Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: European Pacers Party?

Lithfan

Default European Pacers Party?

Hey guys what do you think?

I mean can we organize one?

Just write where you are from and if you would like to meet other people alive.

I'm from Israel, but tomorrow I'll be in Lithuania (Vilnius) where most European PD members are IMO.

I would like to meet others alive.

Anybody in Vilnius?

Default Re: European Pacers Party?

DeS is from Kaunas. No problem go to Vilnius Maybe at finals (Zalgiris-Rytas derby)?
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

I'm from Toulon in France...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Bilthoven (Utrecht), The Netherlands. And at the worst second in Europe with regards to the number of Pacersfans.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I take it Rik Smits didn't make lots of Dutch people into Pacer fans?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

3ballinhoop

Mourning would have to answer that question as I'm just a neighbour.
    It is probable he made lots of dutch people Pacerfans though. The Mavericks are extremely popular in Germany. Of course Nowitzki, being one of the very best in the NBA, is a much bigger star. I don't know how popular the Sonics and Pacers became with Schrempf, although he was really good as well.

It would be cool to fly to Lithuania from Würzburg, Germany, tomorrow, but there are a number of factors that make that difficult. You will have to party yourselves, and I'll be with you in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guess I'm reading this wrong. Anyway, Rik Smits and Reggie made quite a number of fans over here. I'm sure a lot have either left NBA basketball or basketball all together behind them, but I'm more then sure there are also a lot of Dutch Pacersfans left.

I would guess that after Americans and Lithuanians we would be the third or fourth largest nationality on this board, probably about the same number or a few more posters then those that come from Canada. I don't view that as a coincidence considering Basketball is at best the 6th sport in The Netherlands (after soccer, field hockey, volleyball, tennis, ice skating, korfball/bucketball).

I would like more of my compatriots to post though (that's where Canadians edge "us" so to speak).

Regards,

Mourning

Sorry Mouring, I think I read your original post wrong.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Damn Canadians...

Sorry rcarey :whatever:

Sorry Mouring, I think I read your original post wrong.

Can't forget about the guys that like to say G'Day and mates often, right GO?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

3ballinhoop

My grandmother used to tell me the biggest sport in Holland is cycling, closely followed by "smoking it 'til the sun goes down".

Yup! Quite some Austrians here too!

Quote Originally Posted by 3ballinhoop
    My grandmother used to tell me the biggest sport in Holland is cycling, closely followed by "smoking it 'til the sun goes down".
    How could that be true? Did you forget you GERMANS stole our bikes in the 2nd World War?!!!

Pot smoking is not unpopular here, true, (I never did btw! Sort of a principle issue for me personally) but compare it to France, Germany and England and I don't think IF we are higher it's a little bit, while on the hard drugs the percentages are lower then those countries mentioned above and the US.

Anyway, true, cycling is also pretty big here.

Regards,

Mourning

3ballinhoop

I didn't know dutch bikes were stolen, but it's not that cool that you had to refer to the second world war, if even in joke. It's a tiring connection to the word Germany, because even if it can be funny, it is used so damn frequently.

However, the drug connection is probably used when speaking of Holland just as often, so my reasoning applies here as well. It is just that with Portugal and Switzerland, Holland is the one country where drugs like marijuana are legal and sold in tolerated coffee shops. It creates a buzz, not only in neighbouring Germany, but also Belgium, Scandinavia. I visited friends in Lille, France just a few weeks ago and guess if they discussed how it is only a trip of a few hours through Belgium to Weed-land?

I grew up in Sweden, and living in Bayern, the drug laws are strict in both places. If this is for the better or not, is a whole other discussion.

Cycling as a sport in huge in Germany. I was pretty much thinking of the bike as a means of transport when speaking of Holland, which, surprisingly, is one of those countries I haven't been to. :-)
    What is Korfball btw?

Your grandma knows about smoking?? I don't think my grandma does.

3ballinhoop

Well, she knows about smoking and drugs. It's something you don't miss if you watch television regularly, as it is discussed in different contexts a lot in media. The word for smoking, "kiffen" is big here.

Writing "my grandmother used to tell me" does not necessarily mean she really did, but have you noticed how this adds a mix of wisdom and humor to any statement?

I didn't know dutch bikes were stolen, but it's not that cool that you had to refer to the second world war, if even in joke. It's a tiring connection to the word Germany, because even if it can be funny, it is used so damn frequently.
    Ok, I can dig that. Anyway, it IS a clichee joke that's used a lot around here.
    Has to do with the German army before Operation Market Garden (the huge allied airborne operation from Eindhoven to Arnhem with the objective of opening a corridor towards the Ruhrarea, maybe you have seen the movie "A Bridge Too Far"?). They were on the run before that operation and basically stole everything that they could use on the way to Germany. The bycicle became the symbol of that.

Anyway, I understand you would feel insulted by it, but it was meant as a sort of little teasing. Indeed the same as people calling my country blowersparadis or something . Anyway, I apologize for the "joke" .

However, also let's be honest here, I understand you don't like the connection of Germany to the 2nd World War, but it will always be there. It's not something that will go away. However, people around here don't view young or middle aged Germans as Nazi's or something, that would be absurd.

However, the drug connection is probably used when speaking of Holland just as often, so my reasoning applies here as well. It is just that with Portugal and Switzerland, Holland is the one country where drugs like marijuana are legal and sold in tolerated coffee shops. It creates a buzz, not only in neighbouring Germany, but also Belgium, Scandinavia. I visited friends in Lille, France just a few weeks ago and guess if they discussed how it is only a trip of a few hours through Belgium to Weed-land?

Belgium is a country with close to the same rules we have now since last year. Also take note that pot is NOT legal here it's "tolerated" in small amounts. It's a REALLY weird system and quite hard to explain, but it works reasonably well.

Cycling as a sport in huge in Germany. I was pretty much thinking of the bike as a means of transport when speaking of Holland, which, surprisingly, is one of those countries I haven't been to. :-)
    What is Korfball btw?
    Yeah, the bike is also a popular form of transportation here. I had a girlfriend a few years ago who had a nephew from Canada who came over and we used to play ball. The first thing that he said surprised him compared to Canada was the room for people with bycicles here, the number of them around and the availability of roads which they could use.

Korfball is in my eyes the major reason why Basketball will never really take off over here as it should (we are one of the tallest average people in the world and we like and generally are good at teamsports). The object of the game is to throw a ball into a round bucket which is positioned a little higher then a basket and without the board of the basket. You are not allowed to dribble, so you have to pass to get the ball anywhere, hard body contact is not allowed. I used to play it, but I love the body contact and wearing my opponents down that way aswell, so I only played it for a few years when I was a small kid (looooong ago!). It's one of the biggest sports here ... unfortunately .

The sport is also big in Belgium and developing in some eatern European countries I believe. We will probably remain world champion until 2088 (sounds remniscent of the US with regards to basketball btw ).

Regards,

Mourning

Lithfan

Quote Originally Posted by DeS
    DeS is from Kaunas. No problem go to Vilnius Maybe at finals (Zalgiris-Rytas derby)?
    Great!!!

Lets see how many people we can gather. By the way when is the derby?

3ball, it doesn't have to be tomorrow....

<-----Vilnius

I'm from Haifa, Israel. Could be nice to meet people from all over Europe that have Indiana Pacers in common. Global village anyone?
    Anyway it seems hard to organize. The Lith guys getting together can be done I guess.

I think I'd consider coming to this party from Lexington, if you guys ever were to get something together...

3ballinhoop

That's great. What country would be in the middle? I'm not that good at geography. *whistle*

3ballinhoop

I don't feel insulted at all. Hell, I'm not even german technically, having grown up in Sweden and not having a german passport. It is still tiresome to read the connection because it is so expected, and I prefer a refreshing surprise.
    In Bavaria there is a known ladies-only sport called Korbball. I'll find out the rules and post them here, maybe it's the same thing. :-)

He sure did! I am one of them.
    I used to write more, but I am still around. To busy with work, family, house etc etc.
    Right now I am living in Denmark and I guess there aren't that many danish/dutch pacer fans living here. Sooo, no party for me!!
    Not an Anders Fogh Rasmussen fan