Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal heading to Toronto for T.J. Ford, #17 pick. Pacers get Baston, give up pick #41

Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa
    The Toronto Star confirms rumors:
    http://www.thestar.com/sports

It’s all very tentative and quite up in the air but the Raptors have already investigated the possibility of a blockbuster trade that would net them a veteran – yet expensive – NBA centre.

How can this be? I thought JO was a forward. At least, that's what he keeps telling everyone.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TJ's BYC would expire on June 30th...

The Pacers could do the deal with Parker:

Successful Trade Scenario
    Congratulations on a successful trade.
    Due to Indiana and Toronto being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Toronto had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +18.8 ppg, +4.2 rpg, and +7.2 apg.
    Incoming Players
    T.J. Ford
    5-11 PG from Texas
    12.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 6.1 apg in 23.5 minutes
    Rasho Nesterovic
    7-0 C from Slovenia (Foreign)
    7.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.9 minutes
    Anthony Parker
    6-6 SG / SF from Bradley
    12.5 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.2 apg in 32.1 minutes
    1st Round 2008 (#17)

Outgoing Players
    Jermaine O'Neal
    6-11 PF from Eau Claire (HS)
    13.6 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.2 apg in 28.7 minutes

Or, the as I mentioned earlier, the deal could be agreed to today, but consummated in August, using only Ford, Nesterovic, and the signed #17 draft pick (30 days after his contract signing). That would be the most advantageous to the Pacers from a cap perspective, but would require (a not unprecedented) "wink-and-a-nod" deal.

Otherwise, TJ's $8,275 would only count as $4,138 for Toronto's outgoing salary for cap purposes in any pre 6/30 deal. (It would still be $8.3 for us.)
    Parker's their starting 2 guard, they're not going to add him to the mix, more like Baston.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Last I knew, Toronto wasn't going for a half-court back to the basket kind of offensive game either and they seem to think JO can fit in their scheme.
    Sam Mitchell doesn't run as uptempo an offense as JOB, and Jermaine would not be asked to be the primary option on offense. He would likely concentrate D and RBs. Which brings me to my next question. Will JO huff and puff and blow this whole trade down if he doesn't like what his role will be or because Toronto isn't a title contender?
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Yeah, I don't really understand why Toronto wants Jermaine? Him and Bosh really play the same position. I don't see why he would be the one thay make a trade for.

I hope this gets done though!
    SHHHH!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    Sam Mitchell doesn't run as uptempo an offense as JOB, and Jermaine would not be asked to be the primary option on offense. He would likely concentrate D and RBs. Which brings me to my next question. Will JO huff and puff and blow this whole trade down if he doesn't like what his role will be or because Toronto isn't a title contender?
    What choice does JO have? He can't veto the deal and this is not a sign and trade situation. You know what? Screw JO. Who really cares what he wants anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Parker's their starting 2 guard, they're not going to add him to the mix, more like Baston.
    Rumble out of Toronto is that he (Parker) may be looking to head back overseas...

Olympiacos is interested in Raptors guard Anthony Parker. "Its still too early to say anything. I have Olympiacos' offer in my mind, but I still belong to the Raptors so its not easy," Parker says.
    I just have the quote, and I'm trying to dig up the link. He's guaranteed, so it's not like he can just bolt the Raps, but at the same time, they may not think he's a long-term solution.

I would like to see the Pacers take Randolph at 11 and Chalmers at 17. But, I wouldnt be suprised to see Augustine at 11 and Hibbert at 17 if the trade does get done.
    Bambam

Follow me on Twitter @http://twitter.com/brockhubble

toronto won't give up parker too...i'd do this deal, but having two 1sts in the top 20 gives you even more incentive to draft bpa with #11. hibbert at #11 is way too high. same with chalmers at #17.

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan View Post
    What choice does JO have? He can't veto the deal and this is not a sign and trade situation. You know what? Screw JO. Who really cares what he wants anymore.
    He could fail his physical

Which brings me to my next question. Will JO huff and puff and blow this whole trade down if he doesn't like what his role will be or because Toronto isn't a title contender?
    Wouldn't be the 1st time he's messed up a possible deal with his mouth.

The Pacers don't need a guy to rebound and concentrate on D?

I agree that's how JO would play in Toronto and is why he'd be good even though "they play the same position". JO could be the defensive version of Bosh and Bosh is much more efficient on offense then JO.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Because Ford's not the guy he was a few years ago in the season opener.
    TJ Ford was amazing last year alone.

But then he was slammed so hard to the floor that I shouted in disbelief. Yes, he has a narrow spinal canal, but that's no reason to think that he's going to suffer a huge blow like that every year. TJ Ford at 90% is still way better than any point guard we currently have AND any point guard we could acquire in the draft. Plus it's only a few years commitment, which should be just enough time for a younger point guard to develop and take over the job or split duties with Ford.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 06-23-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Banned

Ford is very good, much better than people realize. 12 points and 6 assists per game in just 23 minutes is fantastic production (20.6 ppg, 10.4 apg per-40 minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown View Post
    Ford is very good, much better than people realize. 12 points and 6 assists per game in just 23 minutes is fantastic production (20.6 ppg, 10.4 apg per-40 minutes).

i would take 8pts, as long as he can dish out 10 ast per game, with very little turnovers.
    Bambam

Side Note: TJ Ford has been a main mentor for DJ Augustine during his preparation for this draft too.

Maybe you get TJ, DJ, and DJ White??

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    TJ Ford was amazing last year alone.

But then he was slammed so hard to the floor that I shouted in disbelief. Yes, he has a narrow spinal canal, but that's no reason to think that he's going to suffer a huge blow like that every year. TJ Ford at 90% is still way better than any point guard we currently have AND any point guard we could acquire in the draft. Plus it's only a few years commitment, which should be jsut enough time for a younger point guard to develop and take over the job or split duties with Ford.
    QFT

Rasho and TJ hold down the fort for a year or two for the 'kids' to get ready, and we stay down in the lottery.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    toronto won't give up parker too...i'd do this deal, but having two 1sts in the top 20 gives you even more incentive to draft bpa with #11. hibbert at #11 is way too high. same with chalmers at #17.
    I agree with Hibbert being too high, not to mention I don't want him, period.

If you want Chalmers, 17 is in the ball game for him. Besides the Pacers would only have the 11 & 17 to get Chalmers, and he's not worth the 11 which only leaves the 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    The Pacers don't need a guy to rebound and concentrate on D?
    This is the difference between the 2 teams. Toronto sees JO as a missing piece for a young up and coming team. The exact same JO is the last piece from a team whose time has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    TJ Ford at 90% is still way better than any point guard we currently have AND any point guard we could acquire in the draft. Plus it's only a few years commitment, which should be just enough time for a younger point guard to develop and take over the job or split duties with Ford.
    I didn't say I wouldn't be happy to have TJ Ford. I just said he's not the same player who destroyed us in Milwaukee.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Did anyone else hear Wells on Kravitiz and Eddie show last Friday. He said that he expects Tinsley to be bought out (unless they find some team to take him) but he also does not expect JO to be on the Pacers roster next season. He didn't mention anything about this trade last week, but he seemed pretty confident on the other two things

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I agree with Hibbert being too high, not to mention I don't want him, period.

If you want Chalmers, 17 is in the ball game for him. Besides the Pacers would only have the 11 & 17 to get Chalmers, and he's not worth the 11 which only leaves the 17.

So neither of you have a problem with Randolph at 11? I think the kid has the Bender potential we never got. He is long and athletic.
    Bambam

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TJ Ford can not play 40 minutes a night , thats why you still take DJ Augustin at 11 , two very quick guards to force the other teams defense to get back quickly 48 minutes a night.

This also allows the Pacers to buy out Tinsley's contract.

You take a big at 17 and start building with a 25 yr old Ford , 20 year old Augustin , a young big added .

Nestrovic's and Daniels' 15 mil expiring contracts help offset paying Tinsley to play elsewhere. Nestrovic and a young big allows the Pacers to let Harrison go and still have bigs to play minutes here. Saving 2 mil it cost to resign Harrison ;basicly pick 17's salary.

But without pick 17 I'm very reluctant to make the trade. Even though JO is injury prone Ford is one hard hit from retirement , thus drafting a pg like Augustin is still a must.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I didn't say I wouldn't be happy to have TJ Ford. I just said he's not the same player who destroyed us in Milwaukee.
    He's had the two best seasons of his career in Toronto, post-fall.

14 and 8 in 30 minutes, 12 and 6 in 23 minutes. Great production, and he's great at driving to the basket and kicking it out for the three. He's perfect for our team, and is easily a top-10 point guard in terms of talent.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Did anyone else hear Wells on Kravitiz and Eddie show last Friday. He said that he expects Tinsley to be bought out (unless they find some team to take him) but he also does not expect JO to be on the Pacers roster next season. He didn't mention anything about this trade last week, but he seemed pretty confident on the other two things
    Kravitz has been talking about walking to Carmel if Tinsley's still on the roster, he's that certain. But then going by his previous knowledge level I'm pretty certain Wells has been giving him the inside buzz rather than Bob knowing anything more than Mike.

So Mike thinks this trade is a good possibility and that Tins will not be allowed to return, regardless of what it takes to make that happen. I hate the buyout idea but I can see where a little savings and chemistry/PR improvement might be the primary goal at this point.

If this isn't the JO deal you have to assume other teams have noticed and know the price for JO.

Another option is to agree to the deal, but consummate it after the draft. That way, the contract of the #17 pick (probably about $1.5mm, first year) could be used to match the salaries.
    This would be my guess at how it might go down.

Chalmers at 17 please. There's your 6'1 190 PG who won't have the same size issues that DJ would, gives you some variety at PG with Ford/Diener as the other style. Chalmers can swing to SG at times in terms of offense. That lets you get a solid big at 11 which is what they want I think. I hope its not Koufos, maybe it's really Arthur or perhaps Speights.

Mario and Arthur certainly no how to work the PnR together.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-23-2008 at 01:53 PM.

I still wouldn't bet on Randolph, even though a trade like this let's you consider swinging for the fences.

I'm thinking B Rush or Chalmers and a Lopez. If Brook drops at 11 or if his brother at 17 if he doesn't. Then you move Jeff while you still can and get another 1st rounder in this years draft and get a Deandre Jordan in the 20s.