Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Delaware...yes, it's an actual US state, I looked it up

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Moving to Delaware...yes, it's an actual US state, I looked it up

In about two weeks, I'll no longer be a resident of the Metro Detroit area, for the first time in my life.

Actually, I'll be leaving the midwest entirely and I'll be re-locating myself to Dover, Delaware.

Has anybody here actually been to Delaware before? Half the people I know couldn't spot it on a map, let alone tell me anything about it. I've been there several times, but not nearly enough to form an opinion.

On a side note, does anybody know of a cheaper moving service than U-Haul? They want to charge me $550 for a trailer and a hitch, and the only item of any real size I'm taking with me is my bed.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-16-2008 at 07:52 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Moving to Delaware...yes, it's an actual US state, I looked it up

I've only been through Delaware a few times and literally the only thing I remember is the big Dupont tower thing...

However, I know moving is an incredibly exciting, yet physically and emotionally difficult experience so I wish you the best of luck getting settled in your new surroundings in a couple weeks.

I've been to Delaware...they have no sales tax.

My Uncle was commander of Dover AFB back in the '80's, but I've never been to Dover. I was in and out of Wilmington quite a bit when my sister lived in Chadd's Ford, PA (right on the border). There were tons of malls and shopping centers just inside the border.

Other than that, I have no knowledge other than Dela wore her New Jersey.

That help?

The things I know about Dover:

1. No sales tax
    2. NASCAR holds one of their major races in Dover
    3. They consider themselves a Philadelphia fanbase.

That's the limit of my knowledge.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-16-2008 at 09:15 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

It's flat, lots of beaches and I had a friend from there who got away every chance she could. Of course she liked to ski.

On the plus side, you're not far from DC.

Oh, and if you're walking in the woods watch out for ticks and sand fleas.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I drove through Delaware last summer. It took 20 minutes.

Well, you're less likely to see a car on fire in Delaware as opposed to Detroit, and you can probably put your Kevlar vest up on Ebay, but for some reason my folks hate the NE, and have passed that bias on to me, so I've never been NE of WV.

Banned

Why are you moving? Some exciting development in the life and times of Kstat?

More importantly will you become a 76ers fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, you're less likely to see a car on fire in Delaware as opposed to Detroit, and you can probably put your Kevlar vest up on Ebay, but for some reason my folks hate the NE, and have passed that bias on to me, so I've never been NE of WV.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post

Ooo, you and Dipperdunk could rule the world! Or, at least some Sixers board somewhere.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Three counties? Whats the point?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

woman without a team

A state with only 3 counties. Should make it easy when a weather warning is issued.

1. Delaware is not north of west virginia.

Last edited by Kstat; 06-17-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol Sam View Post
    My girl and I are getting a place out there. She's originally from Delaware.

No, but I'm sure I'll be forced to watch more than a few Eagles games...

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    A state with only 3 counties. Should make it easy when a weather warning is issued.
    I'm told they include the counties in maryland as well as northern virginia.

Mood

Yeah, I was gonna say that there are a couple of NASCAR races there...

I'm not sure Delaware's ever decided if it's part of the NE or part of the South.

Just remember everything and every contest is void in deleware and rhode island, so you won't be able to participate in most things.....

Interestingly, I am moving to Rhode Island in two weeks.

kstat, don't rent uhaul, the trucks tend to be older and therefore less efficient with gas. Budget is a nice way to go. Also consider PODs.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Delaware isn't bad.
    The extent of my knowledge about Delaware:

1.) I go to the beach there a few times every summer. It's pretty close to DC.

2.)A friend of mine is a member of the family that owns DiSabatino construction and they basically build everything in Delaware, I see their signs there all the time.

3.) Now I am sort of a prick but I think there are a lot of hillbillies there. But then again, I am sort of a prick.

4.) Their governor is Jabba the Hutt's aunt:

BRING ME WOOKIE

If you want to ever call me up and incite a beach brawl over whether or not the NBA is somewhat fixed, let me know. Have fun rooting for an out of market team, believe me, it's fun.

streets ahead

joe biden and tom carper represent DE and my co-worker anna is from there. other than that and driving thru on my way from dc to nyc i really don't know much. enjoy becoming an east coast snob like the rest of us midwestern transplants.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I'm not sure Delaware's ever decided if it's part of the NE or part of the South.
    i'm not sure anybody cared about anything delaware decided
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 06-17-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    i'm not sure anybody cared about anything delaware decided
    I'm certain that during the Civil War if DE had gone with the South, Maryland would have invaded and tried to annex it.

On a depressing note, I believe Dover AFB is still where all of the bodies of troops killed overseas are flown.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I'm certain that during the Civil War if DE had gone with the South, Maryland would have invaded and tried to annex it.
    having lived here, i'm convinced that had delaware decided to join dixie maryland would have played the "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING LA LA LA" game until DE changed its mind and joined the cool state table.
    This is the darkest timeline.

It's home to the most corporation headquarters in the US, or something like that.

I was flipping through channels one day and caught a few minutes of a show on the History Channel called 'The States.'