Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade rumors heating up as draft approaches. - Chad Ford

Default Trade rumors heating up as draft approaches. - Chad Ford

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...adetalk-080618

With the NBA draft just days away and teams getting close to finishing their workouts with prospects, GMs are getting serious about jockeying for position in the draft.

The last few days, a number of GMs have told me the phones ring more and more, with serious trade discussions taking place. Those talks will hit a fever pitch next week.

Here's what we're hearing so far:

The Phoenix Suns have put Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw on the table in attempts to either move up in the draft or secure another veteran to play alongside Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal.

"I think our needs are pretty clear," one Suns insider told ESPN.com. "We can't ask Grant Hill to play 40 minutes a night, and Barbosa isn't really a point guard."

The Suns own the Atlanta Hawks' pick at No. 15, but the players they covet in the draft -- Russell Westbrook, Joe Alexander and Brandon Rush -- probably will be lottery picks.

Small forwards on the market include Richard Jefferson of the New Jersey Nets, Josh Howard of the Dallas Mavericks, Gerald Wallace of the Charlotte Bobcats and Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons.

But there are stumbling blocks to each deal. The Mavs might not want to send Howard to a rival team. Detroit president Joe Dumars is probably not interested in Diaw. The Nets need contracts that expire by 2010. And it's unclear whether the Suns would be willing to take back Wallace's contract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Suns and a number of other teams are talking to the Minnesota Timberwolves, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks, Portland Trail Blazers and Nets about trading up in (or out of) the draft.

The Wolves seem especially ready to make a deal if Michael Beasley isn't on the board at No. 3. They like several of the bigs in this draft, including Brook Lopez, Kevin Love and Danilo Gallinari, but none of them is worth taking at No. 3.

It appears the Wolves won't take back veterans, though. Several GMs told me that Kevin McHale is looking for young players only.

The Knicks' Donnie Walsh would like to find a new home for Zach Randolph, but he has struggled to find takers. And New York would love to move up a spot or two in the draft to get O.J. Mayo or Jerryd Bayless.

If it can't, much-desired Westbrook might be the target. Word of the Knicks' interest in Westbrook has generated phone calls from teams trying to get him.

The Clippers have been looking to move up to the No. 3 spot to get Mayo, and they've talked with a number of teams about virtually everyone on L.A.'s roster.

According to one Clippers insider, "No one is safe right now." With players such as Elton Brand, Al Thornton and Chris Kaman on the roster, the Clips could jolt things as the draft approaches.

The Bucks have been trying to move up in the draft to add some star power to their team.

In particular, we've heard Mayo's name associated with the Bucks. The Bucks have been trying to get into that seven-team Mayo workout in Chicago on Saturday to get a closer look.

Bucks GM John Hammond has gotten a lot of calls, with other teams especially interested in Yi Jianlian and Charlie Villanueva. Mo Williams and Michael Redd are also in play in Milwaukee right now.

The Nets, I'm told, did not make a promise to draft Danilo Gallinari -- in part, that's because they might not keep the No. 10 pick. They are trying to find a deal that brings them a star in the draft and/or allows them to move Richard Jefferson to clear cap space for the summer of 2010. Right now, it looks as though the cap space solution is the more likely option for New Jersey.

The Blazers have the 13th, 33nd, 36th and 55th picks in the draft. Obviously, they don't want four rookies joining the two they already have coming in -- Greg Oden and Rudy Fernandez.

GM Kevin Pritchard, as always, is being creative trying to package those picks with young assets such as Jarrett Jack and Travis Outlaw and the expiring contract of Raef LaFrentz to move up or to get a veteran. Portland also is considering packaging those second-round picks to get another first-round pick.

To hear Pritchard talk about the Blazers' draft plan in our Tuesday podcast, click here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have, it appears, our first known promise of the draft. Multiple sources say that UCLA's Westbrook has shut down all workouts and has a promise in the mid-lottery range.

Apparently the promise isn't coming from the Knicks. They like Westbrook at No. 6, but they're also looking at Mayo, Bayless, Alexander and Eric Gordon.

The promise isn't coming from the Bucks or Pacers; neither team was able to get him in for a workout.

That leaves the Clippers at No. 7 and the Bobcats at No. 9. As noted above, the Clippers are trying to move up to get Mayo, so I doubt it's them. That leaves the Bobcats as the most likely to have made a promise to Westbrook.

One other possibility: The Seattle SuperSonics have taken a strong interest in Westbrook, according to sources. While No. 4 is a little higher than expected for him to go, one source said it's possible that the Sonics will trade down a few spots and take Westbrook.

More trade notes:

• With the Lakers flaming out in the Finals, it didn't take long for speculation about Lamar Odom to begin. A number of teams covet Odom because of his expiring contract.

I'd expect the Lakers to hear from the Nets (for Richard Jefferson), the Bulls (for Andres Nocioni), the Kings (for Ron Artest) and Memphis (for Mike Miller).

The Lakers and Grizzlies, as you might remember, have a history.

• The hottest rumor of the day has the Grizzlies and Denver Nuggets talking about a swap that would send Kyle Lowry and the No. 28 pick to Denver for the No. 20 and Linas Kleiza.

• The Cleveland Cavaliers have been talking to a number of teams about Anderson Varejao.

One possible destination for Varejao is the Golden State Warriors. According to a source familiar with the talks, the Cavs would send Varejao and the No. 19 pick to Golden State for Brandan Wright. The Warriors hold a $10 million trade exception that allows them to take back a lot more money than they send out in a trade.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trade rumors heating up as draft approaches. - Chad Ford

If Westbrook has a promise from the Clippers or Bobkitties, I really think it is shaping up that Gordon is gonna drop.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Westbrook has a promise from the Clippers or Bobkitties, I really think it is shaping up that Gordon is gonna drop.

Something tells me the Knicks are going to take him at 6.

Things are heating up, but nothing involving the Pacers. Typical.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

You traded during the draft just last year, didn't you?

Peter Vecsey said on NBATV last night that the Lakers will look to trade Odom and Odom's people are expecting him to be traded this summer.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-19-2008 at 11:24 AM.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    You traded during the draft just last year, didn't you?
    yup for Stanko.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Right, the draft is tomorrow.

I'm curious.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

I'll be waiting to see if we package Randolph with our draft pick to someone.

Walsh would be pilloried in the NY Press but I'm not positive that's a bad move.

The Zach Randolph we all know and ridicule won't be taken by anyone unless we offer them a huge piece of something tasty in return - or take back a problem.

This assumes Zach won't do a 180 on his game and decide to play defense and share the ball a little. I doubt it happens but you never know - new coach and GM who have a clue? Anything's possible.

I guess I'm not convinced there's anything available at 6 that will be worth more than ditching Zach's contract and being able to play in the FA market the summer of 2010. I get past the Big 4 - Beasley, Rose, Mayo & Bayless and I just can't get excited about the rest of the class - or at least I'm not more excited about picking 5 than if I was picking 15th.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I'm thinking that as well. I really hate the fact that we won't likely be getting Westbrook. I'm envisioning an available Gordon, and the Pacers choosing to pass. Didn't he refuse to work out here? Is there anything to that, other than him thinking he'd be picked sooner than 11th? He's the one that I see realistically dropping.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 06-19-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Look for the Los Angeles Lakers to try and land an early second round pick (possibly from Seattle) in order to draft IUPUI’s George Hill. He worked out in Los Angeles and reportedly was very impressive. His college team actually ran the triangle offense, and that is always a big factor in the Lakers’ workouts.

From Draft Express
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I'm thinking that as well. I really hate the fact that we won't likely be getting Westbrook. I'm envisioning an available Gordon, and the Pacers choosing to pass. Didn't he refuse to work out here? Is there anything to that, other than him thinking he'd be picked sooner than 11th? He's the one that I see realistically dropping.
    I'd probably lose it if that happened.

RE: George Hill

From Ooey Pooey to LA huh? His head might explode.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's really starting to look like Gordon, Westbrook, and Augustin are all going to be off the board by #11.

So much for 2-3 spots in the lottery not making much of a difference...

RE: George Hill

From Ooey Pooey to LA huh? His head might explode.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Peter Vecsey said on NBATV last night that the Lakers will look to trade Odom and Odom's people are expecting him to be traded this summer.
    I wouldn't want anything to do with Odom! Everyone was talking about how great he played in game 3 of the finals. He did play great.....in that one game. Out of 82 regular season games, he might play great in 15-20 of them. He has so much talent and natural ability but zero motivation! What a waste!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Shade-

Oh c'mon man. Are you forgetting how exciting those extra 6 or 7
    wins that cost us 3-4 draft slots were ? What would last season
    have been without them ?

Not !

As someone who said all along I much preferred the optimal draft
    position (wether it ended up being #7 or #8) to a few meaningless
    wins, while I'd rather feel vindicated, I just feel sick. #11 is no
    man's land. Fortunately though, at least we've got another week
    to get our expectations low enough to have at least a shot at being
    pleasently surprised on draft night.

I noticed that rumor about Lowry to Denver for a position swap and Leinas Klieza (however you spell his name). I mention that, because I thought Lowry would be someone we could look at if Westbrook and Augustin are gone. If they go early, should we maybe trade down to target Chalmers?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Right, the draft is tomorrow.

I'm curious.
    Actually, it's a week from tonight.

Mood

You play. To win. The game. Get over it!

And this being a "poor us" moment is debatable. First of all, nothing's written in stone about them being off the board. Second of all, even if they are, the guy we pick is by no means an automatic bust.

Just pulling a random example out, but what if those three are gone, but Brook Lopez falls in our laps?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    You lost me at "hello".

The only thing that makes me believe it is that it seems like a continuing real possibility. PV makes me almost not believe it. Maybe this is LAs way of saying to the market "Odom's out there, any takers?"

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You play. To win. The game. Get over it!

And this being a "poor us" moment is debatable. First of all, nothing's written in stone about them being off the board. Second of all, even if they are, the guy we pick is by no means an automatic bust.

Just pulling a random example out, but what if those three are gone, but Brook Lopez falls in our laps?
    Or Love, etc. DJ going higher is unlikely but I'd consider that a massive benefit for the purpose of bumping guys down and protecting the Pacers from a risky pick. I'm 100% with you on this issue of no tanking and let's not worry about not getting the right guy before we even know who will be the right guys in this draft. I mean I have guys I'll be excited if they draft, I'll complain about others, but ultimately it won't matter till they actually play a couple of years (or don't).

Talk of Rush being gone by 15? Wow, I think that's pushing it and I like him quite a bit.

Odd that Indy isn't mentioned in the rumors because they just have to be considering moving down or back into the first. Maybe nothing's going far, but usually the rumor mill involves who's making calls and shopping, not what's being done for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Look for the Los Angeles Lakers to try and land an early second round pick (possibly from Seattle) in order to draft IUPUI’s George Hill. He worked out in Los Angeles and reportedly was very impressive. His college team actually ran the triangle offense, and that is always a big factor in the Lakers’ workouts.

From Draft Express
    I read that this morning and almost puked.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought that DJ White refused to work out for the Pacers. I think there's a lot of crap beying thrown around again this year with the draft approaching (like it happens almost every year ).

The Westbrook promiss I buy, but whom from? The Bobcats? I just don't really see Brown working out for a decent amount of time with a rookie PG. Just sounds like a disaster (for the player) to happen.

The Clippers I think are a lot more realistic as are the Knicks. Both are pretty high picks for him IMO though. But, we have seen that ahem ... "other" teams have made promises to players in the past where everybody else was thinking "" (see for example the Hawks and Shelden Williams), so it's not totally inconceivable.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post
    I wouldn't want anything to do with Odom! Everyone was talking about how great he played in game 3 of the finals. He did play great.....in that one game. Out of 82 regular season games, he might play great in 15-20 of them. He has so much talent and natural ability but zero motivation! What a waste!
    What about his game 5? Would turn down Kobe Bryant because he didn't play well in this series too? Odom averaged a double-double this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It's really starting to look like Gordon, Westbrook, and Augustin are all going to be off the board by #11.

So much for 2-3 spots in the lottery not making much of a difference...
    Then Brook Lopez probably drops to us.

Augustin going off the board helps us, so does Gallinari going off the board.