trade and make it more than a two-way deal. (With luck, maybe it morphs into one of those indecipherable five-way deals that somehow involve the rights to an international player who was drafted five years ago but never got a sniff of the league. I have visions of Roberto Dueñas and Sergei Lishouk waiting anxiously by the phone to find out their new "team.")
    I'm inclined to go with UB and Shade on this and say that it's just the legal policy to say that there is no trade until the papers are signed....but still think that there can be some cold feet if something comes up.

I guess we just have to wait for the Beat Reporters to report on JONeal's workout.

Also...I'm intrigued and worried about the 2nd part about how there is still time to make changes to the deal until July 9th. I'm hoping that JONeal comes up relatively healthy in the medical and that the Raptors don't ask for more.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

JO has confirmed that he is going to Toronto.

JO has confirmed that he is going to Toronto.
    Hey, Buck, sorry if that earlier question came off as challenging you or your credibility or being curt. I didn't mean to. Your wording was so firm, that I wanted to make sure I understood where you were coming from before I used the information anywhere else.