Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beasley not going #2?

Default Beasley not going #2?

From espn.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=3459696

If the Miami Heat's recent activities are any indication, they are not going to select Kansas State forward Michael Beasley with the No. 2 pick in Thursday's NBA draft.

With the first selection, the Chicago Bulls are leaning strongly toward drafting Memphis point guard Derrick Rose. While the Bulls say they won't announce their decision until draft night, Bulls GM John Paxson admits that Chicago is "probably leaning a certain way."

ESPN.com has been reporting since the draft lottery that Heat president Pat Riley has reservations about Beasley. While Beasley is a talent, Riley seems to be uncomfortable with his personality and seems dead set on finding a point guard to pair in the backcourt with Dwyane Wade.

To that end, Riley staged two separate secret workouts in Miami on Tuesday. The first, a source told ESPN.com, was for Arizona point guard Jerryd Bayless. The second was for USC guard O.J. Mayo, who confirmed to ESPN.com that he worked out for the team.

In conjunction with the workouts, the Heat have been actively shopping the second pick in the draft with an eye on selecting Mayo or Bayless lower while acquiring another asset.

If the Heat don't find any takers, sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday night that Mayo was told by Heat brass -- which included Riley, general manager Randy Pfund and coach Erik Spoelstra -- that he is in contention to be selected outright at No. 2.

After the Heat were informed that Shawn Marion would not opt out of his contract, sources said Riley began calling teams looking for serious offers for the second pick.

The Heat then brought in Mayo and Bayless. Both workouts lasted about 90 minutes. It's the second time the Heat have worked out Bayless and Mayo, and according to sources, Riley believes both are special talents.

Bayless had an "amazing" workout, according to the source. He "shot the lights" out and performed even better than he had in his first workout for the Heat. They believe he can be a full-time point guard in the pros, similar to Chauncey Billups.

The source said Mayo was also "great," and in addition to shooting the ball well, he performed well in some of the ballhandling drills. The Heat believe Mayo could be a Gilbert Arenas-type point guard.

The same source said Riley is enamored of Mayo's and Bayless' shooting ability and believes Mayo, like Bayless, can be a point guard in the NBA.

In addition to any questions about attitude, a number of high-ranking NBA sources told Katz that one of the main reasons the Heat wouldn't select Beasley is the hope that they will land Utah's Carlos Boozer in a year when he can opt out of his contract. Boozer has a home in Miami.

With the Heat now identifying two lottery picks that they would be comfortable with, and with questions about Beasley, it's looking more and more likely like they are going to trade their pick.

So the question is ... who is going to win the Michael Beasley sweepstakes? After talking to numerous sources around the league, here are the top four contenders:

1. Memphis Grizzlies

The Grizzlies have a huge hole at the power forward position (since trading away Pau Gasol) and see Beasley as an elite talent to pair up with Rudy Gay.

The Grizzlies can offer a number of deals that could entice Miami. They could include the No. 5 pick, Mike Miller and the Heat's choice of either Kyle Lowry or Mike Conley. Adding Miller and a point guard would allow the Heat to be very flexible with who they draft at No. 5. They could add another guard like Bayless or they could go big with a player like Brook Lopez or Kevin Love.

2. Los Angeles Clippers

The Clippers can offer the Heat someone Riley desperately covets: Elton Brand. A swap of the No. 2 pick and Marion for Brand and the No. 7 pick works under the salary cap and helps both teams with their needs. Why would Riley pull the trigger on that trade now, when he could just make a run at Brand in free agency next summer? Sources said the Heat would like to get Brand to Miami as soon as they can and lock him up to a long-term extension this fall. At No. 7, it's possible the Heat could still get Bayless.

The Clippers like Marion and Beasley, but they could actually use the No. 2 pick to grab Mayo. Mayo has been coveted by the Clippers for a while.

The Heat would have to weigh their interest in Brand against their desire for Boozer in 2009 in this scenario, however.

3. Seattle SuperSonics

Kevin Durant covets Beasley as a teammate. They were best friends growing up and want to play together. The Sonics think he's the perfect complement to Durant. They'd be willing to take back more salary to make it happen.

Sources say the Sonics are offering the expiring contract of Chris Wilcox, Johan Petro and the No. 4 pick to Miami for the No. 2 pick and Mark Blount. The move would save the Heat some serious money, putting them well below the cap in the summer of 2009.

The Heat would prefer Jeff Green in the deal instead of Wilcox and Petro, but it doesn't appear the Sonics are willing to go that far, even if the Heat dropped Blount from the equation.

A source close to Seattle told Katz that Miami hasn't called about a deal as of Tuesday.

4. Minnesota Timberwolves

The Wolves have been hoping and praying that Beasley somehow falls to them at No. 3. While he's not a perfect fit, they could move Al Jefferson to the 5 and have one of the highest-scoring front lines in the league. However, Beasley falling to No. 3 looks unlikely -- unless the Heat do pull the trigger on Mayo outright at No. 2. Can the Wolves put together a package that works if Beasley doesn't fall?

The Wolves have a few assets that could entice Miami. They actually hold the Heat's 2009 first-round pick, which is top-10 protected. They also have a player that the Heat have interest in: last year's lottery pick, Corey Brewer. If the Wolves really want Beasley, perhaps a return of the Heat's first-round pick and/or Brewer could make it happen.

A source close to Minnesota told Katz, however, that the Heat and the Timberwolves have talked but there was no deal that worked for both teams as of Tuesday night. Sources close to both Seattle and Minnesota also said that they would take Mayo if he was on the board when they selected.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Default Re: Beasley not going #2?

I know Beasley is a stud, but can you imagine if the Memphis deal went through? They could end up with Miller, Conley, #5! Possible starting roster: Wade, Conley, Marion, #5 (Alexander, Lopez, Love, Gallinari)

Or they could still go guard with Bayless or Mayo and shore up that position far into the future!

Banned

Good info......but i still think its a smokescreen.

The Seattle and Minnesota trades make no sense at all.

The Clips trade works if Bayless is actually available at #7 but even then, Miami has to feel like they can get Brand or Boozer next year with no comp, so why trade Beasley to take Brand now............especially since marion is included as well.

Which circles us back to our friends the Griz. Conley and Miller and #5 seems like a great deal for Miami especially if they are concerned about Beasley for any reason. But is Conley really the player riley wants at PG ?? And would he still draft Bayless at #5 if he already has Conley ??

Of all those options only Memphis makes any sense. Conley could be traded for something else or kept if the Heat likes him in which case they could draft Kevin Love or possibly Lopez (although I think he goes at 4).

That would give the heat:

Conley or Bayless or both
    Wade
    Miller
    Marion and Haslem
    Free agent and/or Kevin Love

If they love Bayless at 5 then they could trade Banks and Conley to us for Foster and 11............and then draft Hibbert which would probably make for a great roster for the next decade.

Its an interesting debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Plax80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good info......but i still think its a smokescreen.

The Seattle and Minnesota trades make no sense at all.

The Clips trade works if Bayless is actually available at #7 but even then, Miami has to feel like they can get Brand or Boozer next year with no comp, so why trade Beasley to take Brand now............especially since marion is included as well.

Which circles us back to our friends the Griz. Conley and Miller and #5 seems like a great deal for Miami especially if they are concerned about Beasley for any reason. But is Conley really the player riley wants at PG ?? And would he still draft Bayless at #5 if he already has Conley ??

Of all those options only Memphis makes any sense. Conley could be traded for something else or kept if the Heat likes him in which case they could draft Kevin Love or possibly Lopez (although I think he goes at 4).

That would give the heat:

Conley or Bayless or both
    Wade
    Miller
    Marion and Haslem
    Free agent and/or Kevin Love

If they love Bayless at 5 then they could trade Banks and Conley to us for Foster and 11............and then draft Hibbert which would probably make for a great roster for the next decade.

Its an interesting debate.
    That's why life is sweet if you have one of the top two picks. There's really no bad scenerio here for the Heat. *jealous*

Ya, that MEM deal sounds pretty damn juicy. Conley will probably
    never be a star at PG. But he's a winner who knows how to play
    the game and make guys around him better.

As for Bayless, I think that folks are way too convinced he can
    easily make the transition to PG. He may well do so. But it'll take
    him years to get to the point that Conley is in terms of his 'feel'
    for the position/game at that level.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not entirely sold on Conley with Wade. Both are slashers that need shooters to kick out to. Gerald Wallace and Richardson did not work out in Charlotte. They would have to have shooters in the frontcourt (Love and Marion) which could put them as the worse defensive frontcourt in the East. But if Wade and Conley are guarding the backcourt correctly then they may not put those players on an island. Either way Miller off of the bench would really be good for them. If I were Miami I would try to get a Camby/Dalembert/Sheed to shore up defensively.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Pat Riley is concerned about Beasley's character, that's a huge red flag.

What does this thread have to do with the title?

It seems like this is about Beasley going #2 to a team other than Miami. If Miami trades down to #4, Beasley still goes #2.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If the Heat don't find any takers, sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday night that Mayo was told by Heat brass -- which included Riley, general manager Randy Pfund and coach Erik Spoelstra -- that he is in contention to be selected outright at No. 2.
    I would guess that this is why there's a question mark in the title. "Miami not taking Beasley" would have probably fit the article better, but it might not be the better headline to draw attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    What does this thread have to do with the title?

It seems like this is about Beasley going #2 to a team other than Miami. If Miami trades down to #4, Beasley still goes #2.
    That was the title of the espn.com article by Chad Ford when I first read it. They think Miami will try to find a deal they like for the pick, but the article also said the Heat might pick Bayless or Mayo at 2 if they can't find a good trade. I doubt the second scenerio would happen, but that's what Ford was reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    That was the title of the espn.com article by Chad Ford when I first read it. They think Miami will try to find a deal they like for the pick, but the article also said the Heat might pick Bayless or Mayo at 2 if they can't find a good trade. I doubt the second scenerio would happen, but that's what Ford was reporting.
    You mean you weren't trying to pull a fast one on all us unsuspecting forum readers with a juiced up title?

I'll tell you this: I liked the title. I want to give it a Pulitzer.

I bet there's a pretty good chance Beasley goes #2 on Thursday.

Second line.

So, sounds like the rub is, Riles wants Mayo, Minny has nothing he
    wants and moving down below #3 risks losing Mayo to Minny.

I wish we had that dilemma !

I'm really shocked by the lack of constipation jokes.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    How immature.

Not many people get a chance to go #2 on national TV. Beasley just might tomorrow. He's worked his entire life for this. He's been eating right, working out frequently. Once in a lifetime opportunity and hopefully his dreams come true. And we should consider ourselves lucky to see someone - if not Beasley - have such a joyous day in their life getting to go #2 with their family, their country, and even the world watching. It's going to be a moving experience.
    Last edited by btowncolt; 06-25-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

It seems like this is about Beasley going #2 on a team other than Miami.
    I missed this one.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    How immature.

Not many people get a chance to go #2 on national TV. Beasley just might tomorrow. He's worked his entire life for this. He's been eating right, working out frequently. Once in a lifetime opportunity and hopefully his dreams come true. And we should consider ourselves lucky to see someone - if not Beasley - have such a joyous day in their life getting to go #2 with their family, their country, and even the world watching. It's going to be a moving experience.
    nice

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    You mean you weren't trying to pull a fast one on all us unsuspecting forum readers with a juiced up title?

I'll tell you this: I liked the title. I want to give it a Pulitzer.
    No, I don't work for Channel 13.

Is Larry Bird trading the entire Pacers team for a can of chew and a new tractor.............................find out at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If Pat Riley is concerned about Beasley's character, that's a huge red flag.
    Beasley going in the top 2 doesn't appear to be so clear cut anymore. He did move around to quite a few different high schools and it has become apparent he has some character issues.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Beasley going in the top 2 doesn't appear to be so clear cut anymore. He did move around to quite a few different high schools and it has become apparent he has some character issues.
    They said the same thing about Amare Stoudamire. How'd that turn out?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I think it has more to do with need and the value of the #2 pick. The Heat seem to think the best move for their team is to give Wade some backcourt help. I think they're happy with Haslem at the 4, Marion at the 3, Wade at the 2. So if they can get a strong PG and a big man in the middle by trading the pick, that sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

It's two different people. And Amare had D'antoni coaching the team, who has little patience lol
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

2mins-

Yup. Riles knows this is probably his last year in the Lottery and next
    year's draft will be a weak one. If he does a deal, he adds two potential
    starters rather than one. Couple that w/ a FA signing next Summer and
    he's got enough around Wade heading into 2009-10 to keep him in Miami
    long term.

Sports Logo

The Memphis deal appears to be the best one to make them competitors again in the LEastern Conference.

If Riley can fleece the Grizzlies ( which isn't too hard nowadays ) for Conley, Mike Miller and the #5 ( Brook or Love )....then wait til next season to woo Brand after Marion comes off the books.

I would do that over trading with the Clips and hoping that Augustin isn't the only PG left on the board at #7.

As someone above suggested.....a 2009-2010 potential lineup of Conley/Wade/Miller/Brand/Lopez ( or Love ) is a very good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    Last edited by CableKC; 06-25-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods