Thread: Scott Kalitta Dies In Drag Racing Accident

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Scott Kalitta Dies In Drag Racing Accident

Last edited by Hoop; 06-21-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Scott Kalitta Dies In Funny Car Accident

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

KALITTA MOTORSPORTS
    Media Contact: Todd Myers

Scott Kalitta succumbs to injuries suffered in qualifying incident

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J., (June 21, 2008 - Scott Kalitta, a two-time former NHRA Top Fuel champion and one of just 14 drivers to have won in both of NHRA's nitro categories, died June 21, 2008, as the result of injuries suffered in a qualifying accident at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J., during the running of the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals. He was 46.

Kalitta, the son of legendary Top Fuel and Funny Car racer Connie Kalitta, began his career in Alcohol Dragsters and reached his first final round at the 1982 Southern Nationals. He scored his first of what would be 18 career Professional victories six year later, in Funny Car, at the 1989 event in Houston. He later switched to Top Fuel, and joined the dual-fuel club with his first nitro dragster victory, in Topeka, in 1993. At that event, he also recorded the then-fastest speed in NHRA history (308.64 mph) at Topeka. Earlier that year, he had become the fourth member of the Slick 50 300-mph Club at Gainesville.

His great 1993 season set the stage for a championship run in 1994, during which he won five events, including four consecutive -- Columbus, Topeka, Denver and Sonoma – becoming the first Top Fuel driver to do so. Incredibly, he one-upped that season in 1995, where he won six events and a career-best 45 rounds of eliminations en route to his second straight championship.

He finished second in the standings in 1996, but had a fine season nonetheless, scoring a $100,000 victory in the Budweiser Shootout at the season finale in Pomona and set top speed at a category-best eight races.

After winning the Topeka event in 1997 – his fourth straight at the race – he announced his retirement from the sport and sat out until an abbreviated 10-race campaign in 1999. He returned after a three-year hiatus – joining his cousin, Doug, who was now driving for Connie and quickly showed he still had the skills to win, reaching two final rounds and clocking the fastest speed in history at 333.95 mph.

He finally returned to the winner's circle in 2004 with a breakthrough win in Denver and his fourth-place finished marked his sixth top-five points finish in the NHRA POWERade Series. He earned the final two wins of his career in 2005, when he scored in Top Fuel at the season-opening Winternationals in Pomona and in Chicago and finished the season eighth in points.

Kalitta returned to his Funny Car roots in 2006 and reached the semifinals in Denver that year. In 2007, he also reached one semifinal, but this year made his first final-round appearance in three years, and the 26th of his career, with a runner-up in Chicago two weeks ago.

Kalitta is survived by his wife, Kathy; sons Corey, 15, and Colin, 8; and his father, Connie.

Further details will be provided as they become available.

In lieu of today's tragic events, Kalitta Motorsports' race cars driven by Doug Kalitta, Dave Grubnic and Hillary Will will not compete in tomorrow's final eliminations of the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals.

*edit* The title is changed now, but before it said, "Dies in Funny Car Accident". It gets explained below. */edit*

What the hell about that is supposed to be "funny?" Or do you just mean strange, not hilarious?

woman without a team

It's what the cars are called. I guess once upon a time people thought they looked funny.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What Grace said.

They are called Funny Cars, have been since the 60's. I would not make fun of anybody that died for goodness sake. I had tears in my eyes as I typed it.

Edit: I thought people in Indiana knew what Funny Cars were, after all we have the biggest richest Drag Race in the World here every September at Raceway Park. Do yourself a favor and go to it at least once. Friday qualifying is great and stay till the night time rounds.
    Last edited by Hoop; 06-21-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Default Re: Scott Kalitta Dies In Drag Racing Accident

Unfortunately it's the inherent risk of auto racing... Dozens of drivers are killed every year and at this point the safety measures aren't catching up quick enough.

May he rest in peace.

I am not familiar with it at all (obviously). Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not familiar with it at all (obviously). Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I changed the title, so nobody would be confused. Never even crossed my mind that people might not know what a funny car was. I grew up at the Drag Strip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_Car

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Unfortunately it's the inherent risk of auto racing... Dozens of drivers are killed every year and at this point the safety measures aren't catching up quick enough.

May he rest in peace.
    I completely disagree with that.
    Not to menton the statement that dozens of drivers are killed every year is just completely incorrect. Its not even close to that.
    Thats one of the most horrific accidents I've ever seen. I don't think anything could have saved him.
    RIP
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 06-22-2008 at 12:39 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I completely disagree with that.

Thats one of the most horrific accidents I've ever seen. I don't think anything could have saved him.
    RIP
    I agree. Other than the inherent risk in driving a car really fast, the safety mechanisms and restrictions on auto racing are top notch. Auto racing is probably the most safety regulated sports environment in the world.

The accident was horrific. It also could not be stopped.

RIP.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

During his championship years I worked for a company in Terre Haute called American International Freight which was owned by the Kalitta family. The company even sponsored his car for a time. When he won the title in 1994 ad 1995 they threw BIG celebrations for him. R.I.P. Scott.