Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird: Dunleavy, Granger near untradeable. Shawne, Tinsley on thin ice

Default Bird: Dunleavy, Granger near untradeable. Shawne, Tinsley on thin ice

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...411/1004/RSS02
    The thought of the Indiana Pacers drafting on potential can be thrown out with this morning's trash.

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird said Tuesday he is looking for impact players, not projects.
    Advertisement

"We have to get a player that can help us move this franchise forward," Bird said. "You would like to get a player that can help you this year, and he's going to get better and better so that gives you more options on players if you want to move them."

The Pacers have the 11th and 41st picks in Thursday's draft. Bird reiterated Tuesday he wants to acquire another first-round pick. But there's a stipulation: He wants it in the teens, with 20 being about as low as he'll go.

"Teams are trying to get our pick, swap picks, throw players in it," Bird said. "To say we're going to stand pat at (No.) 11, I can't tell you that, but I like who's going to be there. We have a good chance to get a very special player at 11. It's going to take a lot for me to move back. Moving up, I don't know. I think we can get what we want at 11. We're sitting in a pretty good position."

The Pacers have talked to several teams about trying to obtain another draft pick.

One was the Toronto Raptors.

The teams discussed the possibility of sending forward Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic and possibly the Raptors' first-round pick (No. 17).

Bird downplayed the talk.

"We have talked to a number of teams, but to speculate on trades right now, obviously we're getting close to the draft right now," he said. "There are a lot of things we're doing; it's all speculation right now."

The Pacers have plenty of options because every player except Mike Dunleavy and Danny Granger is available. Bird said it would be "very hard" for him to move Dunleavy or Granger because he views them as vital.

Bird said he has had "enough" of forward Shawne Williams, and they will trade him if they can get something in return. Williams is on "very thin ice" if they can't find a taker for him, Bird said.

When asked about point guard Jamaal Tinsley, whose future with the franchise is just about sealed, Bird responded, "He's just right below (Williams)."

The Pacers' biggest needs are at point guard and in the post. Several mock drafts have the Pacers taking Texas point guard D.J. Augustin with their first pick. Augustin's size (6-0) will factor into their decision.

Bird spoke highly of Georgetown center Roy Hibbert, a 7-2 shot-blocker. Bird likes his experience and said he is capable of contributing immediately.

Bird said the Pacers plan to take the best player available, regardless of position.

"Obviously we would like to have a big guy and a point guard," Bird said, "but if there's somebody else out there that we feel can help us going forward with this franchise and we can't pass on him, we'll take him."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird: Dunleavy, Granger near untradeable. Shawne, Tinsley on thin ice

So, if Dun and Dan are both "near untradable," does this mean they will be our SF/SG tandem for the forseeable future?

Default Re: Bird: Dunleavy, Granger near untradeable. Shawne, Tinsley on thin ice

I hope we don't trade Shawne for pennies on the dollar.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shawne's house may be for sale. FYI.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I just don't know about Hibbert. I like Arthur, but I just do not understand why he's listed as a power forward? He's 6'9" 215 lbs. Doesn't that sound more like a Small Forward? If not, he'll be outmuscled in the post often it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, come on now, tell us more.

Or it may not be. Do you know that it is???

I'm 90% certain.

EDIT: But he could be moving. I'm just saying what I saw. Or rather what my dad saw and pointed out to me as we were on our way back from lunch.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-25-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Ok, I've confirmed it.
    Police say they observed 20-year-old Gary "Little Bud" Bohannon leaving William's home in the 4700 block of River Ridge Road on the north side about 6:00 p.m. Wednesday night. According to police, Bohannon got in and drove a Dodge truck that was registered to Williams and was stopped a short time later and taken in to custody without incident.
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/...illiams-house/

The house we drove by was on River Ridge road. It had a black Dodge truck in the drive way and a black Mercedes in the garage.
    There was a for sale sign in the front yard (Remax was the RE company). My dad had remembered the address from the news story.
    So I'd say theres a decent chance Shawne isn't a Pacer next year.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-25-2008 at 03:01 PM.

I'm 90% certain.

EDIT: But he could be moving. I'm just saying what I saw. Or rather what my dad saw and pointed out to me as we were on our way back from lunch.
    OK, thanks. That is what I wanted to know.

dunleavy is a nice player and all, but not untradable.

Shade, that's the old story about the guy wanted for murder in Tenn.

What is the general feeling on this board about Shawne Williams' future with the Pacers? Do we want him gone / do we think he will be?

Personally, I think he will probably be traded but I certainly am not looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    What is the general feeling on this board about Shawne Williams' future with the Pacers? Do we want him gone / do we think he will be?

Personally, I think he will probably be traded but I certainly am not looking forward to it.
    I don't have any huge problems with Shawne, and certainly would be fine with him sticking around and getting a shot.

However, it appears that people who have more intimate knowledge than me think there are some red flags, so I suspect he'll be gone. It will be ashame, but I don't know that it would be a huge loss.

I'm ready to see Shawne go. He was a bad pick when he was drafted (Rondo), and he still isn't worth the off the court risk he poses.

I have no problem with having players who hang out with murderers. (Although, given our PR situation, it's probably not ideal.)

My willingness to see him gone is that I just don't really think he's particularly good.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I don't want to just give him away. Generally, I think his trade value is probably very low, so I want the pacers to keep him. (of course it all depends on what the P's could get

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post
    dunleavy is a nice player and all, but not untradable.
    Sure he is. Have you seen his contract?

Or was that not what Bird meant?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think Shawne has amazing skills. At 6'9", 225, he can handle the ball, post up and has 3 point range. But with Granger and Dunleavy ahead of him, the benefits of trading him might outweigh his role. He's the kind of player teams crave, so if he's not a big piece of the puzzle for the future, then you look to move him.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

i don't think thats what bird meant, which is scary

Shawne's demeanor changed last season. His off court associations are also questionable and at a time the Pacers can't afford those type of things.

My guess is, Shawne learned the party was over in Pacerland and quickly lost interest. A further guess: He'd rather smoke dope than buckle down and be the player the Pacers want him to be.

The Harrison situation would seem to serve notice that the days of players getting overpaid and automatic extensions have come to an end. That might not sit well with Shawne either.

...Truthfully... when you're hanging out with wanted murders you can probably figure your basketball career doesn't mean what it should to you. I'd think that would also be the picture that paints for the front office too.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

He is not overpaid anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He is not overpaid anymore.
    He's not as overpaid anymore.

He's still a little rich for my blood.

However, where last year I would've dumped him to get rid of the contract, this year I would like to see some value come back if we were to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    He's not as overpaid anymore.

He's still a little rich for my blood.

However, where last year I would've dumped him to get rid of the contract, this year I would like to see some value come back if we were to trade him.
    Hmmm, i have to disagree, based on last year i would say his contract is pretty much perfect. You compare him to some others with similar pay and i am sure you would pick Mike everytime.

Admittedly there are others you would prefer, so yes, he isn't cheap, but based on last year, i think to say he is overpaid is harsh!

JMO
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustler View Post
    Hmmm, i have to disagree, based on last year i would say his contract is pretty much perfect. You compare him to some others with similar pay and i am sure you would pick Mike everytime.

Admittedly there are others you would prefer, so yes, he isn't cheap, but based on last year, i think to say he is overpaid is harsh!

JMO
    his contract would be fine by me if he put up those same numbers on a winning team and wasn't a complete defensive liability