Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Pick Contest

Default Draft Pick Contest

I think it is time to start a draft pick contest. What I propose is a three pick contest.

1---Who do the Pacers take at 11?

2---Who do the Pacers take at 41?

3---IF another pick is obtained who do they pick/

If the Pacers trade up or down the player chosen at the new spot would be
    the answer for whichever pick is traded.
    You can change your answer up until Thursday morning at 8am. Getting one answer right
    is possible. Getting two or three will be tough.

With that in mind my initial picks are as follows...

1-Augustin(Pacers take the easy choice)
    2-Burrell(Defense for when Augustin can't)
    3-Hibbert(Good bigman)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Default Re: Draft Pick Contest

Darrel Arthur
    Kyle Weaver
    Mario Chalmers

It's the Kansas connection....Pending, but this is what I think they SHOULD do at this point, I'll say what I think they WILL do as we get closer, it may match, it may not.
    Last edited by Speed; 06-20-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Speed, you have a pretty good mix there. That would not surprise me.
    My picks for now are what I think THEY will do. What I would do is a little different.
    However my picks don't matter. :-)
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

11. DJ Augustin (easy choice)
    41. Goran Dragic ( Bird goes international again)
    Other Pick: Kosta Koufus ( Some say Hibbert, but I like Koufus)
    Last edited by DrBadd01; 06-20-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Speed, you have a pretty good mix there. That would not surprise me.
    My picks for now are what I think THEY will do. What I would do is a little different.
    However my picks don't matter. :-)

Mine either, I like what you think they will do better actually. I see Burrell as a defensive stopper type, I'd love to see him get to the second round. I think he's a guy who will stick in the league just for his defense alone. Pacers could use some hardnosed defenders for sure.

This is such a tough call, because you have no idea of the future moves we will make or that other teams will make that will totally change the landscape in unexpected ways.

Having said that, I am up late anyway, so I'm going on record with what I they should do, and I'll go ahead and predict that they WILL do next Thursday.

1. Pick #11 Marreese Speights.

Someone said in another thread that it is probably smart to take JO's eventual successor at #11, and trade JO to fill other needs. I think this is spot on analysis by whoever said it.

2. Pick #41 Kyle Weaver.

This is probably more wishful thinking than anything, but I like Weavers huge defensive skills and mentality, and think he'd be a great role player for us to get at #41. His ability to handle the ball some for us is a bonus, as he played some "point forward" in college.

3. Extra pick acquired around #19-#23, Mario Chalmers.

Chalmers looks like the best point guard all around to me over Augustin anyway, as he has better size and defensive ability than DJ. I think Augustin is gone by the time we pick anyway, so that will lead us to making a move to acquire an extra pick. I'm scared of Denver selecting Chalmers at #20, so I think a deal of some kind with the Cavs is the likeliest team we could deal with on draft night.

That would be an outstanding draft for us if it played out that way, in my opinion. No superstars in that group, but I think Chalmers starts immediately, Speights starts if JO is traded immediately, and Weaver fills a key role on our team as a "Bruce Bowen" type player. All three in my opinion can really fit well here in Indiana, and I think Speights possibly could end up a really good low post offensive player for us as a quality starter in future years.

I think our 3 biggest weaknesses, in some order, are lack of another post up offensive threat on the low block, a lack of overall talent and leadership and reliability from the point guard position, and the total lack of a premier wing defender, which has a ripple effect on the play of the entire team.

That type of draft described above possibly solves all three issues if it all three players would work out like the potentially could.

Tbird

sounds like a good plan tbird. Hopefully the dominos can fall into our lap this time.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If no one pegged as a top ten pick like Gordon slips, your scenario is probably as good as it gets in my opinion, tbird.

I think the Pacers are liking Koufas though, I can see their second first rounder if they get one being him. I'd rather have Speights and Chalmers but I can see them going for Augustin and Koufas. I wouldn't mind those two if the defense wasn't so terrible in the first place but we all know it is.

My best case scenario draft:

1a. Westbrook (he apparently already has a promise before the Pacers pick). Or Gordon if he slips

1b. (aquired pick) Speights

2. Kyle Weaver

What my pessimistic (sorry its just there) outlook thinks the Pacers will do.

1a. Augustin

1b. Koufas

2. Any foreigner, pick one

I would love for the Pacers to get Gordon, Speights, Weaver, and trade for a veteran PG like Hinrich or even TJ Ford if possible. I'm not a huge fan of either Hinrich or Ford but its an improvement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. Brook Lopez

2. Richard Hendrix

3. Mario Chalmers

I'm choosing as I think who will be available.

1) Speights

2) Chalmers... with acquired 1st round pick.

3) Lee... trade up in 2nd to 32-34.

The 2nd round pick was the most difficult for me. I'm not sure who will fall or not fall in into the 2nd round. I like Lee, and am gambling he falls into the 2nd round. I also like Hill and Walker. IF I knew Walker's wouldn't be an injury player, I would have gone with him over Lee. With the Pacers record of injury prone players, I'm just too injury shy to pick him. I might have if it wasn't for his recent injury.

This gives the Pacers a big in the form of JO's future replacement as I mentioned b4, a playmaker PG who has more size than Augustin & can play D, and a SG who can score & play perimeter D. The last 2 helps in an area I have been wanting shored up for the last 2+ years.. perimeter D.

If the Pacers can come up with Speights and only one of the other 2, I'd consider this a successful draft for them.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 06-21-2008 at 08:35 AM.

#11 LOVE (will fall)
    #41 GEORGE HILL (nice athlete/3rd p.g.
    xtra pick ( around 20th) J. McGEE

Early one when we were starting to discuss the draft I really and still think the Pacers should go big at 11. Someone asked me what I though of Speights. At the time I had really not seen anything on him but now with video and evaluations out I think he would be a
    good pick at 11. The question is do the Pacers.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. Eric Gordon
    I don't think he falls to us, I think we move up to the Clippers pick to get him. Then they take Augustin at #11. And I think with MDJ here, Gordon can play the point and share ball handling duties with him. It would definately create some much needed excitement going into next year. Plus, the Clippers have always been a sucker for a trade.
    2. Joey Dorsey
    I think this guy is being majorly overlooked. He could be our new age Dale Davis, something this team really lacks. To land him in the second round would be a major steal, IMO.
    3. Roy Hibbert
    Something tells me O'brien talking of of picking players who don't necessarily fit your system is a result of being impressed by Hibbert in his workout. Maybe if we deal O'neal to Cleveland that is who we'll take at #19.

2. Pick # 41 Nathan Jawai
    3. Mario Chalmers

Pick #11 Kosta Koufos (sadly)
    Pick #41 Kyle Weaver
    Another first Darrell Arthur (now #17)
    Last edited by pwee31; 06-26-2008 at 01:13 AM. Reason: trade update

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

speights, hill, and koufos.

not sure they will stay at 11 though. if alexander is there, i see a trade back to #13.

Extra Credit - 4th player - late 2nd round - Sasha Kaun
    Last edited by MyFavMartin; 06-24-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    This is such a tough call, because you have no idea of the future moves we will make or that other teams will make that will totally change the landscape in unexpected ways.

Having said that, I am up late anyway, so I'm going on record with what I they should do, and I'll go ahead and predict that they WILL do next Thursday.

Someone said in another thread that it is probably smart to take JO's eventual successor at #11, and trade JO to fill other needs. I think this is spot on analysis by whoever said it.

2. Pick #41 Kyle Weaver.

This is probably more wishful thinking than anything, but I like Weavers huge defensive skills and mentality, and think he'd be a great role player for us to get at #41. His ability to handle the ball some for us is a bonus, as he played some "point forward" in college.

3. Extra pick acquired around #19-#23, Mario Chalmers.

Chalmers looks like the best point guard all around to me over Augustin anyway, as he has better size and defensive ability than DJ. I think Augustin is gone by the time we pick anyway, so that will lead us to making a move to acquire an extra pick. I'm scared of Denver selecting Chalmers at #20, so I think a deal of some kind with the Cavs is the likeliest team we could deal with on draft night.

That would be an outstanding draft for us if it played out that way, in my opinion. No superstars in that group, but I think Chalmers starts immediately, Speights starts if JO is traded immediately, and Weaver fills a key role on our team as a "Bruce Bowen" type player. All three in my opinion can really fit well here in Indiana, and I think Speights possibly could end up a really good low post offensive player for us as a quality starter in future years.

I think our 3 biggest weaknesses, in some order, are lack of another post up offensive threat on the low block, a lack of overall talent and leadership and reliability from the point guard position, and the total lack of a premier wing defender, which has a ripple effect on the play of the entire team.

That type of draft described above possibly solves all three issues if it all three players would work out like the potentially could.

Tbird

If we were to trade for a PG, what would you think of taking someone like Robin Lopez with a later pick (if we traded for it)? You said in your anaylisis of Speights, that he could use a bigger defensive center to play next to him.

Seems unlikely however, the pacers did not work out Lopez.

besides that I am pretty much with you. Although, I would consider trading up in the second round to get George Hill. It seems like if he could handle PG duties, he could be the steal of the draft. I envision Gilbert Arenas, but that is pure homer speculation, because I haven't really watched Hill play much.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Here's my best guess:

#11 - Speights
    #41 - Mike Green
    Trade back into first round to get: Courtney Lee.

I could see an alternate scenario that goes like this:

#11 - Augustin
    #41 - Padgett (I see a bit of Brad Miller in him)
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Things are very fluid at this point. I just think they are going big unless Westbrook
    is available. I know I picked Augustin and I may be talking myself out of this pick based
    on what Bird is saying. This could be a smokescreen.

Hibbert
    Burrell
    Extra pick is Arthur

The Pacers have not had a real center since Smits. I guess Miller counts.

Can we get George Hill somehow? I doubt he lasts until 41
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

11. - Koufos - I just have a feeling Bird really likes him
    41. - Dorsey
    Second First Round Pick - Hibbert

Remember to list your picks as 11,41 and extra first round pick

I am changing again....Bird is smoke screening.

Ajinca
    Burrell
    Arthur

I would not be surprised to see Hibbert as the extra pick
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

1---Who do the Pacers take at 11? Brandon Rush

2---Who do the Pacers take at 41? Kyle Weaver

3---IF another pick is obtained who do they pick? Jason Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    1---Who do the Pacers take at 11? Brandon Rush

2---Who do the Pacers take at 41? Kyle Weaver

3---IF another pick is obtained who do they pick? Jason Thompson
    If I could resubmit, it would look something like this. I'm really starting to think that Rush is the pick at 11.

Then I see us trading back into the first round to grab a big (Speights, Arthur, Hibbert, Koufos, etc.)
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    If I could resubmit, it would look something like this. I'm really starting to think that Rush is the pick at 11.

Then I see us trading back into the first round to grab a big (Speights, Arthur, Hibbert, Koufos, etc.)

You can re-submit until Thursday. I had thought to cut it off in the morning but I think
    by noon Thursday would be ok.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

1 - Rush
    2 - Jawai
    3 - Hibbert
    Last edited by blanket; 06-25-2008 at 09:56 PM.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05