Thread: Buying a new desktop....need feedback

Default Buying a new desktop....need feedback

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati..._-PCs_T70-2107

Lenovo IdeaCentre K210 Intel Desktop Computer - Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 1.6GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB SATA II, DVDRW, Intel GMA3100 Graphics, Webcam, Veriface, Flash Reader, Vista Home Premium SP1

Price after rebate and discount is $399.00(Plus shipping + Tax) Shakes out at about $484.00.

I need a budget PC that will last a while. Will only be using it for 3 or 4 things.

Email, Surfing Web, and downloading and working with pictures from my camera. No gaming, don't have the time or money unfortuantely.

What do you guys think of this one?

As far as I can tell Lenovo has a good reputation, especially with their laptops, but I can't afford the laptop ruote at this time as much as I'd like to have it.

My current PC is a Dell 600 mhz P3 That I've had for nearly 7 years now. I even rebuilt it after it got hit by lightning. It has been an absolutely awesome pc in terms of durability and it was a work horse in its day as I used to be a big gamer with Everquest.

So, what do you think?

Everything I can find on the web about it has been positive so far, but there aren't many reviews of this particular model.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Buying a new desktop....need feedback

As long as it gets you on here to count and die playing wolf then it looks good to me. Someone with more real knowledge will have to tell you about your real question though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That looks like a heck of a PC for that price. Dual Core, 4GB Ram and 500GB Drive, pretty nice. Lenovo laptops are very good pieces, I would say their desktops can't be to bad.

Only thing I don't like about it has Vista, I'd rather have XP myself. But, for that price hard to see how you could go wrong.

You're upgrading to that from a P3? You won't even know what hit you.

You know there's no monitor, right?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Listen, I'm a PC guy. I've worked in the Windows environment for a very very long time.

I know that budget is always an issue. But here's what you need to do to make yourself happy: Buy an Apple, and throw in the extra money to get the "apple care".

Yes, yes, yes, it's a couple hundred more than what you are paying.

BUT - Your life will be forever changed for the better. Believe me.

No buying anti-virus. Excellent customer care. Instant replacement when something goes wrong. Just do it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't buy a Toshiba.

That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listen, I'm a PC guy. I've worked in the Windows environment for a very very long time.

I know that budget is always an issue. But here's what you need to do to make yourself happy: Buy an Apple, and throw in the extra money to get the "apple care".

Yes, yes, yes, it's a couple hundred more than what you are paying.

BUT - Your life will be forever changed for the better. Believe me.

No buying anti-virus. Excellent customer care. Instant replacement when something goes wrong. Just do it.
    I looked at the apples. I would absolutely love to get one. The cheapest I could find was $1k and then I to throw in the apple care too.......Tax and shipping.....

Its just WAY above my budget right now. I so want an apple, I just can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    You're upgrading to that from a P3? You won't even know what hit you.

You know there's no monitor, right?
    Yeah, I know there's no monitor, I have one thats working perfectly fine at home, so I didn't see the need for one. And I can always go back and buy the monitor later.

My main concern and question is the Lenovo desktops, are they relaible?

I don't expect anything to be as good as my Dell has been for so long. I know I got very lucky with that one and its durability. But can I get a few years out of it?

I will second LA's suggestion at getting an Apple. I have had the same mac for the last 3 years and I never worry about it. I want to upgrade soon for faster betterness.

But I also understand the money issues. I dont know about comps there Gyron or I would be helpful. Good luck

Apple has the mini under $1k, but it's a ridiculously bad deal.

I'd go with the Lenovo. If you're worried about virii, install Ubuntu. It's getting pretty amazing.

Even if you stick with Windows, I'd recommend re-installing from scratch to get all the crapware off.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Apple makes great hardware, but it's too expensive.

A word on Tiger Direct. Don't expect to get any rebates back. They're notorious for not paying.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

To my understanding the rebate is from Lenovo, not Tiger Direct.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Remember that when you buy a Mac mini, you're also getting all of the software, and it is all excellent. Editing movies, organizing photos, managing email, you name it, it all works.

So the mac mini is 599 plus I think apple care is another $100 or so. Add shipping and you're looking at $750. And when it breaks in 2.5 years you get a brand new one free of charge, not a refurb old model, I'm talking the latest one out of the box. They just hand it to you at the store. Phone support is patient and excellent even if you just want a walk through on setting up your email.

The money goes somewhere, and that place is the built-in software and customer support.

I respect that this is a lot of money. But I've bought so many $30-$50 add on pieces of crap software and subscriptions for windows, and gotten zero support for it, that I know this for a fact: Over the course of two years, the mac wins the financial race.

OK, I'll stop the commercial.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 06-13-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Any and all rebates are dealt with a third-party. Not the manufacturer or TigerDirect. I bought my HP from them this past February, and the rebate came from a "rebate firm".

Also, only buy HP. They have the best support in the world. I have dealt with them for over three years not only at home but for my work. They are prompt, nice, and very helpful.

You really only want a Lenovo/IBM for a business-class environment and they aren't well-built for the home consumer.

If you buy any sort of Mac, you are throwing good money down the drain. You get the minimum amount of hardware for the same price you would get a decent PC for.

I went in to buy a MacBook the same time I bought my HP desktop, and I left with an HP laptop.

The MacBook that I was looking at was the lowest price they had, $1099. It's specs were:

80GB HDD
    13 inch screen
    CDR-DVDROM combo
    1GB Memory
    Integrated webcam
    802.11G wifi
    1 Year warranty

The HP notebook I bought was $699

250GB HDD
    3GB RAM
    15.4 inch screen
    DVD Burner with LightScribe
    Integrated webcam
    802.11G wifi
    Media Remote
    docking port
    dual headphone outlets
    1 year warranty

You have to have an apple certified technician work or upgrade a Mac as well. $$$
    Please be smart before buying.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 06-13-2008 at 11:41 PM.

I don't agree with that assesment Duke, I do know Mac's are far superior in terms ofHardware and software relaibility. They are just better built. I wish I had the money for it, I just don't right now.

I bought the one listed above. It will be here on Wednesday. I'll let everyone know how it is. So far, I'm impressed, they shipped within a couple hours of my order. They have already sent my rebate info to me before it even arrived.

And the rebate thing, it is typically handled by an outside party for almost all companies and products.

By the way LA, thanks very much for the info. If I can afford it, my next PC purchase will be a mac. I do want one.

Well, this is a bit late for you but depending on where you live, I suggest, if you don't need something that's 100% up-to-date that you contact a nearby college/university and see if they have a surplus/salvage where they sell computers.

I've bought my last 3 PC's through Purdue salvage. They're about 3 years old and run from $200-300. They leave the Windows OS on, they're completely clean and I buy one about every 2-3 years - right now is THE time to buy because this is when they're updating their computer labs. Plus Purdue still uses XP.

I don't play video games or anything that's a chartbuster so I don't need all that.

Now I buy a new laptop because I use that for GIS work (I have a 25" screen so I go with the 15.4 screen because it fits into my briefcase) but for the PC I can get something with a few miles on it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Thats a good idea DK. I'll have to remember that for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Remember that when you buy a Mac mini, you're also getting all of the software, and it is all excellent. Editing movies, organizing photos, managing email, you name it, it all works. . . . So the mac mini is 599 plus I think apple care is another $100 or so. Add shipping and you're looking at $750. A
    Picasa is free, and WAY better than iPhoto. I'd use Picasa on my iMac if Google would release it. Gmail is better than Mail.app. The new iMovie ok, I'm not crazy about it. I liked the old one better. But the killer app of iLife is iDVD. It's what makes the Mac stand out for home users. And the low-end Mini won't run iDVD, you need to step up to the $800 one. Throw in Applecare and shipping and you're looking at $1000 for a poorly-specced computer with no monitor.

And when it breaks in 2.5 years you get a brand new one free of charge, not a refurb old model, I'm talking the latest one out of the box.
    The mini won't be around in 2.5 years. Jobs hates it. It hasn't been upgraded in almost a year... it's a terrible value right now.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_mini

The ongoing rumor is that the Mini will never get upgraded from where it is now, and will instead be axed.

Over the course of two years, the mac wins the financial race.
    For his use case, a Lenovo with Ubuntu will win hands down if he's got even a tiny bit of computer savvy. I'm not anti-Mac (I own one) but please don't recommend the Mini. It's just a really really really poor value. If you're buying a desktop Mac, you really should start with the iMac.

The Mini is a brilliant concept that I want to like. But Apple has intentionally and continually crippled it so that it doesn't take away from their iMac sales. The Mini is just a better machine for a lot of people, or could be if they'd even try to make it competitive.
    Last edited by Anthem; 06-14-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    I don't agree with that assesment Duke, I do know Mac's are far superior in terms ofHardware and software relaibility. They are just better built. I wish I had the money for it, I just don't right now.
    First off, I am glad you went with the Lenovo over the Mac. But to say that Macs have far better hardware is an illogical statement. When it comes to software reliability, most of the commonly-software built for Mac is made by Apple. (At least all the aformentioned software.)

There is a little bit of a problem with third-party vendors not getting it exactly right, but to state that the Mac has better reliability isn't a strong statement.

You really need to know what you are buying, mainly. Of course you are going to see a few problems with bargain basement brands and what-not, but you get what you pay for.

With a Mac you are obviously spending a lot more money for less hardware capabilities. Your money goes to the few pieces of proprietary software and little glowing Apple logo on the lid.

In the long run, Mac or PC, you need to see what will last for the long run. I'm not talking warranties or protection plans, I'm talking about hardware and or software capabilities. Being an IT professional, you know buying a new computer is like driving a new car off the lot in terms of depreciation. You always want to get the most out of your dollar and make it last. An Apple protection plan is not going to save you from an outdated computer. That isnt' covered in the protection plan.

When it comes to versatility and compatibility, a PC makes the most sense. You have more control over the physical aspects of the machine more than you do a Mac.

Yes, Macs are pretty and they do have a little bit of interesting proprietary software, but you are just spending way too much.

This rant does not include arguements about "photo or video editing" since each PC and Mac has capable and compatible software available.

So Apple's "budget" model comes with no monitor, keyboard or mouse, yet costs $599.

20. 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  21. 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
  22. 80GB Serial ATA drive - What is this? Are we in 1999?
  23. Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) NOT A DVD BURNER
  24. User's Guide (English)
  25. Accessory kit

For a "budget" HP, for $429you get
    Operating systemGenuine Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)edit
    ProcessorAMD Sempron(TM) dual-core 2100 - 1.8GHzedit
    Memory1GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x512)edit
    Graphics CardIntegrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SEedit
    Networking56Kbps Data/Fax Modem for dial-up Internet accessedit
    Hard DriveFREE UPGRADE to 320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 250GBedit
    Primary CD/DVD DriveLightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti driveedit
    Front Productivity Ports2 USB, front audio portsedit
    Sound CardIntegrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio portsedit
    Security SoftwareNo additional security softwareedit
    Productivity SoftwareMicrosoft(R) Works 9.0edit
    SpeakersHP stereo speakers (2.0)edit
    Keyboard and MouseHP keyboard and HP optical mouseedit
    Your additional options:
    Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
    MonitorHP w1707 17-inch widescreen flat paneledit

AND I REITERATE, THIS IS JUST A "BUGDET" ANALYSIS.

Close to the same specs, but with the HP you get a mouse, keyboard, and monitor with speakers. This is clearly a better deal.
  26. Last edited by duke dynamite; 06-16-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Don't buy a Toshiba.

That's all I got.
    I know this wasn;t the reason you said it, but I instantly LOL'd
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond