Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 121

Thread: Bird Press Conference

  1. #1
    Member Whtwudusay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    McDonough, GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    109

    Default Bird Press Conference

    Did anyone else see the Press Conference this morning? I only caught the tail end of it. Talked about the upcoming draft and current players.

    Some highlights that I caught -

    He said that he wanted to get a player or players that could help the team in the upcoming year. He said that he thought Hibbert and Koufos could help right away, but Randolph would be a player that they would have to wait on. It didn't sound like he was interested in Randolph, but sounded like he likes Hibbert a lot.

    He also said that he thinks he can get another first round pick if they want it. If he got another pick, he would want it to be in the teens - twenty. Was specifically asked about Memphis at 28 and he said that was too deep for him to trade for.

    Said he would have to take a long hard look at Gordon if he was available at 11.

    He said there were four players he really liked at 11 with it being realistic for two of them to be there when they pick.

    He said he wasn't too concerned about getting a point guard in the draft. He thinks they can do some things to acquire a good point guard or two outside of the draft. By the way, he said, they also have one point guard that is for sale.

    Finally, he was asked about Shawne Williams, and said he was on very thin ice. Said if there was a deal that was proposed that they could get something good back, they would consider it. Otherwise, Shawne is on really thin ice.

    More was probably covered, but this is all I was able to catch.

    Edited to add - he sounded really confident that they could get a second first round pick.

    Also, he made a joke about one player - I think it was DJ Augestin, saying that he's the same size as Kravitz.

    He was asked about Lorbek and, I believe, Stanko. Said that they need to make a decision about Lorbek soon. He is developing, but not at the rate Bird would like. Said he is still a good player, though. I think he was talking about Stanko when he said he was developing nicely, and is in their plans within the next three years or so. I got distracted at this point and may have misheard though.

    Finally - he said he thought DJ White and George Hill would be gone by the time they pick in the second round.
    Last edited by Whtwudusay; 06-24-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added more info

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    He also joked that if Williams is on thin ice (and Bird sounded very irritated with him) then Tinsley is below him - as in under the ice.

    Most curious statement, when asked about taking a PG at 11 he said that they have other means to get a PG - at least two. Still sounds like they are working the phones.

    He also mentioned that Lorbek is still not where Bird wants him to be. Not really surprising given the stats I have seen.

  3. #3
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,158

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Westbrook
    Love or Lopez
    Hibbert
    Ajinca
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  4. #4
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most curious statement, when asked about taking a PG at 11 he said that they have other means to get a PG - at least two.
    Must be 2 trade possibilities....

    ?


    ?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    I'm ready for changes in the roster to be made. However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way, for management trash players in the press. It's not professional and serves no constructive purpose.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 06-24-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

    "'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

  6. #6
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    motivation?

    warning?

    an example to others?

  7. #7
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,828

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    So, in other words, Bird likes just about everybody and rules out virtually nobody other than the obvious.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  8. #8
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    SMOKESCREEN!!!!

  9. #9
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Whtwudusay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he sounded really confident that they could get a second first round pick.
    That's because other GMs will gladly give them away in this horrible, horrible draft.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  10. #10
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Transcript? Audio?

  11. #11
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    883

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm ready for changes in the roster to be made. However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way, for management trash players in the press. It's not professional and serves no constructive purpose.
    Unless you trash trash.

  12. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way,
    Hick from French Lick.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm ready for changes in the roster to be made. However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way, for management trash players in the press. It's not professional and serves no constructive purpose.

    Wait a minute. What are you talking about here? Are you reacting to "Shawne is on thin ice"?"

    That is not "trashing" the player. It says nothing about his character. It simply clarifies his status within the organization, which is a legitimate thing for the president to publicize.

    I don't know all the facts, but I dispute that it serves no purpose. It might very well alert Shawne where he stands with the organization. Even supposing that shawne already knows where he stands, a public statement alerts Shawne's posse that things are serious. Even more certainly, such statements as these reassure the public that players' character is issue number one, finally.
    Last edited by Putnam; 06-24-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  14. #14

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Whtwudusay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    He said that he thought Hibbert and Koufos could help right away, but Randolph would be a player that they would have to wait on. It didn't sound like he was interested in Randolph, but sounded like he likes Hibbert a lot.


    Said he would have to take a long hard look at Gordon if he was available at 11.

    He said there were four players he really liked at 11 with it being realistic for two of them to be there when they pick.

    By the way, he said, they also have one point guard that is for sale.

    Finally, he was asked about Shawne Williams, and said he was on very thin ice. Said if there was a deal that was proposed that they could get something good back, they would consider it. Otherwise, Shawne is on really thin ice.


    Finally - he said he thought DJ White and George Hill would be gone by the time they pick in the second round.

    Please not Hibbert or Koufos!!!! Hopefully, a smokescreen. PLEASE!

    PR to appease Indiana and IU people.

    That's better than saying "the PLAYER I like will be there at 11. He's being realistic and open to the fans, and I like that touch.

    I wonder who the PG for sale could possibly be? No doubt, if there ever was, Tinsley won't be back this season, one way or another. I hate to say it, but a buy out is looking more and more probable.

    Well, I guess more trade scenarios on the board will have Shawne involved now! For Shawne's sake, as I said yesterday, he better be working on more than his 3 pt shot the summer. His Pacers future depends on it!

    If Bird is smart, he will trade up in the 2nd or get another 2nd round pick in the 31-34 range for in order to get Hill. Talk to McHale! JMOAA

  15. #15
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,495

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Did he say anything about the players that they've had in this week. Last week it was interviews and group workouts and now it's all secretive, it seems.

  16. #16
    Member Whtwudusay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    McDonough, GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Transcript? Audio?
    I'm not sure if this will work well, but here's a link to the archived video from the Star.

    http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m..._referrer=staf

  17. #17
    It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Transcript? Audio?
    A snippet..................


    Bird downplays Raptors trade option
    By Mike Wells
    Posted: June 24, 2008- A Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird downplayed talk of a trade with the Toronto Raptors and said he wasn’t going to speculate on possible moves.

    “We have talked to a number of teams, but to speculate on trades right now, obviously we’re getting close to the draft right now,” Bird said today at his predraft press conference. “There are a lot of things we’re doing; it’s all speculation right now.”


    The Star and Toronto Star reported that the Pacers and the Raptors have discussed a possible deal to send Jermaine O’Neal to Toronto for T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and possibly the Raptors’ first-round pick (No. 17).

    Bird said he will continue to look for trade opportunities. He said has talked to teams that are looking to swap draft picks.

    "If I get another pick, I'd like to have it in the teens, maybe 20, about the highest," Bird said. "With the situation we're in now, we need somebody who can help us right now."

    He acknowledged Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy are the closest players to being untouchable on the roster.

    He said forward Shawne Williams "is on thin ice" and point guard Jamaal Tinsley was below him.

    Bird still hopes to acquire a second first-round pick in Thursday’s draft. The Pacers have the No. 11 and 41 picks in the draft.

    “We’re talking to a lot of teams,” he said. “We have two days left. Every team you talk to, they have a lot of things on the board like we do. Hopefully we can because I think it’s a deep draft.”

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/80624045

  18. #18
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,622

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    I'm sure Shawne already knows he's on thin ice. Not much harm in saying so in a press conference, plus they need to let the fans know they are taking a harder line.

    And I'm sure Tinsley knows where he stands as well. No harm there, unless you think there's some clueless GM who doesn't know about Tinsley's 'issues'. I bet Bird has already talked to every single team about moving Tinsley. I bet they'd trade Tinsley for anybody who doesn't have a worse contract. ANYBODY.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  19. #19
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    motivation?

    warning?

    an example to others?
    Personal?

    Face to face?

    Like a man?


    I'm with Arcadian, games in the press by either side are childish. If JO was saying this about Larry who would be on JO's side? This is a case of "I don't like them therefore it's okay". It's not. Larry needs to be SETTING THE EXAMPLE, and ripping a guy even in honesty is not the way to do it. Insulting I mean. There are ways to critique a person while still showing respect and being constructive.

    But lord knows it sure boosts the trade value when you trash your own guys like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait a minute. What are you talking about here? Are you reacting to "Shawne is on thin ice"?"

    That is not "trashing" the player. It says nothing about his character. It simply clarifies his status within the organization, which is a legitimate thing for the president to publicize.

    I don't know all the facts, but I dispute that it serves no purpose. It might very well alert Shawne where he stands with the organization. Even supposing that shawne already knows where he stands, a public statement alerts Shawne's posse that things are serious. Even more certainly, such statements as these reassure the public that players' character is issue number one, finally.
    Now your point I get but I don't think we are contradicting here. Making a professional, respectful but serious statement about what the players know are expected of them is fine. I'm not sure threatening them, or joking about it while threatening them (Tinsley) is the best way to deal with people.

    Bear in mind that Stan VG wasn't happy with how TPTB dealt with him. Was that Donnie, respected by many around the league, or Bird, called out JO year after year and has no problem ripping guys publically?

    I don't even think Larry is meanspirited, I just think he doesn't let tact get in the way of his honest opinion.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-24-2008 at 12:33 PM.

  20. #20
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,622

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Oh, the best thing was him mentioning he things Koufos can help us. Now I know we won't take him.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  21. #21
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm ready for changes in the roster to be made. However, I think it is classless, in a steak served on paper plates way, for management trash players in the press. It's not professional and serves no constructive purpose.
    I'm in the boat that thinks what Bird did isn't all that bad, but I completely reject your logic here. If our players want to be treated professionally, they can start acting like...you know....professionals. Until they can manage that I'm fine with players who deserve it being trashed in the press by anyone, including management.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    "At 11, I WILL take a guy that fits (O'Brien's) style."


    15 seconds later:

    "At 11, I WILL take the best player available."
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  23. #23
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    I'm excited about Hibbert though. If there was one player in this draft that I thought was built to run JOB's system it's him. 2nd would be Koufos.

    Bball is rubbing off on me. I'm hoping it offends some people too.*



    * never too early to campaign and sarcasm is a good way to offend some people

  24. #24
    Member Whtwudusay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    McDonough, GA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "At 11, I WILL take a guy that fits (O'Brien's) style."


    15 seconds later:

    "At 11, I WILL take the best player available."
    I don't know if he caught his own contradiction, but he went on to say, as the best available player, he should be able to do a little bit of everything. I guess, inferring that by being the best available player he would naturally fit into the system. Who knows...

  25. #25
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Bird Press Conference

    I'm in the boat that thinks what Bird did isn't all that bad, but I completely reject your logic here. If our players want to be treated professionally, they can start acting like...you know....professionals. Until they can manage that I'm fine with players who deserve it being trashed in the press by anyone, including management.
    Chicken and egg though. You set the standard. That allows you to feel comfortable holding others to it. What's wrong with just moving Tinsley off the team because of how he interacts with people?

    "Revenge" or "Punishment" in the press is not the right way to interact with people. One thing about Carlisle is that he had a lot of tact when it came to public discussion of the team.

Similar Threads

  1. 3:30 Press Conference, What Going Down?
    By Targaflorio in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 12:45 AM
  2. Bird press conference
    By Smooth_for_Pres. in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM
  3. IU Basketball press conference at 3
    By Coop in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 01:36 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
  5. Thomas, Sharpton to hold joint press conference [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 12:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •