Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers.com: Bird hints at possible moves in NBA Draft

Default Re: Pacers.com: Bird hints at possible moves in NBA Draft

Q. Larry, you’ve had a lot of prominent big guys (work out), McGee, Jordan, Hibbert now and Arthur; how do you break down and analyze that group?
    A. “They’re all very talented big guys. This (Darrell) Arthur is a man. He’s good. The other guys played very well. Obviously, he didn’t play against the other guys. They were all here together but Arthur’s probably got the most skill of any of them. There’s no question.”

That makes me think he's targeting Arthur.[/quote]

I love the games these teams play with each other, which is what I think this is. In this case, I think Larry might be playing a mind game with Sacramento.

It is rumored (although this could all be smoke as well) that Sacramento worked out Arthur and loved him, and gave him a promise at #12 that he won't slip past them. I believe I read that Arthur promptly canceled workouts with teams picking after Sacramento after he met with the Kings brass.

Assuming this is true, and that I am correct in thinking Larry actually has zero interest in Arthur, then it is logical for Larry to put this story out publically, to make the Kings wonder if they will really get their man. In Bird's mind, the ideal scenario would be for Sacramento to feel they have to make a deal with either the Pacers themselves (maybe get a second rounder from the Kings, or more likely get some cash), or for the Kings to feel they have to move up past the Pacers in order to get Arthur, moving up to make a deal with perhaps Charlotte at #9 (I still think they want Rush, although I could be totally wrong) or with New Jersey at #10.

If that would work and Sacramento does move up past us and takes Arthur, then that is one less spot we'd have to worry about a team taking the player we REALLY want, whomever that might be.

It would be classic cloak and dagger NBA style, and I have no doubt that Larry's statement was carefully planned out just to create the kind of discussion it is creating.

At least, that's what I'd be doing if I was in charge.

Tbird

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't it be a hoot, sorry Owl but you did mention this player earlier in another thread, if Bird got a 2nd 1st round pick

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Dude, when you're in the Pacers position, the chief objective is to acquire talent. If the best player available is something you already have, then you take it, and trade from your strength.
    Yeah, that's why we've always had the exact number of small forwards we need, because we traded away the extras.

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sounds very plausible Tbird but posting that might kill the plan lol

I'm in the thinking that Bird knows somebody after them is targeting Arthur, if they are made to believe that the Pacers want Arthur then they may give up something in return. That strategy would give the Pacers an extra pick or player along with the player they are targeting all along, my guess is that would be Augustine.

I think Bird is serious about adding a 2nd pick based on the players they have worked out. You can see that some players are players projected at 11 and others are clearly late 1st round picks like Rush, Kosta Koufos, Roy Hibbert and Mario Chalmers. They are all projected late to mid round picks. I believe that something is in the works if not agreed to already. I would be surprised to see us move up in the draft and I agree with Bird that this draft has players that could help next year. I hope we are able to shake things up next week.
    Last edited by will567; 06-20-2008 at 02:06 AM.

I would be pretty happy if we drafted Arthur. The fact that Larry actually mentioned him is disappointing.

Unless, he knows that people will know he said him as a smokescreen, and hence don't intend to draft him. But then, they would know that he knows that they will think it's a smokescreen. I would like to think he would know that they know that he knows they know, but his head would have exploded before then.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't want Arthur after he measured shorter than originally thought.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I really don't want Arthur after he measured shorter than originally thought.
    Yes, but he's a man. A short man, relatively speaking, but still a man.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I would be pretty happy if we drafted Arthur. The fact that Larry actually mentioned him is disappointing.

Unless, he knows that people will know he said him as a smokescreen, and hence don't intend to draft him. But then, they would know that he knows that they will think it's a smokescreen. I would like to think he would know that they know that he knows they know, but his head would have exploded before then.

Made me laugh Kegboy.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    The comment about trying to get another 1st rounder was nice PR. I remember his comment last year about getting a pick to get back into the draft, and he did. Unfortunately it was a 2nd round pick which he used to get Stanko b4 anyone else could get him 1st.

Wouldn't it be a hoot, sorry Owl but you did mention this player earlier in another thread, if Bird got a 2nd 1st round pick, after drafting Westbrook, for the Frenchman Ajinca. Bird gets his big and a Euro who can play now instead of having to go back to Europe to season up.

It really is hard to say what Bird is thinking but Larry laying down a smoke screen
    would not surprise me at all. We really need a thread on Wednesday for everyone to list
    who they think the pick will be.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I think it's proof we will not pick Arthur at #11. There's simply no reason at all to mention the player you want to pick...because it can only hurt your negotiating position. There are probably 15 players among whom the #11 pick is likely. One of the other 14 will be picked...

I don't think you can draw anything else from it.

I thought Speights when I read the article.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I really think they're drafting Speights. The chances of him going top-10 are next to nothing, whereas with Augustin there are rumors of him going as high as 7.

But then again every year I have tried to infer what LB is saying about the draft I have been horribly wrong.

As much I'd hate it, couldn't it be Koufos just as much? I mean there's no mention, and we've had him in for two workouts now. He's not projected to go higher than #11.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    As much I'd hate it, couldn't it be Koufos just as much? I mean there's no mention, and we've had him in for two workouts now. He's not projected to go higher than #11.

Please no

I have been pumping Speights for like two months, I will feel very vindicated if Larry picks him. I just can't get behind Randolph, Arthur, Jordan, etc... for various reasons. Randolph and Jordan sound like big busts and Arthur is another undersized PF. Speights should be a very productive player, I agree with T-bird that he will need to play with a bigger defense oriented center though, and I am dissapointed we did not work out Robin Lopez. That is who I would go after with a later pick..

If we did go gaurd, I would be happy with westbrook though. Looks like he wont be there though.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 06-20-2008 at 12:35 AM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sounds to me like we're going to be reaching for someone at #11.

I really hope we trade into another first-rounder and grab Chalmers. That would make me happy...unless we draft someone like Koufos or Hibbert at #11.

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

whether it is smokesecreen or not the only thing we know is that bird mentioned his name and said he is The Man. We have no clue at all whether he said this truthfully or for tactical reason to influence the teams that are interested in arthur and make them to pick up, thus securing the player Bird really want. isn't it? / I just wish we could pick russell westbrook. that would totally make my summer
    Last edited by underwave; 06-20-2008 at 07:47 AM.

I think w/o a doubt we're going PG at 11. Probably Augustin as it looks like Westbrook will be gone.

I think LB's trying to get back into the 13-20 range to get the big he wants. Probably dropped that line about Arthur as a smokescreen for Speights or Koufus. I've heard both have been very solid through their workouts.

One thing about having the 11th pick. There is no doubt that there will be a future allstar available, but there will also be a number of guys taken between 11 and 20 who won't be in the NBA after 4 years or so. I think picking between 9 and 14 is really tricky.

I just hope the pacers don't take the "safe pick". If they think there is a possible future star player available at 11, I want the Pacers to take him. And I don't care what position the guy plays. I'll be disappointed if we take a point guard just for the sake of taking a point guard - if we don't think the guy is the answer for a starting point guard, then I want us to take someone else.

I never have and never will criticize the Pacers for taking a chance on someone they think will be a future star. I've never criticized them for taking Bender (except perhaps they should have been able to determine his knee problems)

More than anything I want the Pacers to take the player that in 4 years from now will be the best player taken after pick 10 - perhaps that is obvious - but if you take the safe choice - chances are you won't get the future star
    '
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-20-2008 at 08:42 AM.

UB-

Very well said and I agree completely. At #11, you have to take the
    kid you think will be the best player down the road, regardless of
    position. At this point, the Pacers need valuable, attractive assets
    more than they need to try and fill some apparent, immediate need.

If they're lucky enough that they get both in the same kid, terrific.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    More than anything I want the Pacers to take the player that in 4 years from now will be the best player taken after pick 10 - perhaps that is obvious - but if you take the safe choice - chances are you won't get the future star
    The problem is that I don't think there is this huge and obvious gap between the "best player available" and the "second best player available", nor is there going to be a significant difference now between that best player and our current SF/PF choices.

I'd rather have the second-best player after pick 10 if he plays at a position that will either immediately help us or at least allow him significant playing time. Picking the best player but not getting him court time because there's a logjam won't do him or us any good, now or 4 years from now. All that will happen is that no one will know he was the best player because he never had a chance to prove it.

Obviously, if a gift like a Granger comes along, you jump at that. However, I don't think it'll happen.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but here are the players that were picked at #11 in the last 10 drafts.

98 - Bonzi Wells - Detroit
    99 - Trajan Langdon - Cleveland
    00 - Jerome Moiso - Boston
    01 - Kedrick Brown - Boston
    02 - Jared Jeffries - Washington
    03 - Mickael Pietrus - Golden State
    04 - Andre Biedrius - Golden State
    05 - F. Vazquez - Orlando
    06 - JJ Redick - Orlando
    07 - Acie Law - Atlanta

Not much there to get excited about, but in all of these drafts, there were some great players selected after #11.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The problem is that I don't think there is this huge and obvious gap between the "best player available" and the "second best player available", nor is there going to be a significant difference now between that best player and our current SF/PF choices.

I'd rather have the second-best player after pick 10 if he plays at a position that will either immediately help us or at least allow him significant playing time. Picking the best player but not getting him court time because there's a logjam won't do him or us any good, now or 4 years from now. All that will happen is that no one will know he was the best player because he never had a chance to prove it.

Obviously, if a gift like a Granger comes along, you jump at that. However, I don't think it'll happen.

I agree it seems right now that there isn't much of a difference. But 4 years from now there will be a huge difference between players - You know what happens, 4 years from now we all look at lists of who was available at pick 11 and say, why didn't we draft so and so, he is a much better player even though he was drafted 20th. Pacers need maybe two or three straight drafts where that doesn't happen. (you know the why did we take George McCloud when Tim hardaway was available).

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    My decoder rings says he's targeting Augustin, and they're trying to make a deal for a second pick between 12-20.
    I have a good feeling of who we’re going to take right now and we think he’ll be there
    "A lot of places in college, teams are so good the kids can't do things they want, whether it's one-on-one, pick and pop. Coaches want them to stay down low. We've seen a number of players come through here that are lot more athletic than we thought they were because they were in a structured offense."
    Koufos shows up on my decoder and I don't like it. Could he really have made that much of an impression in workouts? Sure seems like Bird has already excused players for how they were "stuck" in their college system.

Of course T'Bird's view on Speights also comes to mind since he did suggest that the FLA system limited his ability to prove himself out. However Bird also talks about being asked to go into the low block RATHER THAN playing more to the outside.

So what big was asked to post up but the Pacers like his ability to play the outside? Back to Koufos perhaps.

If so then Bird better be 100% right and it better show within 2 years or he'll have done himself in IMO.

That makes me think he's targeting Arthur.
    The only issue there is that Arthur's strength is his low post ability, it's not like KS made him play down there against his will or ability. Now I'm a huge fan of Arthur due to the tight polish on his low post game and overall well-rounded play. Size is the only issue with him. I have little doubt he impressed the heck out of the Pacers.

But I still think Koufos. Wonder if they are going to try to trade down AND back in at the same time, maybe give the 11th to someone, a player to Portland, and get the 13th and someone's later pick, plus someone like Jack. The team losing the lower pick might get another young player from Portland. Seems likely that Koufos would be there at 13...unfortunately.

Cross fingers for Arthur (and a few others) and prepare for disappointment.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 06-20-2008 at 11:12 AM.