Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chad Ford Mock Draft v. 7.0

Thumbs down chad Ford Mock Draft v. 7.0

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ckDraft-080626

Here is the newest Mock. I hope he isn't right. What is wrong with Bayless? I do pretty find it intresting that he Pacers logo is now on pick 17.
    PICK
    TEAM
    PLAYER
    VITALS

Indiana

Kosta Koufos

Position: C
    Height: 7-1
    Weight: 265
    School: Ohio State

The skinny: The Pacers have been eyeing two point guards -- D.J. Augustin and Russell Westbrook -- for a while. But now that Pacers are landing T.J. Ford, they can afford to look elsewhere.
    Kosta Koufos, Darrell Arthur and Robin Lopez are three bigs who could entice Indiana. Koufos and Arthur excel on offense, while Lopez can get it done on defense.
    One dark horse is Brandon Rush, a great fit in the type of offense Pacers coach Jim O'Brien likes to run.
    PICK
    TEAM
    PLAYER
    VITALS

Sacramento

Jerryd Bayless

Position: PG
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 204
    School: Arizona

The skinny: Sacramento will go nuts with excitement if Bayless is still on the board here. With Beno Udrih expected to sign elsewhere, the Kings need a point guard in the worst way and would be thrilled if Bayless or Augustin were to fall to them. Bayless could go as high as No. 4, but he could also slide this far.
    Another option for the Kings is Roy Hibbert. He wouldn't be an upside pick, but he could step in right away and contribute. They also are big fans of Donte' Greene.
    PICK
    TEAM
    PLAYER
    VITALS

Portland

Anthony Randolph

Position: PF
    Height: 6-10
    Weight: 197
    School: LSU

The skinny: It seems unlikely the Blazers will actually keep this pick. They are loaded with young players and have a history of draft day activity on the trade market.
    As noted above, the Blazers are quite possibly on track to acquire the No. 10 pick and take D.J. Augustin.
    Also, the team has been eyeing Joe Alexander and Russell Westbrook, and hoping to move up to get one of them -- but so far, the the Blazers haven't found the right deal.
    But let's assume for the moment that Portland does keep the pick. For the past several weeks we've had Brandon Rush in this spot. But the more I talk to the Blazers, the more I think they may not be able to pass on Randolph, a guy with high lottery talent who slipped because teams will have to be patient with him.

PICK
    TEAM
    PLAYER
    VITALS

Golden State

Donte' Greene

Position: SF
    Height: 6-9
    Weight: 221
    School: Syracuse

The skinny: If Kosta Koufos is on the board, his combination of size and offensive skill would be a nice complement to Andris Biedrins' defensive and rebounding prowess.
    If Koufos is off the board, Golden State will probably be deciding between Robin Lopez (if available), Jason Thompson and Donte' Greene. While Greene doesn't fit a need, he may be the best talent of the three. His game is reminiscent of Rashard Lewis, and he may be too good for Golden State to pass up.
    PICK
    TEAM
    PLAYER
    VITALS

Phoenix
    (via Atlanta)

Brandon Rush

Position: SG
    Height: 6-7
    Weight: 205
    School: Kansas

The skinny: The Suns have been eyeing Rush, a college veteran who can step in and play the 2 and the 3. Rush can hit open shots, play defense and stay out of the way of the Suns' stars.
    Other candidates: The Suns have major interest in Mario Chalmers and Robin Lopez, and Anthony Randolph would be very tough to pass up.
    But the future is now in Phoenix, and Rush seems like the guy.
    PICK
    TEAM
    PLAYER
    VITALS

Philadelphia

DeAndre Jordan

Height: 6-11
    Weight: 250
    School: Texas A&M

The skinny: At some point, you feel like you can roll the dice and take a flier on a young talent. The Sixers, who are in the middle of rebuilding, can probably afford to take the risk. Jordan has as much upside as anyone in the draft. He's huge, athletic, and resembles, superficially, Dwight Howard.
    The problem is that Jordan doesn't know how to play yet. He is a big-time project who could take 2 to 3 years to develop. If he turns into Andrew Bynum great move. If he turns into Patrick Bryant ... yikes.

PICK
    TEAM
    PLAYER
    VITALS

Indiana (via Toronto)

Mario Chalmers

Height: 6-2
    Weight: 170

The skinny: The Pacers did just land T.J. Ford but they also know, given his injury history, that they'll need some help in the backcourt.
    Chalmers ability to play both backcourt positions, combined with his defensive prowess, make him a great pick here..

apparently we also gave up our second round pick.

41. Toronto Raptors (via Indiana)

George Hill | PG | IUPUI
    The Raptors need to add a backup guard to replace T.J. Ford. Hill's ability to play both the 1 and 2 will come in handy in Toronto.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 06-26-2008 at 04:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: chad Ford Mock Draft v. 7.0

I would curse the Pacers if they passed on Bayless. I really have a hard time seeing him fall out of the top 4.

I don't see the Pacers passing Bayless myself.

No way we pass on Bayless to draft a stiff that can shoot. Sure, we need some help up front, but our most glaring weakness right now is athleticism, ability to break down defenses with penetration, and perimeter defense. Bayless helps with at least two of those areas. I think he'll be gone before 11, though.

I could also see us taking Robin Lopez at 17 as Foster's eventual replacement in the rebound/defense/hustle department. Bonus for Lopez being a decent shotblocker as well as having the size of a true center.
    Last edited by Eindar; 06-26-2008 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see the Pacers passing Bayless myself.
    Steal Bayless at 11 then draft Hibbert or Lopez or Koufos. Amen.

huh, that's the first time it's been mentioned that we traded the 41st pick away...
    "In 49 states it's just basketball ... but this is Indiana."

I don't think WE pass on Bayless. I keep coming back to the old, "Donnie never does what they expect."

That means it won't be Galinari or Westbrook. Don't want Westbrook - I know nothing about Galinari. But I can't see passing on Bayless. And if he isn't there I think it's Gordon or Alexander. Guess we'll see.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by rousea24 View Post
    huh, that's the first time it's been mentioned that we traded the 41st pick away...
    Its also the only place I have seen anything about it.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3461029
    ...ESPN.com has also learned that the Raptors will get the 41st pick from the Pacers as part of the deal while the Pacers will receive Raptors forward Maceo Baston to complete the deal....

That's fine with me. I really liked Maceo and didn't feel he got much of an opportunity to prove himself with Carlisle.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    That's fine with me. I really liked Maceo and didn't feel he got much of an opportunity to prove himself with Carlisle.

No different at Toronto, but then I don't expect to see anything change his 2nd time around with the Pacers either.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    No different at Toronto, but then I don't expect to see anything change his 2nd time around with the Pacers either.
    I don't think Maceo will get big minutes by any stretch. That said, I hope he gets a shot at some consistent minutes. The one things he's got going for him is our current tempo/style seems like it is more conducive to his athleticism.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I'm still not sure about Koufos at #11, but getting Chalmers at #17 would make for a succesful draft IMO. Any word on why Bayless is free falling?

If we pass on Bayless...Oh man what a stupid move that would be.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    If we pass on Bayless...Oh man what a stupid move that would be.
    I have to agree. This is a guy who plays well on both ends.

I would be shocked if we don't draft Arthur, Speights or Randolph with one of our two picks. We HAVE TO draft a future replacement for JO!
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hate Koufos, love Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3461029
    ...ESPN.com has also learned that the Raptors will get the 41st pick from the Pacers as part of the deal while the Pacers will receive Raptors forward Maceo Baston to complete the deal....
    Losing #41 kinda sucks. I'm cool with having Maceo back, though.

I hope Bird can wheel and deal his way into another pick (1st or high 2nd).

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Losing #41 kinda sucks. I'm cool with having Maceo back, though.

I hope Bird can wheel and deal his way into another pick (1st or high 2nd).
    I was originally upset at losing 41 but I think that's a gimme. Stanko was drafted 39th. You can buy those picks...and chances are that Baston will be better than 41 anyways.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    I would be shocked if we don't draft Arthur, Speights or Randolph with one of our two picks. We HAVE TO draft a future replacement for JO!

I agree. Speights is the most viable option. He has the size and skill to cover what we lose offensively with JO. Arthur really does not have the size. Not only is he Ike length. But he is 220 tops. If Randolph drops to 17 and Speights is off the board, then I would draft Randolph.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I was originally upset at losing 41 but I think that's a gimme. Stanko was drafted 39th. You can buy those picks...and chances are that Baston will be better than 41 anyways.
    Unless White freefalls to #41 (which I highly doubt). Then I'll be upset.

So, we pass on Bayless at 11 only to take a PG at 17? Where's the logic in that?

Mood

Nooooooooooooooooo. No Kousta Koufos, he is a stiff. I really would love to have two kansas players in Rush and Arthur. We need a player like Rush.

We pick Rush in the draft and not resign Kareem, how would that look? woah.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The power forward possibilities make me extremely nervous

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...283&type=story

Finally, NBA draft day is here. After weeks of uncertainty, we'll get resolution Thursday night (ESPN, 7 ET) on one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent history.

Even at this stage, mock drafts are not an exact science. Less than 24 hours before the draft, the teams drafting at No. 2 and No. 3 still didn't know what they were going to do.

Here's our latest take, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, on how the draft will play out. Check back later on Thursday for updates to the mock draft.

Remember, this mock draft is not a report of what I think teams should do. Rather, it's a forecast of what they are likely to do.

To see how the prospects rank, check out our newly updated Top 100.

CHAD FORD'S MOCK DRAFT
    PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Chicago
    Derrick Rose Position: PG
    Weight: 196
    School: Memphis

The skinny: With the first pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, the Chicago Bulls select ...

No one expects any surprises on Thursday. Rose has been the popular choice for weeks and his selection has seemed to be a foregone conclusion for the past two weeks.

I think it's a wise choice. While Beasley is an offensive beast, Rose gives the Bulls leadership, athleticism, defense and a winning attitude. He'll make everyone in Chicago better and quickly help turn around a franchise in desperate need of a shot in the arm.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Miami

Michael Beasley Position: PF
    Height: 6-8
    Weight: 239
    School: Kansas State

The skinny: The Heat have given up hope that somehow Rose falls to them at No. 2. They've been working the phones for the past few days trying to find a deal that brings them back O.J. Mayo and some future cap relief (in particular, they're trying to move Mark Blount). As of Wednesday night, they hadn't found a partner.

If the Sonics, Clippers or Grizzlies can't step to the table, the Heat could take Beasley and trade him to Minnesota for Mayo and a draft pick. The Wolves own the Heat's 2009 first-round pick, and I'm sure Pat Riley would like it back.

But if they can't find a trade they like, the Heat will face a tough dilemma: Whether to grab the guy they want for Riley's system and philosophy (Mayo) or take the superior talent (Beasley).

My gut says that Riley will come to his senses and take Beasley at No. 2. No offense to Mayo, who's also a great talent, but Beasley is the right pick for Miami.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Minnesota
    O.J. Mayo Position: SG
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 200
    School: USC

The skinny: The Wolves remain the most difficult team to peg right now.

They continue to cross their fingers that Beasley falls to them here directly or by trade. If he doesn't, they have some difficult decisions to make.

Mayo has the most talent of any player remaining on the board, but he doesn't fill a need -- the Wolves are loaded with young perimeter players.

It sounds like GM Kevin McHale is in love with Kevin Love, but the Wolves think No. 3 is a little high for Love. So do they try to trade down to get him while picking up another asset? If they do, they risk another team taking Love, such as Memphis. But the Grizzlies appear to be leaning toward Eric Gordon at No. 5.

If he slips past No. 5, the Wolves could make a deal with the Knicks or Clippers to bring back a player, some cap relief or a future first-round pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Seattle

Brook Lopez
    Height: 7-0
    Weight: 258
    School: Stanford

The skinny: Seattle GM Sam Presti is notoriously tough to read, but sources say it appears that Brook Lopez, Russell Westbrook, and Eric Gordon are in the mix for the Sonics.

Seattle has been talking to other teams about moving down a few spots, with an eye toward drafting one of those three. But with the Knicks' strong interest in Westbrook and Gordon at No. 6 and the Clippers looking at Westbrook, Gordon and Lopez at No. 7, the Sonics could lose out on the guy they really want. So they might just end up keeping their pick.

I think Presti's heart is with Westbrook but his head will tell him to take Lopez. With recent lottery picks Robert Swift and Mouhamed Sene looking like busts so far, the Sonics have a huge hole in the middle.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis

Eric Gordon Position: SG
    Weight: 222
    School: Indiana

The skinny: The Grizzlies have also been talking trade with a number of teams. On Monday we reported that the Knicks were talking to Memphis about swapping David Lee and the expiring contract of Malik Rose for the No. 5 pick and Brian Cardinal's awful contract.

However, as of Wednesday night, those talks appeared dead. According to sources, Lee's representatives sent a message to the Grizzlies that Lee didn't want to play in Memphis and would refuse to sign a free agent deal with the Grizzlies next summer.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New York

Danilo Gallinari Position: SF
    Weight: 212

The skinny: OK, we've come full circle.

We had Danilo Gallinari going to the Knicks in our first mock draft, but dropped him when a Suns source said that Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni wasn't a big fan. Apparently Gallinari's workout, combined with some research by the Knicks, has changed that opinion. Gallinari has worked out well everywhere and it sounds like the Knicks are comfortable with him here.

Russell Westbrook is also a strong possibility if he is on the board. Ditto for Eric Gordon. Joe Alexander is the dark horse -- the Knicks' brass watched him work out for a second time and really likes him.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

L.A. Clippers

Russell Westbrook
    Weight: 192
    School: UCLA

The skinny: The Clippers have been trying to move up in the draft to get Mayo or Gordon. There's a chance that they can pull it off if the Wolves or Sonics are willing to bet that the guy they are targeting (see above) will be available at No. 7. If those teams are open to a deal, then the Clippers are willing to trade a future first-round pick to move up. As it turns out, it appears that Love will be available at No. 7 -- and Lopez, too, if the Clippers move to No. 4.

If the Clippers don't move up, they might have a very tough decision between Jerryd Bayless, Russell Westbrook and D.J. Augustin. Bayless is a scorer who could eventually become a Chauncey Billups-type point guard. Westbrook is a defensive stopper whose great athleticism lets him make plays all over the court -- and he's a great team guy. Augustin is the purest point guard in the draft -- he can shoot, he creates on offense, and he wins.

I don't know which way the Clippers will go, but I'm pretty sure that the pick will be one of those three.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Milwaukee

Joe Alexander
    Position: SF
    Weight: 220
    School: West Virginia

The skinny: Alexander is a high-energy forward who impressed GM John Hammond and new coach Scott Skiles with his toughness and grit. That's exactly what the Bucks are going for right now. Hammond wants to change the culture in Milwaukee, and Alexander has that capability. He also fits a need. The Bucks will be shopping small forward Bobby Simmons (along with just about everyone else) hard this summer.

It sounds like Anthony Randolph and Kevin Love are the other two players the Bucks are looking at closely here. But Randolph is further away than Alexander right now, and Love isn't a great fit for the Bucks' frontcourt.

Alexander is still a work in progress, but if he figures things out, he has a chance to be really special.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte

Kevin Love Position: PF
    Weight: 255
    School: UCLA

The skinny: If the draft plays out this way, Charlotte is going to be really happy. Love would bring the Bobcats toughness, rebounding, basketball IQ and the ability to step in and contribute right away. He is a tough rebounder and a skilled low-post scorer, and a Larry Brown type of player -- he knows how to "play the right way." While he doesn't have ideal size for a post player, he knows his way around the basket.

The dark horse here is Anthony Randolph, who is very high on Charlotte's board, according to sources.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey

D.J. Augustin Position: PG
    Height: 6-0
    Weight: 172
    School: Texas

The skinny: If Augustin is the pick, he probably won't be wearing a Nets hat for long.

The Nets appear to have three players in mind -- Kevin Love, Brook Lopez and Danilo Gallinari. If they are off the board, as we project here, then look for New Jersey to make a trade with Portland that would bring the Nets the No. 13 pick, the No. 33 pick, and Jarrett Jack for the No. 10 pick and Maurice Ager. In that case, the Blazers would probably want Augustin.

If that trade happens, look for the Nets to take Robin Lopez with the No. 13 pick.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Indiana

Kosta Koufos Position: C
    Weight: 265
    School: Ohio State

The skinny: The Pacers have been eyeing two point guards -- D.J. Augustin and Russell Westbrook -- for a while. But now that Pacers are landing T.J. Ford, they can afford to look elsewhere.

Kosta Koufos, Darrell Arthur and Robin Lopez are three bigs who could entice Indiana. Koufos and Arthur excel on offense, while Lopez can get it done on defense.

One dark horse is Brandon Rush, a great fit in the type of offense Pacers coach Jim O'Brien likes to run.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Sacramento

Jerryd Bayless Position: PG
    Weight: 204
    School: Arizona

The skinny: Sacramento will go nuts with excitement if Bayless is still on the board here. With Beno Udrih expected to sign elsewhere, the Kings need a point guard in the worst way and would be thrilled if Bayless or Augustin were to fall to them. Bayless could go as high as No. 4, but he could also slide this far.

Another option for the Kings is Roy Hibbert. He wouldn't be an upside pick, but he could step in right away and contribute. They also are big fans of Donte' Greene.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Portland

Anthony Randolph Position: PF
    Weight: 197
    School: LSU

The skinny: It seems unlikely the Blazers will actually keep this pick. They are loaded with young players and have a history of draft day activity on the trade market.

As noted above, the Blazers are quite possibly on track to acquire the No. 10 pick and take D.J. Augustin.

Also, the team has been eyeing Joe Alexander and Russell Westbrook, and hoping to move up to get one of them -- but so far, the the Blazers haven't found the right deal.

But let's assume for the moment that Portland does keep the pick. For the past several weeks we've had Brandon Rush in this spot. But the more I talk to the Blazers, the more I think they may not be able to pass on Randolph, a guy with high lottery talent who slipped because teams will have to be patient with him.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Golden State

Donte' Greene Position: SF
    Weight: 221
    School: Syracuse

The skinny: If Kosta Koufos is on the board, his combination of size and offensive skill would be a nice complement to Andris Biedrins' defensive and rebounding prowess.

If Koufos is off the board, Golden State will probably be deciding between Robin Lopez (if available), Jason Thompson and Donte' Greene. While Greene doesn't fit a need, he may be the best talent of the three. His game is reminiscent of Rashard Lewis', and he may be too good for Golden State to pass up.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Phoenix
    (via Atlanta)
    Brandon Rush Position: SG
    Height: 6-7
    Weight: 205

The skinny: The Suns have been eyeing Rush, a college veteran who can step in and play the 2 and the 3. Rush can hit open shots, play defense and stay out of the way of the Suns' stars.

Other candidates: The Suns have major interest in Mario Chalmers and Robin Lopez, and Anthony Randolph would be very tough to pass up.

But the future is now in Phoenix, and Rush seems like the guy.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Philadelphia

DeAndre Jordan Position: C
    School: Texas A&M

The skinny: At this point in the first round, you can roll the dice and take a flier on a young talent -- especially a team like the Sixers, who are in the middle of rebuilding.

Jordan has as much upside as anyone in the draft. He's huge and athletic, and he resembles, superficially, Dwight Howard.

The problem is that Jordan doesn't know how to play yet. He is a big-time project who could take two to three years to develop. If he turns into Andrew Bynum, great move. If he turns into Patrick O'Bryant ... yikes.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Indiana (via Toronto)

Mario Chalmers
    Height: 6-2
    Weight: 170

The skinny: The Pacers have agreed to acquire T.J. Ford, but they also know that they'll need more help in the backcourt, especially with Ford's injury history.

Chalmers' ability to play both backcourt positions and defend makes him a great pick here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Washington
    Darrell Arthur Position: PF
    Weight: 216

The skinny: The Wizards could lose free agent Antawn Jamison to free agency this summer. In case they do, they might want Arthur, a player who in a lot of ways is Jamison's clone -- a face-up 4 who runs the floor and can score in a variety of ways.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Cleveland

Robin Lopez Position: C
    Weight: 245
    School: Stanford

The skinny: The Cavs need help inside and are hoping that Koufos falls to them. If he doesn't, they'll still do big. Lopez is kind of a clone of Anderson Varejao. But no one believes Varejao will be in Cleveland much longer.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Charlotte (via Denver)

Roy Hibbert Position: C
    Height: 7-2
    Weight: 275
    School: Georgetown

The skinny: Larry Brown wants a center who has experience. Hibbert is a rare four-year senior who knows how to play. Adding Hibbert allows Charlotte to move Emeka Okafor to the 4 spot.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

New Jersey
    (via Dallas)

Ryan Anderson Position: F
    Weight: 225
    College: Cal

The skinny: If the Nets grab a center with their first pick, they might look to add some finesse with their second pick. Anderson's ability to shoot the basketball and rebound could make him a good replacment for Nenad Krstic.

J.J. Hickson is also a potential fit here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Orlando

Courtney Lee
    Position: SG
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 200
    School: Western Kentucky

The skinny: The Magic need a 2 guard and they like Courtney Lee. But they are also very thin up front and could use big bodies to help out in the paint. I hear the draft room is split between Lee and Speights. At the end of the day I think they'll go with Lee.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Utah

Alexis Ajinca Position: C
    Weight: 240

The skinny: The Jazz are always on the lookout for size and upside. Ajinca has been dominating guys in workouts, and as an upside pick, the Jazz probably can't go wrong here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Seattle
    (via Phoenix)

JaVale McGee Position: PF
    Weight: 241
    School: Nevada

The skinny: McGee has tremendous upside. He can run the floor and is pretty skilled. He just needs to get much, much stronger.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Houston

Marreese Speights
    Weight: 245
    School: Florida

The skinny: Marreese Speights has too much talent to slip any further in the draft than this.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

San Antonio

Nicolas Batum Position: SF
    Weight: 210

The skinny: Batum went into a workout with the Spurs on Wednesday and then disappeared off the grid. His medical reports never came out. His agent didn't return calls. I think the Spurs may have wrapped him up.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Portland

Ante Tomic Position: C
    Height: 7-2
    Weight: 237

The skinny: The Blazers will go international here. They've been eyeing Serge Ibaka and Nicolas Batum. But Batum is likely going higher. Ibaka is on the verge of signing a big deal in Spain.

Tomic looks like the safe bet here. The Blazers like him and he wants to come to the NBA someday.

J.J. Hickson is also in the mix here.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Memphis
    J.J. Hickson Position: PF
    Weight: 240
    School: NC State

The skinny: The Grizzlies are trying to move this pick, but if Hickson is here, they should grab him. They need toughness in the paint and Hickson has tremendous upside.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Detroit

Jason Thompson Position: PF
    School: Rider

The skinny: Thompson could go as high as 14. He'll also get looks from several teams throughout the first round. But there's no way he slips past Detroit at No. 29. He's exactly what the Pistons are looking for -- a skilled big man who can rebound and defend.

PICK TEAM PLAYER VITALS

Boston

Chris Douglas-Roberts Position: SF
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 195
    School:Memphis

The skinny: Of Boston's big three, Ray Allen looks like the one who could use the most help. Chris Douglas-Roberts can step in from day one and become an important player off the bench. His ability to shoot and score would be a big help.

• Click here for Chad Ford's second-round picks

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | News Archive | Site Map | ESPN Shop | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information
    ©2008 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08) and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-26-2008 at 10:00 AM.

I really don't think Chad Ford has any idea what the Pacers will do. He was reporting the Toronto trade dead on Monday morning.

There's no way Bayless falls to 12. If he does, our phone will be off the hook with trade offers.

I think there's a pretty good chance that someone falls into our laps that is too good to pass up (B. Lopez, Bayless, Gordon, etc.). I also think that if Love falls to #9, we've got to get him. I'd give up both picks for Love. It also looks like Joe Alexander will be around at #11. If Love is on the board at #8, maybe we can swing a deal with the Bucks.

If you watched the NBA TV draft preview show (which was about 1000% better than ESPN's) you would have seen Jonathan Givony from Draft Express talking about how both Darrell Arthur and Brandon Rush had great workouts in Indiana and how either one of them could be the pick if Augustin were off the board. I think getting Ford takes Augustin off the board. Remember two years ago when Bird had Shawne Williams and James White in a workout together and fell in love with both guys?

I'd be happy, but not surprised, to see us take Rush at 11 and try to grab Arthur at 17. If Arthur's not there, we can get Speights or Thompson or Hibbert or Koufos or Ajinca or R. Lopez or Jordan or McGee. Of those 9 guys (including Arthur), I bet at least 5 will be available at 17.
    Last edited by OakMoses; 06-26-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added stuff I forgot to mention
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie