Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford's latest rumors. Tuesday 6/24

Default Chad Ford's latest rumors. Tuesday 6/24

Some very interesting comments from unnamed GM's. I personally and without following college ball at all, see a lot of stiffs that are going to be taken in the top ten. I was watching NBATV's 2 hour preview show and got a chance to look at some of the power forwards that are going to go in the first round. (I pray the pacers don't take one of those)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...ftnotes-080624

Heat president Pat Riley, assured Shawn Marion won't opt out of his contract, has explored draft deals.
    It's looking clearer and clearer that the Bulls will be taking Derrick Rose with the No. 1 pick, so much of the attention in the draft is turning to the Miami Heat, who are slated to select second.

Michael Beasley is the obvious choice at No. 2, but the Heat's words and actions behind the scenes continue to point to a possible trade if Rose goes No. 1.

Sources said Heat president Pat Riley made a number of phone calls on Monday trying to gauge what was available to the Heat at No. 2 after finding out that Shawn Marion will not opt out of his contract.

One source told Insider that the Heat are revisiting trade talks with the Grizzlies. Insider reported several weeks ago that there was talk that Memphis would give up Mike Miller, Kyle Lowry and the No. 5 pick as part of a package for the No. 2 pick. The same source said the Heat are asking the Grizzlies to sweeten the deal by substituting Mike Conley for Lowry. The deal would be Conley and the No. 5 pick to Miami for the No. 2 pick and Daequan Cook.

That trade would land Riley the point guard he covets and still get him a high lottery pick in the draft. The Heat would likely choose between Kevin Love or Brook Lopez at No. 5.

While the price is high for the Grizzlies, they have great depth at the point guard position and could afford to lose Conley. Memphis' biggest need is at the power forward position, and Beasley appears to be a once-in-a-decade talent at the 4 -- a perfect fit for a young and upcoming Memphis team.

The Heat are also talking to the Timberwolves, Sonics and Clippers. The problem is the Wolves don't have much to offer. The Sonics can offer Chris Wilcox and the No. 4 for a deal that brings them the No. 2 and Mark Blount. That could save the Heat cap space. But it may not be enough.

The Clippers have a player that Riley covets deeply in Elton Brand. A deal that swaps Brand and the No. 7 pick for Marion and the No. 2 pick could be another alternative for Riley if he isn't comfortable with Beasley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think you've got the Rose-Beasley debate figured out? One respected NBA general manager who's drafting in the second half of the first round said the Bulls and virtually everyone else is getting it wrong.

"Michael Beasley is far and away the best player in this draft," the GM said. "He's going to dominate in this league. How could you pass on him? I know everyone is talking about character this and character that, but come on, he's not a bad kid."

As for Rose, the GM says he thinks he's overrated: "Derrick Rose is a good player, I get that. But he's not a franchise player. I don't think people are getting with Rose what they think they're getting. He's athletic and plays really hard. But he has just decent court vision and can't take over a game offensively."

When asked about the Heat possibly passing on Beasley at No. 2, the GM said, "It's a joke. He's so much better than anything the Heat are going to get offered. I don't understand it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Westbrook

Some veteran GMs drafting later in the first round are scratching their heads at our last mock draft -- especially some of the high risers in the draft.

"Russell Westbrook is a role player who probably is a sixth man on a good team," one GM said. "How has he risen to a top-10 pick? I'd take Leandro Barbosa over him any day of the week. Westbrook is athletic, fast and plays defense, but a top-10 pick? I don't see it."

Here's another GM on Robin Lopez: "Can you name the last time a guy who averaged five rebounds per game in college was suddenly labeled a rebounder in the draft? Robin Lopez is a backup, not a lottery or mid-first-round pick."

Said another GM: "Name one international player who has made [it] in our league who's averaged five points per game or less in his home country. Alexis Ajinca is a workout wonder, but there is no precedent for a player with his poor production making it in the league. He's going in the lottery?"

One potential deal that could have an interesting impact on both teams? Sounds like the Suns and Clippers are talking about a deal that would send the No. 7 pick and Corey Maggette to Phoenix for Barbosa and the No. 15 pick.

That deal only works if Maggette decides not to opt out of his contract this week. If he opts out, Maggette couldn't be signed-and-traded until mid-July.

Batum

It looks like French swingman Nicolas Batum is ready to hit the workout circuit again. Batum's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, told ESPN.com (and every team in the league) that Batum was cleared this morning by the respected Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute.

As we reported late last week, Batum ran into some trouble during stress echo testing -- a treadmill test that measures the health of the heart -- in Toronto and New Jersey, raising fears that he may have a heart issue.

Ndiaye said teams will get a full medical report on Tuesday morning detailing his physical. If teams are satisfied with the results, it should put Batum (who slipped to No. 33 in our last mock draft) back into the first round.

He works out for the Spurs in San Antonio on Tuesday.

The NBA released its Green Room invitations Monday. No huge surprises there. Sixteen players were invited. My advice is that three of them decline. Robin Lopez, Darrell Arthur and DeAndre Jordan are predicted to go anywhere from No. 12 to No. 28.

There's a very real chance that one of those guys sits in the room a long time before hearing his name called. My gut tells me Jordan is the most likely candidate to have a long night in the Green Room.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chad Ford's latest rumors. Tuesday 6/24

after the gasol trade, the league needs to regulate any grizzlies trade.

riley looking to screw anybody he can...

Ya Big Stud!!!!

that bolded text is pretty much what i've been saying for the past year. and yes, the vast majority of the pfs in this draft are stiffs. you have people on here dying for the pacers to draft a pf who hardly played his freshman year, and then averaged just solid numbers on a bad florida team. pacersdigest needs to stop overvaluing decent players who's teams went far in the tourney (arthur, chalmers, augustin, westbrook) and those who were on god awful teams which allowed them to put up the numbers they did (speights).
    Last edited by croz24; 06-24-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Croz24-

You make a decent point (particularly on Speights). But frankly, if
    Westbrook would be only a 6th man on a very good team, that
    might well make him the Pacers 2nd best player in fairly short order.

Seperately, but relatedly, other than Alexander who you've been
    pushing for weeks now and Rose/Beasley, who do you really like
    in this draft that might be there at #11 ?

Mood

croz-

i disagree.

speights and arthur appear to have more talent than a jordan or ajinca or r. lopez or randolph or mcgee...

and we don't need another wing... greene, rush, etc....

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that bolded text is pretty much what i've been saying for the past year. and yes, the vast majority of the pfs in this draft are stiffs. you have people on here dying for the pacers to draft a pf who hardly played his freshman year, and then averaged just solid numbers on a bad florida team. pacersdigest needs to stop overvaluing decent players who's teams went far in the tourney (arthur, chalmers, augustin, westbrook) and those who were on god awful teams which allowed them to put up the numbers they did (speights).
    TPTB appear to be leaning heavily towards a PG or Big Man at the PF or C and unfortunately....we are in the unenviable position of picking the cream of the "we have no idea whether they will pan out or not" crop.

If you were Bird and had to pick...assuming that the Big 5 ( Rose, Beasley, Mayo, Love, Bayless ), Westbrook, Gordon, Brook, Alexander ( or Gallinari ) are gone...which is likely...then who would you choose then?

Obviously we would pick the best player available.....the problem is that the best player available will likely be one of the players that you mention that most of us here are overrating.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    TPTB appear to be leaning heavily towards a PG or Big Man at the PF or C and unfortunately....we are in the unenviable position of picking the cream of the "we have no idea whether they will pan out or not" crop.

If you were Bird and had to pick...assuming that the Big 5 ( Rose, Beasley, Mayo, Love, Bayless ), Westbrook, Gordon, Brook, Alexander ( or Gallinari ) are gone...which is likely...then who would you choose then?

Obviously we would pick the best player available.....the problem is that the best player available will likely be one of the players that you mention that most of us here are overrating.
    I think you have to go either Augustine, Chalmers, Speights or Koufos. I know, I can't believe I just typed Koufos! But considering all that's left, a 7' 1" big man with close to 3 point range isn't bad.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

15 points and 8 rebounds a game in 24 minutes are pretty damn good numbers. That is 22 and 12 per 36 minutes.

Sure there are questions about Speights, there are questions about everyone in our draft range, but The kid has legit size, athleticism, and he produced in college. That is a lot more than I can say for just about everyone else I have heard about us drafting.

oh and Joe Alexander may be one of the most overrated player in this draft. Bringing him to a team chock full of small forwards makes no sense.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I think the bolded part sums up my Westbrook feelings. I get very nervous reading that DW is thinking of taking him at 6. Not sure if I'd feel the same at 11.

Yeah, he's a monster athlete but he doesn't have the basketball skills to go that high - not to me anyway.

Now since DW likes to mislead folks and since Chad Ford has shown himself full of a willingness to be mislead it's probably OK - but I'll be nervous right until we pick Thursday. And if Bayless is still there (which I have a hard time believing) and we take Westbrook I will be very, very puzzled and desperately hoping I'm wrong.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Westbrook will be a 6'4 version of Marcus Banks... Also, the GM who questioned Robin Lopez is right on the money - teams are only interested in him because he seems like a taller Anderson Varejao, but that's not a great - or valid - comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Westbrook will be a 6'4 version of Marcus Banks... Also, the GM who questioned Robin Lopez is right on the money - teams are only interested in him because he seems like a taller Anderson Varejao, but that's not a great - or valid - comparison.
    Who are your top 11 players in this draft?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I think the bolded part sums up my Westbrook feelings. I get very nervous reading that DW is thinking of taking him at 6. Not sure if I'd feel the same at 11.

Yeah, he's a monster athlete but he doesn't have the basketball skills to go that high - not to me anyway.

Now since DW likes to mislead folks and since Chad Ford has shown himself full of a willingness to be mislead it's probably OK - but I'll be nervous right until we pick Thursday. And if Bayless is still there (which I have a hard time believing) and we take Westbrook I will be very, very puzzled and desperately hoping I'm wrong.
    Just the fact that you have heard a lot about Gallinari and Westbrook tells me Walsh picks neither.

I'm thinking you guys end up with Gordon.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

IMF-

I think that DW trades the pick unless Mayo somehow slides
    to #6 which ain't gonna happen. Wouldn't surprise me if he tries
    to trade back a few spots and takes Augustin.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Just the fact that you have heard a lot about Gallinari and Westbrook tells me Walsh picks neither.

Personally, I think it's him or Alexander. Of course if Bayless should drop IMO we grab him - I just can't see Seattle doing that though - unless Minn picks Lopez which would be a bad move but McHale is still the GM, right?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Knicks will draft EJ and the Pistons will pick DJ White.

Why?

Just to **** me off, that's why.

Like I've said before, we're stuck in a bad spot at #11. The difference between #11 and, say, #8 will be much bigger than people think. We're in No Man's Land. Again.

oh and Joe Alexander may be one of the most overrated player in this draft. Bringing him to a team chock full of small forwards makes no sense.
    most who have watched joe extensively this past year at west virginia would disagree wholeheartedly with such an assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    Croz24-

You make a decent point (particularly on Speights). But frankly, if
    Westbrook would be only a 6th man on a very good team, that
    might well make him the Pacers 2nd best player in fairly short order.

Seperately, but relatedly, other than Alexander who you've been
    pushing for weeks now and Rose/Beasley, who do you really like
    in this draft that might be there at #11 ?

It's a good question.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

most who have watched joe extensively this past year at west virginia would disagree wholeheartedly with such an assessment.
    Joe Alexander's a reliable outside shot away from being a big-time player. He may be without it, but if he gets it, look out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah Brown View Post
    IMF-

I think that DW trades the pick unless Mayo somehow slides
    to #6 which ain't gonna happen. Wouldn't surprise me if he tries
    to trade back a few spots and takes Augustin.
    I agree with this - somewhat. I think he'll wait and see how the early picks go. If it's a trade I see us making a pick and doing one of those "trades the rights to."

It's unlikely, but possible that Bayless or Mayo will be there. DW will wait on that.

I think he may also try to trade up. Not sure if David Lee and the 6 can get us up to 3 or 4 or not. I like Lee but defensively he's a tweener.

Banned

I agree with this - somewhat. I think he'll wait and see how the early picks go. If it's a trade I see us making a pick and doing one of those "trades the rights to."

It's unlikely, but possible that Bayless or Mayo will be there. DW will wait on that.

I think he may also try to trade up. Not sure if David Lee and the 6 can get us up to 3 or 4 or not. I like Lee but defensively he's a tweener.
    I thought Bayless was a lock to go 6 as well, but with Crawford and Robinson already there, its hard to see them wanting Bayless or Augustin. It really depends on how they view those two current players.

I'm guessing they would love Kevin to get by Memphis at 5 but will settle for Gianialli when he doesn't.

If Phoenix trades up to 7 I wonder if they prefer Gordon or Bayless to replace Barbosa.........probbaly Bayless.

Milw chooses between gordon and Alexander.......I still think its Alexander.

Charlotte probbaly chooses the player Seattle passes on at 4.......either Lopez or Westbrook.

Jersey then takes Gordon or whichever big they like best.............they could even choose Donte Green if they move Jefferson.

Leaving us to choose between Augustin or Gordon or a big.

Quote Originally Posted by Plax80 View Post
    I thought Bayless was a lock to go 6 as well, but with Crawford and Robinson already there, its hard to see them wanting Bayless or Augustin. It really depends on how they view those two current players.

I'm guessing they would love Kevin to get by Memphis at 5 but will settle for Gianialli when he doesn't.
    I'm still guessing Alexander for these reasons:

-Nobody in NY is talking about him at all
    - He's been in for workouts. Twice.

It'll depend - if Mayo or Bayless are somehow around it'll be different but DW never picks the guy everyone expects.

Walsh takes Gordon, Alexander woulds be a good pick at about 17. Pacers make a trade before the draft (JO gone) we pick earlier.

D-Knick-

I only mentioned Augie because he'd be a great fit at PG in D'A's
    system. On the contrary, I don't think Bayless fits very well at
    all. He's a LONG way from having the instincts at that spot req'd
    in that system.

Banned

I'm still guessing Alexander for these reasons:

-Nobody in NY is talking about him at all
    - He's been in for workouts. Twice.

It'll depend - if Mayo or Bayless are somehow around it'll be different but DW never picks the guy everyone expects.
    He wouldn't be a bad pick. I'm pretty convinced the top 5 will be :

Rose
    Beasley
    Mayo
    Lopez
    Love

So the Knicks hold the cards for everybody else in the lottery.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Plax80 View Post
    He wouldn't be a bad pick. I'm pretty convinced the top 5 will be :

Rose
    Beasley
    Mayo
    Lopez
    Love

So the Knicks hold the cards for everybody else in the lottery.
    NY has needs at SF, PG, and less so, a post player.

Gallinari, Alexander, Bayless, Westbrook would be in play.

First guess would be Bayless. Second would be Gallinari.

PG is very important and I think if possible, they would address that need first.

Guess it could be Gallinari if he is that good and Walsh thinks Starbury will respond to D'Antoni...

Alexander is going to be good. I feel more certain about him than Gallinari, which I've not seen much of...

Bird in the hand is worth....

welcome plax80... you come here from indystar?