Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal heading to Toronto for T.J. Ford, #17 pick. Pacers get Baston, give up pick #41

Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, theoretically, it's:

TJ Ford (3yrs 24.8mm)
    Rasho Nesterovic (1 yr, 8.4mm)
    #17 (Hopefully)

for

JO (2yrs, 44.4mm)

The Raps would have to add about $0.5mm in salaries to make the deal work, and the only guy they have like that is Jamario Moon, but I'm unsure as to how they'd feel about him as a throw in. They could also throw in the $1.9mm contract of Maceo Baston.

Another option is to agree to the deal, but consummate it after the draft. That way, the contract of the #17 pick (probably about $1.5mm, first year) could be used to match the salaries.

I know Ford is a risk, but I like this deal if the #17 is included. It gives us relatively young point guard (albeit with injury issues), but he has played over 70 games in the two years prior to this.

Nesterovic is a nice size expiring, plus a serviceable big man that can play a little defense.

A second 1st round draft pick in the area where there are a lot of players that we like.

It also could get us under the luxury tax next year and clear about $12-13 million in salaries for the 2009-2010 season.

I like this deal...a lot...if the 1st rounder is there.
    I agree. Without the #17 it would be a little hard to swallow. But like a previous poster pointed out, #11 and #17 could end up being Speights/Chalmers or any other combo of solid prospects.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Gordon or at 11.
    and
    Best big man available at 17.

or

Best big man availble at 11.
    and
    Rush () at 17
    That's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't think that's legal. You can't trade someone you just signed to a contract like that IIRC.
    You have to wait 30 days for rookie contracts. So, say he's signed to the rookie scale contract on 7/1, then he could be dealt on 7/31.

It's actually how the Bender deal went down, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7 View Post
    Filler could be Bargnani. Former #1 pick, shooting big man, compared to Dirk. You KNOW Bird likes that....
    I'd MUCH rather have Parker than Bargnani.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't care if the pacers make this trade, if a point guard is there at 11 and if the scouts and Bird think he is the best player available, they need to take him.

On the filler:

On the good side, it could be Moon ($0.8) or Baston ($1.9), both expiring. They only need $0.5mm to make the deal work.

I don't think they move a Garbajosa or Parker as filler because (a) they're expiring and (b) they are contributors. I also don't think Bargnani would be in play, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

On the bad side, they could try to foist Kapono on us (3 yrs, 18mm-ish), which would torpedo a good portion of the financial benefit.

I think, most likely, it will be Moon or Baston, though.

I'm really hoping there's some fire to this smoke.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't care if the pacers make this trade, if a point guard is there at 11 and if the scouts and Bird think he is the best player available, they need to take him.
    The chances of the BPA at 11 being a point guard right now are slim and none.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'd MUCH rather have Parker than Bargnani.
    I would go for Bargnani. Sure, hasn't shown that much yet, but he's a big and those take time and I'm sure the talent evaluators saw more then enough things to give him a high ranking on the draftboards everywhere. Patience is a virtue
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I would go for Bargnani. Sure, hasn't shown that much yet, but he's a big and those take time and I'm sure the talent evaluators saw more then enough things to give him a high ranking on the draftboards everywhere. Patience is a virtue
    Not to mention, he'd be easy to pawn off on someone else as well.

I really hope that if a JO deal is gonna happen, it just happens and doesn't drag on like the Al trade.

I really hope that if a JO deal is gonna happen, it just happens and doesn't drag on like the Al trade.

If something like this does indeed go down, the Pacers would be swimming with expiring contracts. Foster, Diogu, Daniels, Nesterovic, another Toronto player, Graham. They're all different sizes, too.

Some of them need to expire to extend Granger, but there's enough there to make a run at someone at the trade deadline.

Sure, hasn't shown that much yet, but he's a big and those take time and I'm sure the talent evaluators saw more then enough things to give him a high ranking on the draftboards everywhere.
    He's shown talent. What he hasn't shown is toughness.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The Toronto Star confirms rumors:
    http://www.thestar.com/sports

It’s all very tentative and quite up in the air but the Raptors have already investigated the possibility of a blockbuster trade that would net them a veteran – yet expensive – NBA centre.

According to league sources, Toronto has had talks with the Indiana Pacers about acquiring 29-year-old Jermaine O’Neal for a package that would include T.J. Ford, Rasho Nestervoic and, perhaps, the 17th pick in this week’s draft.

The talks are not the point where any deal is imminent and a deal is certainly not assured but the source said the Raptors are aggressively trying to move Ford and O’Neal is one of their targets.

Toronto also still has serious interest in forward Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns and is in talks with at least three other teams for trades of a similar magnitude.

O’Neal is coming off an injury-riddled season in which he played just 42 games and averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. The 6-11 centre has been working out in Las Vegas since just after the 2007-08 season ended and according to reports has just begun full-court work.

Obtaining O’Neal will be a huge two-year financial commitment for the Raptors. He’s due to make about $21 million (all figures U.S.) this season and $23 million in 2009-10. To make the trade work under NBA salary cap rules, Toronto would have to add some other pieces in addition to Ford and Nesterovic but they have several less expensive expiring contracts that would make it work.

But even if the O’Neal trade doesn’t materialize, it does signal just how hard the Raptors are trying to move Ford so they can hand over the starting point guard job to restricted free agent Jose Calderon.

With Phoenix still in the mix and the other teams having talks with Toronto, it would appear Bryan Colangelo will have plenty of options to sift through before Thursday’s draft.

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    The Toronto Star confirms rumors:
    http://www.thestar.com/sports

It’s all very tentative and quite up in the air but the Raptors have already investigated the possibility of a blockbuster trade that would net them a veteran – yet expensive – NBA centre.

According to league sources, Toronto has had talks with the Indiana Pacers about acquiring 29-year-old Jermaine O’Neal for a package that would include T.J. Ford, Rasho Nestervoic and, perhaps, the 17th pick in this week’s draft.

The talks are not the point where any deal is imminent and a deal is certainly not assured but the source said the Raptors are aggressively trying to move Ford and O’Neal is one of their targets.

Toronto also still has serious interest in forward Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns and is in talks with at least three other teams for trades of a similar magnitude.

O’Neal is coming off an injury-riddled season in which he played just 42 games and averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. The 6-11 centre has been working out in Las Vegas since just after the 2007-08 season ended and according to reports has just begun full-court work.

Obtaining O’Neal will be a huge two-year financial commitment for the Raptors. He’s due to make about $21 million (all figures U.S.) this season and $23 million in 2009-10. To make the trade work under NBA salary cap rules, Toronto would have to add some other pieces in addition to Ford and Nesterovic but they have several less expensive expiring contracts that would make it work.

But even if the O’Neal trade doesn’t materialize, it does signal just how hard the Raptors are trying to move Ford so they can hand over the starting point guard job to restricted free agent Jose Calderon.

With Phoenix still in the mix and the other teams having talks with Toronto, it would appear Bryan Colangelo will have plenty of options to sift through before Thursday’s draft.
    Whats a centre? Freakin' syrup drinkers.

Anyways, there definetely appears to be some fire here.

He's shown talent. What he hasn't shown is toughness.
    True, but maybe give the young man a little time. Dirk took awhile, Rik took awhile. I think they both panned out well. Not saying Bargnani will be nearly as good as them just that big men take more time to develop and it seems especially if they are Euro's.

I really like TJ, you just wonder about durability at his size. But he has to be one of the quickest guys in the league.

Rasto is good in an uptempo offense, but he's more valuable as that expiring contract.

17 pick is what I'm really excited about, you get something nice there this year, maybe thats Ajinca or a Speight/Arthur.

If you have the 11 and 17 you can really do alot of things, maybe even move up. The very least I think in this draft you can get two rotation quality guys down the line.

I think this is either almost true, or maybe it's last call.

Give us your best trade offer now because we are moving JO Thursday, no more BS trade offers.

Whats a centre? Freakin' syrup drinkers.

Anyways, there definetely appears to be some fire here.
    I love syrup ay

True, but maybe give the young man a little time. Dirk took awhile, Rik took awhile. I think they both panned out well. Not saying Bargnani will be nearly as good as them just that big men take more time to develop and it seems especially if they are Euro's.
    Bargnani seems more like Tskitishvili than Nowitski.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Star View Post
    Perhaps? Without the pick, the deal isn't worth anything.

If we're desperate to move one player, it should be Tinsley, not Jermaine.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I really like TJ, you just wonder about durability at his size. But he has to be one of the quickest guys in the league.

Rasto is good in an uptempo offense, but he's more valuable as that expiring contract.

17 pick is what I'm really excited about, you get something nice there this year, maybe thats Ajinca or a Speight/Arthur.

If you have the 11 and 17 you can really do alot of things, maybe even move up. The very least I think in this draft you can get two rotation quality guys down the line.

I think this is either almost true, or maybe it's last call.

Give us your best trade offer now because we are moving JO Thursday, no more BS trade offers.
    Would combining a only just gained #17 pick with our #41 pick to get a little better pick (#12-#14 for example) be "legal" and/or would it be worth it? How much could we maybe move up?

Mood

God that was awful.

Perhaps? Without the pick, the deal isn't worth anything.

If we're desperate to move one player, it should be Tinsley, not Jermaine.
    I totally aggree with the above.

Bargnani seems more like Tskitishvili than Nowitski.
    Well Dirk wasn't that great when he came into the league either . I think he will be a nice center actually. Not a Bynum or something, but subtop at his position at worst.

Just my offcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    God that was awful.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I could maintain my sanity if that happens again. My work performance is already at an all time low.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Please let it be true and let it actually happen.
    This was my initial gut reaction.