Thread: The "truth" about TJ Ford's spinal stenosis

Default The "truth" about TJ Ford's spinal stenosis

Thought this might be of interest considering some of the concern expressed in other threads. Not a reliable medical source by any means, but an interesting take:

http://www.realcavsfans.com/archive/...hp?t-1628.html

Default Re: The "truth" about TJ Ford's spinal stenosis

Great article ...

I have full faith that T.J. will be just fine...
    and that he will be a major factor in the Pacer's future...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Good read and glad to see you posting again Flak!!!
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Trust me. . TJ is fine.
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Hello From Toronto.

Want a different take on Ford?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since you asked, No.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Hello From Toronto.

Yes please. The more info, the better.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Hello From Toronto.

Welcome to PD sir. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
    Last edited by RWB; 06-26-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Welcome to PD sir. You're thoughts will be appreciated.
    Thanks man.

On Ford:

First off, he's a good guy. He's tough, he's a good team player. He will not back down and on a few occasions stepped up to much larger opponents sticking up for mates.

His injury is a *****. He isn't going to die, however, he siffers from Stingers, and they keep him out. Aside from that, he's fine.

Calderon proved to be a better fit in toronto. Ford didnt' wanna come of the bench and was quite a distraction at times because of this because he pouted and complained. Its understood though, the guy wanted to play, however because Calderon is such a team guy, Ford looked that much worse and the fans turned on him, we have hockey culture here, and the fans don't like players that mope or complain.

ford is a me first PG and wastes to much time off the clock. He can get his shot off, but doesnt have legit 3pt range. He started to show a bit better judgement near the end of the season, but still had lapses where he would get into personal scoring battles with the opposing PG and it ended up stalling the offence and alienating his shooters, which are amoung the best in the NBA. Calderon in comparison, keeps the ball moving into thier hands. Again, a better fit.

It will be interesting to see how Ford and Granger mesh. As well Tinsley.

what else can ya say, you got a guy that can score in bunches. And when happy, is a great guy.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ford is a me first PG and wastes to much time off the clock. He can get his shot off, but doesnt have legit 3pt range. He started to show a bit better judgement near the end of the season, but still had lapses where he would get into personal scoring battles with the opposing PG and it ended up stalling the offence and alienating his shooters.
    Oh, joy.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I have spinal stenosis. It just means that since the space in the neck is smaller, it would take a smaller injury there to affect the spinal cord than it would for most people. It still would require some significant neck trauma to hurt you severely, though.

He or I should never play serious football with it, but TJ should have no problems.

In my case, I had numbness in a couple of fingers and toes that showed up when I was 25 or so. The docs scared the crap out of me looking to find evidence for multiple sclerosis, which can begin at about that age with similarly minor symptoms.

After a bajillion tests, they found I had a small bulging disk in my neck that might be pushing a little on the spine, causing the numbness. Probably half the people have an odd disk here and there like that, but if their space is bigger, then they never know it.

The docs said they could fix the disk with spinal surgery, but the risks of such an operation were far worse than living with the small inconvenience of a slight "asleep" feeling in a pinky and a couple of toes. I still have some numbness almost 20 years later, it never got worse and probably didn't get better either.

It's not a big deal. The thing isn't going to blow up on him. It's best that he avoids landing on his head, but even that is probably not an issue.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-26-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Judge, you didn't comment on Ford's ability to stay in front of the opponent. Obviously he can't block much, but can he at least keep the man he guards away from the basket? What do you think of his defense?

Tom: thanks for the insider stuff about spinal stenosis. Career-ending injuries are always a bad fall or odd landing away for every player. And many more players last for a long time with little things wrong than we know about, I imagine.

With Ford, we have the certainty that if he's disabled, the Pacers don't have to pay it.
    Last edited by Putnam; 06-26-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

TJ is JT?

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Oh, joy.
    Yeah, I zeroed in on that as well.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    TJ is JT?
    I can deal with a guy that struggles with his game every now and then, or has injury troubles. But when you just puit competing like JT has done many times? I can't stand that!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Judge, you didn't comment on Ford's ability to stay in front of the opponent. Obviously he can't block much, but can he at least keep the man he guards away from the basket? What do you think of his defense?
    He can defend.

Alot of the time he does, he also gives up on plays. Mind you, alot of his defensive laziness came after he was demoted to the bench and started whining a bit.

When he is motivated, he's an above average defender. He gets into lanes and creates havoc well. One downside is that he gets manhandled by bigger and stronger guys like Stuckey, Billups, etc. All in all though, he's good. He's got a great motor. He's not locking anyone down, but at leats if he's motivated to do so, he's gonna be there and he's gonna be responsible.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We won't even notice T.J. getting in to personal scoring battles after Tinsley. It isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    We won't even notice T.J. getting in to personal scoring battles after Tinsley. It isn't even close.
    Agree. Let's not overlook the possibility that he's embarassed by this bad rep and looks at the opp to play with the Ps as his chance to leave it behind.
    Also I don't see ObieWon putting up with it.