Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 762

Thread: Jermaine O'Neal heading to Toronto for T.J. Ford, #17 pick. Pacers get Baston, give up pick #41

  1. #1
    It's my opinion, relax! Vince Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    143

    Default Jermaine O'Neal heading to Toronto for T.J. Ford, #17 pick. Pacers get Baston, give up pick #41

    Here is the big news as of Wednesday evening. Once you're done reading, you can catch up on the reactions starting from when this updated story broke on page 15:

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...=39769&page=15

    Here's the news:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

    By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

    Yahoo! Sports

    NEW YORK – After on-and-off again negotiations, the Indiana Pacers have agreed in principle to send six-time All-Star Jermaine O’Neal to the Toronto Raptors for point guard T.J. Ford and the 17th pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, a league executive said Wednesday.

    After nearly completing the deal earlier in the week, Pacers and Raptors officials needed to exchange more medical information on O’Neal’s left knee and Ford’s neck before finding a comfort level with the trade. It is believed both sides now are comfortable making the deal, though the trade won’t be complete until both O’Neal and Ford pass their physicals.

    Toronto also will send Rasho Nesterovic and another role player to match up with O’Neal’s salary. O’Neal is owed $44 million over the next two seasons. He played just 42 games for Indiana a year ago with a left knee injury. O’Neal has expressed a desire to leave the Pacers for a contender.

    Ford, who has a history of neck injuries, became expendable when Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo decided that he wanted to make Jose Calderon the franchise’s future at point guard.

    Ford was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, a condition that narrows the openings the spinal cord runs through. He missed the 2004-05 season with the Bucks following neck surgery, and missed 13 games with a neck injury last season after Atlanta’s Al Horford leveled him on a breakaway layup. Ford has $25 million and two years left on his contract. Indiana had been searching for a point guard and Ford takes the job now.

    Calderon is a restricted free agent, and Colangelo has insisted that he’ll match any offer for him. Clearly, the Raptors will belong to him now.

    The Pacers would now hold the 11th and 17th picks in the draft.

    ================================================== ======

    Pacers, Toronto talk about trading O'Neal
    By Mike Wells
    Posted: June 23, 2008- The Indiana Pacers and Jermaine O'Neal could be parting ways in the near future.

    The Pacers and Toronto Raptors have discussed a possible deal with O'Neal going north of the border with point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic coming to Indiana, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The deal may also include Toronto's first-round pick (No. 17) in Thursday's draft.


    The Raptors will have to throw in at least one other player to make the deal work financially.

    An issue that could hold up the deal is O'Neal's left knee. O'Neal, who has dealt with injuries the past four seasons, played just 42 games last season. Pacers officials, however, recently said O'Neal's knee is healthy. The six-time All-Star is spending the summer working out in Las Vegas.

    Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/806230395
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-26-2008 at 11:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Please let it be true and let it actually happen.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,984

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    I'm all for trading JO and I like getting the 17th pick. But I have no interest in Rasho and only have mild interest in Ford. You cannot win a championship or get close with Ford as your starting point guard (although he probably fits pretty well into O'Brien's offensive system). And if we draft Augustin, they we have 3 very small point guards. Diener, Ford and Augustin

    Rasho is in the last year of his contract. 8.4m
    Ford has three years left. 8.0 - 8.5 - 8.5.

    I'm not saying I wouldn't do this trade, but I'm not too excited about it. Probably the most we could get for JO though. I do question why the Raptors do this trade. I know they really, really, really want some help for Bosh inside (the Magic dominated them in the playoffs inside) so I guess that is what they are looking for.

    Interesting that Wells just updated this (it wasn't in the print addition) so he must think it is something that needs to be up on the website fast. That means to me it carries a little more weight
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-23-2008 at 10:54 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Could we have Christmas in June. To get rid of JO I would do almost anything

  5. #5
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,413

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Makes sense. They'd have to worry about J.O.'s knee, and we'd have to worry about Ford's back. I think it's a good deal. But man, if J.O. plays at least 70 games next to Chris Bosh...

  6. #6
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    This is a deal I could definitely live with. Rasho comes off the books soon, so we have some money to resign our own players. Ford though risky is IMO a better risk then taking on Livingston, even though his salary is also much bigger. Still I can see him beying pretty decent and you don't have perfect trades in this sort of thing. Best offer IF true and depending on the player that makes it work financially (both in quality and length of contract).

    Pretty decent midrange pick aswell.

    I could definitely live with this trade.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  7. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    I saw yesterday on ESPN that Phoenix was considering Diaw for TJ Ford. So if JO has Boris Diaw type value, well, yeah I don't think there is really anything else you can say.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for trading JO and I like getting the 17th pick. But I have no interest in Rasho and only have mild interest in Ford. You cannot win a championship or get close with Ford as your starting point guard. And if we draft Augustin, they we have 3 very small point guards. Diener, Ford and Augustin

    Rasho is in the last year of his contract. 8.4m
    Ford has three years left. 8.0 - 8.5 - 8.5.

    I'm not saying I wouldn't do this trade, but I'm not too excited about it. Probably the most we could get for JO though. I do question why the Raptors do this trade. I know they really, really, really want some help for Bosh inside (the Magic dominated them in the playoffs inside) so I guess that is what they are looking for.

    Interesting that Wells just updated this (it wasn't in the print addition) so he must think it is something that needs to be up on the website fast. That means to me it carries a little more weight
    The Celtics won a title with Rondo at point, so I wouldn't say never. Ford is solid.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-23-2008 at 10:54 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. #9
    Member Mr. Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    704

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Makes sense. They'd have to worry about J.O.'s knee, and we'd have to worry about Ford's back. I think it's a good deal. But man, if J.O. plays at least 70 games next to Chris Bosh...

    If im thinking correctly here- if Ford's career is ended because of his spinal stenosis, his salary comes off of our books through a league insurance policy. I think it would make sense for both teams.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But man, if J.O. plays at least 70 games next to Chris Bosh...
    ....Then hell freezes over?
    ....pigs fly?
    .....frogs rain down?

  11. #11
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw yesterday on ESPN that Phoenix was considering Diaw for TJ Ford. So if JO has Boris Diaw type value, well, yeah I don't think there is really anything else you can say.
    I think it was the other way around. Toronto considering Diaw for Ford and Phoenix not beying enthousiastic about it. Could be wrong offcourse though.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  12. #12
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Wait, we can't trade JO til after a certain date anyway right? So I think these rumors with picks involved are probably a whole lotta crap.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. #13
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it was the other way around. Toronto considering Diaw for Ford and Phoenix not beying enthousiastic about it. Could be wrong offcourse though.
    Either way, JO has similar value to Boris "I eat croissants all offseason" Diaw.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Eh.. An interesting deal, I guess. Sure doesn't thrill me, but I wouldn't PFFL either. Not sure I wouldn't rather just wait JO out.

    EDIT: Although I'm looking at salaries for Toronto and Parker would finish the trade nicely. Jermaine for Parker/Rasho/Chalmers? We could do worse.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-23-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  15. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, we can't trade JO til after a certain date anyway right?
    Wrong.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #16
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,359
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Were this still the DW/Bunny era I'd say this was the formal "hint" to expect the announcement at any time. But in the new era, I'm not so certain...but I'm guessing it is soon to happen officially.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  17. #17
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Hah.

    I'd like this trade if for no other reason it gets my Dad very upset. I have to hear him joke about JO's injury problems, inconsistency, and albatross contract on a daily basis. He would absolutely go on suicide watch if JO was in a Raptors uniform. I don't see JO fitting in well with the Raptors offense.

  18. #18
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,916

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    God, what a terrible trade. Honestly, if that's all that's getting offered up for JO, I'll take my chances on him this year. T.J. Ford is not a long term answer at PG and while Rasho is a nice expiring, I'd want at least one more actual talented player in that deal.

    I'm liking Z/Varejao/19 much more than Rasho/Ford/17.

  19. #19
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,984

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Celtics won a title with Rondo at point, so I wouldn't say never. Ford is solid.
    That is a good point. But we don't have any players as good as any of the Celtics big three. (I would rather have Rondo over Ford anyways) Ford is a defensive liability, although he isn't terrible defensively (better than Deener and Tinsley) I guess, he can push the ball, for sure and he can create for teammates, can get into the lane.

  20. #20
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,984

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    God, what a terrible trade. Honestly, if that's all that's getting offered up for JO, I'll take my chances on him this year. T.J. Ford is not a long term answer at PG and while Rasho is a nice expiring, I'd want at least one more actual talented player in that deal.
    I agree although the trade isn't terrible. Depends who they can get at 17. The trade might depend on who is still available at 17

  21. #21
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,916

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Celtics won a title with Rondo at point, so I wouldn't say never. Ford is solid.
    I like Ford's talent but that degenerative spine condition he has makes it seem that he won't last more than five more injury riddled seasons in the league. It's really unfortunate for TJ, too, he's a good player, but I don't want another injury prone guy on the team.

  22. #22
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,916

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree although the trade isn't terrible. Depends who they can get at 17. The trade might depend on who is still available at 17
    That would be the only saving grace for me. If we end up with Ford/Chalmers/Rasho/Speights as a result of the trade and the draft I don't think that would be too disappointing.

    Any trade rumor like this just makes me validate myself that the Pacers won't draft D.J. Augustin.

  23. #23
    Lifer 2minutes twowa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Middletown, IN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    618

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    This would be GREAT! I love TJ Ford's game. And Rasho is a legit 7 footer that would be a nice complement to Foster. I just don't know why Toronto would do this deal. If JO is healthy, he would be a great defensive complement to Bosh. (BIG IF) He wouldn't have to score 20+ points a game, he could focus on defense and rbs.

    The Pacers could end up with Ford, Rasho, player TBD, #17?

    And all they have to give is JO? Sounds great and too good to be true.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

  24. #24
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for trading JO and I like getting the 17th pick. But I have no interest in Rasho and only have mild interest in Ford. You cannot win a championship or get close with Ford as your starting point guard (although he probably fits pretty well into O'Brien's offensive system). And if we draft Augustin, they we have 3 very small point guards. Diener, Ford and Augustin

    Rasho is in the last year of his contract. 8.4m
    Ford has three years left. 8.0 - 8.5 - 8.5.

    I'm not saying I wouldn't do this trade, but I'm not too excited about it. Probably the most we could get for JO though. I do question why the Raptors do this trade. I know they really, really, really want some help for Bosh inside (the Magic dominated them in the playoffs inside) so I guess that is what they are looking for.

    Interesting that Wells just updated this (it wasn't in the print addition) so he must think it is something that needs to be up on the website fast. That means to me it carries a little more weight
    1. This should be one more reason NOT to draft Augustin, because as you say it would mean having three small, but OTOH also very very fast (probably the fastest in the league) PG's, who could get physically abused during the playoffs. I don't see that happenning, but stranger things have occured. Likelier seems we draft two bigs (unless Gordon is around our pick) or shop a collection of first and second round picks to move up or down, loads of sudden flexibility there.

    2. I don't see our team as a championship contender in the next three years unless we draft a superstar this year or next year (and then still have a hard time believing it), so I'm not too worried about having Ford as a PG in the meantime.

    3. I think Toronto does it because of the inside prescence JO brings and if he doesn't work out too well he will come of there salarybalance fairly quickly or hope on resigning him for peanuts if it does work. They solve their problem of finding suitors for both Rasho and Ford.

    4. I hope the added guy won't be Jason Kapono (though JOB probably loves him and his shooting). Praying that that won't work salary wise...

    Regards,

    Mourning
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-23-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  25. #25
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Wells: JO to Toronto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a deal I could definitely live with. Rasho comes off the books soon, so we have some money to resign our own players. Ford though risky is IMO a better risk then taking on Livingston, even though his salary is also much bigger. Still I can see him beying pretty decent and you don't have perfect trades in this sort of thing. Best offer IF true and depending on the player that makes it work financially (both in quality and length of contract).

    Pretty decent midrange pick aswell.

    I could definitely live with this trade.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    I agree.

    Is this the first time Mike Wells has reported a possible trade like this? I don't remember the last time he did. Hopefully that means it's more likely.

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  2. Ford releases Mock 6.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
  3. Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 5
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 08:27 AM
  5. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 3
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •