Thread: Does Brad Get in???

Default Does Brad Get in???

I'm kinda proud of everyone - 23 posts right now in the "all-star starters" thread and I haven't seen Brad Miller's name brought up. You folks may be past that.

So I'm gonna screw that up.

Brad Miller is averaging 14.2 points, 10.5 rebounds and 4.7 assists for the team with the best record in the WC. We all know Stoyko's gonna be selected. What about Brad?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re: Does Brad Get in???

I think he will be. The backup C's selected will be Shaq and Brad.

If there's a 3rd center, Dampier has earned that more than anyone else by far. The Kings don't "deserve" another guy simply because they have the best record.
    Dampier:

11.9ppg
    11.5rpg
    0.7apg

Miller:

14.2ppg
    10.5ppg
    4.7apg

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

oops... i'm the one who voted that brad will go fishing

sorry, it was just too good to resist

anyway, to set the record straight, yes i think brad deserves an all-star slot

That's wierd - I can't vote in my own poll. Oh well.

Personally, I think this is what we're looking at:

The WC has a ton of good PF's - beyond the obvious (Duncan, Garnett, Nowitzki) you have folks like Randolph, Brand and Gasol. I think they'll go PF-heavy and leave Brad off however if Shaq doesn't play which is very possible then Brad would be selected to replace him.

Isn't Brad playing power forward? if coaches stick to that, he won't make it. If coaches think he really is playing center, he will make it.

If Brad does make it, I will have to eat a ton of crow. But I hope he makes it, crow is good for you

Well, he certainly hasn't earned it as a center. He's been playing PF. And I don't think those are "all-star" numbers he's putting up at that position.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brad Miller should definitely get in. He is having a better year than he did last year when he made the East All Star team. Brad's stats are overall better than Dampier's.

Coaches only have to vote for one reserve center, two guards and two forwards and then two wildcard players.

So the coaches will vote in Shaq for sure, but Brad does not have a chance compared to all the good forwards in the west

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brad Miller should definitely get in. He is having a better year than he did last year when he made the East All Star team. Brad's stats are overall better than Dampier's.
    \

His stats from last year have no bearing on THIS year's all star selection.

oops... i'm the one who voted that brad will go fishing

sorry, it was just too good to resist

anyway, to set the record straight, yes i think brad deserves an all-star slot
    Yeah - I thought about not putting it in since it tends to screw polls up but I liked the humor value.

Well, he certainly hasn't earned it as a center. He's been playing PF. And I don't think those are "all-star" numbers he's putting up at that position.
    I couldn't agree more, his numbers are "nice" but came to be in a "situation" not on his "normal" spot.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

\

His stats from last year have no bearing on THIS year's all star selection.
    Well, unfortunately, they matter to the fans, who are still voting in Vince Carter - appearantly because he was half-amazing during the 2000 season.

Brad Miller has changed positions and changed conferences. I don't think he's an all-star in the west - he only got in last year because the league keeps putting a power forward on the ballot for the center position - and the coaches felt compelled to vote in the only two decent true centers in the East (Z and Brad). Although he was beginning his melt down, Artest was more deserving as the "second Pacers player" than Brad.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Well, I could pick a player and leave out a whole bunch of vital categories to make him look better too. Dampier has been dominant at the CENTER position this year. Brad has played decently offensively at power forward.
    Oh come on now, that's just cheap. "Leave out a whole bunch of vital categories"? Please. PF/C, not too far off from one another in this league. Just ask JO. That's the whole bunch of vital categories I left out?

You don't consider points, rebounds, and assists vital? What, does Dampier have like 4 bpg or something?

I have Dampier on a fantasy team and know that he has been far from consistant this Season. He will have a big game than disappear the next. Is that all is fault? No, see Yoa Ming. Brad has been more consistant though.

Don't know. Don't care.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Yeah, maybe ABA has said it best.

Truthfully, although I kinda got into it about Brad vs Eric, I really don't give a crap.

However, I'll be pretty happy for Brad if he makes it 'cause I like the guy.

If there's a 3rd center, Dampier has earned that more than anyone else by far. The Kings don't "deserve" another guy simply because they have the best record.
    The thing is...that's not how All-Star teams have historically been chosen. Coaches have placed heavy emphasis on selecting players from the best teams. The top team(s) in the conference almost always have multiple players even if they are not big time stars (see Smits and Dale Davis joining Reggie) and normally you have to be an exceptional player to get in when your team is losing. Brad being on the top team and Dampier being on the second to last team gives Brad an automatic boost, if the coaches vote like they have in the past.

If the coaches vote like they have in the past, Brad wouldn't even be a possible selection, since he's not a center this year, and there are about 9487429878923 other forwards who should go ahead of him. Maybe that's a little big of a number, but you get what I mean.
    The coaches may or may not view Brad as strictly a forward this season. If they collectively decide to make one of the "wildcard" selections a 3rd center, they could very well consider Brad as a candidate due to center obviously being his natural position and him only playing PF due to necessity. I don't know of any trend in the past that would even suggest this is unlikely, much less make his selection not even possible. On the other hand, there is in fact a trend of the top teams having multiple All-Stars even if there are "better" players out there.

I say it's "unlikely" simply because he's not even close to being a top forward in the West, especially since they can only take a max of 4 more of them. It doesn't matter if he's playing forward out of necessity. The fact is, he's playing forward.
    It is not known whether or not it matters if he's playing forward out of necessity. That is for the coaches to decide if they consider voting in a 3rd center.

I tend to believe that the best team's players should be choosen over players on lesser teams with higher jumps and better stats simply because I believe that winning is the reason we play the games.

By my rational (which might not be the coaches or your rational) it would be wrong for the NBA to not include at least two players from the King's roster because as a team they have played at a very consitant and very high level. That second player might be Bibby, might be Brad but should be there because I believe the All-star game doesn't just reward players but the organizations as well.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

If the coaches vote like they have in the past, Brad wouldn't even be a possible selection, since he's not a center this year, and there are about 9487429878923 other forwards who should go ahead of him. Maybe that's a little big of a number, but you get what I mean.
    The coaches may or may not view Brad as strictly a forward this season. If they collectively decide to make one of the "wildcard" selections a 3rd center, they could very well consider Brad as a candidate due to center obviously being his natural position and him only playing PF due to necessity. I don't know of any trend in the past that would even suggest this is unlikely, much less make his selection not even possible. On the other hand, there is in fact a trend of the top teams having multiple All-Stars even if there are "better" players out there.
    I've read that coaches are instructed to vote 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center.

However, they may define the positions for players in any way they wish. They do not have to follow the position the player was listed as on the voting sheet.

That would indicate that they are free to classify BMiller as a center or a forward, or even a guard, if they are so inclined.

Congrats to Brad. He's having a fantastic season and is a huge part of the top team in the West. A well-deserved honor.

There is certainly a lot of crow being served up today.