Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Wayman Tisdale...

Default RIP Wayman Tisdale...

Sucks.....

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...n+Tisdale+dies

Wayman Tisdale, a former Indiana Pacer who became a jazz musician, has died, an Oklahoma television station reports on its Web site.

KTUL-TV reported that Tisdale died this morning at St. John Medical Center in Tulsa. Tisdale’s wife Regina confirmed his death, KTUL said.
    Advertisement
    Quantcast

Tisdale had cancer and last year had a leg amputated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to makaveli For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RIP Wayman Tisdale...

RIP....Wayman.

The man always had a smile on his face.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Very sad. 44 years old and an excellent Jazz musician. My condolences to his family and friends.

It's been a rough few years for him, he is in a better place.

I really hope the team honors him somehow. I would like to see a memorial band on the jerseys. He was a good player.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 05-15-2009 at 11:31 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

ESPN story...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4168852

Wayman Tisdale, the legendary Oklahoma Sooner who this year was elected to the College Basketball Hall of Fame, died Friday morning. He was 44.

His passing was confirmed by the University of Oklahoma.

The three-time All-American at Oklahoma, who lost his right leg to bone cancer, had been fighting the disease since 2007. The cancer was discovered when doctors were repairing his leg, which he broke after falling down stairs in his home.

It was determined, then, that the the best course of treatment was to amputate Tisdale's leg, just above the knee.

Tisdale was a collegiate star at Oklahoma, where he averaged 25.6 points and 10.1 rebounds during his three-year career.

He played 12 seasons in the NBA, averaging 15.3 points and 6.1 rebounds in 840 games. His best season came in 1989-90 with Sacramento, where he averaged 22.3 points and 7.5 rebounds.

Pretty sad when a Pacer or former Pacer passes away. Aside from Roger Brown, Reggie Harding and Tisdale does anyone know of any other Pacers who are no longer with us?

My best to his family.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Wow. I feel pretty old

There was never a nicer guy who played for the Pacers. Always said that Wayman and Rik Smits were the two nicest guys ever.

So sad. I still remember back when he and another Pacer (was it Chuck?) filmed a commercial for McDonald's at Lincoln Middle School when I was there. The whole school was buzzing, even though none of us saw him, haha.

He was a great scorer and seemed like a great guy.

Love ya, Tis. RIP.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

RIP.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. I feel pretty old

There was never a nicer guy who played for the Pacers. Always said that Wayman and Rik Smits were the two nicest guys ever.
    I agree, he was on the "84 Olympic team coached by Bobby Knight. The last team to use college players and win the gold. There are videos of him on youtube playing jazz with many well known, legendary musicians. The all-time leading scorer at Oklahoma. Avg 22 and 7 for Sacramento in 1990 while shooting 53% his best NBA year. RIP, you know he's in a better place.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, this is really horrible to hear.

Admittedly I never saw him play for the Pacers. In fact I never knew he played for the Pacers until I started reading this board a few years ago. I do remember him playing for the Suns, I think.

I did know about his cancer and at least he is in a better place without the cancer and all the pain that accompanies that. I second Duke in that we need to have a memorial band on the jerseys for him and some sort of acknowledgment at the first home game next year.

My thoughts are with his family in this difficult time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    Aside from Roger Brown, Reggie Harding and Tisdale does anyone know of any other Pacers who are no longer with us?

Malik Sealy.

EDIT: He died May 20, 2000.

Last edited by Putnam; 05-15-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Pretty sad when a Pacer or former Pacer passes away. Aside from Roger Brown, Reggie Harding and Tisdale does anyone know of any other Pacers who are no longer with us?

My best to his family.

Gus Johnson 4-29-87

Anthony Frederick 5-29-03

Bobby Joe Edmonds 11-12-91

John Williamson 11-30-96
    Last edited by Jose Slaughter; 05-15-2009 at 01:26 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know, I wasn't a huge fan of him as a player in the starting lineup. This is never a criticism you hear of players today, but he could not play facing the basket. He was an undersized post player... even though he was bigger the Barkley. That just shows you how legitimate (sorry, couldn't resist) Barkley was. He was a good change-of-pace sixth man, especially for the '86-'87 team.

But the man was always a first-class human being. Always had a smile on his face. Always charitable. This is sad.

Prayers for the Tisdale family.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post

Wow talk about a name from the past. I distinctly remember seeing him walk out of MSA with a woman on each arm telling Chuck Person 'Hey ChuckAAA I'll see you later I'm going to party'. What's funny is Tisdale came out at the same time and just gave a big grin as he got into his car. Or maybe Reggie???? Memory is getting bad as the more gray hair I collect.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

most of you remember him for his excellence on the court. I remember him because of his jazz legacy. He was one of the top bassists in the world, and will be sorely missed. RIP
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Very saddening news.

I had been under the impression that the removal of his leg was to catch the cancer
    in time before it spread. Apparently not though.

He always seemed to be a very likeable person.

RIP Tis

Wayman has a mixed legacy as a player, I guess. I remember him being a sort of bridge from the mediocre years to the almost, but not quite years. I enjoyed watching him play as much as you could enjoy watching any pacer play back then. It was a study in frustration at times, because you just knew they were good enough on paper (how many times did we hear that), but they always under achieved. It was almost easier mentally sitting through the horrible years, because any success was an over achievement.

Wayman's legacy as a person is far from mixed. By all accounts, he was pretty much revered as a positive locker room presence and an excellent teammate, as well as an outstanding member of the community. I met Wayman a few times, running into him here and there around town. I usually just sheepishly said hi and moved on, but there was one day I got up the courage to actually engage him in conversation. I was 15 and on my way to drivers ed (LOL) and had some time to kill between school and the time is began. Walked into the west 10th st. Mcdonalds and sat down. About 5 minutes later this extremely tall man with the cutest little girl walked up and sat next to me. (It was the long row of tables set up with the one long bench type thing) Too late to make this long story short, but we just had the nicest conversation about basketball and life and politics and whatever. I would not have bothered him as he was eating and with his daughter, but he initiated the conversation. He expressed genuine interest in my mundane existence and flashed that huge smile of his at least 20 times. I don't post here much, I lurk mostly,but it was THAT day that has stuck with me for the last 20 odd years. That day I never forgot. That day that makes me think of his daughter. That day that makes me genuinely sad that the world has lost such a fine human being from this earth.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to makaveli For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Gus Johnson 4-29-87

Bobby Joe Edmonds 11-12-91

John Williamson 11-30-66
    Wow. I didn't realize Anthony Fredrick died. I am friends with a Pacers player from that era, and Anthony went out with us once. It was the only time I was around him or spoke to him (and I didn't really speak to him too much that night). I am short, and I guess a lot of people assumed I couldn't be out with two professional atheltes unless I was one too. As such, about six or seven times that night I was asked if I was the kicker for the Colts.

Also, you meant 1996 for Super John's death, not 1966.

Finally, it made me sad when I heard about The Tis. I just told my kids about him Monday. We were watching PTI and it was the anniversary of when the Knicks "won" the Ewing lottery, and both Mike and Tony called it fixed. My sons, 12 and 9, were asking me about it. They asked who the Pacers got and I told them Wayman Tisdale. They had never heard of him so I was telling them what kind of player he was and how he had a great personality.
    Last edited by Granville; 05-15-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling

, Wayman and my condolences to the Tisdale family.

Very sad news

RIP
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Thanks for catching that typo Granville.

I still remember the draft party when he was drafted - you would have thought we won the championship - the place went wild. I was convinced we had just drafted our superstar who would lead us to the promised land
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
    Wayman has a mixed legacy as a player, I guess. I remember him being a sort of bridge from the mediocre years to the almost, but not quite years. I enjoyed watching him play as much as you could enjoy watching any pacer play back then. It was a study in frustration at times, because you just knew they were good enough on paper (how many times did we hear that), but they always under achieved. It was almost easier mentally sitting through the horrible years, because any success was an over achievement.

Wayman's legacy as a person is far from mixed. By all accounts, he was pretty much revered as a positive locker room presence and an excellent teammate, as well as an outstanding member of the community. I met Wayman a few times, running into him here and there around town. I usually just sheepishly said hi and moved on, but there was one day I got up the courage to actually engage him in conversation. I was 15 and on my way to drivers ed (LOL) and had some time to kill between school and the time is began. Walked into the west 10th st. Mcdonalds and sat down. About 5 minutes later this extremely tall man with the cutest little girl walked up and sat next to me. (It was the long row of tables set up with the one long bench type thing) Too late to make this long story short, but we just had the nicest conversation about basketball and life and politics and whatever. I would not have bothered him as he was eating and with his daughter, but he initiated the conversation. He expressed genuine interest in my mundane existence and flashed that huge smile of his at least 20 times. I don't post here much, I lurk mostly,but it was THAT day that has stuck with me for the last 20 odd years. That day I never forgot. That day that makes me think of his daughter. That day that makes me genuinely sad that the world has lost such a fine human being from this earth.
    Nice, nice story.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ABADays For This Useful Post: