Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bird Press Conference

Default Re: Bird Press Conference

Weird not being able to hear the questions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we make the Jermaine for Ford/17 deal I'd like to see us go big with both picks.

Starting fresh next year with a Speights/Hibbert pairing would be fun to watch, and that's the one I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some things I took from the conference.

- I cannot believe how he threw Tins under the bus. "We have a PG for sale. We only have two, so take your pick who it is." Hilarious. It makes me think he already has a deal in place. Why would he take a jab and completely cut down his value if he didn't have something in the works????
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. My wife works for a company that deal with TPTB and couldn't wait to get home to tell me a story she overheard. Don't want to get anyone fired, but I'll bet purdue101 is very accurate in his statement. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to get flamed. Sorry if I'm leaving you in the air on this gang.

- I cannot believe how he threw Tins under the bus. "We have a PG for sale. We only have two, so take your pick who it is." Hilarious. It makes me think he already has a deal in place. Why would he take a jab and completely cut down his value if he didn't have something in the works????
    It makes me think he's been offering Tinsley in trades and everyone laughs at him.

Quote Originally Posted by indyblue47 View Post
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. My wife works for a company that deal with TPTB and couldn't wait to get home to tell me a story she overheard. Don't want to get anyone fired, but I'll bet purdue101 is very accurate in his statement. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to get flamed. Sorry if I'm leaving you in the air on this gang.
    You're lame.

Quote Originally Posted by indyblue47 View Post
    Care to PM it?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

99.9% of the time, what Larry said about Tins would be out of line. But in this case, just imagine the reaction if he would have stated "Jamal Tinsley is still a big part of this franchise moving forward" or something of that sort. Any additional reassurance that Tinsley will never play another game in a Pacer's uniform is good to hear.

I think that his comments about Shawne are out of line.

I thought it was one of Bird's best press conference. He seemed in a good mood, seemed to be enjoying himself
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-24-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    I'm ready for changes in the roster to be made. However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way, for management trash players in the press. It's not professional and serves no constructive purpose.
    I'm on board with that. While Bird may be speaking what he feels to be the honest truth about a player, it is still an example of his lack of class. Very simply, he didn't need to say that.

Hey indyblue47 care to PM the story to me too... please

Mood

Thanks for posting the transcripts or providing links.

After I posted that I got home and just went onto indystar.com

You guys are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    we should be going after the best talent, NOT who we think can help us most NEXT YEAR. that's a very dumb mindset imo.
    Do you not think that the player with the most talent will also be the player that can help the team the most in the next year? Or are you meaning the player with the most future potential, or "upside"?

Wow, Roy Hibbert or Kosta Koufos. I'm not high on either of them even if we would get a late first round pick. I just don't see either being a real quality NBA player. Especially not good picks at 11.

I just hope Bird does some good things on Thursday. Right now DJ seems like the best pick for us at 11 but you never know.

Some things I took from the conference.

- We won't be taking Randolph (Thank God).

- Bird is pretty high on Hibbert and Koufos. I think he has one of them pegged in the late teens with an additional pick.

- Bird has yet to mention Speights, which makes me think he's our guy at 11. Remember, he never talked about Shawne two years ago.

- I DO NOT think Augustin will be picked. We have a trade in the works to get Hinrich, Ford, or Lowry.....possibly Barbosa.

- Shawne could and should be shipped out....Bird seems fed up. I live across the street from Shawne and I can tell you all for a fact, he continues to have random ppl coming in and out of his house at all hours of the night....it's like a 24 hr party. All his pose drive tricked out trucks and sports cars Shawne probably paid for.

- Danny and Dun. are pretty much untouchable unless an unbelievable offer comes our way.
    I would be happy with Barbosa, Heinrich or Ford. My preference would be in that same order, I think Barbosa would really make JOB's offense fly!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

My preference would be Hinrich, then Lowry, then Ford. Barbosa is a different category - he isn't a point guard

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Do you not think that the player with the most talent will also be the player that can help the team the most in the next year? Or are you meaning the player with the most future potential, or "upside"?

Thanks.

There are so many phrases in use:

"best player available"
    "upside"
    "fits our style"
    "most talent"
    "fills a need"
    "best athlete"

Right now, croz24 and others are criticizing Bird for his choice of catchphrase. I'm not sure if that is sensible. We all know Bird is going to choose a player he thinks will help the team.

And we also all know that it is wise not to tip your hand ahead of time, so, whether Bird is putting up a smoke screen or simply lying, he's wise to do it.

We can assess how well Bird does after we see his picks, and after we see those player(s) in a Pacer uniform.
    Last edited by Putnam; 06-24-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    My preference would be Hinrich, then Lowry, then Ford. Barbosa is a different category - he isn't a point guard
    I would make it Hinrich, Ford, then Lowry...and I agree that Barbosa is not a point guard. If you guaranteed me 70+ games for a couple seasons, I'd put Ford at the top of that list. I'm not sure I get the attraction with Lowry, though he is considerably cheaper.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    If we make the Jermaine for Ford/17 deal I'd like to see us go big with both picks.

Starting fresh next year with a Speights/Hibbert pairing would be fun to watch, and that's the one I'm hoping for.
    Bird's mention of Hibbert makes me think it's not him. But apparently he likes Koufos too...

so does that mean Arthur and Speights?

Seeing how Murphy is a bad fit on D I don't see how we would draft a slower/less mobile big to pair with him.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I would make it Hinrich, Ford, then Lowry...and I agree that Barbosa is not a point guard. If you guaranteed me 70+ games for a couple seasons, I'd put Ford at the top of that list. I'm not sure I get the attraction with Lowry, though he is considerably cheaper.
    People get seduced by untapped potential. I think that Hinrich is the best of that bunch, but Lowry could be better than he is now so he seems better to folks. Draft and summer league time is a time when this trend come out in full force.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

mcgee?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    The media is not used for communication between players and management, it's a direct voice to the fans. His comments were to let the fans know where they stood with certain players. I guarantee that Shawne and JT know exactly where they stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    That is what I'm thinking. Walsh would put a happy face on for the public so the players could try and save face. But we've already been down that path with these players. Let's just tell the fans the truth and let the chips fall where they may. If I didn't think both those players were acutely aware of where Bird stood then I might feel differently... but I don't think they are likely to be surprised to hear they aren't exactly on firm footing.

Also, I've absolutely HATED the coddling of players in the past. I HATE making players feel too comfortable... especially when they don't deserve it or earn it. Let the players play with a little bit of an edge, not a sense of entitlement.

Personally, I think a little frankness from the front office is refreshing.

-Bball

These guys are grown men... NOT children! If you keep trying to protect them from what you perceive to be the big bad Bird... they will keep embarrassing this team and city as long as you don't hold them accountable... both privately and publicly...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by vali_31 View Post
    Hey indyblue47 care to PM the story to me too... please
    Me too???

Reporter: So [Stanko] is still in the plans?

Legend: Oh yeah. Oh yeah.

And after actually watching that whole thing...I'm 100% sure that Jamaal never puts on a Pacers jersey again.

On the whole though, I have to agree with UB that that was one of the best press conferences I've seen in a long time. Say what you want about LB's decision-making and talent evaluation, but he certaintly tells you exactly what he's thinking. Or he tells you that he won't tell you what he's thinking. Either way, there's no ambiguity and very little playing coy. I would think that would be refreshing to most people.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 06-24-2008 at 02:57 PM.